• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

M.J. Doja

Banned
bathala said:
From the impressions 5-7 hrs. I'll wait for Steam sale, but I'm sold by the demo.

I hope this comes out on XBLA. the platforming screams for controller

word is that keyboard and mouse isnt bad. it really isnt from my experience with the demo, but my wired 360 pad felt fine for the most part.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
M.J. Doja said:
word is that keyboard and mouse isnt bad. it really isnt from my experience with the demo, but my wired 360 pad felt fine for the most part.
I had NO issues playing through with a mouse and keyboard.

I'd recommend it over the controller, as firing arrows, using the grappling hook mid-jump, and using your shield quickly and effectively is much easier with a mouse. It feels like it was designed for a mouse, but I could be wrong.

There was never a point where I felt annoyed with the fact I had to use a keyboard. In fact, the best advice I can give is remap change character next/previous to mouse wheel up and down, and change weapon next/previous to Q and TAB (although you never have more than two weapons at a time with a character, so having a next AND previous button seems pointless, I only ever used Q). It makes for some incredibly smooth playing that I doubt would be possible on a controller.

First patch coming next week

Hi guys,

We'll release the first patch next week and I figured it would be good to give a heads-up.

So here's stuff that is definitely included:

- Multiple mice and keyboard support

- Controller configs and fixes, with the aim to support more controllers

- Video "lag" fix (only happened to some, i.e. if the cutscenes ended too abruptly, this will fix that)

And possibly:

- EU languages (French, Italian, German, Spanish - if we can negotiate the rights with the retail publisher, and I think it shouldn't be a huge problem)

Some other things we are considering:

- Making the last level easier (by making the you-know-what rise slower). Some thoughts would be needed though. Did everybody just keep their difficulty level at the same level that they started the game with? You can change difficulty between levels. On Easy, the rising speed is only 0.8 that of the others, but we're wondering if we should adjust it for Medium a bit too, and make Easy even easier...

- Other resolutions as default in the Launcher, possibly 1360x768 at least (we could easily add every resolution known to man, but I think we want to keep it somewhat compact) - you can always edit the resolution manually to \config\options.txt (screen_width and screen_height)

- Controller config "save" after quit, although this depends on a couple of technical things, but if it's just a bug then we'll fix it.

Future patches:

- Steam Cloud support for savegames

I'll update this as new items are added. This first patch is not a very huge patch because most of the team is actually taking a very deserved vacation. I'm estimating mid-week release for this possibly.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911111

Willeth

I'm not seeing this on the UK PSN, but the sources I'm looking at said it should have been out already. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Bah, apparently so. Back to not knowing when it's out, I guess.

I just finished the PC demo. I am going to wait for the XBLA release, but I am definitely picking it up.

The graphics are unbelievable and the platforming feels just right.

Have the people waiting for a PSN, XBLA release played with a pad in the PC demo? After trying a pad in the demo I don't see how you can not miss the super fast control over the grappling hook and bow that the mouse gives.

Mrbob

I did have a long post about the controls between 360 controller and key/mouse, but I pulled it before I hit submit reply. I didn't really want to get into the thread with those comparisons. I think each control method has its strengths, and neither are really inferior but perhaps a slight lean to key/mouse overall for what you mentioned about quicker cursor speed for doing things. The game is on a 2D plane WASD works great for movement.

But my PC is set up for solotary gaming. I want to play Trine with local co op, so this is why I'm holding out for the PSN release.

Anyone been playing any co op sessions with the PC release?

I didn't really want to get into the thread with those comparisons.
Yeah I'm hoping this doesn't descend into any type of conflict between the two types, games too good to deserve those, was just hoping people had tried the pad option before jumping in, though I'm sure they'll be demos to help decide on the console.

I guess co-op makes a bit more sense on the console ones. I'm sure the game is fully playable with pads, for all I know its tuned to help the pads better on the console releases.

Might try the last level again after Top Gear, but I refuse to drop the difficulty now I've done 93% on normal. :lol

Mrbob

You'll be fine with the PSN version. 360 controller support was built into the PC release, so I'm sure the translation to the dual shock will work well.

Well yeah, I was really talking to the people who were deciding purely on control methods. If your PC can't play it at full gorgeous mode settings then you should play it on console. Games fantastic, the more that play it the better.

Ridley327

I just beat and didn't have too much of a hair-raising time with the final level (took 4 retries) and I think I'm getting the hang of it as far as the best routes are concerned. Then again, I've built up such an immunity to rising (insert clearly dangerous hazard here) from my youth that it didn't piss me off that much. The only bullshit section is the one where you NEED to cross the large rotating plank; you have to be dead on with aiming with either the Thief or Wizard or else the whole thing is going to be fucked. Besides, the awesome ending made up for any transgressions :lol

All in all, it's a pretty fantastic game that's going to sit well with me for some time to come, especially with some of the harder achievements and general experimentation. I really like how more often than not, trying a different solution to a puzzle beyond the obvious will actually work. That's really tough to do (that, or no one is really trying) and the game pulls it off with flying colors.

This has been a pretty awesome year for DD games, if I do say so myself.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Crappy end level. It's not as hard as some are making it out to be but god is it a stupid way to end the game.

Yay, that's the game done, last level wasn't so bad once I knew what was coming. :lol

Now to get the secrets, exp and achievements on all levels.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think slowing down the you-know-what in the final level on Normal would be a good idea. I never actually tried turning it down to easy, though.

Ridley327

Amibguous Cad said:
PC demo was awesome. Definitely getting it once it hits PSN. Anyone know when that will be, BTW?

It was said at one point that it would be this Thursday, but I don't think that's a 100% lock. It should be rather soon, though. Hopefully, this thread will be more lively once PS3 owners get their mitts on it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Got the PC version in just now. Really not too shabby. Prefer 360 joypad over mousekb but I have a couch anyway.

Will probably finish it in the next couple of days. This game needs to sell, we need more like it.

Ridley327

The best answer to that is probably.

Here's the trophy breakdown for the game, which includes a platinum and what appears to be two extra trophies versus the 30 Steam achievements. Multiplayer-centric ones, perhaps?

On a related note, I hate trying to kill 5 enemies with one drop; there's always one who fucks it up.

EDIT: Forgot that Playstation Lifestyle was banned, so the link has been updated.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ridley327 said:
The best answer to that is probably.

Here's the trophy breakdown for the game, which includes a platinum and what appears to be two extra trophies versus the 30 Steam achievements. Multiplayer-centric ones, perhaps?

On a related note, I hate trying to kill 5 enemies with one drop; there's always one who fucks it up.
Shard, your ass in here, now! Update them trophies boy!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bit of an update on Trine.

http://gametapblog.com/

GameTap Shop New Release: Trine

Trine

Frozenbyte’s latest release, Trine, is available now at the GameTap shop for $29.95. In Trine you’ll guide the three heroes (the thief, the wizard, and the knight) through a lush 2.5D fantasy world on a quest to save the kingdom. Rich graphics, solid gameplay and clever puzzles come together in what I believe may be a modern platforming classic. You can check out the demo right here.

I’m told the GameTap version includes some exclusive content, 4 wallpapers, and 3 songs from the soundtrack.

Buy Trine from Gametap

http://shop.gametap.com/pc-games/buy-download-Trine.html

Xater

I tried out the demo and loved it but I have to wait for the PSN release. There is supposed to be something about this game on the Playstation blog this thursday btw.

Mar

I only found out about this game a few days ago. It looks awesome.

If they release a XBLA version I'll buy it. If they don't... Well, I just can't.

Ridley327

Although I am tooting my own horn here, I am officially Better Than Developers! I'm not sure if it's hilarious or sad that more people have also done the same than they have found all the experience in the game :lol

Funny enough, I'm starting to really like the Tower of Sarek. It's great to be able to figure out shortcuts that help circumvent problem areas (like the timed platforms besieged by the plank summons) as well as how quickly you can avoid having to fight any of the enemies up top (it's the easiest level to get the Undead Have Rights, Too! achievement by far). The lava speed is definitely faster on Very Hard, but not insurmountably so; the biggest threat is the crate/plank summons by far.

I really do hope this shows up on PSN tomorrow; PS3 owners really are in for a treat.

LiquidMetal14

Ridley327 said:
Although I am tooting my own horn here, I am officially Better Than Developers! I'm not sure if it's hilarious or sad that more people have also done the same than they have found all the experience in the game :lol

Funny enough, I'm starting to really like the Tower of Sarek. It's great to be able to figure out shortcuts that help circumvent problem areas (like the timed platforms besieged by the plank summons) as well as how quickly you can avoid having to fight any of the enemies up top (it's the easiest level to get the Undead Have Rights, Too! achievement by far). The lava speed is definitely faster on Very Hard, but not insurmountably so; the biggest threat is the crate/plank summons by far.

I really do hope this shows up on PSN tomorrow; PS3 owners really are in for a treat.
According to the PSN thread it has been confirmed for tomorrow at 20 dollah.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nice to see the game getting some good reviews.

It's going to be amazing watching people speed-run this, really amazing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Trine just patched through Steam for me, no notes as to what it did though but odds are it's the patch mentioned earlier in this thread.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very surprised that the GiantBomb review said that the controller works better than the mouse and keyboard. I tried playing with the 360 pad, and while it works just fine, I found that the control with the mouse just worked a whole lot better.

FrankT

Trine looked like it was going to take the world by storm. With an amazing twist on 2D gaming with 3D graphics (á la LittleBigPlanet), it had everyone excited.

You may notice how I used past tense in the paragraph above. This is because the price has been revealed on the Official European PlayStation Blog and it is leaving some people a bit stunned. It seems the US will get it for $19.99, fair enough. But it will also cost £19.99 and €19.99 in the UK and Europe respectively.

Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems like slightly dubious conversion rates right there. Granted the pound is weak at the moment. But the dollar isn’t exactly at it’s best either. The UK price is roughly the equivalent of $32.

Still, the game might be worth it. They are touting it as a fully fledged retail title, as opposed to a small quirky downloadable one like the £3.99 ones many of us are used to on the PlayStation Store.

Trine is supposed to hit the PSN before the end of July.

http://www.justvideogames.co.uk/trine-psn-price-revealed-2293.html

Euro guys getting boned on this deal it would seem.

FrankT

Well I got it for $20 on PC so I can't complain, and I will not pay more than that on the console side either.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dejan said:
For 20$ this game would have already been mine on Steam. Haven't spend any money on PSN yet and I'd like to keep it that way ... guess I'll be waiting for a Steam deal.
....what? That doesn't make any sense.

LiquidMetal14

xbhaskarx said:
He wants it on Steam, but for $20 not $30. PSN is not Steam.
WTF is so confusing about that?
Most irrational complaint. Who cares, same price and trophies. It's not steam but who gives a damn.

Top Bottom