• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

teepo

i never stopped playing :(

i'm addicted to blueplate specials and the harder the challenge, e.g auto users, the more satisfying it'll be.

Broseybrose

I never stopped either. TA took over my gaming life since the beta. Ive belonged to 3 comp teams so far and im NOT a multiplayer shooter type of guy.

It does seem like the game is starting to pick up more players again which is always a good thing.

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member
Seems like the servers are getting pretty bad.

I've been playing off and on up till now, but I think I'm going to take a longer break from this game until they can hopefully fix that.

Not much fun warping into a crater death trying to run routes. I can't imagine it's any more enjoyable for the chasers trying to shoot me down when I'm floating away with their flag like some drunken fly.

teepo

I was thinking just the other day how much I missed the game. How's it doing?

the casuals have all but abandoned the game and anybody who is below lvl 20 is most likely a smurf trying to up their blueplate special ratio or kdr -- you can thank hirez for that since they did make player stats public

although small, about a month ago the pug scene was still partly active with two official pug rules servers being the two best publicly hosted servers in the game. free shrieks is still going strong as well!

other then that, the game is slowly dying and all that remains are the dedicated, so expect to die a lot if you're not using an auto. it's still fun to jump in every now and then and play a few rounds of CTF. it's always as exciting as it once was when the community was at its peak, but then i remember how awfully balanced the game is and just ignore it for another month or so until i need a fix. also, it's hard coming back and attempting to land blueplates with such long duration between play times, it was even hard coming back after just a few days...

Zeliard

I took a several-month break and then came back to it. It was enough to give me a second wind of sorts.

But yeah the community has dwindled, Hi-Rez has basically given up on the game entirely, and CTF pubs tend to devolve into mindless defensive stacks since rarely anybody plays offense. Pickup games feature better play but then you have to deal with Tribes' often-toxic core community.

Still, there is such a scarcity of these sorts of games that you basically have to take what you can get if you're a fan of the style of game. The new Rise of the Triad looks to be a fun MP experience of the sort, though I have my doubts about its competitive value.

Karakand

There are no major dev updates planned for Tribes: Ascend in the next six months.

For the next six months our primary development focus is SMITE. Beyond that it is GA2. And beyond that a TA2 would be more likely than a major update to TA; but to be clear no devs are currently working toward TA2.

Per the development blog on our forums, the recent TA work has been Kate developing some additional maps. If time allows then these new TA maps (along with some bug-fixes) would be finalized and deployed but no committed date yet.

We continue to support TA servers, online community events, tournaments with prizing, bringing Tribes to offline events like recent RTX and upcoming QuakeCon, and live-streaming.

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=345&t=115939

Grats on supporting your F2P game for 15 months, HiRez.

Well this is out of nowhere. This probably won't do anything to bring back players for good, considering the utter trainwreck the initial abandonment was.

Maybe they'll bring back Global Agenda, too.

In any case fuck Hi-Rez and fuck Smite (no offense to those who enjoy it).

The gullible fools on r/Tribes truly believe this is a second wind for the game. I look forward to a renewed round of shock and surprise when the game is inevitably abandoned again in the near future.

Card Boy

Banned
All classes have been condensed to three choices; Light, Medium, and Heavy
All weapon, armor, and perk upgrades have been removed from the game and are now included in the base stats.
Default field of view has been set to 120.

qb4Bish.gif

Sober

Having played Tribes Ascend briefly, I am excited to see this change. I hope this reduces the pesky grinding.
I get the feeling they are just flat out removing it. It'll just me Tribes 1 or 2 again, hopefully. Possibly just flat out free? Man I would love to jump back in, I'm getting tired of low TTK military shooters.

The Cowboy

Ohh HELL YES!!!!, i loved this game at the start before the buggered it up with the pay to win crap, so great to see them do this and i will be back to the game sharpish if this is indeed as good as it sounds.

It won't bring back the masses, but it will certainty get me back :D.

Dare

Banned
The gullible fools on r/Tribes truly believe this is a second wind for the game. I look forward to a renewed round of shock and surprise when the game is inevitably abandoned again in the near future.

Here's my run down as many people know my handle etc.

There's only a few directions the game series will go in now, IMO.

One being adapting to the game style that this "Tribes esque" title Midair by Archetype Studios is taking (t2/ fallen empire legions/ta hybrid).

The other being that HiRez Studios in response to this either rips off the Midair dev teams game physics and gameplay as both games will be made on unreal engine, the other being that HiRez actually releases game updates that get more traction and interest than MidAir's new game.

The last highly unlikely scenario is that a 3rd party arrives on scene and decides to remake Tribes 1 with better graphics and open modding like so many people crave.

All together all of these possibilities seem really polarizing and drama filled.

Obviously I hope the game direction of T:A becomes more competition E-Sports oriented. And as I think Starsiege: Tribes 1 is the highest skill level community in the Tribes series (similar to the CPMA community in quake 3) I truly hope they make T:A more like that.

Recently there seems to be a trend in the Arena-FPS community of remaking some of the more skill requiring and challenging games that came out around 1998. The best example of that recently is Reflex FPS a high graphics remake of the Quake 3 mod CPMA. It straight up kicks ass. I hope this trend spreads in gaming and we get to see more high skilled FPS gameplay beyond just the counter strike and vanilla quake games.

Top Bottom