• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Mindwipe

Watching the G1 movie with my Son and I've always wondered did they ever cover the period between season 2 and the movie either in comic or animated form?

Did Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, Springer etc ever get an official backstory? Cheers.

There is an argument that DW were sort of going for that, apart from the rather random appearances of Cyclonus and Scourge.

Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus etc have official backstories in Marvel comic continuity. Which includes the movie in an alternate timeline.

Firemind

9kCg5VI.jpg

Defensor is a bit short innit? Look at his arms in relation to his legs. He looks like a midget!

Defensor is a bit short innit? Look at his arms in relation to his legs. He looks like a midget!

All the CW combiners proportions are a bit off. Either the limbs are too skinny, too fat, or they have way too long of arms. One of the big offenders is the tiny hands and feet included with them which make them look goofier. The hands are way too big because of the included weapons on them, and the feet are too small in proportion.

If you put the feet upgrade 3rd party put out, it adds a good bit of height to his legs and better looking feet, gives whole thing a much better presentation.

If you're not a stickler for who is what limb, the scramble city mechanic showcases that some of the molds just look better as arms/feet than the alternative.

There's also some slightly different fan transformations that will result in a better looking proportion.

(Blades can be collapsed a bit to look a bit better, I think, Streetwise looks better as a foot if his hood is flipped up and I think First Aid makes a better arm than Rook does.

Rook of course has a huge knee if you do him as a leg though. He really makes the case for trying to get a hold of Groove. I like his bot and alt modes but none of his combiner modes much.)

Just stumbled on this thread a few days ago. As someone who is old enough to have owned the G1 Transformers when they were originally released in the 80s. I've been out of the Transformers game for probably 25 years and accidentally 2 or 3 weeks back found out that they were releasing a giant Devastator and have one pre-ordered on Amazon. My question is where else to start if I want to get back into Transformers? Should I be buying the other Combiner Wars stuff? Best I can tell that is the current line of toys and I do kind of like the idea of having a bunch of big combined Transformers on display.

Just stumbled on this thread a few days ago. As someone who is old enough to have owned the G1 Transformers when they were originally released in the 80s. I've been out of the Transformers game for probably 25 years and accidentally 2 or 3 weeks back found out that they were releasing a giant Devastator and have one pre-ordered on Amazon. My question is where else to start if I want to get back into Transformers? Should I be buying the other Combiner Wars stuff? Best I can tell that is the current line of toys and I do kind of like the idea of having a bunch of big combined Transformers on display.

I also got into Transformers with G1, way back in the mid 80's, and started buying the comic from issue 1. :) I had an off period during the Beast War era up until RiD 2000, when I was already an adult and started collecting them again, now having probably in the hundreds. :D

One thing you should know is that TF collecting requires quite a bit of space and disposable money. If you're OK with that, there are a metric ton of places where to start, but primarily there is two avenues: the Generations/Universe/Combiner Wars brand, and Masterpieces. I personally like the former better, as they offer a huge selection of characters and molds, are usually more pleasant to transform, and the smaller scale makes the great engineering stand out more. I only own one Masterpiece in fact, MP-01.

Regarding where to start within Generations, I would actually try to go for the older stuff that's not entirely sold out already or being sold for scalper prices, as this is probably your last chance to get it. If you can get your hands on the Reveal the Shield Rodimus vs Cyclonus pack, those are two of the best molds in the series in their best color schemes and look amazing in both modes. It also comes with a Matrix and a Targetmaster.

Aside from that, we were recently graced with an actual Arcee after thirty damn years, so you might want to hold into one in case it takes them another 30 years to release a new one :D. I see it's already climbing in price, you should try to pay no more than 20$ for it.

Oh, we also recently got what to me is the best Megatron in the entire history of Transformers. This should set you back 50$ but IMHO it's entirely worth it. Be careful not to get Armada Megatron instead as it's a slight remold-recolor of it but probably of no interest to a G1 fan.

Two more recommendations:

1) If you still haven't, familiarize yourself with the size designations and price points (Legend, Deluxe, Voyager and Leader especially) to know what you are getting and whether it's a fair price or not.
2) If you are looking for specific characters, feel free to post who they are here so we can give you pointers towards what representations of that character are available and which ones we think are the best.

I also got into Transformers with G1, way back in the mid 80's, and started buying the comic from issue 1. :) I had an off period during the Beast War era up until RiD 2000, when I was already an adult and started collecting them again, now having probably in the hundreds. :D

One thing you should know is that TF collecting requires quite a bit of space and disposable money. If you're OK with that, there are a metric ton of places where to start, but primarily there is two avenues: the Generations/Universe/Combiner Wars brand, and Masterpieces. I personally like the former better, as they offer a huge selection of characters and molds, are usually more pleasant to transform, and the smaller scale makes the great engineering stand out more. I only own one Masterpiece in fact, MP-01.

Regarding where to start within Generations, I would actually try to go for the older stuff that's not entirely sold out already or being sold for scalper prices, as this is probably your last chance to get it. If you can get your hands on the Reveal the Shield Rodimus vs Cyclonus pack, those are two of the best molds in the series in their best color schemes and look amazing in both modes. It also comes with a Matrix and a Targetmaster.

Aside from that, we were recently graced with an actual Arcee after thirty damn years, so you might want to hold into one in case it takes them another 30 years to release a new one :D. I see it's already climbing in price, you should try to pay no more than 20$ for it.

Oh, we also recently got what to me is the best Megatron in the entire history of Transformers. This should set you back 50$ but IMHO it's entirely worth it. Be careful not to get Armada Megatron instead as it's a slight remold-recolor of it but probably of no interest to a G1 fan.

Two more recommendations:

1) If you still haven't, familiarize yourself with the size designations and price points (Legend, Deluxe, Voyager and Leader especially) to know what you are getting and whether it's a fair price or not.
2) If you are looking for specific characters, feel free to post who they are here so we can give you pointers towards what representations of that character are available and which ones we think are the best.

Thanks so much for the very detailed reply. I certainly understand the size and money thing. I literally haven't bought or even touched a Transformer since the early 90s. From what research I've done, the Combiner Wars series looked like a good place for me to jump back in as they seem to have quite a selection and of course the fun of combining them. Like I said I have a Devastator set on order because it seemed like a really easy place to jump back in as all 6 Constructicons are sold in a package together. Just trying to wrap my head around where I should go next as I never realized just how many Transformers are still being produced.

Also maybe a dumb noob question, but I was planning on displaying these in my souse somewhere. People do that right? Like do people buy them and keep them in the box to collect and hope they are worth something in the future, or do they open them up and put them on display that way?

Jobbs

Banned

If you have the money to spend, I recommend the masterpiece ones from takara. They are G1 based and have correct scale with eachother. I have a few of them and plan to get more as I can.

sfuSkNv.jpg

If you aren't looking to spend quite so much, I'd suggest looking at the Generations line. From what I've seen the quality is pretty good on most of them, but you won't get anything on the level of the MPs.

Bloodember

Also maybe a dumb noob question, but I was planning on displaying these in my souse somewhere. People do that right? Like do people buy them and keep them in the box to collect and hope they are worth something in the future, or do they open them up and put them on display that way?

That would be entirely up to you. I open some, keep some sealed. Right now I haven't opened any of my combiner wars series, mainly do to not having any space to display them. I also don't buy all of them, I just buy the characters I like.

If you plan on just reselling them in the future then by all means leave them sealed.

Thanks so much for the very detailed reply. I certainly understand the size and money thing. I literally haven't bought or even touched a Transformer since the early 90s. From what research I've done, the Combiner Wars series looked like a good place for me to jump back in as they seem to have quite a selection and of course the fun of combining them. Like I said I have a Devastator set on order because it seemed like a really easy place to jump back in as all 6 Constructicons are sold in a package together. Just trying to wrap my head around where I should go next as I never realized just how many Transformers are still being produced.

Combiner Wars is really a rebranding of Generations, it's pretty much the same line, just this year and the next have a focus on, you guessed it, combiners. The one thing is that getting a whole combiner can be quite an investment, while getting individual figures that are more iconic is also much cheaper.

That is entirely up to you. I have lots of them on shelves next to my TV, which to me is half of the fun as they are great to look at and it's very pleasing to me to just grab one and transforming it whenever I feel like it. My best real-life friend went a step further and bought some Ikea cabinets with transparent doors. I never even consider keeping any of them in the box, I never consider reselling them; I mean, why even buy them in the first place? At that point one's not much different than a scalper. But that's my take, and everyone has their own. It's your money and your plastic crack, so it's also your choice. :D

Firemind

I maybe transform them once, then put them back in a box. The worst thing is having them collect dust, which is super annoying to clean, especially the joints. I really should get a can of compressed air. My dream is to get a glass cabinet to display them in. Dust free!

aparisi2274

Finally bought a display case yesterday and put all my figures out...

19803676922_b7d464de89_c.jpg

19622970660_e0e21af1fc_c.jpg

19811005505_7531f7d312_c.jpg

19815822331_71f4f2d29e_c.jpg

Looking at MP Megatron makes realize how crappy of an MP he was... I really wish Takara does a new one that is more in line with the Apollyon 3rd party out there... If not, I may need to get the Apollyon figure to replace this one.

Finally bought a display case yesterday and put all my figures out...

Looking at MP Megatron makes realize how crappy of an MP he was... I really wish Takara does a new one that is more in line with the Apollyon 3rd party out there... If not, I may need to get the Apollyon figure to replace this one.

I really disliked MP Megs too (a friend of mine has it), it was the point where I decided I would skip MPs wholesale. To drive the point home, a tab broke as it was transforming it in front of me. I don't know how it would look next to masterpieces, but the Combiner Wars Megatron is simply amazing. As a bonus, it transforms into something a little more interesting than a fucking gun.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I really disliked MP Megs too (a friend of mine has it), it was the point where I decided I would skip MPs wholesale. To drive the point home, a tab broke as it was transforming it in front of me. I don't know how it would look next to masterpieces, but the Combiner Wars Megatron is simply amazing. As a bonus, it transforms into something a little more interesting than a fucking gun.

CW Megs is great, but doesn't work alongside the MPs at all. If you want a good MP Megatron, your only real option right now is the third party Apollyon figure.

urQgPBS.jpg

The orange plug is pretty easy to pull out with a wrench, I've just been too lazy to do it.

Cheerilee

My question is where else to start if I want to get back into Transformers?

Not sure if you're interested in watching cartoons or just collecting the new toys.

If you want to overdose on old cartoon nostalgia, you can get the Complete Original Series on Amazon for $50. You can marathon it or just watch a few episodes here and there whenever you're in the mood. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with Transformers The Movie (1986), which doesn't seem to be cheaply available anywhere right now (or I'm just not looking hard enough).

If you're interested in a newer cartoon, Transformers Animated is a fun series with lots of G1 fanservice (it's the kind of show which could have Weird Al Yankovic guest star as a Junkion) which aired on the Cartoon Network a while back. It's available on DVD for $30.

But the best Transformers show in recent years is Transformers Prime. Three seasons and a movie. It's great. Highly recommended. 1 2 3 Movie.

Don't watch the big-budget live-action Michael Bay Transformers movies. They're trash.

If you're interested in reading comic books, they've apparently never been better. You can probably wait around for a Humble Bundle and get the entire original series, or catch up on all the new ones from publisher IDW, digitally for about a buck. You can read them on your phone or whatever. I'm not up to speed on them myself.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If you want to overdose on old cartoon nostalgia, you can get the Complete Original Series on Amazon for $50. You can marathon it or just watch a few episodes here and there whenever you're in the mood. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with Transformers The Movie (1986), which doesn't seem to be cheaply available anywhere right now (or I'm just not looking hard enough).

There's no good option for TF:TM in the US right now. It's on Blu-ray in the UK but it's a pricey import. I have to believe they'll do a 30th anniversary Blu-ray release for the US in 2016, though.

aparisi2274

Is there anyone in this thread who is going to wait on Devastator and get the jpn version? I have a way to order from amazon japan, and its tempting, but I am not sure I can wait until Dec for the figure to release...

Whats the general consensus on this? Just looking to see who is waiting as opposed to those who are just going to get the US version.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is there anyone in this thread who is going to wait on Devastator and get the jpn version? I have a way to order from amazon japan, and its tempting, but I am not sure I can wait until Dec for the figure to release...

Whats the general consensus on this? Just looking to see who is waiting as opposed to those who are just going to get the US version.

I'm getting the Takara version but I'm also going to get the US version because screw waiting until December. When the Takara version shows up I'll just sell off the Hasbro one.

I'm getting the Takara version as well. It's going to cost me an eye and a kidney with shipping and Spain's abusive customs, but I just know if I get the Hasbro one I won't be able to stop thinking about those elbows.

sol_bad

From what I heard they're legit. However they ship from China so if you live in NA it could take a while.

I'll have to give them a shot some time and see how they go.
Since starting my Transformers collecting I have acquired Deluxe Chromia, Windblade and Waspinator. Arcee apparently keeps coming into stock here in Makati but I keep missing it.
:(

I have also bought Voyager Whirl and Rhinox for $20aud each. I've also ordered Unite Wariors Superion but it won't ship until at least August 1st.

If you guys want to try another online shop for Transformers there is an Australia store called Premium Collectibles. They ship overseas but I have no idea what shipping costs, product prices are really decent though. Keep in mind they are very small compared to BBTS and Robot Kingdom. Most older stock is out of stock as well.

http://www.premiumcollectables.com.au/

ramparter

Banned
Cross posting from Action-Figure Gaf

I got the Protectobots in the mail today and I had to talk about them because they're so cool.

Starting with the individual bots and they're easily my favorite complete set released so far. Blades and First Aid feel like the real intended uses of their molds. They both have a ton of personality. First Aid in particular is such an impressive remold. Almost every body panel for the car has been touched. The toy shares a chest and skeleton with Offroad, but that's about it. It's one of the most extensive remolds I've seen. I wish they had done something with Blades' missiles as a rescue helicopter with weapons seems silly, but Hot Spot is a firetruck with guns so that's a theme with the whole group, haha.

Rook and Hot Spot are the two new molds of the group and they are both so cool. I'm glad the fandom is accepting Rook more than Alpha Bravo because that figure is great. He fits right in with the group and it makes sense to take the car sized police bike out. Hot Spot is easily the best combiner core yet. The vehicle mode is cool and the robot is even cooler. He does suffer with feeling quite a bit more fragile than the past combiner cores. It definitely feels like the ladder connection could be delicate and the way the knees works is odd. He also has the same hip problems ever core has had. One ratchet click out is too wide spread and default is completely legs together straight. Overall, though, he's just so cool these problems go away.

Onto his combined mode and he gets even better. The transformation of Hot Spot is just so inventive and cool. I like the way the back of Hot Spot is the front of Defensor. He also has a ton of personality. The head sculpt is so spot on and I love the hockey goalie proportions. He's just so cool.

If I had a couple problems, the first would be his top heaviness causes him to lean forward. Going back one click on the hip fixes this on mine, but it could be better. Also, his combined gun is terrible. I've settled on leaving them uncombined and underslung on his arms. I like to think of them as water guns that help his rescue missions.

Defensor is easily the best in the series. The only one that has a chance to beat it is Takara's Bruticus if it comes with their own shuttle Blast Off mold as has been hinted at. He's just so damn cool. I honestly can't really think of a complaint that really detracts. If you like Transformers, you should have this set.

TL:DR

Defensor is freaking cool and every TF fan should own him.

So jealous!!! I only recently found out about the Combiners War line. I think it was an article about the new Devastator coming. Anyway I looked for the protectobots but there's nothing left here in greece at least in the eshops.

Prices on euro amazon stores and ebay are already going up. Would cost at least 40 eur just for the Hot Spot.

This is the first time in more than 10 years I'm actually considering buying Transformers action figures.

So those with Devestator, how solid does he feel when combined? Is he a fragile flopsy mess like so many other combiners or does he feel farily sturdy ?

yami4ct

So those with Devestator, how solid does he feel when combined? Is he a fragile flopsy mess like so many other combiners or does he feel farily sturdy ?

I don't have one myself, but every review I've read he's the most solid combiner they've ever seen. He's a rock.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

He's rock solid. You can hold him by his arm or leg and he'll stay together. Everything is locked together by at least three points of contact. He doesn't feel fragile or fiddly like the big third party combiners often do.

aparisi2274

Summer Wonderfest happened in Tokyo recently, and there were some good, clean shots of MP Ironhide...

08__scaled_800.jpg

09__scaled_800.jpg

10__scaled_800.jpg

11__scaled_800.jpg

(I love that they are throwing in his death face from the 86 movie. HA!)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Summer Wonderfest happened in Tokyo recently, and there were some good, clean shots of MP Ironhide...

08__scaled_800.jpg

09__scaled_800.jpg

10__scaled_800.jpg

11__scaled_800.jpg

(I love that they are throwing in his death face from the 86 movie. HA!)

They really should have tried to fill his chest cavity in more. That looks really bad.

aparisi2274

I got my MX-I Apollyon today, and it was the best decision I could've made with regards to keeping my MP collection proportionate to each other...

Just look at this photo... Takara needs to take notice and make a new mold or something....

20092865472_c0064e8952_b.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Takara is aware of the demand for a new Megatron, I'm sure, but I suspect they're hesitant to make a whole new MP mold for a figure that can never be released at US retail.

yami4ct

Takara is aware of the demand for a new Megatron, I'm sure, but I suspect they're hesitant to make a whole new MP mold for a figure that can never be released at US retail.

Eh. I really doubt that's the worry. Most of the car MPs have not been brought over and may never be brought over due to licensing. Star Saber is a huge MP made just for the Japanese market. I don't think Hasbro even co-funds the MP molds they do use. There will be a MP Megatron 2.0 eventually (and probably, fairly soon). Takara are probably waiting for the right time in the schedule and are putting the most into the design so he can be as perfect as MP Convoy 2. Making a G1 accurate Megatron that still transforms is a difficult problem no one has solved yet.

aparisi2274

Eh. I really doubt that's the worry. Most of the car MPs have not been brought over and may never be brought over due to licensing. Star Saber is a huge MP made just for the Japanese market. I don't think Hasbro even co-funds the MP molds they do use. There will be a MP Megatron 2.0 eventually (and probably, fairly soon). Takara are probably waiting for the right time in the schedule and are putting the most into the design so he can be as perfect as MP Convoy 2. Making a G1 accurate Megatron that still transforms is a difficult problem no one has solved yet.

The 3rd party Megatron I posted in the pic transformers and represents his G1 counterpart fairly well...

yami4ct

The 3rd party Megatron I posted in the pic transformers and represents his G1 counterpart fairly well...

He's close, the closest we've seen yet, but I still don't think he nails the quality I'd expect from the MP line. He's too squat, I don't like the thin waist design the feet are a bit too flat and the kibble on the legs is still really awkward. He also has the typical 3rd Party issue of the face sculpt being just off enough to be bothersome. That's not to say he's not way better than the original MP. He totally is. He just isn't good enough for me to be willing to put him with my MPs. Still gonna wait on TT's.

I'm a bit of a harsh critic, though. The only 3rd Party toys that go for MP style and I think nail it enough to deserve being on the same shelf are those MP Dinobots you see pictures of everywhere. Apollyon, Quakewave, that new Preceptor, etc. just don't do it for me.

aparisi2274

He's close, the closest we've seen yet, but I still don't think he nails the quality I'd expect from the MP line. He's too squat, I don't like the thin waist design the feet are a bit too flat and the kibble on the legs is still really awkward. He also has the typical 3rd Party issue of the face sculpt being just off enough to be bothersome. That's not to say he's not way better than the original MP. He totally is. He just isn't good enough for me to be willing to put him with my MPs. Still gonna wait on TT's.

I'm a bit of a harsh critic, though. The only 3rd Party toys that go for MP style and I think nail it enough to deserve being on the same shelf are those MP Dinobots you see pictures of everywhere. Apollyon, Quakewave, that new Preceptor, etc. just don't do it for me.

I like that this 3rd party version is perfectly proportionate with all my newer MP figures. He is the same in height as MP-10 Prime, MP Soundwave, MP Starscream.

I used to hate the my MP Megatron towered over all of them. It was so weird... Also, he had no waist, his legs were to thin... his face sculpt was horrible.

How I wish Takara would just make a new MP Megatron that falls in line with the newer figures in the series.

yami4ct

I like that this 3rd party version is perfectly proportionate with all my newer MP figures. He is the same in height as MP-10 Prime, MP Soundwave, MP Starscream.

I used to hate the my MP Megatron towered over all of them. It was so weird... Also, he had no waist, his legs were to thin... his face sculpt was horrible.

How I wish Takara would just make a new MP Megatron that falls in line with the newer figures in the series.

I get it. There's a reason my MP Megs sits in a separate display case from my other MPs along with Convoy 1. He was cool in the day, but he just doesn't fit any more. I just can't see myself buying a 3rd Party stopgap figure when a better, more accurate Takara MP is inevitable. My MP Decipticon display is so sparse (Soundwave, his cassettes, Thundercracker, King Starscream), that the lack of a Megs to lead them doesn't bug me much. If we had a bunch more Decepticon MPs, I'd be more antsy.

I also much rather TT take their time with as important a character as Megs to give us the same great quality of Convoy 2.0 and the car bots rather than him ending up a rushed job like Soundwave or Star Saber.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Star Saber was able to be released in Australia, though, which a gun Megatron could not be. The difficulty of releasing a large expensive mold overseas if it becomes a gun is the problem, it's not speculation. The question is whether Takara thinks they have a large enough Japanese + import audience for it to be worth the costs of making a new Megatron. My guess would be the answer has been and will continue to be no. Apollyon is close enough for the time being, anyway.

Also I think a lot of the "not of the quality" statements you make are fairly laughable when MP Ironhide looks like he does. Apollyon is easily within Takara MP standards.

yami4ct

Star Saber was able to be released in Australia, though, which a gun Megatron could not be. The difficulty of releasing a large expensive mold overseas if it becomes a gun is the problem, it's not speculation. The question is whether Takara thinks they have a large enough Japanese + import audience for it to be worth the costs of making a new Megatron. My guess would be the answer has been and will continue to be no. Apollyon is close enough for the time being, anyway.

Also I think a lot of the "not of the quality" statements you make are fairly laughable when MP Ironhide looks like he does. Apollyon is easily within Takara MP standards.

Ironhide isn't even out yet. His design (particularly the face) is likely to be tweaked between now and release. There also just isn't really enough out to judge him. Apollyon very much is able to be judged and it just doesn't do it for me. He's a fine stand in, if that's what you're looking for, but I'm happy to keep waiting for the 2.0.

I also really heavily doubt that TT thinks about the audience outside of Japan at all when doing MPs. If their partners can use it, they have no problem with that, but every MP release has been Japan first for TT.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ironhide isn't even out yet. His design (particularly the face) is likely to be tweaked between now and release. There also just isn't really enough out to judge him. Apollyon very much is able to be judged and it just doesn't do it for me. He's a fine stand in, if that's what you're looking for, but I'm happy to keep waiting for the 2.0.

It's not the face on Ironhide so much as the hollow torso, the oversized chest window/grill piece, the ugly (and off-model) square panel below the neck, and numerous other cut corners and strange choices that make him look distinctly subpar in comparison to the other MP carbots. I doubt his basic transformation scheme or engineering will change much, and he's a far more flawed representation of Ironhide than Apollyon is of Megatron. Neither are perfect, but both of them are good examples of impossible transformations vs. animation models, so there will always be compromise.

Apollyon's about as good as it's going to get. I'd like the leg kibble to plug in and secure against the leg, and for his legs to be just a tad longer, but there's nothing wrong with Apollyon that makes me really care about a TT version being in the pipeline or not. Frankly I'd rather have the Coneheads or Triple Changers from TT, especially since the third party attempts at Astrotrain have been...let's just say "lacking" so far.

I also really heavily doubt that TT thinks about the audience outside of Japan at all when doing MPs. If their partners can use it, they have no problem with that, but every MP release has been Japan first for TT.

TT thinks about it because they're partnered with Hasbro, and Hasbro does indeed have a say in what happens with the MP line. If Megatron is floated, Hasbro's reaction is "Well we can't do anything with that." Molds are extremely expensive to make, so all possibly revenue streams must be considered. This is why Japan gets all those weird repaints and why we're still seeing those "Year of the _____" releases of MP-10 and now Soundwave. For a mold the size and complexity required for an MP-10 equivalent Megatron, that cuts tremendously into the potential revenue, especially compared to the much simpler cars. I guarantee a large part of the reason Megatron 2.0 is taking so long is because of his alt mode and the complications it introduces in Western markets, making him automatically the least profitable major character they could make.

aparisi2274

Megatron is a pretty old mold. They've upped their MP design since it was released.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, but the simple fact is that TT will most likely not take the time to make a Megatron 2.0 MP with a gun alt-mode because, well, its a gun. And it would be a definite no go in territories outside of Japan, and I am sure Hasbro would love to get a MP Megatron to the states, which if that is the case, it would most likely have to be a tank of some sort, and so you're now moving away from G1 and over to G2. Sure TT has been testing the waters with some G2 stuff, most recently with Bumblebee and the gold paint job, but as for Megatron, if it's not a gun, its not G1, and unfortunately that is what most of the MP figures have been based off of, their G1 alt-mode.

I mean who really knows what'll happen. Do I want to see an official MP Megatron 2.0? Absolutely? Am I really happy with the Apollyon figure? You bet!

Tizoc

Yo this MTMTE issue was character centric but an interesting one
how did Red Alert figure out that Swerve might be the spy though?

But gatdayum, Skids is the 9th Doctor, Nightbeat is Luthor, Rodimus/Hot Rod is something straight out of the 70s and 80s, and I'm still trying to figure out who Megs is supposed to be lol.

lOmUGXi.jpg

Oh yeah... Siegfried awesome stuff.

Err isn't that Hun-Gurr?

Top Bottom