• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump cancels his Harley-Davidson factory visit over the company's protest concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How embarrassing. Not even 2 weeks in and corporations are already afraid to be seen next to him. Is this "unpresidented"?

Really cements the reality of Harleys true demographic. I have thought for years that "Bikers" on harleys are semi retired upper middle class professional white dudes. People that get nervous when they see them on the highway crack me. Look out it's a bunch of lawyers, doctors and accountants out for a spin.

Those guys drive Hondas. Harleys employees must have raised hell. They are strong union employees.

Beartruck

Yep. He loves talking to crowds, imagine how pissed he is knowing he can't do that.
Haha yeah, he is a world class narcissist. Getting hate all day without a crowd of supporters to massage his ego must be killing him. Saw a gif of him signing an EO this morning and he looked like he hadn't slept in a week (Dat presidential super aging setting in id guess).

Boem

PSY・S;229465938 said:
what can trump do to curb protests?

Whine about how those same people weren't protesting Obama.

Or something about Hillary being crooked.

Brag about how everyone secretly loves him and the criticism represents a minimal, sad portion of society.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts taking action for his 'special police' anytime soon.

American Gaffers, do your thing. Never accept this. As of right now, the US is very much on the way to becoming a failed state. You could argue it's already becoming a dictatorship. This will have consequences and it will get worse.

Keep making noise. Keep being honest. There are nazi's in the White House. Not too long ago that sentence would sound like a joke. It's actually real now.

RDreamer

Wouldn't the factory workers be most likely pro Trump? The only reason to cancel this is they are afraid of backlash in sales.
Harley is unionized. They may not have been that pro Trump.

Most likely though it's really bad to be on the news with a bunch of protests so that's probably the primary reason. Companies don't give a fuck about whether their employees like it or not.

Boem

Wouldn't the factory workers be most likely pro Trump? The only reason to cancel this is they are afraid of backlash in sales.

I don't think factory workers have anything to say about a high up visit like that. It's just the head office making those decisions in a situation like that, Trump or not.

Maybe protesting isn't futile after all?

(i saw some folks argue otherwise on here the other day, seemed pretty convinced!)

He never should Have been planning it in the first place. He's fucking president. Has he said one fucking word to try and deescalate tensions at all? Fuck even Bush after 9/11 managed to do that

I honestly don't think they have any intentions of doing that. Fairly certain they're intending to lean on the chaos and try to wrap their arguments around it in some skewed perspective.

Future

He never should Have been planning it in the first place. He's fucking president. Has he said one fucking word to try and deescalate tensions at all? Fuck even Bush after 9/11 managed to do that

Trump doesn't try to Ease tensions because

- thinks everyone already agrees with him
- the few that don't are bad apples that need to be purged

I don't think factory workers have anything to say about a high up visit like that. It's just the head office making those decisions in a situation like that, Trump or not.

Harley Davidson is employee owned. Those factory workers have an awesome union and have a lot to say on how the business is ran. Unions despise Trump.

Wouldn't be able to handle the Harley crowd like Biden anyway, yo.

biden.jpg

Zophar

It would be a twist of fate just as unbelievable as everything else about this situation if the corporate world manages to be the one that stops this bullshit ride.

It would be a twist of fate just as unbelievable as everything else about this situation if the corporate world manages to be the one that stops this bullshit ride.

It's what got the homophobic NC governor out of office, so it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Shoeless

That would be an amazing thing. If companies like Facebook, Twitter or even automobile or pharmaceutical companies actually developed an active social conscience that they put into practice it would be just nuts.

I don't even know what you'd call that, since it would be the opposite of cyberpunk, with white knight multi-national corporations fighting evil, corrupt governments.

Do not count on them - they have made literally no effort so far compared to what they could say and do.

All - or nearly all - they care about is whatever bit of red tape trump has hinted he can remove that will expand their pricing power: Less regulations less protections less environment less federal anti-monopoly powers less oversight more bribery less unionism more lobbyists MORE MONEY.

Ran rp

Become a different person entirely.

Make protesting illegal.

Whine about how those same people weren't protesting Obama.

Or something about Hillary being crooked.

Brag about how everyone secretly loves him and the criticism represents a minimal, sad portion of society.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts taking action for his 'special police' anytime soon.

American Gaffers, do your thing. Never accept this. As of right now, the US is very much on the way to becoming a failed state. You could argue it's already becoming a dictatorship. This will have consequences and it will get worse.

Keep making noise. Keep being honest. There are nazi's in the White House. Not too long ago that sentence would sound like a joke. It's actually real now.

resign or renounce his insane fascist politics

i meant realistically lol

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19...ropose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/

REPUBLICAN LAWMAKERS IN FIVE STATES PROPOSE BILLS TO CRIMINALIZE PEACEFUL PROTEST said:
In North Dakota, for instance, Republicans introduced a bill last week that would allow motorists to run over and kill any protester obstructing a highway as long as a driver does so accidentally. In Minnesota, a bill introduced by Republicans last week seeks to dramatically stiffen fines for freeway protests and would allow prosecutors to seek a full year of jail time for protesters blocking a highway. Republicans in Washington state have proposed a plan to reclassify as a felony civil disobedience protests that are deemed ”economic terrorism" ... And in Iowa a Republican lawmaker has pledged to introduce legislation to crack down on highway protests.

It's gonna be a lot more than 5 states by the end of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see an EO along these lines at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom