• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Wow this game has rekindled my love for FPS shooting on PC. I found myself playing on and off throughout the day for 15-20 minutes at a time! Great that you can simply get into a game within a minute of launching the game

Loam

I've been having a blast with this all evening, will probably end up dropping $10 down the line if it holds my interest for the XP boost. Not sure if I'm a fan of the unlock system though, almost everything seems to be a strait upgrade (more health/energy/+damage to armor etc.) which I imagine will make playing under-leveled classes or being a new player a pain down the road.

Also chainguns are a blight.

Broseybrose

Just figured I'd post my opinion that this is the best FPS ever developed! It combines all the elements that make FPS fun. Speed, leading targets, jetpacks, many intricate classes to choose from.

Im not even that good at it and I still threw $30 bucks at it to unlock the all classes and a weapon or two. I plan on playing this game A LOT!

Tribes name: Brose

arab

Wow. This game is heroin on my veins. Between tf2 and this I may never buy a multiplayer fps again

Player name: gonads

demolitio

This thread isn't big enough for the glorious return of Tribes. Feels a lot better since the beta too!

This game is nostalgia heaven for my friend and I. Tribes was the second online game I ever played behind SOCOM 1 so there's always a special place for it in my heart but this is better than just nostalgia. It's actually a fun game that sticks to its hardcore roots and doesn't give in to making it a complete clone like every other MP game out there today.

It's a hard game and that's how it should be.

This game has secretly become my go-to "have time to play something real quick game" wasn't really into PC games until after Tribes, but I now totally understand why people hold the originals in such high regard. Hitting a Blue Plate Special is one of the most rewarding things in an FPS ever.

Just figured I'd post my opinion that this is the best FPS ever developed! It combines all the elements that make FPS fun. Speed, leading targets, jetpacks, many intricate classes to choose from.

Im not even that good at it and I still threw $30 bucks at it to unlock the all classes and a weapon or two. I plan on playing this game A LOT!

Tribes name: Brose

Best? Nah. Best in recent years. I'll accept.

Sober

I've been having a blast with this all evening, will probably end up dropping $10 down the line if it holds my interest for the XP boost. Not sure if I'm a fan of the unlock system though, almost everything seems to be a strait upgrade (more health/energy/+damage to armor etc.) which I imagine will make playing under-leveled classes or being a new player a pain down the road.

Also chainguns are a blight.
Pretty sure unlocks shouldn't be a problem if you are mostly doing matchmaking, unless you are just spreading out your upgrades everywhere. Starting perks work out well (and one has no ranks), none of the weapon upgrades are absolutely game-breaking either. I'd say just try all 3 armour types, see which you like and probably concentrate your upgrades and unlocks there. I would say maybe drop some money on gold to unlock stuff initially (since you need XP to upgrade things) because the initial XP price of unlocks seems pretty high.

DaBuddaDa

Does anyone have some keymapping recommendations or know where I can find some? I can't quite figure out a comfortable and intuitive layout for jetpack/ski/jump, etc.

Does anyone have some keymapping recommendations or know where I can find some? I can't quite figure out a comfortable and intuitive layout for jetpack/ski/jump, etc.

Space bar should be ski, right click should be jump/jet.

You can go with something more custom that suits you but that works well.

The older Tribes games Skiing was in fact jumping, so space bar was jump/ski. But, since Tribes Ascend has completely different physics if you try binding jump/ski to space bar, you'll find yourself in a shitty situation because you can't jump at the top of a hill unless you let go and push space bar again, which in turn will make you touch the ground and slow down.

Needs to be fixed...

dLMN8R

I cannot express how impressed I am by Hi-Rez with this release. I've been hyped like hell for this game since the announcement, got to play it for hours at PAX Prime last year, got into the beta early and played for hours, and have played more since the "release".

The magnitude and speed of dramatic improvements is nothing short of astounding. The way they completely overhauled the class structure is nearly perfect. The free-to-play implementation is one of the best out there.

Hopefully this draws a massive audience, enabling them to continue improving it and adding new stuff for years to come.

Tribes: Ascend ascends ESL

After many years of waiting a new sequel of the science fiction FPS series hits the stores today. Well, to be more precisely Tribes:Ascend is available for free and everyone, since it is free to play and comes with no costs. The fast-paced, sci-fi multiplayer shooter has completed Beta testing and is now a live PC game available for digital download.
As soon as the Custom Server functionality has been added Tribes: Ascend will find its way immediately into VERSUS. Up to that point gt your hands on Tribes: Ascend and prepare for our upcoming Opening Cup. More details will be revealed soon.

Nice to see it getting some competitive love.

Just downloaded this.

Never really dealt with FPS's on a PC so mouse/keyboard will take some getting use to but I can see myself learning this game and playing some rounds every day.

Dina

This game really needs more love around here. Such a great game and F2P doesn't hinder it in any way.

Card Boy

Banned
This game really needs more love around here. Such a great game and F2P doesn't hinder it in any way.

I look it the same way i do Football Manager. The latest one is like in the Top 5 on Steams concurrent user list every day (and reaches number 1 in Euro primetime) but no really talks about it on Gaf.

No one ever talked about Counter-Strike on Gaf before CS:GO.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I try to do "a good run every day".

So much fun, especially when people start communcating through the voice command system properly. Nothing better than a coordinated attack!

PatzCU

I played the beta and couldn't really get into it, but I have to say the final release version is awesome! I've sunk far too much time than I can really afford to already which is pretty rare for a game to hook me so intensely. The game seems to be a near perfect mix of skill-based "twitch" shooting and strategic positioning. There is really nothing better than chasing a flag carrier and landing that perfect disc shot as he's skiing up the next hill.

Everyone should give Tribes a shot. The learning curve can be a bit intimidating initially, but after you learn the basic base management stuff it's really enjoyable. They could do a better job making the general interface feel a little more upscale, but I'm certainly not complaining when it's F2P.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well they proved the haters (like myself) wrong and made a fantastic game so I pitched in $30.

Everyone should at the very least give this a try, it's really really good.

z0m3le

Banned
I love this game, you'll find me under the user name Syferz. As far as this game goes, it's very faithful to Star Siege: Tribes, especially if you play on a server that has you spawn in "base" gear until you go to an invie... custom servers are going to be great!

Damn, this game is awesome. I ended up playing a shitload today and had some amazing matches. I spent $10 on it yesterday to get VIP status, but now I wish I paid a little more just to support them. Maybe I'll throw in some more money later.

I unlocked Technician tonight and was dominating. That SMG is pretty damn good. Ended up going like 28/11/6 one round just by defending the flag and repairing shit.

Nymerio

This game is absolutely amazing. The last Tribes game I played was Tribes 2 and I loved it. I didn't realize how much I missed this. There's just something about racing around at 200 km/h and shooting discs at one another that pushes all the right buttons for me.

For me the definite proof that f2p works is that even my brother, who almost never plays games, ended up paying for this. So awesome. I hope they get it on Steam ASAP for even more exposure.

Unicorn

tumblr_m28zhbhyVB1qdt1iw.gif

The first time I did this and Tribes clicked, I had never felt like I missed a boat more in my life. To think, I had the opportunity to play this years ago, but didn't because I couldn't understand skiing.

I wish I had some friends to play with as it really is a different kind of shooter. I played the beta for about a week, but found it very enjoyable even though I really, really, really suck.

Tenck

The first time I did this and Tribes clicked, I had never felt like I missed a boat more in my life. To think, I had the opportunity to play this years ago, but didn't because I couldn't understand skiing.

I wish I had some friends to play with as it really is a different kind of shooter. I played the beta for about a week, but found it very enjoyable even though I really, really, really suck.

I played the very first Tribes game and left it because I thought skiing was lame and speed should be kept out of FPS games. These past 6 years though, I've almost exclusively played Quake and Tribes because I learned that the superior FPS games give you freedom in movement :p

I still play games like CoD or BF but I can't sit down and play them for more than an hour haha.

Unicorn

Nice, I had enough exp from Beta to get the spinfusor for the soldier right off the bat.

It's late now, but I'll be brushing up tomorrow.

krishian

Pretty much the same for me. I'm not usually a FPS player, but the skiing really clicks with me and jetpacks are always a nice thing to have. And landing airshots with the spinfusor feels good man, even if I do it completely by accident.

id:gamewasgood

Top Bottom