• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Card Boy

Banned
Hwz46.jpg

Developer: Hi-Rez Studios (Global Agenda, Smite)
Platform: PC
Price: Free 2 Play
Genre: First Person Shooter
Where: www.tribesascend.com

Features
  • 32 player skilled based shooter
  • Minimal hitscan weapons (bullets travel)
  • Reach high speeds and elevation through skiing (you don't have actual skis) and jetpacks
  • Vehicles (CTF only)
  • Custom servers
  • Ranked matches (coming soon)
  • Private servers
  • Spectator mode
  • Training and tutorial mode
  • Social features such as friends list, referral system, followers (Clan system is a work in progress)

Game-types

• Team Deathmatch
  • Capture the Flag
  • Hold and Control
  • Arena (5v5)
  • Rabbit mode (vehicles only, only in custom servers)

Custom servers

Custom servers allow you to customize every facet of your desired server rules. Are Doombringer Chainguns driving you up the wall? Ban them. Are strikes giving you the shits? Ban them. Do you want equipment in CTF to operate without a generator? Enable it.

Microtransactions

There is a gold system that allows you to unlock weapons or skins with money. All weapons can be earned via in game experience, skins are gold only. Skins are purely cosmetic and have no gameplay benefits whatsoever.

The gold tier system is as follows

kU8Rl.png

Custom server costs

Custom servers are rented with ingame gold.

10 days is $8
30 days is $16
90 days is $40
Up to 32 slots

What is VIP status?

VIP Status is earned for any money spent on the game (min $9.99). VIP players earn 50% more XP in every match.

Boosters

Boosters double the rate at which you gain XP. Players can purchase Boosters in-game using Tribes Gold. Combined with the VIP status you are effectively earning x3 the amount of XP free users are earning.

Videos

Gameplay Trailer
Custom server video

Screenshots

UYJS4.png

vzfdL.png

Reviews

AusGamers - 10/10
Eurogamer - 10/10
EDGE - 9/10
IGN - 9/10
MMGN.com - 9/10
Gamespy - 4.5/5
The Escapist - 4.5/5
PC Gamer - 88/100
Gametrailers - 8.5/10
Destcructiod - 8/10
IncGamers - 8/10
Gamespot - 8/10

FAQS

Is the game coming to Steam?
A: It's on Steam now!

Why does this game look like Halo?
A: Because It doesn't?

Gaf Usernames

Add your ingame name to the spreadsheet so you can organize some matches with some fellow Gaffers. Credit goes to the Gaffer 'Killer'

Tenck

I forget the name of the second weapon in that screenshot, but it's my favorite gun :3

EVERYONE USE IT, IT'S THE BEST!!!

Edit: Also, I HIGHLY recommend you buy something to get VIP status. The EXP just keeps on coming and unlocking most of the stuff should take you like what, a week? Mostly stuff you'll want to play. You can save up EXP for the boring brute classes later.

Jubbly

New (old) map is pretty boring for a TCN, and if there's a JUG spamming the entrance from inside there's no way in hell you're ever getting in. Played it three times since launch and never has the gen gone down.

Must say though, the new HUD elements for deployables are fantastic. Also, did anyone notice that the new gameplay trailer on Hi-Rez's YouTube has the Havoc in it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-70...DvjVQa1PpcFMS-UNU-JbMcg6bhMMUUSa0giI098aTgZ0=

The model has been knocking around the game files for months, so perhaps this is another hint that it's definitely going to be integrated? (hopefully in a new mode or super large T2-style map)

Rather than bumping the old thread, some replies to recent posts:

Been doing so great in this game it's actually scary. I only play Death match though. When the game first went into beta I played a bunch of CTF. Problem was that everyone wanted to be the sniper who last hits the flag carrier or the flag carrier. No real defense and no real team coordination. I've love to try it out with Gaf if you guys ever have a meet up and play.

That's not my experience actually. People generally want to win so there's a good balance.

This releases today, right? Will it be coming straight to Steam or do I have to get the client elsewhere?

A testapp version is on Steam for internal testing at the moment, so it's possible that it'll be coming to the service soon (Global Agenda has been on Steam for years, so it'll likely happen).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
been busy with my back log and also got horn swoggled back into phantasy star online but i need to come back to this havent played it in months

Manax

Just dropped $30 on this after enjoying the shit out of it for 2 weeks, has definately taken my number one spot for favourite FPS I grin the entire time i play, the battles are so tense its fantastic

ID manaxau

tuxor

Neo Member
Loved T2 with such a passion, just didn't feel it as much in this game. Probably still pay the $50 though, was planning on buying before I knew it was F2P anyway. So if I pay the $50, it would essentially unlock the whole game? Don't care about skins but classes, weapons, etc.?

CoolS

This looks pretty overwhelming from the trailers. How hard is it for someone who never played Tribes to get into this?

Loved T2 with such a passion, just didn't feel it as much in this game. Probably still pay the $50 though, was planning on buying before I knew it was F2P anyway. So if I pay the $50, it would essentially unlock the whole game? Don't care about skins but classes, weapons, etc.?

No. It should get most things though.

This looks pretty overwhelming from the trailers. How hard is it for someone who never played Tribes to get into this?

Lol, it's by far the easiest in the series. Not saying it's an easy game compared to the rest of the market, but it's a cake walk relative to the Tribes franchise.

tuxor

Neo Member

Obviously I'm a bit biased but you'll get used to it quick. There's a skill curve like any other game, but honestly if you spend an hour in game you'll get a hang of skiing/jetpacking, it's MUCH easier than earlier tribes titles. The rest pretty much comes with it, so long as you can anticipate/have a basic knowledge of physics (eg. this dude's going x fast, where is he approximately going to be in a y seconds?) you'll do fine.

Try it out, it gets really fun, especially when you're dueling someone with spinfusors while flying across the map at 200km/h or going in for a sick flag grab, also probably at 200+km/h.

guldakot

You definately be able to unlock all the classes and alot of the weapons, but if your decent at the game, you get so much xp with boost + vip status that you unlock stuff real quick. Im earning over 2k xp per match, so after 5 matches I can usually unlock upgrades etc. Game is fun as hell, but it needs some balancing.

Got up to 312 km/h earlier and grabbed a flag. I know that others have gone faster, but a grab at that speed makes you giggle lol.

You definately be able to unlock all the classes and alot of the weapons, but if your decent at the game, you get so much xp with boost + vip status that you unlock stuff real quick. Im earning over 2k xp per match, so after 5 matches I can usually unlock upgrades etc. Game is fun as hell, but it needs some balancing.

Got up to 312 km/h earlier and grabbed a flag. I know that others have gone faster, but a grab at that speed makes you giggle lol.

Does holding down the ski button in the air still slow you down? There was a bad glitch with that, haven't seen it changed in the patch notes. It pretty much likes to keep you stuck at 200 if you hold it down.

Still bummed about the lack of an OSX version, I'd love to boot this up on my mbp right now lol. Guess I'll have to wait till I get home tonight.

MNC

Love to try, but do I still need to use that god awful HiRezStudios.exe patcher /installer or whatever? It gave me so much shit during the beta.

Chanser

The patcher is pretty dumb, it downloaded updates for each beta version and installed until it reached the current version.

guldakot

Does holding down the ski button in the air still slow you down? There was a bad glitch with that, haven't seen it changed in the patch notes. It pretty much likes to keep you stuck at 200 if you hold it down.
Nah they fixed it apparantly not noticing it anymore

Nah they fixed it apparantly not noticing it anymore

Good to hear, though general physics changes need to happen anyway. At least you don't get a stupid speed cap because glitches now. =/.

Thread subscribed... I really want a good successful tribes game... and I'm hoping this will deliver...

Kuga

If you decide to get one of the large gold packages and aren't in a hurry to unlock everything:

The best value for your money is to spend gold on 90-day boosters (assuming you get the first win of the day bonus on most days and put in a couple hours of play per week), rather than buying the weapons immediately. So at least save some gold for when the package booster runs out.

Also, I'd imagine that most cosmetic items will be gold-only, so keeping a bit stockpiled couldn't hurt.

Sober

Paid 30$ back before open beta, haven't really put in too much time into this but I loved T1 back in the day so I definitely will be playing some more in the coming future.

ZoddGutts

Just dropped $30 on this after enjoying the shit out of it for 2 weeks, has definately taken my number one spot for favourite FPS I grin the entire time i play, the battles are so tense its fantastic

ID manaxau

Yeah it gets really intense if the game is tied and it's overtime. If someone on the team drops the flag panic sets in.

Darkkn

Really good Tribes game based on a few matches. I had some weird problems with mouse lag and pretty visible texture/object pop-in, but maybe i can sort those out by playing with options.

Too bad it's a f2p game. I would have much rather bought the game at 29.99 than buy stuff individually, which seems to be really expensive or grindy. I just want to play and enjoy the game, not worry about what i have access to and what to buy etc. *Old man yelling at clouds*

Card Boy

Banned
Too bad it's a f2p game. I would have much rather bought the game at 29.99 than buy stuff individually, which seems to be really expensive or grindy. I just want to play and enjoy the game, not worry about what i have access to and what to buy etc. *Old man yelling at clouds*

As i said in the OP $50 pretty much buys you everything.

Between the free Solider Spinfuser, 250 free gold coins, VIP status and the double XP booster you can buy any new weapon that comes out day 1.

...flame me all you want but this still feels like a beta. The physics are still terrible and every other click is either a misfire or glitched jump or jet.

I played earlier and had no click problems. Maybe your lagging?

Ping of 42, asked if anyone else was getting misfires, got a bunch of "yes"s. Probably server, but they still need to fix netcoding. I got run over by shrike that was about 50 feet away from me even though i was flying nearly as fast as it.

Also, got orbital striked inside.

It seriously feels like I'm playing the exact same beta I did 2 months ago.

Then I dunno. Either I've been lucky, or you've been unlucky, shit happens. I've been praising their netcode ironically, for being one of the few games I can play online that doesn't constantly jank all over.

If you aren't having problems it's not server issues, but then again my ping is only ~40. Don't see why I would be getting microstutter like that.

Either way, I just uninstalled the game. I remember why I stopped playing in the first place.

Top Bottom