• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump offers to 'destroy career' of a Texas state senator opposed to asset forfeiture

Status
Not open for further replies.
For getting in the way of measures on asset forfeiture.

Dallas News said:
WASHINGTON — There's a Texas state senator with a new target on his back, courtesy of President Donald Trump and the Rockwall County sheriff.
At a meeting Tuesday morning with sheriffs from around the country, Sheriff Harold Eavenson complained about a state senator for getting in the way of measures on asset forfeiture he felt would be helpful.

"Want to give his name? We'll destroy his career," Trump offered.

The sheriff declined, according to pool reporters on hand in the Roosevelt Room and Oval Office at the White House, where Trump met with law officers from around the country.
Eavenson is in line to become president of the National Sheriff's Association in June. He has been active in the Sheriff's Association of Texas.

Man. At some point, Trump is going to crash and burn and it's not going to be pretty.

You put all that negativity out there and it's bound to come back to you in droves.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
On asset forfeiture of all things makes this the evil on top of evil on top of evil.

Sheriff Harold Eavenson complained about a state senator for getting in the way of measures on asset forfeiture he felt would be helpful.

Remember folks, civil forfeiture is where cops can take all your money and are under no obligation to prove you weren't going to use it to buy drugs, and you have zero chance of getting reimbursed no matter what. The upcoming president of the national sheriff's association wants fewer barriers to that.

So yeah, don't give that guy any credit for saying no to the president.

tbm24

Says a lot when a sherrif who presumably wants to be able to rob his own citizens was taken aback by Trump.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You left out the best part of the article:

Before the president arrived, Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway chatted with Eavenson and Sheriff Carolyn Welsh of Chester County, Pa. — the only female sheriff on hand and treasurer of the National Sheriff's Association.

After she chatted with Sheriff Richard Stanek of Hennepin County, Minn., the sheriff seemed unclear who she was.

And more alternative facts...

As he went around the room seeking input from each of about a dozen sheriffs, Trump asserted that the country's murder rate is the highest it's been in 45 to 47 years. (This is a debunked claim based on faulty math. Nationally, the annual murder rate jumped from 2014 to 2015 by the highest percentage since 1971, but the number of murders annually peaked in the early 1990s, and the per capita murder rate peaked in 1980.)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
"There's a state senator in Texas that was talking about legislation to require conviction before we could receive that forfeiture money," Eavenson told the president.

Fuck this shit. It's all about getting money before due process.

Aselith

Each state only has two senators. Wouldn't be hard to figure out who the "thorn" is. Or hell, just ruin them both. Two more jobs created by the jobs president.

Not the sheriff's fault though. Like if you complain about accounting in a meeting with your boss, it's because you want some help dealing with them not because you want accounting fired.

Zenner

Patryn

Each state only has two senators. Wouldn't be hard to figure out who the "thorn" is. Or hell, just ruin them both. Two more jobs created by the jobs president.

State senator, not US Senator.

There are 31 Texas State Senators.

SerTapTap

This shitstain needs to be impeached, about 3 weeks ago.

This is no more a joke than the muslim ban was a joke.

Maybe this'll get some more Rs to turn against him? I imagine the Texas state senate is red as fuck and not happy about this.

Apathy

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24029-1405438817-20.gif

WTF.

SerTapTap

Every time Trump does something, I think, "Would Obama have gotten away with that?"

The answer is always no.

Obama: *is an American citizen*

Half of Republicans: "You're not getting away with that, Kenyan Mooslim space alien bee monarch"

But the moderates keep telling me he isn't a fascist.

I no longer believe anyone who says they're moderates on anything RE: trump. There are only people who are afraid to say they're pro trump, or who think they'll win arguments by not admitting they're pro trip.

- J - D -

We have a President in office who says this.

WE HAVE A PRESIDENT IN OFFICE WHO SAYS THIS.

It's fucking bonkers I can't

FStubbs

This shitstain needs to be impeached, about 3 weeks ago.

This is no more a joke than the muslim ban was a joke.

Maybe this'll get some more Rs to turn against him? I imagine the Texas state senate is red as fuck and not happy about this.

They'll love him even more.

SerTapTap

I just googled around and there is proposed legislation to abolish civil asset forfeiture here in Texas, and was proposed by a Republican Senator. I guess that's what sheriff shithead is talking about

http://www.freedomworks.org/content/support-civil-asset-forfeiture-reform-texas-sb-380

The sad thing is this legislation should be entirely unnecessary as anything in violation of it should be in violation of Unreasonable Search and Seizure.

But since when does Trump know what's in the constitution? At least the courts seem to be not humoring his bullshit.

calder

Trump: "I want to hear his name. We'll destroy his career"

Flunkies: *hesitant fake laughter*

Trump, after a few seconds pass: *Huh I wasn't joking, but if they're laughing I better smile like I was*

I just googled around and there is proposed legislation to abolish civil asset forfeiture here in Texas, and was proposed by a Republican Senator. I guess that's what sheriff shithead is talking about

http://www.freedomworks.org/content/support-civil-asset-forfeiture-reform-texas-sb-380

Yes, it is thought the sherif was talking about burton, though he did use the pronoun he, so it is a bit curious. Burton is very popular, and a neighbor to the sheriff, so he has really screwed himself here. She herself is a nut on every other issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom