• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau Meets Merkel in Berlin, Calls Germany 'True Friend'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

The POTUS is massively influential as we are finding out now. Doesn't make the US is utopia, the US has tons of problems, but it's tentacles of influence extend widely, culturally, financially, militarily.
The current one is working hard to change all that. Give him some time. Rome didn't fall in a day.

wandering

Banned
I'm not seeing what makes all the Trudeau love so different from the Obama love when he was elected. They're photogenetic, lead with natural charisma and speaking skill, and have a strong appeal to young voters. What's hard to get about it?

Pretty much. They're young, charismatic modern liberals.

MUnited83

For you.
What's with this Trudeau circlejerk of late?

He's not the leader of the free world. Sorry.

I like him, to be fair. But the POTUS is still that. Orange turd in office or not.

Can't be leader of the free world if you're not for freedom.

You can't also be a leader when all your actions are controlled by Bannon + Putin.

The POTUS is massively influential as we are finding out now. Doesn't make the US is utopia, the US has tons of problems, but it's tentacles of influence extend widely, culturally, financially, militarily.
He's working hard to guarantee that all of that will be gone. If the motherfuck somehow gets 8 years then the US will descend from their superpower status and will never recover in your lifetime.

Shoeless

The current one is working hard to change all that. Give him some time. Rome didn't fall in a day.

It's going to be a very strange global situation if the USA suddenly becomes this country with farms, coal mines, state controlled press, and the majority of employment coming from factories that manufacture gasoline fueled cars with a huge wall around the nation, and a predominantly white population that, on paper, is 100% heterosexual, with abortion having been outlawed decades ago that believes the rest of the world has descended into barbarism. Meanwhile the rest of the world is using fusion reactors, China or Germany is the new world economic power, and there are global alliances celebrating the first colony on Mars.

Oppo

I like him, to be fair. But the POTUS is still that. Orange turd in office or not.

wow. really hit a nerve there, huh.

respect is earned, not given, entremet.

Hilti92

I helped him get elected. You're welcome.
Me too. However, not sure I will vote him in again. Him dropping electoral reform is a huge slap in the face to me and I have no knowledge on the topic. I understand that Canadians for the most part didn't give a shit but he has no established himself as someone who breaks promises. Great man though, very compassionate and intelligent.

Quick

Banned
Friendship ended with USA
Now GERMANY is my best friend

9lpR1iJ.jpg

I'm not seeing what makes all the Trudeau love so different from the Obama love when he was elected. They're photogenetic, lead with natural charisma and speaking skill, and have a strong appeal to young voters. What's hard to get about it?.

Agree but for one thing: J-Tru is not the public speaker that Obama was when in office. Not even close.

If I were to mark anyone as leader of the free world

it would belong to the country with most global influence.

So either Russia or the USA. Because compared to them, any other political power is a childs play thing.

Ennosuke

I love Canada. I was only there for 3 months, but as a German I felt at home there.

So yeah let's be best friends.

frontovik

Banned
As a Canadian, I feel that strengthened relations between Canada and Germany is always welcomed...

I'm not a fan of Trudeau though. He embraces his 'nice guy' image .. but he seems to lack the experience & skill-set to play hard-ball or manoeuvre in the nasty realm of politics.

People would have to give more of a shit about what Canada does for its leader to be the de facto leader of the Western democracies/free world in lieu of the US (sorry, Canadians).

I mean if anyone were to claim that mantle it would be the woman he met with.

EloKa

If I were to mark anyone as leader of the free world

it would belong to the country with most global influence.

So either Russia or the USA. Because compared to them, any other political power is a childs play thing.
like china?

On topic: Canada is awesome

akira28

um..yeah, about that.

it doesn't look like people are lining up to follow his "lead". More like trying to make some distance like they smell something terrible.

entremet

wow. really hit a nerve there, huh.

respect is earned, not given, entremet.
No. I like him.

If only the US wasn't as influential, Trump reign of terror can be contained. Sadly, it is not.

Canada's influence is far from the US's. That's not an insult. That's a geopolitical reality.

Nerazar

They also speak French, but that just makes them even more relatable.

It's perfect for me, because I studied English *and* French.

If I were to come to the US, people would attack me and say that I should learn "American" instead... so maybe I should look a little bit farther North.

Acorn

:( It's so sad that UK isn't a part of this any more, even worse, up the ass of Trump's administration, world embarrassment and terrible for UK citizens.
We never were. The mail and sun run and ran our politics regardless of party or prime minister.

entremet

Even we Canadians seem to pay more attention to the US politics shitshow than our own.
Well it is stable now. Canada that is. Compared to the IS meaning.

Trump is an abusive father that may blow up at anytime and we're his children.

You're the concerned neighbors wanting to call Child Protective Services but can't. :(

LordOfChaos

Well it is stable now. Canada that is. Compared to the IS meaning.

Trump is an abusive father that may blow up at anytime and we're his children.

You're the concerned neighbors wanting to call Child Protective Services but can't. :(

Well, it is boring. Plus watching US politics is like you are watching action comedy movie.

Pretty much. I may not love all our politicians, but it's pretty stable and level headed, so we have to feed off the drama of our neighbours to the south, lol.

Cynar

Not since January. As a Canadian, I see Germany as more of a leader of the free world than the current POTUS.

Mobius 1

Well, what is the criteria for the label? Trump isn't championing any of the causes or values that America claims to represent. Not even at home.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
To anyone taking the Trudeau as "leader of the free world" thing seriously: please understand that those saying it are only doing so to mock gutter_trash.

Mr.Sumal

Me too. However, not sure I will vote him in again. Him dropping electoral reform is a huge slap in the face to me and I have no knowledge on the topic. I understand that Canadians for the most part didn't give a shit but he has no established himself as someone who breaks promises. Great man though, very compassionate and intelligent.

How can you hate someone for something you don't know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom