• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Calantus

my only complaint about this game like many others is how long it takes to gain exp. It takes about a week of playing casually just to unlock one weapon. Otherwise this is an amazing game, i'm just gonna end up buying gold

ASilva

Neo Member
my only complaint about this game like many others is how long it takes to gain exp. It takes about a week of playing casually just to unlock one weapon. Otherwise this is an amazing game, i'm just gonna end up buying gold

I'm really loving the game but I have to agree with this. The game is a bit poorly balanced for people who just want to play free. But I guess that's the point

The base classes without any upgrades are good to start up but are not really competitive. The pathfinder without reach and without some upgrades is a bit useless, the soldier doesn't even come with a spinfusor.

Still, I'm loving the game. Lvl 10 atm, ID: Sk0rp

Tain

Was at a lan yesterday, we all decided to try this out.

Goofy default control scheme, but after that was out of the way? So fucking fun. Had to throw in ten bucks.

I agree. I've been playing a couple of matches a day for the last few days and it's becoming very apparent that the grind is going to be immense. It's fun for sure, but unless you are playing extremely well, it's going to take way too long to unlock stuff. Unlike you though, this doesn't make me want to spend money on their store but rather it makes me want to stop playing the game altogether.

Atomski

I paid for like a week of double xp + got VIP status. Unlocked all the weapons and classes I wanted pretty quick. :p

Still have plenty of upgrades and such to unlock now though.

Unlike you though, this doesn't make me want to spend money on their store but rather it makes me want to stop playing the game altogether.

While that's a perfectly valid attitude, it does strike me as funny.

"I really like this free game, but now that I've realized it will take *time* to get stuff I want, and I don't want to spend any money, I'm going to stop playing this free game I enjoy."

If you like the game, why not treat it like a game purchase, shell out 40 bucks or so, and enjoy?

Then again, I only play a single class, and the beta package I bought for $20 let me pretty much max out the class and the perks I tend to use, so I'm content.

Jubbly

Yeah I really didn't understand how amazng the thumper is. I didn't use it for a long time in the beta, didn't think it was worth it. Gets tons of air mail accolades with it.

Those are gratifying, but in general the Thumper is just so much better for killing people while on the move, and the ability to kill Infiltrators whilst they're cloaked, by predicting their location, is the most useful feature. There aren't many cases of an alternative weapon being massively superior in Tribes, but this is one. I do a lot of TCN'ing, and where I was previously middle of the leaderboard, I am now consistently at the top or near the top.

If you compare it to League of Legends it works out about the same as getting 6300XP for a new champion. It's merely the fact that you're playing many more matches in the same amount of time which makes Tribes feel more 'grindy'.

"I really like this free game, but now that I've realized it will take *time* to get stuff I want, and I don't want to spend any money, I'm going to stop playing this free game I enjoy."

If you like the game, why not treat it like a game purchase, shell out 40 bucks or so, and enjoy?

There's a very long answer to this question but let's just say that I'm not particularly fond of how they've designed microtransactions here. While it's not flat out pay to win, I feel there is a significant advantage to having upgraded weapons/gear/classes in combat. So either you pay for it, or you grind your way slowly towards reaching parity with those that have the upgrades. And while the game is fun, there's no shortage of choice when it comes to which games I can spend my time with, so this will likely get ignored after a while when the novelty wears off.

hauton

I like the game, but pay to win is pretty true.

100 000 XP is really expensive for weapons that typically outclass the defaults.

(._.)

Banned
I've been playing this recently. I feel like it needs some work though to make it a go to game for me. I feel like there aren't enough confrontations on the maps. They're so big and I spend most of the game just flying around. I've only played CTF on a couple huge maps. Need to try the other mode and mess around with the other classes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Only big issue, and this is what all tribes have had, is that most the people playing cant get it through their heads that you need to have people on defense.

Jubbly

Only big issue, and this is what all tribes have had, is that most the people playing cant get it through their heads that you need to have people on defense.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark, but are you by any chance in North America? You see, I play in Europe, and in every Tribes match I've played we've had a defense. Admittedly it sometimes sucked, but never have I encountered a situation where there was absolutely no one doing it.

Nymerio

There's a very long answer to this question but let's just say that I'm not particularly fond of how they've designed microtransactions here. While it's not flat out pay to win, I feel there is a significant advantage to having upgraded weapons/gear/classes in combat. So either you pay for it, or you grind your way slowly towards reaching parity with those that have the upgrades. And while the game is fun, there's no shortage of choice when it comes to which games I can spend my time with, so this will likely get ignored after a while when the novelty wears off.

I don't think you even can buy the upgrades with gold. You can buy the weapons but for any upgrade you have to spend experience.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Welcome to the world of current gen online multiplayer shooters.

I don't think you even can buy the upgrades with gold. You can buy the weapons but for any upgrade you have to spend experience.

When you buy gold, you get a minimum of 50% increased XP permanently and time limited double XP as well. That translates to an advantage in both unlocking weapons/classes and upgrades.

In general, I don't think it's good design to have a free to play game with an upgrade system that can be affected by real money transactions.

Welcome to the world of current gen online multiplayer shooters.

It doesn't have to be like that. Good shooters offer alternatives, not outright advantages. I could point to TF2 with it's entire system of sidegrades that can be obtained without paying anything, but even regular shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield manage fine... if you choose a red dot sight, you can't have a scope or if you choose to carry double ammo, then you can't reload fast or whatever. In Tribes, you have a level 1 gun and a level 4 upgraded gun and the level 4 gun is just better because you carry more ammo and you reload faster and whatever else. There's no denying that.

STANKYJ

Neo Member
little help dudes.

when i run the installer it adds two shortcuts to the desktop that don't link anywhere.

after grabbing a copy of the game files and running the launcher it never connects to their servers to populate the server list. just stays at unknown.

i have tried turning off anti virus and my firewall. i had played the beta a few months ago and it worked fine now i cant seem to connect to their servers.

i sent off a support ticket last week but no response yet.

cheers

Nymerio

When you buy gold, you get a minimum of 50% increased XP permanently and time limited double XP as well. That translates to an advantage in both unlocking weapons/classes and upgrades.

In general, I don't think it's good design to have a free to play game with an upgrade system that can be affected by real money transactions.

It doesn't have to be like that. Good shooters offer alternatives, not outright advantages. I could point to TF2 with it's entire system of sidegrades that can be obtained without paying anything, but even regular shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield manage fine... if you choose a red dot sight, you can't have a scope or if you choose to carry double ammo, then you can't reload fast or whatever. In Tribes, you have a level 1 gun and a level 4 upgraded gun and the level 4 gun is just better because you carry more ammo and you reload faster and whatever else. There's no denying that.

You make it sound far worse than it actually is. I fully upgraded the spinfusor on my pathfinder before I had a VIP account. The price for the upgrades is actually pretty fair. The only things you have to spend ridiculous amounts of experience on are the additional weapons. 100k is a crazy amount and takes a lot of grinding. But the game is free 2 play so I understand why they do that.

Diman

You make it sound far worse than it actually is. I fully upgraded the spinfusor on my pathfinder before I had a VIP account. The price for the upgrades is actually pretty fair. The only things you have to spend ridiculous amounts of experience on are the additional weapons. 100k is a crazy amount and takes a lot of grinding. But the game is free 2 play so I understand why they do that.

I agree.
In League of Legends it also takes weeks to earn enough IP for one 6300 IP champion or even longer (almost a month) for a new filled rune page. In tribes, If you play each day, it should take about the same time earning enough exp for those new weapons/items. I really like that fact that upgrades cannot be bought. It's not pay to win. The weapons are balanced.

Jubbly

I agree.
In League of Legends it also takes weeks to earn enough IP for one 6300 IP champion or even longer (almost a month) for a new filled rune page. In tribes, If you play each day, it should take about the same time earning enough exp for those new weapons/items. I really like that fact that upgrades cannot be bought. It's not pay to win. The weapons are balanced.

Bingo, exactly what I said in an earlier reply.

Nymerio

It's not really pay2win if you can still spend experience instead of money. I'm not saying it's perfect, but some of the stuff I've been reading here and elsewhere is ridiculous.

The game is free to play, of course they are going to try to get you to spend money on it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Game's a blast, but far from perfect.

So far my biggest dislikes..

There needs to be more rewards for defenders. Like an accolade for spending a full minute near a flag or generator, something to make it more worth while.

Full customization of jobs and weapons. Other than massive weapons on heavies, any job should be able to pack out any weapon they chose.

Also, one of my biggest disappointments has been the marginalization of vehicles. Because they can be used so rarely, and the maps are not nearly as big as old Tribes, they're really just an extra, rather than a strategic tool. There should be no cost to use them.

Also unlikely to be able to change, but I wish they would make repeating, infinite maps again, with the boarders only used to keep the flag in play.

Jubbly

There needs to be more rewards for defenders. Like an accolade for spending a full minute near a flag or generator, something to make it more worth while.

Apart from the points you get for killing all the enemies attacking your base? And really, you shouldn't just be stood around the generator waiting. Put down motion mines at the entrances and go help outside. If you one pings, go back inside. Repeat, end up top of the scoreboard.

Full customization of jobs and weapons. Other than massive weapons on heavies, any job should be able to pack out any weapon they chose.

The structured differentiation between roles works very well. What you're proposing would just lead to Infiltrators sporting Jackals.

Also, one of my biggest disappointments has been the marginalization of vehicles. Because they can be used so rarely, and the maps are not nearly as big as old Tribes, they're really just an extra, rather than a strategic tool. There should be no cost to use them.

Infinite tanks and Shrikes. Nothing can possibly go wrong. Played against a decent Shrike pilot as a Pathfinder? Now add 5 Shrikes chasing one Pathfinder, and another 5 tanks camped around the flag!

This. Would. Be. A. Terrible. Idea.

But hey, Hi-Rez wants everyone to have fun, so if you go on the custom servers list you'll find maps with infinite free Shrikes so you can see exactly why they don't do it in CTF.

Also unlikely to be able to change, but I wish they would make repeating, infinite maps again, with the boarders only used to keep the flag in play.

So everyone but the Pathfinder with the flag could go outside the boarders? How does that enhance the gameplay? There's already a TON of space that you can fly through without seeing another player. The way it is now the gameplay is kept focused on the bases and the main paths between the bases. It's all deliberately made to give you a chance to chase and recover a flag - if you gave a Pathfinder infinite space he would use his velocity and just fly off with the flag, making it all but impossible to catch him without a Shrike.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
This game sooo needs an objective-based gameplay type, like Campaign in ETQW or Assault in UT.

My single favorite game mode from Tribes 2 was Siege. One team attacking to try and reach a switch, while the other team defends. When offense succeeds, roles flip and the new attackers have to do it faster. Repeat until one team holds out to the time limit. Tons of generator battling and close-quarters DM, and it felt like an actual progression.

So, yea, totally agreed.

Valravn

Hate when i have the flag but nobody is defending me. So i usually die when im heading back to base. Ah well im usually defending anyway...

Tain

Is there any word on a HUD indicator to show that you're in enemy radar range? I'd really like that.

I'd also like a map view, though it doesn't need all the bells and whistles the Tribes 2 map view has.

Jubbly

Is there any word on a HUD indicator to show that you're in enemy radar range? I'd really like that.

I recall someone else asking this on the official forums some time ago. After being laughed at by the hardcore, no hand-holding gamers, a dev came along and pretty much agreed with them.

Being told when the enemy can see you in a multiplayer game is pretty weak sauce apart from in a few special cases or game modes, and I definitely don't see it being a good addition to Tribes. It would also give Infiltrators a huge advantage in that they would know exactly when they would have to cloak.

As it is, the radar can go back online and you'll notice a contact hiding in a corner, which typically turns out to be an INF regenerating his cloak energy while waiting for some poor engineer to come along. Could you imagine the base camping that would occur if they knew they were safe, or that they have to go back outside and kill the radar?

depths20XX

Played about 6 games in this yesterday. Was actually surprised I was doing pretty well since I haven't played since the first Tribes. I'll probably end up spending $10-20 bucks just because I think they deserve some money for this. Still think XP gain should be a bit faster.

How many maps are there? Think I played 4 different ones.

Novid

Banned
few more hours in this game (yes 3rd person looked cool but it was doing it wrong) and god damn son if more FPS were like this... sniper is hot but may not be good until i unlock Capture and Hold. Dont know why Voice Chat aint up. may need to use my PS controler cause i cant get the keys (mouse fine, keys err) down but im not even sure if they support game pads. every FPS maker must figure out how these guys do it and improve on it.

Novid

Banned
Played about 6 games in this yesterday. Was actually surprised I was doing pretty well since I haven't played since the first Tribes. I'll probably end up spending $10-20 bucks just because I think they deserve some money for this. Still think XP gain should be a bit faster.

How many maps are there? Think I played 4 different ones.

8 maybe...

Tain

I recall someone else asking this on the official forums some time ago. After being laughed at by the hardcore, no hand-holding gamers, a dev came along and pretty much agreed with them.

Being told when the enemy can see you in a multiplayer game is pretty weak sauce apart from in a few special cases or game modes, and I definitely don't see it being a good addition to Tribes. It would also give Infiltrators a huge advantage in that they would know exactly when they would have to cloak.

As it is, the radar can go back online and you'll notice a contact hiding in a corner, which typically turns out to be an INF regenerating his cloak energy while waiting for some poor engineer to come along. Could you imagine the base camping that would occur if they knew they were safe, or that they have to go back outside and kill the radar?

I guess that makes sense. Still wouldn't mind the map view, though!

All of these changes from the old games are pretty jarring, but they really do sound like they have the potential to make for a better game.

Jubbly

few more hours in this game (yes 3rd person looked cool but it was doing it wrong) and god damn son if more FPS were like this... sniper is hot but may not be good until i unlock Capture and Hold. Dont know why Voice Chat aint up. may need to use my PS controler cause i cant get the keys (mouse fine, keys err) down but im not even sure if they support game pads. every FPS maker must figure out how these guys do it and improve on it.

Space, C, F. Those are the core keys beyond WASD. Z is to throw the flag, and K is to suicide (if you're a Pathfinder and want to reset).

TGMIII

Hate when i have the flag but nobody is defending me. So i usually die when im heading back to base. Ah well im usually defending anyway...

I never bother playing CTF on random public games. It always ends up with one team with 2/3 people that know what they're doing and win super quick and the other has a bunch of people playing TDM somewhere randomly on the map. Once they fully launch custom servers I think I'll play more CTF, but for now I stick to TDM and the Base capture mode.

depths20XX

I never bother playing CTF on random public games. It always ends up with one team with 2/3 people that know what they're doing and win super quick and the other has a bunch of people playing TDM somewhere randomly on the map. Once they fully launch custom servers I think I'll play more CTF, but for now I stick to TDM and the Base capture mode.

Really? All I've been playing is CTF as that's all I played in original Tribes. I do agree that the teams don't really communicate or work well together, but it's still been fun. How does base capture work? Not familiar with that mode.

There is no way to see how far an enemy radar goes, but with the older tribes games you can see the "Command Circuit" which was basically a top down view of the map, showing all your deployables, and the range of all your turrets and radars. With that, you can at least estimate how big the other radars are. This game, has zero reference of that sort.

It's one of the many issues I have with the game.

Card Boy

Banned
Technician Thumper
Jackal

The Jackal has being nerfed significantly since it came out. Also any dickhead Infiltrator or Raider deserves a thumper to the face for coming near the generator.

ycRoo.jpg

AdmrlSnackbar

Hit me up, guys, haven't played Tribes since the first one and I'm enjoying the few games I've been in. Would like a clan/buddies to stomp with though.

Foofaraw

This game is fun. I have never played a Tribes game before, so I don't have anything to compare it against besides stuff like Halo and Battlefield. I like this game a lot more. The projectile based weapons are a lot of fun, and I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it to get xp a bit faster. I don't know how to get better, but I have been in the top 3 in TDM all day, and I need to play more CTF.

Does anyone else have a huge preference for one tribe over another, irrationally so? I find myself getting upset when I am not on the Diamond Swords. They just look so slick. I have been playing this far more than I planned.

AdmrlSnackbar

Hit me up, guys, haven't played Tribes since the first one and I'm enjoying the few games I've been in. Would like a clan/buddies to stomp with though.

Probably won't play tonight (or tomorrow night) but I should Wednesday.

Phosphor112

I bitch a lot cuz I feel like this game is a bastardization of Tribes. Nonetheless, it's "Tribes" enough for me at the moment... and I often get MVP... so hit me up.

Nymerio

This game is fun. I have never played a Tribes game before, so I don't have anything to compare it against besides stuff like Halo and Battlefield. I like this game a lot more. The projectile based weapons are a lot of fun, and I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it to get xp a bit faster. I don't know how to get better, but I have been in the top 3 in TDM all day, and I need to play more CTF.

Does anyone else have a huge preference for one tribe over another, irrationally so? I find myself getting upset when I am not on the Diamond Swords. They just look so slick. I have been playing this far more than I planned.

Maybe not irrationally so, but I always try to get on the Blood Eagle team. Push Those Sandrakers Off Our World!

Top Bottom