• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck Carrying 9 Million Bees Spills In Montana...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

127846.jpg

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- A tractor-trailer overturned on a curve on a highway, spilling its load of hundreds of bee hives and unleashing some nine million angry honey bees.
The bees buzzed furiously as driver Lane Miller, has arm scraped to the bone, struggled to flee his rig after it overturned Monday in Bear Trap Canyon west of Bozeman. The truck slid across the highway before coming to a stop between guardrails.

"I had to kick the windshield out of the front of the cab and the bees were on me from that moment," said Miller, 41. "I've never felt so much fear in my life."

Miller walked away from the crash, and two people picked him up and took him to the hospital. Miller underwent surgery on his arm and suffered bruises and about 20 stings.

The state road was closed for 14 hours as crews and beekeepers cleaned up the 512 hives Miller was hauling from Idaho to North Dakota.

In spite of bee suits and extra clothing, beekeeper Gary Clark said he counted about 60 stings of his own.

"Everybody had literally thousands of bees on them, in their hats and on their suits," Clark said. "When we pulled the boxes out, big globs of them would fall on us."

Firefighters directing traffic also suffered stings.

"The bees were so agitated you could barely see the beekeepers or the wreckage itself, just because of the cloud of bees that were swarming," said fire chief Shawn Christiansen.

It wasn't until 3 am. Tuesday that a tow truck got in to haul out the tractor-trailer, leaving behind pools of honey from the overturned hives.

State Transportation Department employees dropped sand on the road to soak up the sticky mess.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm surprised the driver didn't have one of these with him in the truck:

flamethrower_upward.jpg

Pretty careless to not have one if you ask me...

Matlock

Banned
This is so wrong, yet so funny. I don't know whether it's the fact I can't really think of what a truck carrying bees would look like...or just the fact someone was hauling bees.

Ceros

Matlock said:
This is so wrong, yet so funny. I don't know whether it's the fact I can't really think of what a truck carrying bees would look like...or just the fact someone was hauling bees.

Mommy, I wanna haul bees when I grow up!

COCKLES

being watched
Kuroyume said:
I'm surprised the driver didn't have one of these with him in the truck:

flamethrower_upward.jpg

Pretty careless to not have one if you ask me...

They didn't do the guys in....

B000067FP4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...much good.

SOS Micheal Caine!

The driver should be thankful they weren't Japanese Hornets = America oliterated.

Doth Togo

Bozeman, Mont. - June 17, 2004

State Wildlife Officials are baffled as to why the entire population of bears in Montana has flocked to a small stretch of highway in Bear Trap Canyon west of Bozeman, beginning around 3:05AM Tuesday.

Federal Wildlife Marshal Willenholly described the bears as "the most dangerous animal known to man" and pled for citizens to remain calm. Researchers estimate that bears were traveling from as far away as Idaho and North Dakota to join in the seemingly impromptu bear convention.

State officials say that the fact that the convention is taking place near Bear Trap Canyon is merely coincidence and that conspiracy theorists should not except a bear uprising in the near future.

- - - - - -

LOL!

bjork

MrAngryFace said:
I drove through Montana once, and sure enough, the first thought that came to mind was: "This place needs some bees."

Is there a thumbs up smiley? I need one for this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom