• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to configure my router... need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilch

Banned
Well for a while I've been unable to Direct Connect to people or send/receive files on AIM. I thought that it was just an isolated problem at first, but now I'm sure it's my computer (or more accurately, my router).

We have 3 desktops and a laptop on our LAN, and my computer is just one of the machines connected to it -- in other words, it's not the server.

I don't know much about networking, but today I've been trying to manually set up Port Forwarding for AIM which I guess uses port 5190. However, I'm not sure what to put as the Server IP Address. Is it the IP of the computer the router is next to/set up at? And will this even solve my problem?

Is there any advice you guys can give me on configuring my router so I can use AIM normally, or any help in generally on this problem?

Thanks, and I'll gladly post further info on my setup if need be.

You need to forward the port for whatever ip the router has assigned to your pc. so if you have 3 pcs it's probably something like this..

Say your pc is 192.168.1.2. Then forward port 5190-5190 on that ip. You can see what pcs are assigned which ips if you go to the DHCP Table in your router setup.

Manders

Banned
call your internet provider to get a static ip. it costs like $5 extra a month, at least with my provider.

Manders said:
call your internet provider to get a static ip. it costs like $5 extra a month, at least with my provider.

That's not what he meant.

To set up a static IP go into control panel, and bring up network connections. You should see something like local area connection. Right click on that and select properties. Scroll down until you find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on properties, and then fill in the information rather than having it automatically find it.

Make sure you tell your router to stop assigning you an IP. There should be something about a DHCP, disable that. It would help if you told us what router you are using.

gamepro said:
Make sure you tell your router to stop assigning you an IP. There should be something about a DHCP, disable that. It would help if you told us what router you are using.

It doesn't matter if it's enabled or disable. If you have a static IP set on your computer, it won't assign you a new one. DHCP only assigns one when a request is sent. I have a static IP on my machine, but have DHCP on in case I need to add hardware really quick to the network.

Zilch

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
That's not what he meant.

To set up a static IP go into control panel, and bring up network connections. You should see something like local area connection. Right click on that and select properties. Scroll down until you find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on properties, and then fill in the information rather than having it automatically find it.

Alright, I can do that, but I'm still not sure WHAT my computer's IP address is -- where do I find it? I remember in Win98 you could right click My Computer to find your comp's IP, but it doesn't work like that in WinXP. Also, I tried to find it using one of those website's that has a script that displays your IP (like http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo) but it says that if I'm behind a router it won't display the right IP. Also, I'm not sure what to put for 'Subnet mask' and 'Default gateway'.

My router is a Netgear RP614v2.

If you're defining it, it doesn't matter what it currently is. You can just set it to whatever you want as long as it's within the given range. If you want to see what your IP is currently at though, you can pull up a command prompt, and type ipconfig at the prompt which should tell you your current ip.

SKluck

Banned
I have my router give my computers and xbox a static IP based on MAC addresses... I like that better than editing windows settings....It is easier too, but both work.

In your router there should be options for static or dynamic DHCP. Just click static, and put in the MAC address of your network card, the IP you want, and you should be good.

tenchir

To find out what IP address your router gives you, there are about 3 ways to find out.

1) Go to command prompt and type "ipconfig", you will see your IP address.

2) Click on your network ICON in your system tray(your bottom right hand corner) and click on the Support Tab, you will see your IP address.

3) Go into your router(all router should be able to be access via web broswer) and look for DHCP table, you should see the list of IP addresses and computers the router gives the addresses to.

Linksys router's default is usually 192.168.0.x
DLink router's default is usually 192.168.1.x
Belkin router's default is usually 192.168.2.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom