• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Recall

imagekbanf.jpg

Hot Rod/Rodimus is ace.

I'm now the proud owner of a Combiner Wars Defensor. Turns out a friend of mine discovered a local shop with both Protectobots in stock (apparently Hasbro is now distributing Combiner Wars in Spain) and crazy low prices (again, for Spain) for deluxes and especially voyagers (24€ rather than the usual 30+). I also got a Cyclonus.

The official mode for Defensor, with Streetwise as a leg and Blades as an arm looks so much worse than switching them around, both for symmetry and general looks, it's not even funny. I get they were trying to make it more faithful to the original but still, nope.

Jobbs

Banned
Smokescreen remains the best MP transformer, IMO. The mold, while quite elaborate and difficult to transform, is beautiful, particularly in car mode -- And Smokescreen's colors are just so rich and vivid. Hard to beat.

Tracks may give him a run for his money, but so far I haven't seen anything I thought was better. Bumblebee comes close. Wheeljack is disappointing (I'm sure some will disagree, but something about him just doesn't look as cool as I'd hoped, in either car mode or robot mode).

http://i.imgur.com/sfuSkNv.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nothing tops MP-10. Easily the most impressive and best Transformer toy ever made. I would say Sideswipe is probably the best of the MP cars so far, although all of them range from excellent to good. Wheeljack is the least of them, I'd agree, although it's hard to put my finger on just why. I mean he absolutely is Wheeljack, but he just doesn't seem to come together quite as well as Sideswipe or the Nissans.

yami4ct

Nothing tops MP-10. Easily the most impressive and best Transformer toy ever made. I would say Sideswipe is probably the best of the MP cars so far, although all of them range from excellent to good. Wheeljack is the least of them, I'd agree, although it's hard to put my finger on just why. I mean he absolutely is Wheeljack, but he just doesn't seem to come together quite as well as Sideswipe or the Nissans.

I don't agree at all. Haha. To me, the Nissans are the worst car MP. That doesn't make them bad, but they just aren't near as fun. My ranking for the current scaled MPs.

Prime 2>Starscream 2.0>Wheeljack>Sideswipe>Ultra Magnus>Bee>Grimlock>Nissans>Star Saber>Soundwave and Cassettes>getting shot>Rodimus

Is it true Starscream is going to get some reissue?

It's going to get a US release at TRU soon. Online pre-orders sadly sold out, but keep an eye on it. The only differences are the nosecone being blue instead of grey and slightly darker grey on the foot panels. He's also a steal at a $60 MSRP.

Jobbs

Banned

I agree the sideswipe mold is pretty cool (though my preferred character in that mold is Red Alert ;). I tend to display them in vehicle mode, and as far as vehicle mode goes, the Nissans are unbeatable. Sideswipe/RA have among the better robot molds for various reasons. Bumblebee has a very strong car and robot form, and has the added benefit of being IMO thej easiest to transform.

I want an MP Ratchet and MP Trailbreaker. Especially Ratchet. Hope that happens. My memory of the original G1 Ratchet toy, from being a small child, was getting it-- Thinking the car mode was awesome -- Then kinda being like "the fuck is this?" to the absolutely bizarre robot mode. I've wanted a good Ratchet ever since.

yami4ct

I keep hoping Sideswipe will be released domestically here in the States but I'm losing faith.

I imagine if they were going to, they would've. I can see no other reason they would skip right to Prowl and Bluestreak. Hasbro has basically said they have to renogociate the licenses Takara got, so I suspect a lot of car MPs just won't come. Won't be surprised if we never see Sideswipe, Bee, Wheeljack or an eventual Jazz come over as those companies are all tricky to deal with (especially since most of them are actually the same company).

aparisi2274

Smokescreen remains the best MP transformer, IMO. The mold, while quite elaborate and difficult to transform, is beautiful, particularly in car mode -- And Smokescreen's colors are just so rich and vivid. Hard to beat.

Tracks may give him a run for his money, but so far I haven't seen anything I thought was better. Bumblebee comes close. Wheeljack is disappointing (I'm sure some will disagree, but something about him just doesn't look as cool as I'd hoped, in either car mode or robot mode).

http://i.imgur.com/sfuSkNv.jpg

I still feel that Sideswipe is the best of the MP transformers... His robot mode is perfect, and his alt-mode is a frikkin lambo... :)

Savitar

It's going to get a US release at TRU soon. Online pre-orders sadly sold out, but keep an eye on it. The only differences are the nosecone being blue instead of grey and slightly darker grey on the foot panels. He's also a steal at a $60 MSRP.

This excites me.

Then I think how I'm in Canada and likely going to be screwed out of it.

I need to pray to the toy gods.

Enkidu

I want an MP Ratchet and MP Trailbreaker. Especially Ratchet. Hope that happens. My memory of the original G1 Ratchet toy, from being a small child, was getting it-- Thinking the car mode was awesome -- Then kinda being like "the fuck is this?" to the absolutely bizarre robot mode. I've wanted a good Ratchet ever since.
Since they just showed off Ironhide an MP Ratchet is just a matter of time at this point. I just hope they include an optional red Marvel head, it suits him so much better.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't agree at all. Haha. To me, the Nissans are the worst car MP. That doesn't make them bad, but they just aren't near as fun. My ranking for the current scaled MPs.

Prime 2>Starscream 2.0>Wheeljack>Sideswipe>Ultra Magnus>Bee>Grimlock>Nissans>Star Saber>Soundwave and Cassettes>getting shot>Rodimus

That's not too far off my list, but Soundwave would be much, much higher, because he and the cassettes are borderline flawless; Wheeljack would be lower; and Star Saber might join Rodimus below "getting shot." Really wasn't impressed at all with him, and he's probably the only MP I really regret buying. Rodimus is the worst in the MP line, but I only paid $85 for him, so Star Saber annoys me more.

I'm not sure what to think of that. Torso looks a bit weak to me.

It's super weak. It kind of makes our MP car list wars pointless because it really looks like we might have a new last place finisher with the Ironhide mold.

JLynn

Why is Rodimus so bad?

Aside from bias against the character, he's quite possible the poorest QC'd of all the Masterpiece figures. One of the few cases when it's better owning the Hasbro version over the Takara, and that's not saying much.

ramparter

Banned
Found Rook! In a local store, don't know how since eveyrthing else was wave 1. My first Transformers action figure since I was a child.

Totally worth it. I can't believe how much better this is compared to the old g1 toys. I never expected to have so many joints and be able to make poses like that. This is really cool.
SSlGPpN5bOvw4yTeXYWxa0MR0BRrg7q8UTFqZFxx0OY=w992-h973-no

edit: Hope you can see the image, it's from my google photos

Jobbs

Banned
It's super weak. It kind of makes our MP car list wars pointless because it really looks like we might have a new last place finisher with the Ironhide mold.

Looking at it I'm wondering if maybe it's not transformed properly or something. It looks coimpletely odd.

Found Rook! In a local store, don't know how since eveyrthing else was wave 1. My first Transformers action figure since I was a child.

Totally worth it. I can't believe how much better this is compared to the old g1 toys. I never expected to have so many joints and be able to make poses like that. This is really cool.
SSlGPpN5bOvw4yTeXYWxa0MR0BRrg7q8UTFqZFxx0OY=w992-h973-no

edit: Hope you can see the image, it's from my google photos

Transformers toys had a huge jump in posability and engineering right at the turn of the century, with the Car Robots / Robots in Disguise toys. Some of them make the likes of Combiner Wars toys (such as Rook) look like G1's. Not that I mind simpler transformers, if I never have to transform RiD Sideburn again it will still be too soon.

Are you planning to get the rest of the Protectobots? They're a really cool, varied team and their combined form is awesome.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Why is Rodimus so bad?

He barely holds together in robot mode due to a giant backpack that doesn't clip together properly (the Hasbro version is better about this), his transformation is fiddly and annoying, he feels fairly fragile and is difficult to pose, he can't hold his guns well (hands don't hold them properly and his arm joints are too weak to lift them up), and of course the Takara version doesn't even try to pull off the Rodimus transformation and just has you slap the figure into a giant space winnebago camper piece.

On top of that, the width of the winnebago piece isn't correct, so inserting the figure into it almost invariably scrapes some paint off the yellow spoiler. He's just a badly designed figure on every level. The movie era designs don't lend themselves to slavish MP-style recreations, for the most part, although the Cyclonus and Scourge from the company that made Apollyon are looking pretty good.

yami4ct

That's not too far off my list, but Soundwave would be much, much higher, because he and the cassettes are borderline flawless; Wheeljack would be lower; and Star Saber might join Rodimus below "getting shot." Really wasn't impressed at all with him, and he's probably the only MP I really regret buying. Rodimus is the worst in the MP line, but I only paid $85 for him, so Star Saber annoys me more.

Soundwave only ranks so low because he was a huge disappointment for me. He's definitely a better figure than Star Saber, but I can't bring it up within me to like him. His hip design is horrible and potentially fragile, cassettes are all basically doomed to break due to their small delicate parts (With the potential exception of FRumble) and the alt mode is horrendous. Needlessly gap-y, yet it has a transformation that's super complex and not fun. He feels really rushed. Then take into account that he has paint on his feet that will chip if you aren't super duper careful and it adds up to a big mess for me. He can look really really good in some poses, but his flaws are far too big for me to overlook compared to how fun and cool all the other MPs in his scale are.

Looking at it I'm wondering if maybe it's not transformed properly or something. It looks coimpletely odd.

We definitely know he's mistransformed to an extent. For one, there's a flap hidden in the bumper that comes down and fills out the torso/waist. It's also a horrendous pose. I think he looks really good in the magazine photos that recently came out. Not perfect, but good.

Why is Rodimus so bad?

Bad QC on both the Hasbro and Takara versions, with the Takara one being a complete catastrophe. Transformation is complex in a way that's completely not fun. Hands don't hold weapons for shit. Really lanky look that's OK for Rodimus, but doesn't work very well for Hot Rod. Also has tons of design oversights that make him really fragile. The way the arm and leg springs work for instance is terrible and lots of people will break their's because of that.

Toxi

Banned
Aside from bias against the character, he's quite possible the poorest QC'd of all the Masterpiece figures. One of the few cases when it's better owning the Hasbro version over the Takara, and that's not saying much.

He barely holds together in robot mode due to a giant backpack that doesn't clip together properly (the Hasbro version is better about this), his transformation is fiddly and annoying, he feels fairly fragile and is difficult to pose, he can't hold his guns well (hands don't hold them properly and his arm joints are too weak to lift them up), and of course the Takara version doesn't even try to pull off the Rodimus transformation and just has you slap the figure into a giant space winnebago camper piece.

On top of that, the width of the winnebago piece isn't correct, so inserting the figure into it almost invariably scrapes some paint off the yellow spoiler. He's just a badly designed figure on every level. The movie era designs don't lend themselves to slavish MP-style recreations, for the most part, although the Cyclonus and Scourge from the company that made Apollyon are looking pretty good.

Bad QC on both the Hasbro and Takara versions, with the Takara one being a complete catastrophe. Transformation is complex in a way that's completely not fun. Hands don't hold weapons for shit. Really lanky look that's OK for Rodimus, but doesn't work very well for Hot Rod. Also has tons of design oversights that make him really fragile. The way the arm and leg springs work for instance is terrible and lots of people will break their's because of that.
Ouch. Always sucks when toys you have to pay a premium for are prone to breakage.

Also sucks to hear Star Saber is bad, that was one of the Masterpieces that looked tempting to me despite the high price.

yami4ct

Also sucks to hear Star Saber is bad, that was one of the Masterpieces that looked tempting to me despite the high price.

Star Saber isn't bad, just disappointing. Rodi is the only modern MP I'd call outright bad. Star Saber has a few issues that really make it difficult for me to recommend him. First, his ratchets in the combined mode arms don't seem to work on most models. His hands also have a tough time holding his sword in a cool manner. The biggest problem, though, is that the mechanism for inserting Saber into the chest is awful. It's hard to do and it feels like it's going to wear down over time and stop working. All these things feel like they could've been worked out with more design time. He really feels like a rush job to me overall.

Most people can ignore these issues and find joy in him. He looks really cool on a shelf and the brainmaster gimmick is super cool. It's just that he's not fun to play with, something I want and expect from MPs now. He feels tedious and potentially fragile.

Jobbs

Banned
Star Saber isn't bad, just disappointing. Rodi is the only modern MP I'd call outright bad. Star Saber has a few issues that really make it difficult for me to recommend him. First, his ratchets in the combined mode arms don't seem to work on most models. His hands also have a tough time holding his sword in a cool manner. The biggest problem, though, is that the mechanism for inserting Saber into the chest is awful. It's hard to do and it feels like it's going to wear down over time and stop working. All these things feel like they could've been worked out with more design time. He really feels like a rush job to me overall.

Most people can ignore these issues and find joy in him. He looks really cool on a shelf and the brainmaster gimmick is super cool. It's just that he's not fun to play with, something I want and expect from MPs now. He feels tedious and potentially fragile.

My biggest problem with Starsaber is "who the hell is Starsaber"? I collect these because they actually are the way G1 toys seemed when I was 7.

yami4ct

My biggest problem with Starsaber is "who the hell is Starsaber"? I collect these because they actually are the way G1 toys seemed when I was 7.

I get that. Saber certainly wasn't made with the western market in mind. He's for the Japanese audience who know who he is and very much care about, as evidenced by him beating every other non-Optimus Prime Convoy in that MP desire pool.

It's fine to collect MPs for that. For me it's a bit different. I honestly have little attachment to the G1 characters and toys. I collect MPs because they are the best and most fun TFs I can own and I judge every MP on that standard. I don't really care who the toy is of. If it looks awesome to me, it's probably worth owning. It helps I can justify it with the fact that MPs never really go down in price.

aparisi2274

The only reason Starsaber is an MP is because of a fan vote in Japan. He came in first place, so Takara released it.

Lets hope they get back to some G1 MP's. Shame the next one is Ironhide... they really need to get some Decepticon MP's going..

Would love a Triple Changer Astrotrain, or Blitzwing...

I would love a MP Galvatron, or SHOCKWAVE!

Tizoc

I like how in the IDW comics they wrote Starsabre as this religious zealot jerkass who believes himself to be better than everybdoy.
They need to bring him back for another story just to see more of holier than thou attitude.

yami4ct

The only reason Starsaber is an MP is because of a fan vote in Japan. He came in first place, so Takara released it.

Lets hope they get back to some G1 MP's. Shame the next one is Ironhide... they really need to get some Decepticon MP's going..

I actually am hoping the Optimus Primal MP signals an expansion of the line. If we keep getting 3-5 releases a year, I'd love to see 1-3 dedicated to other series. An MP Micron Convoy, Beast Wars Megs or especially Fire Convoy would be amazing. Heck, I'd also super dig an MP Galaxy Convoy.

That being said, the line desperately needs more Decepticons. The Triple Changers would all be instant buys for me. I'd also love to see MP Insecticons or a Shockwave. I think the biggest problem the Deceptions have right now is that they don't have too much left without expanding to Combiners (Which aren't happening any time soon) or post movie guys which aren't all that popular.

ramparter

Banned
Transformers toys had a huge jump in posability and engineering right at the turn of the century, with the Car Robots / Robots in Disguise toys. Some of them make the likes of Combiner Wars toys (such as Rook) look like G1's. Not that I mind simpler transformers, if I never have to transform RiD Sideburn again it will still be too soon.

Are you planning to get the rest of the Protectobots? They're a really cool, varied team and their combined form is awesome.
Lol I watched a video of RiD Sideburn, after a minute I skipped to the end, I think I'm ok with the combiner wars.

I do plan on getting all the Protectobots - I always wanted the G1 Defensor and this one is so much better. I'm glad you say Defensor is awesome. Hopefully I will be able to find some more in local greek stores, then I could consider ordering some from uk though the total cost (conversion & shipping) is double.

NEO0MJ

I like how in the IDW comics they wrote Starsabre as this religious zealot jerkass who believes himself to be better than everybdoy.
They need to bring him back for another story just to see more of holier than thou attitude.

That was such a huge departure from the original.

I actually am hoping the Optimus Primal MP signals an expansion of the line. If we keep getting 3-5 releases a year, I'd love to see 1-3 dedicated to other series. An MP Micron Convoy, Beast Wars Megs or especially Fire Convoy would be amazing. Heck, I'd also super dig an MP Galaxy Convoy.

That being said, the line desperately needs more Decepticons. The Triple Changers would all be instant buys for me. I'd also love to see MP Insecticons or a Shockwave. I think the biggest problem the Deceptions have right now is that they don't have too much left without expanding to Combiners (Which aren't happening any time soon) or post movie guys which aren't all that popular.

MP Fire Convoy with Ultra Magnus would be awesome. As for triple changers I don't know. I feel they'll be even more fragile than usual. Though we do need more cons. Shockwave seems like such an obvious choice, at least in the west.

Lol I watched a video of RiD Sideburn, after a minute I skipped to the end, I think I'm ok with the combiner wars.

Hahahah, yup. In Sideburn's case the transformation feels unnecessarily contrived, but that degree of engineering is put to good use in other figures in that like, particularly Optimus and Magnus which are pretty amazing in how they combine.

Still, Combiner Wars is a great time to join back. I love many of the figures we got, with Megatron probably being the most outstanding one (it's basically the best G1 Megatron ever released in these 30 years).

I do plan on getting all the Protectobots - I always wanted the G1 Defensor and this one is so much better. I'm glad you say Defensor is awesome. Hopefully I will be able to find some more in local greek stores, then I could consider ordering some from uk though the total cost (conversion & shipping) is double.

I think everyone who has got Defensor loves it. You can read Yami4ct gushing about it here, which is what gave me the final push to get it when I found it at a good price. I even like it more when swapping Blades for Streetwise, it's much more symmetrical. I think Hasbro is shipping them to Europe now (that's how I got mine here in Spain) so definitely try getting them locally. Perhaps stalk/pester the shop where you got Rook? :D

muteki

Devastator came in from Amazon. Freaking huge.

Need to work at the transformation a bit because quite a few places are too tight/require a spudger otherwise I feel like I'm breaking something. Also my first attempt of getting the torso lined up between all 4 robots didn't go so well, I'll try assembling hook/bonecrusher/scavanger together first next time.

Toxi

Banned

Yeah, that makes him a no buy. These are expensive toys, so they need to work as toys.

Hopefully the Optimus Primal doesn't suffer similar issues.

yami4ct

what would you guys recommend as the best Hot Rod and/or Rodimus figure?

Depends on what style you're going for. Animated Rodimus, Alternators Rodimus or a version of the classics mold+the FP Trailer are the best ones. Rodi actually doesn't have that many toys and then ones he does have really aren't great.

ramparter

Banned
I think everyone who has got Defensor loves it. You can read Yami4ct gushing about it here, which is what gave me the final push to get it when I found it at a good price. I even like it more when swapping Blades for Streetwise, it's much more symmetrical. I think Hasbro is shipping them to Europe now (that's how I got mine here in Spain) so definitely try getting them locally. Perhaps stalk/pester the shop where you got Rook? :D
That post convinced me a lot too. :)

When did you got yours? I'll sure be keeping an eye on the stores. If money wasn't an issue I d get Aerialbots and Stunticons too. Aerialbots were my favourite back when I was watching the g1 show but I don't find CW Superion that good compared to Defensor.

I love the Transformers RID Classics Rodimus. Simple to transform, Pretty durable. Absolute fun to, well, fuck it I'mma say it. PLAY with!

Masterpiece Rodimus, I admire the accuracy to the movie's character designs, but I should not have to say a little prayer to my God before handling a Transformer.

That mold is absolutely amazing, not just the best Hot Rod by far but one of the best Classics molds in general. Simply beautiful in both modes. I actually own two versions, that one, and the one I would recommend, a more anime-color-accurate version that comes with a similarly more accurate Cyclonus (another 10/10 mold). These guys are among the very few (perhaps only ones) in my collection that I own twice and I didn't mind at all, both are that awesome.

That post convinced me a lot too. :)

When did you got yours? I'll sure be keeping an eye on the stores. If money wasn't an issue I d get Aerialbots and Stunticons too. Aerialbots were my favourite back when I was watching the g1 show but I don't find CW Superion that good compared to Defensor.

Barely last week! You should contact the shop you bought Rook from to see if they got the others with him (they should have, shops usually can't order single bots, they get prepackaged boxes in waves), and in that case, if they sold them already and if they can get more.

Jobbs

Banned

I won't complain about Ironhide/Ratchet, since I love autobot cars the most. I'd also love Huffer or Trailcutter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That mold is absolutely amazing, not just the best Hot Rod by far but one of the best Classics molds in general. Simply beautiful in both modes. I actually own two versions, that one, and the one I would recommend, a more anime-color-accurate version that comes with a similarly more accurate Cyclonus (another 10/10 mold). These guys are among the very few (perhaps only ones) in my collection that I own twice and I didn't mind at all, both are that awesome.

This is really weird to read, as Classics Hot Rod is considered one of the worst molds in the early Classics lines. Extremely limited poseability (for the time), some very odd design choices, and those awful arms. Putting him on the same level as Cyclonus is insane, IMO.

Top Bottom