• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

This is really weird to read, as Classics Hot Rod is considered one of the worst molds in the early Classics lines. Extremely limited poseability (for the time), some very odd design choices, and those awful arms. Putting him on the same level as Cyclonus is insane, IMO.
I felt the same reading that. Rodimus is in serious need of a redo, hopefully more MTMTE style.

Firemind

The only reason Starsaber is an MP is because of a fan vote in Japan. He came in first place, so Takara released it.

Lets hope they get back to some G1 MP's. Shame the next one is Ironhide... they really need to get some Decepticon MP's going..

Would love a Triple Changer Astrotrain, or Blitzwing...

I would love a MP Galvatron, or SHOCKWAVE!
Oh my god triple changers would be the holy grail of MPs. Well, that and Predaking.

But yeah, Decepticons need more love. And, please, no Springer and Broadside before Astrotrain and Blitzwing. Octane, eh I'm indifferent about. Sixshot, oh hell no. Kill it with fire.

This is really weird to read, as Classics Hot Rod is considered one of the worst molds in the early Classics lines. Extremely limited poseability (for the time), some very odd design choices, and those awful arms. Putting him on the same level as Cyclonus is insane, IMO.

I felt the same reading that. Rodimus is in serious need of a redo, hopefully more MTMTE style.

Huh. I just find it beautiful in both modes; don't see what's wrong with it, posability included, but to each their own. At least we can agree that Cyclonus is awesome.

Oh my god triple changers would be the holy grail of MPs. Well, that and Predaking.

But yeah, Decepticons need more love. And, please, no Springer and Broadside before Astrotrain and Blitzwing. Octane, eh I'm indifferent about. Sixshot, oh hell no. Kill it with fire.

I wonder what are the chances of a Combiner Wars Predaking, and whether he would be compatible with the other standard combiners; particularly, I wonder how would they pull off Divebomb's backpack. The most obvious way would be to have it only compatible with Razorclaw, but even then Divebomb would either make a thinner arm than the rest, or else have quite more total mass than other Deluxes.

I doubt there will be a CW predaking, since it would need all new molds, unless they somehow do it and try to reuse those molds for terrorcons and Abominus

yami4ct

I wonder what are the chances of a Combiner Wars Predaking, and whether he would be compatible with the other standard combiners; particularly, I wonder how would they pull off Divebomb's backpack. The most obvious way would be to have it only compatible with Razorclaw, but even then Divebomb would either make a thinner arm than the rest, or else have quite more total mass than other Deluxes.

At every con this year, Hasbro has said no beast combiners for Combiner Wars. That might change as we move into Titan Wars early/mid next year. We shall see. I don't bet on it, but maybe. An Abonimus with a remold of Skylynx to Hun-Gurr seems more likely to me at this point..

ramparter

Banned
Lucky day yesterday! Same chain, different store. Seemed like they had nothing, then behind a totally different packaga (I think it was Construct Bots) I noticed 3 Deluxe Combiner Wars. Streetwise, First Aid and Rook (which I already had). So that 3 out of 5 :)

Km6w7kox_7Kajw3CrWwt1nHjOSb7S5d74Hj2d0jszRg=w570-h320-no

It's kind of addicting, the search and the joy of finding them. I fear that after completing the Protectobots I'm gonna goa after the others. The only thing stopping me would be that I don't have that much space for them. But how can you say no to them? They are great!

Finally picked up the CW Devastator. What a great piece! One of the best combiners so far. Some chunky bots, but overall and for the price, one of the best combiners. As said before, it's very solid when put together.

At every con this year, Hasbro has said no beast combiners for Combiner Wars. That might change as we move into Titan Wars early/mid next year. We shall see. I don't bet on it, but maybe. An Abonimus with a remold of Skylynx to Hun-Gurr seems more likely to me at this point..

I didn't know about Titan Wars until now, interesting. I guess it makes 100% sense to follow up a combiner-based line with a headmaster-focused one. As long as we don't eventually get a pretender or action-master based line... :D

Lucky day yesterday! Same chain, different store. Seemed like they had nothing, then behind a totally different packaga (I think it was Construct Bots) I noticed 3 Deluxe Combiner Wars. Streetwise, First Aid and Rook (which I already had). So that 3 out of 5 :)

It's kind of addicting, the search and the joy of finding them. I fear that after completing the Protectobots I'm gonna goa after the others. The only thing stopping me would be that I don't have that much space for them. But how can you say no to them? They are great!

Congratulations! Hoping you get the other two soon!
... wait, in that pic... did you... peg Defensor's fists into Rook's fist sockets? That's... brilliant! :D I had to try right now, so fun! I wonder if this "boxer mode" is intended as an easter egg.

Finally picked up the CW Devastator. What a great piece! One of the best combiners so far. Some chunky bots, but overall and for the price, one of the best combiners. As said before, it's very solid when put together.

Devastator came in from Amazon. Freaking huge.

Need to work at the transformation a bit because quite a few places are too tight/require a spudger otherwise I feel like I'm breaking something. Also my first attempt of getting the torso lined up between all 4 robots didn't go so well, I'll try assembling hook/bonecrusher/scavanger together first next time.

Guys, if you're going to make us envious, at the very least provide full reports. :D

ramparter

Banned
... wait, in that pic... did you... peg Defensor's fists into Rook's fist sockets? That's... brilliant! :D I had to try right now, so fun! I wonder if this "boxer mode" is intended as an easter egg.
I saw it in a discussion about Rook and how his hands are different, its really funny yeah :D

Mike M

Nick N
I really need to start buying the Combiner Wars stuff that I want before they are hard to come by.
Shit's been hard to come by for me from the start. I can't bring myself to pay $20+ for a deluxe figure online since they're generally not available in stores around here (and certainly not complete sets)

Shit's been hard to come by for me from the start. I can't bring myself to pay $20+ for a deluxe figure online since they're generally not available in stores around here (and certainly not complete sets)

I have a wishlist on Amazon with like 30 Transformers on it that I want and they still have for sale. Between Prime shipping and no tax, it seems like a better option for me than trying to track them down in stores.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Huh. I just find it beautiful in both modes; don't see what's wrong with it, posability included, but to each their own. At least we can agree that Cyclonus is awesome.

I don't think Hot Rod is as terrible as the hardline TFW GEEWUN folks do, but he's middle-of-the-pack at best, especially without the FansProject Protector armor add-on. For whatever reason, I hate that the engine is on his chest. Completely unnecessary change to the robot mode design that just doesn't work at all.

We really need a Voyager MTMTE Rodimus. Preferably not that Cloud remold of Springer.

I don't think Hot Rod is as terrible as the hardline TFW GEEWUN folks do, but he's middle-of-the-pack at best, especially without the FansProject Protector armor add-on. For whatever reason, I hate that the engine is on his chest. Completely unnecessary change to the robot mode design that just doesn't work at all.

We really need a Voyager MTMTE Rodimus. Preferably not that Cloud remold of Springer.

Heh, that chest engine is one of the coolest things about it for me. It's metal as fuck (no pun intended) and I'm a fan of things like that (ex. having a lion's head on a robot's chest is probably considered tacky by most people, but I love that shit).

Guys, if you're going to make us envious, at the very least provide full reports. :D

I picked him up too, what do you want to know in specific?

It took me about 30 minutes to combine him properly the first time because I went through each transformation individually.

My absolute favorite piece about him is that each combination point is multiple connections. Hook into Long Haul is like....4 or 5? That thing isn't moving in an earthquake, it's super nice. There's like 3 points of contact on either leg, and I think another 3 per arm. (on the tread, tabbing in on the shoulder joint, and a retractable sort of hook for grabbing a post). His solidness is probably my favorite part about it.

Lots of posability in the legs as well. Even has ankle tilts of a sort in the waists of the leg bots. He's bigger than Warbotron (which I just completed recently) and he's chunky, heavy, well built, looks the part, and has a great combined mode. There are nods to the G1 figure all over the place (Scrapper in particular's leg mode is basically perfectly modernized)

The individual bots are simpler, and in most cases, their bot modes are the worst aspect of the toy. Long Haul can be fan transformed away from the official instructions to make him look less stumpy, and several others are a bit simple. But their alt modes are all great, the individual bot transforms are simple but effective, and their combined mode, which we'll all be displaying the damn thing in anyway, is great enough to overcome those deficiencies, if you ask me. Especially for the price.

Some people complain he's "hollow", and it's true that in places he is (most notably in Mixmaster's unfolding leg joint), and you cover up a chunk of hollow with the chest armour piece. But from general posing and moving about, there's really no glaring gaps on him that stand out unless you go out of your way to look for them. Smaller scale combiners suffer just as badly, or worse. And I'd make the argument that they are no more hollow than any other voyager of recent memory.

The whole thing is light on paint apps and tampos, especially compared to Takara or the con exclusive version, but considering the price differential between those versions, I don't give any fucks. If I felt so inclined I could wait for the inevitable reprolabels extravaganza. But that's unlikely.

I paid 180 CAD for this guy and I don't regret it for an instant. My import costs on the other two versions would have eaten serious goat ass and I'm stoked to have this guy. Especially after I missed out on Metroplex last year.

I picked him up too, what do you want to know in specific?

Your post did nicely. :) It might be an odd question, but would you say the worst part of the individual bots are their arms (the one thing Takara's version fixes) or do they have other glaring issues? The arms and no waists are what stood out the most to me in video reviews.

Especially after I missed out on Metroplex last year.

Considering he's apparently getting remolded into a full three stage Fortress Maximus, skipping him might have been in your best interest, in fact.

Your post did nicely. :) It might be an odd question, but would you say the worst part of the individual bots are their arms (the one thing Takara's version fixes) or do they have other glaring issues? The arms and no waists are what stood out the most to me in video reviews.

Yes, it is the arms. Stubby and disproportionate. Long Haul is by far the biggest offender here. Although Hook is a close second. The rest I'm not too bothered by. Scrapper lacks elbows whatsoever, but with the way his shoulders work you can still make him not stand like a brick.

The lack of waist is noticeable, and maybe I'm forgiving it more than it deserves for scratching the GEEWUN itch as much as it does, but they really are like larger, bigger, less fragile versions of the original toys in several respects. I honestly was not bothered by it. Perhaps I'm easy to please, though.

The initial poses I threw the bot modes into weren't super dynamic due to their simplicity, but I wasn't expecting much there. I felt there were more limited by the arms than the waists in most cases. The other big thing is they had no individual guns. Which Takara also fixes.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is Takara's version only reverses the elbow joints for Long Haul and gives proper elbows to Scrapper. I was unaware of any waist changes to any of them from that version.

Something to note is I have not had any problems with....uhh...bonecrusher's grundle. Other people seem to have. Perhaps I got lucky?

Considering he's apparently getting remolded into a full three stage Fortress Maximus, skipping him might have been in your best interest, in fact.

Didn't know this. That's kind of awesome.

I also like Metroplex more as a character though, to be honest, so I am still interested in hunting him down in that form. If I can get a second hand one for a decent price, I'll bite.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

This is only a theory by the fans, as I understand it. Fort Max may be a remold or he may be a new mold. Of course, judging by Sky Lynx, remolds can go so far as to almost be new molds in all but name.

Uses the central body parts of Silverbolt

Welp, fuck me. Never would have guessed that. That's pretty extensive, then. Gonna have to tip my hat to HasTak for that one. That shit's on point.

Even with hollow parts, Devastator feels more solid and doesn't wobble around like all my other combiners. My warbatron wiggles whenever anyone walks past it even. It really is fairly pose-able too

Check the ankle tilt clear yellow piece in the foot. That stuff is fragile and easily broken, and they know it since they included two spares with not-Onslaught. It's those two yellow bits in the bag with not-Vortex's new chest.

I had to replace mine as well. Probably the weakest aspect of that whole combiner.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is Takara's version only reverses the elbow joints for Long Haul and gives proper elbows to Scrapper. I was unaware of any waist changes to any of them from that version.

No waist changes for the Takara version, no. Sorry if my post seemed to imply that was the case. :)

I also like Metroplex more as a character though, to be honest, so I am still interested in hunting him down in that form. If I can get a second hand one for a decent price, I'll bite.

It's the opposite for me, heh, since I grew up with the G1 Marvel Comics, and got introduced to the cartoon quite later (it didn't air in Spain until a few years later), and Fort Max is a major player in the comics while I'm not sure Metroplex even appears.

This is only a theory by the fans, as I understand it. Fort Max may be a remold or he may be a new mold. Of course, judging by Sky Lynx, remolds can go so far as to almost be new molds in all but name.

Pretty much, yep. In any case I feel there is quite a lot of overlap with these characters, and as stated above I'll always go for Fort Max.

Welp, fuck me. Never would have guessed that. That's pretty extensive, then. Gonna have to tip my hat to HasTak for that one. That shit's on point.

Yah, it's quite crazy. It's really great to see both Hasbro and Takara flex some real muscle with the generations and combiner wars lines, especially after those lulls where it seemed like we only got Bayformer crap.

It's the opposite for me, heh, since I grew up with the G1 Marvel Comics, and got introduced to the cartoon quite later (it didn't air in Spain until a few years later), and Fort Max is a major player in the comics while I'm not sure Metroplex even appears.

It's quite funny how nostalgia changes how were look at things. It's most evident between me and a friend who is a few years younger and how much he appreciates G2 by comparison. It's silly, because I can recognize that a lot of this is just tugging at that sentimentality, but toy collecting really isn't a pragmatic hobby at all so whatever.

Yah, it's quite crazy. It's really great to see both Hasbro and Takara flex some real muscle with the generations and combiner wars lines, especially after those lulls where it seemed like we only got Bayformer crap.

I have been more impressed with CW than I have with modern transformers in a long time. Pound for pound, it's up there with the best years of Generations and some of Classics. There are a few misses, but things like Leaders Megs and Magnus, Deluxes Streetwise and Dragstrip, and Devy here? They're batting real well.

ramparter

Banned
Also found Blades yesterday! Actually this store (whick I should have visited before the others since its a lot closer but had forgot about it) had all the Deluxe Protectobots!! They even had Groove but I decided not to get him for now. I still have hopes I might be able to get the Takara version.

No sign of Hot Spot yet, but I see many Optimus and Silverbolts so he should be coming eventually.

edit: Streetwise rocks! He will always be my Protectobots leader.
Also Deluxe is the best size imo.

Also found Blades yesterday! Actually this store (whick I should have visited before the others since its a lot closer but had forgot about it) had all the Deluxe Protectobots!! They even had Groove but I decided not to get him for now. I still have hopes I might be able to get the Takara version.

No sign of Hot Spot yet, but I see many Optimus and Silverbolts so he should be coming eventually.

edit: Streetwise rocks! He will always be my Protectobots leader.
Also Deluxe is the best size imo.

How much are Voyagers at that store? The store I got my own Protectobots from had an extra Hot Spot, and they sell it super cheap (for European standards), at 24€.

yami4ct

It's tough to tell. From the line drawings we've seen, forearms and legs look to be the exact same design as Metroplex. That could just be Hasbro reusing an idea that works and not a remold, though,

Other than that, he looks completely different. New torso, new head, arm ramps, headmaster, etc. If he is an extensive remold, that's fine by me. In bot mode, Titan Metro is awesome. A Fort Max remold could easily fix the problems with the city mode and make it a much better complete figure. I'm excited.

I think in general, people are a bit too quick to call something a remold. For instance, I'm not exactly sure Gen Chromis is a true remold of RiD Arcee. Sure, Hasbro clearly reused ideas from her to save engineering and design costs, but I'm not quite sure they share any real sprues. Same thing for Sky Lynx. Same design idea, but true remold? Maybe, maybe not.

If we want to talk about impressive remolds, though, Off Road into First aid never ceases to amaze me. Every panel outside of the torso and limb skeletons has been redone. It's crazy.

Vyer

Saw MP Bluestreak in TRU today, but no Starscream. They also had a lone Devastator on the shelf but I resisted....

.....for now.

yami4ct

is Starcream suppose to start hitting soon? I don't really keep up with Transformers toys but I NEEDS Starscream

It went up for preorder at TRU for October. I would say expect it to show up in stores any time now.

MP Starscream Ver. 2 is basically perfect. I love that toy so much. For $60 especially, it's a steal. I'm actually tempted to get another for that price. Every TF fan should own him.

3JORN

Just thought I'd share my Transformers Masterpiece Collection. It's been barely a month since I started with MP-08 Grimlock and I am pretty happy and satisfied so far! My decepticons are sorely lacking in members though...

Just thought I'd share my Transformers Masterpiece Collection. It's been barely a month since I started with MP-08 Grimlock and I am pretty happy and satisfied so far! My decepticons are sorely lacking in members though...

Nice collection so far!

Yeah, Masterpiece really does need some more Decepticons. If you only go with official stuff then you end up with a very lopsided looking display. :/
They need to give us an updated Megatron at least.

ramparter

Banned
Still no sight of Hot Spot but plenty of the other Protectobot guys. I find it curious that they only have wave 1 legends and voyagers and only wave 3 deluxes.

Mike M

Nick N
I see practically nothing but Age of Extinction and a smattering of the simplified smaller RiD toys on shelves and pegs around here...

Ovek

7Member7
It's finally finished!

Having to send Cutthroat (Hagen) back to the retailer for what I can only say was some of the worst QA I have seen on a 3rd party and waiting for the replacement, that and having to take the legs apart on Hunn-Gurr to cut down bloody springs delayed things quite a bit.

p3y6LVX.jpg

Excuse the stupendously crap phone pic!

muteki

Just my anecdotal experience here in Mid-Atlantic US, but most Targets/Walmarts never seemed to stock up on Combiner Wars. I know we had the dock strike and all at first, but stores never seemed to recover. TF sections have been tiny after AoE. Thankfully I can find everything online.

Toys R Us is better, but still not anywhere near what it was like during the movie lines.

ramparter

Banned
Never expected to hear that, situation seems better here in Athens, Greece at least in the big stores I visit. They mostly have RiD and constructbots as far as big figures go and some AoE and there also plenty of the small figures. I never see Combiner Wars Leader class and I doubt they will bring the new Devastator. But they have plenty CW Legends, Deluxe and Voyager.

My only concern is that there are so many unsold Silverbolts, I don't see them stocking even more Voyagers. I may end up getting one, I really like this guy.

bryanee

I've been having a shite day and I got the itch to watch the return of Optimus Prime and the 3 part Rebirth story. The episode the Burden Hardest to Bare just happens to be on the same disc, man Scourge is on a rampage right now with the Matrix lol.

I love this.

Hero

I've been having a shite day and I got the itch to watch the return of Optimus Prime and the 3 part Rebirth story. The episode the Burden Hardest to Bare just happens to be on the same disc, man Scourge is on a rampage right now with the Matrix lol.

I love this.

Burden Hardest to Bare is the episode that really shows how fucking incompetent Rodimus is as a leader. Like "Whelp I'm tired of leading fuck this"

bryanee

Burden Hardest to Bare is the episode that really shows how fucking incompetent Rodimus is as a leader. Like "Whelp I'm tired of leading fuck this"

lol yeah. Right near the start he throws a wobbly you'd expect from a 14 year old, transformers and soon gets into a race with two of the Stunticons and loses the Matrix.

Christine

After not owning any Transformers for over 20 years, these Combiner Wars toys are dragging me back in. I have Motormaster and there's no way I'm going to be able to resist buying the rest of the Menasor pieces. Megatron looks bad as all hell, too.

aparisi2274

After not owning any Transformers for over 20 years, these Combiner Wars toys are dragging me back in. I have Motormaster and there's no way I'm going to be able to resist buying the rest of the Menasor pieces. Megatron looks bad as all hell, too.

Just get Devastator and be done with it! :)

Hero

I haven't bought any new Transformers since Masterpiece Soundwave but I do love the Combiner Wars figures. Gotta have the Protectobots..

ramparter

Banned
I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Felt really weird to go to a Toys shop and buy some transformers after so many years.

Top Bottom