• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Source: Rosenstein told lawmakers and staff he plans to allow FBI investigation to move forward, uninhibited by pressures from White House

https://twitter.com/stevebruskCNN/status/863131418460905472

A good way to do that would be to appoint a special prosecutor.

Saying "I don't plan to interfere but I reserve the right to interfere if I have to, like when I helped the president fire the FBI director," is not really all that compelling.

Boke1879

Listen I don't like Comey, but that makes sense. Shit is just too tense right now and ANY testimony he gives can be spun that he's bitter about getting fired.

Plus dude probably really wants time off.

Can't say I blame him. He's but up to his nose in dealing with this shit for years now with no end to the investigation in sight. And now he's been given a forced and sudden break from it so he might as well enjoy it for a bit and try to get some rest and recover. Has to be jarring going from 100% all the time to suddenly no job, especially in such a stressful situation as it was in the FBI.

rucury

Banned
Source w/firsthand knowledge tells me Comey turned down Senate invite to testify b/c "wants to lay low for a while & take some time off"

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/863132973167779840

Makes sense. Let the dust settle first.

oh its cool. don't worry, we'll just... i dunno hang around I guess? yeah no worries just come help out whenever you're ready. nah its totally fine! he hasn't implemented a national curfew just yet... so yeah we'll just... wait...

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Comey scared of Trump's "tapes." Sad!

Someone close to Comey said he hopes he releases the tapes if he actually has any.

oh its cool. don't worry, we'll just... i dunno hang around I guess? yeah no worries just come help out whenever you're ready. nah its totally fine! he hasn't implemented a national curfew just yet... so yeah we'll just... wait...

Anything he says can be spun. In a matter of seconds just by saying he is pissed he got fired.

Moofers

I wonder if Trump is dumb enough to think that Comey declining the invite to testify means that he managed to "scare him off" and that Trump actually "won" this round. I can see his brain working right now:

"The threat of the tapes worked! Comey is going on vacation, but that really means he's backing down and doesn't want any of this. I win!"

Sephzilla

Maybe Rosenstein sees no need for a special prosecutor because he knows there's so much shit coming Trumps way that no level of interference will even matter?

#TryingToBeOptimistic

ayeorkean

N6ZgMdr_d.jpg

Breaking: Dep AG Rosenstein sees no need at this point for special prosecutor in #Russia probe - sources tell @evanperez @mkraju
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/863136317764497408

The important thing to note here is that a special prosecutor would be selected by the AG's office anyway. So his or her "independence" would likely be a charade.

If evidence is found of a conspiracy, the best thing would be for that information to leak, thereby forcing Rosenstein's hand, preventing him from sitting on it.

That's that.

This case is dead.

No. Comey agreeing to speak would indicate the case was dead. As long as Comey is still confident on the integrity of the investigation, he isn't going to do anything that could interfere with it.

If we see Comey go loud that's a sign that he doesn't have any other option.

antonz

Its the Same Law Firm that he used to show his "taxes" with thousands of blank sheets of paper. Not that their word matters. Russia would not be overtly funneling money. It would be through shell corporations etc.

On quick look everything would look fine its digging into the shells etc. where things would unravel.

Sephzilla

Yeah, Comey going quiet for a little bit likely means he has a lot of confidence in the investigation.

If he was at the point where he was requesting more prosecutors that likely means we're getting close to the point of charges/arrests, isn't it?

Could you explain this? I haven't heard about it.

Louise Mensch suggested yesterday that her sources indicate arrests were close to being made. She later suggested it would start with Jeff Sessions today. Though she has been right about a few things such as the FISA warrants, she has also reported a bunch of things that are widely seen as conspiracy theories, so it is worth taking what she reports with a large amount of salt.

Moofers

Louise Mensch suggested yesterday that her sources indicate arrests were close to being made. She later suggested it would start with Jeff Sessions today. Though she has been right about a few things such as the FISA warrants, she has also reported a bunch of things that are widely seen as conspiracy theories, so it is worth taking what she reports with a large amount of salt.

Ah, I see. I just followed her on twitter now. Thanks! I've seen her and that Claude guy going back and forth but hadn't heard about Sessions maybe being arrested today. Too bad it looks like the sun is setting on that. I'd have rolled into the weekend with a happy hour.

I admittedly follow Mensch and co. on Twitter as well, and sometimes her sources pan out... but not a chance on this one.

that trump would be a horrible poker player. he cant even keep a poker face, let alone a simple lie together for more than 5 minutes

--------------------------

When the big arrests happen, if they happen, it wont be during the day. and it wont be one by one.

It'll be 3 am when marshalls, fbi, and alphabet agencies arrest a ton of people. imho and everyone will wake up to breaking news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom