• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine (PC/PSN) |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Most irrational complaint. Who cares, same price and trophies. It's not steam but who gives a damn.

Not really. If the guy has a decent PC it will look a hell of a lot better than the PS3 version which is a pretty good reason to want it on Steam in my opinion. Personally I was surprised to find that the mouse and keyboard control scheme worked a lot better than using a gamepad which is one more reason (for me at least) to prefer the PC version.

Ridley327

I'd wager that getting the trophy for beating the final level without deaths on Very Hard is going to be considerably more difficult due to how different the properties for the grappling hook; with a controller, it automatically latches onto the closest grapple point instead of the free-aim you get with M/KB. That's going to make a couple of sections very hairy.

Also, this game is totally worth $30.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Zefah said:
Not really. If the guy has a decent PC it will look a hell of a lot better than the PS3 version which is a pretty good reason to want it on Steam in my opinion. Personally I was surprised to find that the mouse and keyboard control scheme worked a lot better than using a gamepad which is one more reason (for me at least) to prefer the PC version.
If my PC could run I would consider it for sure. It's about 6 years old and obsolete at this point though. Fair points.

Zefah said:

And that would have been a perfectly fine reason if he had stated so. He didn't say that though. He said: "Haven't spend any money on PSN yet and I'd like to keep it that way" implying that he is perfectly fine with giving money to Valve, but not Sony for some abstract reason.

Snowden

Banned
If you have twenty dollars, you have thirty dollars. Holding out for a "deal" on such a fantastic game makes you a sad sack that is only hurting himself.

chubigans said:
....what? That doesn't make any sense.

Better DRM, better control options, 60fps, better graphics and the ability to play it on a lot more machines makes it make a heck of a lot of sense to me. *Shrugs*

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Valkyr Junkie said:
And that would have been a perfectly fine reason if he had stated so. He didn't say that though. He said: "Haven't spend any money on PSN yet and I'd like to keep it that way" implying that he is perfectly fine with giving money to Valve, but not Sony for some abstract reason.
This is exactly what doesn't make sense. It would be different if he stated what brain_stew just did...but I don't quite understand not spending money on a console for the principle of...what?

Everybody should just skip out on a night at the pub and give this game a download on whatever platform you can, I'm on the second last level and it's been so worth it. Co-op is a blast too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
chubigans said:
This is exactly what doesn't make sense. It would be different if he stated what brain_stew just did...but I don't quite understand not spending money on a console for the principle of...what?
Who cares. I wouldn't spend money on any Steam game for example, for simple reason that I don't want any DRM on my computer games, or for a game to require online connection to be played. On consoles you don't have choice in matter, but on PC there almost always is. Everyone has their reasons.

Lord Error said:
Who cares. I wouldn't spend money on any Steam game for example, for simple reason that I don't want any DRM on my computer games, or for a game to require online connection to be played. On consoles you don't have choice in matter, but on PC there almost always is. Everyone has their reasons.

Offline mode? Sure, it didn't work 3 years ago, but it works now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:

You must not be doing much PC gaming if you can't handle DRM.

I can't think of any Steam games that require an internet connection to play outside of the initial activation.

chubigans said:

Fair enough, though he may be talking about the DRM implications which are a bit iffy on the console side, especially wrt whether the PS4 will be BC with your digital purchases. hat I've alreadyused my Steam account on a bout half a dozen machines already and that it will support plenty of machines in the future is very reassuring. Still, Sony have a pretty solid DRM scheme all things considered, so it seems a silly reason, I could absolutely understand not wanting to spend on XBLM or Wiiware, they're rather restrictive tbh.

Zefah said:

I can't think of any Steam games that require an internet connection to play outside of the initial activation.

Honestly, Steam's DRM scheme is very fair. It actually offers you the ability to do a lot of stuff that you couldn't with a disc copy, which is pretty damn cool. The ease with which you can move games around different machines with such ease (and in a variety of ways, download, backup DVD, straight copy paste of the Steamapps data etc.) is damn nice.

brain_stew said:
Honestly, Steam's DRM scheme is very fair. It actually offers you the ability to do a lot of stuff that you couldn't with a disc copy, which is pretty damn cool. The ease with which you can move games around different machines with such ease (and in a variety of ways, download, backup DVD, straight copy paste of the Steamapps data etc.) is damn nice.

Pretty much, the portability of my steam games is the reason why I've become so accepting of it's drm. Whenever i do a fresh install of windows, i just copy over a single folder and then my entire library is installed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zefah said:
There's almost always a way around it. Yes, Steam DRM is fair, I'm aware of that, but I see no reason compelling enough to have it, when you can have the same games without it, still installed on your HDD. One nice incentive I've seen on another similar weak-DRM PC service PlayGreenhouse (which doesn't have launcher), is to have the game you purchased on PC for free on Mac or Linux, if the game is available on them.

xbhaskarx

Valkyr Junkie said:
The fact that he doesn't want to spend money on PSN for any good reason at all? Pretty damn confusing to me.

Some people prefer playing on the PC if given a choice. I'm not one of those people, I have tons of XBLA and PSN games. But if he wants it on Steam instead of PSN, that's his business.

xbhaskarx said:
Some people prefer playing on the PC if given a choice. I'm not one of those people, I have tons of XBLA and PSN games. But if he wants it on Steam instead of PSN, that's his business.

:lol it's like I'm talking to brick walls in here. Preferring to play a game on the PC over consoles is perfectly fine, nobody cares, BUT HE DID NOT PHRASE HIS COMMENT LIKE THAT. What's so hard to understand about that? Re-read his original comment.

pje122

Just finished it a few minutes ago. The last level wasn't nearly as bad as Remo was making it out to be... what a drama queen. -_-

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheHeretic said:
This game isn't getting nearly enough attention, which is unfortunate. Its incredible.

If it was $10 less I'm sure people would be recommending it to everyone they know. The perceived difference between $30 and $20 is huge. A great game at $20 is generally considered a steal. At $30 that perceived value is greatly diminished.

I think the level of excitement would be a lot higher if the game was $20. Hopefully it will do a lot better on PSN and later on XBL.

VALIS

Started playing this yesterday on the PC and am really enjoying it. Great look, decent puzzles, suitably difficult and fun to play. Might be a year end top-10 of mine.

Mrbob

Not out yet on PSN. By the 'end of july' frozenbyte developers say.

TheHeretic said:
This game isn't getting nearly enough attention, which is unfortunate. Its incredible.

Part of the problem is the game has only been released on one platform so far. It made the steam top sellers list last week:

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

The top 10 list is based on revenue and Trine is $29.99 while most of the other games are more expensive. Not bad.

Still hanging around the top 10 sellers on steam right now as well.

TheHeretic said:

It's been mentioned on every gaming podcast that I listen to and every multiplatform gaming site that I read, with the coverage being overwhelmingly favorable. The only digital delivery game that I remember getting this much coverage was Braid. I'm not counting titles from major publishers or longtime franchises like Worms. Trine is getting a TON of attention for what it is.

Ridley327

I still don't see how it's not worth $30.

-it has fantastic visuals that are easily scalable to lower-end systems
-it has 16 levels filled to the brim with environmental puzzles with tons of ways to solve each one
-each level has a lot of secrets to find, most of which are actually well-hidden and worth pursuing
-finely tuned gameplay that encourages experimentation
-achievements that are actually fun and challenging to obtain
-a fine co-op mode with the possibility of an online patch later down the line
-support for multiple controller configurations, including a "better than gamepad" mouse/keyboard setup

What more do the fence-sitters want?

I swear if this is a 2D thing....

Ridley327 said:

-it has 16 levels filled to the brim with environmental puzzles with tons of ways to solve each one
-each level has a lot of secrets to find, most of which are actually well-hidden and worth pursuing
-support for multiple controller configurations, including a "better than gamepad" mouse/keyboard setup

I think most people are waiting for it's cheaper counterpart on PSN and XBLA.

Ridley327 said:

PSN or bust.

Jtrizzy

I still would have, but I agree with the earlier post that there is a big difference between $20 and $30. I think it really would have struggled at $30 on PSN or XBL.

mrgone

Snowden said:
If you have twenty dollars, you have thirty dollars. Holding out for a "deal" on such a fantastic game makes you a sad sack that is only hurting himself.

You just blew my mind!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's all mental, but it's still significant enough. $20 is a $20 bill. I can get $20 from the ATM no problem. $30 is two or more seperate bills, a denomination I can't withdraw so easily. Even though this is a digital purchase, people still apply their cash purchasing style to their CC purchasing style. Similarly, $20 is one third of a full-priced or the price of a shitty used game/PS2 classic, $30 is half of a full-priced game OR the used value of a full-priced quality game, OR the price of a brand new Greatest Hits such as MGS4. Trine does not equal MGS4. In the end we all assign certain values to certain games, and a downloadable side-scroller that doesn't last more than 5-6 hours doesn't equate to theprice point of $30 for most people.

Ridley327

worldrevolution said:
It's all mental, but it's still significant enough. $20 is a $20 bill. I can get $20 from the ATM no problem. $30 is two or more seperate bills, a denomination I can't withdraw so easily. Even though this is a digital purchase, people still apply their cash purchasing style to their CC purchasing style. Similarly, $20 is one third of a full-priced or the price of a shitty used game/PS2 classic, $30 is half of a full-priced game OR the used value of a full-priced quality game, OR the price of a brand new Greatest Hits such as MGS4. Trine does not equal MGS4. In the end we all assign certain values to certain games, and a downloadable side-scroller that doesn't last more than 5-6 hours doesn't equate to theprice point of $30 for most people.

With no disrespect towards you, people who think like that are complete retards. This is that stupid bullcrap that went down in the Marvelous thread.

"They should put Muramasa on XBLA for $20 because DURRRRRRRRR"

worldrevolution said:

The game is too expensive at 30$ but that's the most nonsensical post I've read in a while.

JudgeN

Not understanding graphic war here, its a PSN title and its most likely full 1080p 60 FPS with 2 or 4x AA on PS3. I'm go with the cheaper version here.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
DevelopmentArrested said:
The game is too expensive at 30$ but that's the most nonsensical post I've read in a while.

Trust me I wrote the post knowing full well that'd be the response, but I'd appreciate an elaboration on your part.

Ridley327

JudgeN said:
Not understanding graphic war here, its a PSN title and its most likely full 1080p 60 FPS with 2 or 4x AA on PS3. I'm go with the cheaper version here.

It's nice to want things.

I have no idea how the final version runs, but I don't think it's going to be that good

The superiority of the M/KB controls is a little harder to argue against, IMO.

Ridley327 said:
It's nice to want things.

I have no idea how the final version runs, but I don't think it's going to be that good

The superiority of the M/KB controls is a little harder to argue against, IMO.

People say that about wii controls on an FPS too.

Top Bottom