• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective S1 is a masterpiece still.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Hmm, she did Tigers Are Not Afraid, which looks pretty good:

Did you ever get around to watching this? What did you think? I watched it recently. Man what a depressing movie. My wife is from a poor south american country and she said this movie isnt too far from reality sometimes. I enjoyed it though.

DKehoe

Oh yea I'll explain all the bullshit episodes when they come. Slaves and Masters (James's episode) will be fun lol.
l16e3o788le71.gif

It's perfect. Only Sopranos is above it in terms of TV shows and only because there's far more episodes in the latter. I also love Six Feet Under. Those three are untouchable imo.

I know S3 is meant to be good, how is S4? I was afraid to watch any other season lol.

Last edited:
So I also recently rewatched S1 and it was eye-opening again in terms of how formulaic and generic it makes so many other shows feel. Everything feels like some Old Testament biblical wrath is coming down any day now. Southern Gothic is some of the coolest shit on earth to me and S1 is all the coolest shit of that in one stew.

That shot of Reggie Ledoux (sp?) with the gas mask is pure nightmare evil. Special kudos to that.

It's perfect. Only Sopranos is above it in terms of TV shows and only because there's far more episodes in the latter. I also love Six Feet Under. Those three are untouchable imo.

I know S3 is meant to be good, how is S4? I was afraid to watch any other season lol.

Season 4 is woke trash. It wasn’t written by the same guy that wrote seasons 1-3.

I managed to get through the first 2 episodes and shut it off. So fucking bad.

thefool

Episodes 1-5 are the only tv that I would put at the same level as the best movies of its genre.

screen-shot-2016-07-14-at-1-18-45-pm.png

It's as close as you get to a perfect 5-hour crime story ending with Rust checking the school.

6-8 fall into common tv trappings but it really doesn't spoil the best season of a television series.

Btw, i just noticed that google pushes s4 for most true detective results ugh.

Last edited:

rm082e

I just watched this a few months ago because everyone was yelling on the internet about how great it was. Boy...everyone was spot on. What a great show.

Now I need to watch:
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Chernobyl
  • Shogun
  • Watchman
  • The Mare of Easttown

I just watched this a few months ago because everyone was yelling on the internet about how great it was. Boy...everyone was spot on. What a great show.

Now I need to watch:
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Chernobyl
  • Shogun
  • Watchman
  • The Mare of Easttown
Highly recommend Chernobyl and Mare of Easttown.
Absolutely! Chernobyl and Mare are top TV as well, among the best stuff I've seen along with S1 of TD.

RAÏSanÏa

Just rewatched this due to the Agatha poster. Even better the second. So much detail in it I missed the first time. One of the smoothest intellecually fast-paced thrillers with clearly stated, cogent occult ideas sympathetically used as devices to alter the mind of the audience. Spectacular.

I love each season individually (except S4; Issa Lopez returning as showrunner for S5 is sacrilegious).

S2 is underrated. The Vinci shootout, subway tunnel shootout, Monterey cabin raid, and the finale among the Redwoods were all very well done.

Top Bottom