• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump picking staunch opponents of net neutrality to oversee FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Tell me about how you couldn't stomach to vote for her again.

it doersnt matter, i have argued with republican friends and family about net neutrality for years. Essentially it boils down to they view it as government regulation which equals bad.

Mortemis

Banned
Reddit is text, no matter what happens with net neutrality they have nothing to worry about.

YouTube, Netflix, HBO, and other video sites are the only ones this might affect and in the end, it's probably not going to be a big deal (just like how we didn't have net neutrality enforced by the government for many years and everyone survived)

Never count out the creativity of ISPs in ways to fuck customers.

Alas, I'm just being hyperbolic to make my point, but still it won't be pretty.

slit

Man, what a shitstorm this is going to be. I mean not just this but the whole package. Rust Belt fuckups that voted for this should be have their head examined. ! I live in the Rust Belt, there are assholes everywhere!

Without net neutrality the rise of the alt right is in jeopardy. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

It will be interesting to see which websites get throttled and which don't.

Reddit is text, no matter what happens with net neutrality they have nothing to worry about.

YouTube, Netflix, HBO, and other video sites are the only ones this might affect and in the end, it's probably not going to be a big deal (just like how we didn't have net neutrality enforced by the government for many years and everyone survived)

You do realize that ISP are going to only sell bundles now that include access to 5 to 10 sites? Good luck getting access to the whole internet without paying an arm and a leg.

The Alt-Right don't give a damn about Net Neutrality anymore. The fact that the real world has become such a fertile ground for the seeds of hate basically renders the internet obsolete.

If you sometimes use a torrent client, prepare for some drastic speed degradation, and a premium option to return to what you have now.
And that's only one example among many things they could use to make you pay more. They could blackmail Steam by threatening to reduce the download speed for Valve's customers. Or they could increase your ping for games and propose you another premium for it.

And since your choice of ISP is very limited, they could easily get away with it for a lot of customers. All they'd have to do is collusion between, say, Verizon and Comcast, and you'd have no choice but to accept the limitations or pay more.

Give four years to these republicans, and they'll set your economy back to 2008, and make you lose three decades of social progress...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
it doersnt matter, i have argued with republican friends and family about net neutrality for years. Essentially it boils down to they view it as government regulation which equals bad.

That's just a horrible line of thought.

Government regulation is not all evil.
It's the reason we don't use lead paint or producs anymore.

rpmurphy

The Alt-Right don't give a damn about Net Neutrality anymore. The fact that the real world has become such a fertile ground for the seeds of hate basically renders the internet obsolete.
Alt-right establishment pretty much only needs sites like Facebook as their vehicle anyway, so yeah.

jett

D-Member
There is only one solution, obviously.

giphy.gif

Mii

Banned
At least if Facebook costs more per click, maybe this will inadvertently kill off most Trump voters' access to fake news? Corporate backdoor to saving the country from itself?

Zaph

Republican/lobbyist greed is so short-sighted, they forget net neutrality helped America lead the startup revolution - the whole world is jealous of your tech sector (even if it is a current taxation nightmare).

These people don't care about things that could secure the country's next few decades (probably because they'll be dead), but if could improve next quarter's projections? Sign them up!

You do realize that ISP are going to only sell bundles now that include access to 5 to 10 sites? Good luck getting access to the whole internet without paying an arm and a leg.
I highly doubt it. There were no net neutrality rules under Clinton and GWB and that didn't happen.

Net neutrality is largely a solution looking for a problem, outside of mobile networks where the FCC hasn't applied it anyway. TMobile violates net neutrality principles constantly with zero rating and their customers love them for it.

It matters every time. This is their battle strategy. Keep pushing until we become apathetic and let it slide, then it sets precedent for more to keep sliding.

Well, what recourse do we actually have to stop it? Couldn't they just do this and ignore any feedback?

I realize the EFF could bring suit but I could imagine a scenario where they would do what the industry wants and not worry about public outcry.

Zaph

I highly doubt it. There were no net neutrality rules under Clinton and GWB and that didn't happen.

Net neutrality is largely a solution looking for a problem, outside of mobile networks where the FCC hasn't applied it anyway. TMobile violates net neutrality principles constantly with zero rating and their customers love them for it.

Are you seriously comparing 1993-2009 internet to today's?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
On the plus side, America is about to become a cautionary tale for other nations currently working on their net neutrality laws.

At least if Facebook costs more per click, maybe this will inadvertently kill off most Trump voters' access to fake news? Corporate backdoor to saving the country from itself?

Facebook would likely be the least affected by the dismantling of net neutrality.

Imagine tiers ("choices") of internet access:

- Baskets of the most popular social media and news hubs for less than you pay now

- added video / audio streaming services for somewhat more than you pay now

- full internet access for considerably more than you pay now

Eidan

So many people are about to discover why "both sides are the same" lamenters deserve open and frequent mocking.

Jotaka

Your friends should go read about monopoly and oligopoly...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this is great, i was just thinking the other day how much i wanted to pay a couple hundred dollars a more a month to my isps

i should buy oil & telecom stocks to hedge my life

G.ZZZ

Can't tech giants fight it? I'm pretty sure they're richer than ISP companies. A big reason we're in this shit is because of the attitude toward lying and racism from the silicon valley CEOs. Are rich people really not going to do anything? I had hope they could realize the implications of choices like this and the climate denying from the US, after all they have to live on this world as well, or maybe they'll leave to Mars.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Nice. This should make Comcast and Verizon a lot of money, which I assume they will use to make their services faster than ever before. Plus, even better customer service and ultra-modern equipment for everyone.

alternade

EL OH FUCKING EL

Who couldn't see this coming? Dumbass "REAL" America has fucked one of the biggest resources in our modern society. At this point,let it all burn down and have his supporters choke on the ashes. They deserve to go down just as hard with the ship

lmao

wonder if the_d and 4chan will care

Emailssssss

In my casual, anecdotal experience, 4chan as a whole leans toward "they're both shit". /pol/ has become an inescapable tar pit of manchildren plugging their ears and shouting "SHILLLLLS" at the top of their lungs - there is zero room for anyone that isn't a Trump worshiper there.

I'M SORRY VALUED CUSTOMER, BUT THE WEBSITE

reddit.com

IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE. WE RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO THE NEW
INTERNET PLUS PLAN FOR MORE OPTIONS* OR, IF YOU'D LIKE TO SAVE, SWITCH
TO THE NEW "FACEBOOK BASIC" INTERNET PLAN.

THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

*OFFER COSTS AND ADDITIONAL $29.99 A MONTH FOR FIRST SIX MONTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom