• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tumble |OT|

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
tumblelogo.png

Available Now on the PS Store
Price: $9.99 (demo available)
Local Multiplayer Co-Op/Competitive
Move Required/3D Supported

Welcome to the world of Tumble; a 3D puzzle/brain teaser for 1 – 2 players. Grab your PlayStation®Move motion controller and get ready to test your mental and physical agility as you build, balance, solve & destroy your way through a vast array of challenges. Whether playing single-player, collaboratively or competitively in multiplayer, Tumble will challenge you, entertain you, and keep you coming back for more.

Key features:

* Intuitive game play: Use the PlayStation®Move motion controller to accurately and precisely place objects as you virtually reach into the screen.
* Build, Balance, Solve & Destroy: Test your mettle and earn Medals in over 50 challenges in single-player or co-operative and competitive multiplayer modes.
* Real-world physics: Objects act like their real-life counterparts giving you an extra layer of challenge.
* Tumble offers full support for 3D capable TV’s.

npua-38047-ss6.jpg

npua-38047-ss2.jpg

npua-38047-ss3.jpg

npua-38047-ss5.jpg

npua-38047-ss1.jpg

Metacritic Reviews (aka IGN are morans)

Official Trailer

This is, so far, my favorite Move game (right next to Sports Champions). While the head to head multiplayer is simply OK (imo), the co-op multi is a ton of fun, as is the single player. Such a fun little game, and I hope they support it with some DLC. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So is it sort of like a high tech version of Boom Blox? Looks cool, when I get a Move I'll probably get this right away.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Snuggler said:
So is it sort of like a high tech version of Boom Blox? Looks cool, when I get a Move I'll probably get this right away.
It's actually nothing like Boom Blox, and in a way is probably the least enjoyable when it goes for the explode-those-blocks levels (which are fairly uncommon anyways).

Its a lot like Jenga really.

teiresias

This game is surprisingly awesome in multiplayer. My boyfriend and I played for about 45 minutes on one game. It's exceedingly fun and the amount of stuff you can do physics-wise to try and sabotage your opponent is great, but then you also have to take into account how it will affect you on your next turn as well.

Someone said you could use two Move controllers in single-player? How does that work, I didn't even think to try that.

IGN is right about one thing in their review though:
IGN said:
As soon as one player places their block, the game switches turns without waiting to see if the tower is going to fall or if there will be a chain reaction. So the first thing that happens on the next player's turn is a massive point loss from the falling blocks causing them to instantly lose the match. What the hell, Tumble?

This happened to me, my boyfriend made a play, but then the actual fall didn't happen until a few seconds later, but the game had already moved on to my turn and I was hit with the point penalty for the entire tower having come down - even though I hadn't even picked up any of the blocks off the side of the screen yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chubigans said:
It's actually nothing like Boom Blox, and in a way is probably the least enjoyable when it goes for the explode-those-blocks levels (which are fairly uncommon anyways).

Its a lot like Jenga really.
The amount of precision you have with the blocks is pretty surprising. The story about surgeons wanting Move to practice surgery doesn't seem so far fetched now.

Torrod

Neo Member
teiresias said:
Someone said you could use two Move controllers in single-player? How does that work, I didn't even think to try that.

Its like having, well, two hands at the same time.

teiresias

Torrod said:
Its like having, well, two hands at the same time.

So you can pick up two blocks at once (so the same functionality is duplicated across controllers) or is like the camera reserved for one controller and picking up and placement reserved to another?

Got 100% trophies on the game today. It's really fantastic. The levels are never so hard that they piss you off, but they're challenging enough. Definitely one of the best Move games available right now. Everyone with a Move should buy this game RIGHT NOW.

Torrod

Neo Member
teiresias said:
So you can pick up two blocks at once (so the same functionality is duplicated across controllers) or is like the camera reserved for one controller and picking up and placement reserved to another?

No its two controllers appearing on the screen und you can grab blocks with both of them and use two pieces at one time. But its not really a great thing. You have to think twice as hard :D

Shurs

I can't wait to get back into this game. Tumble, along with Sports Champions and Flight Control HD, are my favorite Move games so far. I'm doing a data transfer from my freshly YLOD-fixed Phat to my new Slim. I'm going to put a lot of time into my Move games over the weekend.

distrbnce

Banned
I love the laser levels... but they really make me want Enigmo 2 on Move :O

Wish there were more of them though.

One Second Wish: Custom Soundtrack

EDIT: Realized I suck at math

Flek

Banned
they really need to add custom sountrack, but beside this tumble is prety mouch amaizing. I love how mouch value you get for your money with tumble :) Like you guys already said, besides sc this is the best move game out now.

Crisis

Banned
This was the first actual PS Move game that I tried, and it turned out to be an incredible introduction to it. It doesn't have very good presentation, even for a $10 game. But what it does deliver is brain-busting challenge and the PS Move can be your greatest asset when you think your movements through, or your greatest enemy if you get sloppy with it. Definitely worth $10 and I wouldn't mind more content being made available for it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The demo almost sold me the game, you just had to create an OT... and voila, downloading it right now (1,6go).

Amir0x

Banned
I purchased Tumble with real money because it reminded me of Boom Blox, still the single greatest use of motion controls of any title out there and the only Wii motion game I can think of that's a genuine proof-of-concept, that shows that there are games that are worth utilizing with this sort of technology.

Tumble is not much like Boom Blox in the end, but it is an interesting game. I do like it enough, it's really got that addictive keep-trying-again-to-get-the-gold quality.

It's way better than that Sports Champion crap imo.

Amir0x

Banned
distrbnce said:
I would think it must trigger -some- kind of self-reflection to be the only person that rates a puzzle game so lowly.

That's the wrong thing to get from that. First of all, it implies that everyone must be a fucking sheep and agree on a game's merits or else. Second, we need far more dissenting voices among the retarded failed game "journalists" out there who are so far removed from anything approaching quality game criticism that they would not know it if it came and unzipped their pants and sucked them off.

What you should be pointing out is if the review contains no good criticisms at all, if there are factual inaccuracies, if the reviewer in question clearly missed the point of a title. Not if they should do some soul searching because everyone's jerking themselves off over a title. How retarded.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Amir0x said:
I purchased Tumble with real money because it reminded me of Boom Blox, still the single greatest use of motion controls of any title out there and the only Wii motion game I can think of that's a genuine proof-of-concept, that shows that there are games that are worth utilizing with this sort of technology.

Tumble is not much like Boom Blox in the end, but it is an interesting game. I do like it enough, it's really got that addictive keep-trying-again-to-get-the-gold quality.

It's way better than that Sports Champion crap imo.
I think BB would have greatly benefited from motion plus support, especially for the block pulling events.

thcsquad

Amir0x said:
That's the wrong thing to get from that. First of all, it implies that everyone must be a fucking sheep and agree on a game's merits or else. Second, we need far more dissenting voices among the retarded failed game "journalists" out there who are so far removed from anything approaching quality game criticism that they would not know it if it came and unzipped their pants and sucked them off.

What you should be pointing out is if the review contains no good criticisms at all, if there are factual inaccuracies, if the reviewer in question clearly missed the point of a title. Not if they should do some soul searching because everyone's jerking themselves off over a title. How retarded.

Your comment would make more sense if it was about a hyped AAA action title, not a $10 quirky puzzle game. This guy isn't the lone 'journalist' defying the sea of sheep who were flown to a comfy hotel and buttered up for the reviewing session. I don't think we have to worry about Tumble getting any paid-off reviews.
Not saying his review wasn't honest, but it just sounds like he doesn't like puzzle games and I wouldn't trust his opinion on one.

edit: Also, his staff picture isn't doing him any favors.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I never understood the appeal of Boom Blox, resold it after 2 days. Tumble got me hooked from the very first minute. But hey Amir0x, at least we have Little Wing in common :)

distrbnce

Banned
Amir0x said:

Yeah, I was more just saying that's how I would feel if I put out the one bad review of a game meant to test your dexterity/spatial reasoning. I don't care much about reviewers or their reviews beyond that curiosity.

A.R.K

I have played the demo and when it works it works really great. I really want to buy it but I have constant calibration problems, specially when I play seated. Is the full version better than the demo in regard to calibration or is it the same? How do you play it (distance from cam, standing/sitting)?

distrbnce

Banned
A.R.K said:
I have played the demo and when it works it works really great. I really want to buy it but I have constant calibration problems, specially when I play seated. Is the full version better than the demo in regard to calibration or is it the same? How do you play it (distance from cam, standing/sitting)?

Hm, just make sure the camera has a good view of you in the XMB accessory menu and you should be fine. My whole couch is covered, even laying down isn't a problem.

Or do you mean hitting circle all the time?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
A.R.K said:
Ive had problems with the Move controller drifting all over the place like it's not acting how I want it to. I unplugged/replugged the Eye during play and haven't had a problem since.

Corto

This game is the perfect chill-out game after a frantic, sore inducing tournament of table tennis in Sport Champions. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
thcsquad said:
Your comment would make more sense if it was about a hyped AAA action title, not a $10 quirky puzzle game. This guy isn't the lone 'journalist' defying the sea of sheep who were flown to a comfy hotel and buttered up for the reviewing session. I don't think we have to worry about Tumble getting any paid-off reviews.
Not saying his review wasn't honest, but it just sounds like he doesn't like puzzle games and I wouldn't trust his opinion on one.

edit: Also, his staff picture isn't doing him any favors.

The comment applies from the most popular ten trillion copy sellers right down to the complete bomba ten copies sold its entire life videogames.

When you feel that someone who is expressing their personal opinion needs to "soul search" because he's not joining to collective blowjob fest, that's something wrong with you, not the reviewer.

If the review is terrible on its own merits, that is what you need to be calling out. Not advocating hivemind mentality.

wallbc01

Neo Member
Corto said:
This game is the perfect chill-out game after a frantic, sore inducing tournament of table tennis in Sport Champions. :lol

lol good. i better pick it up then because its a good thing the move is strapped to my arm or it potentially would have been thrown across the room in rage!!

Brannon

It's impossible to get angry with Tumble. TumBOS is too chill, and her influence rubs off on you.

Yes I named her TumBOS, wanna fight about it?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Amir0x said:
The comment applies from the most popular ten trillion copy sellers right down to the complete bomba ten copies sold its entire life videogames.

When you feel that someone who is expressing their personal opinion needs to "soul search" because he's not joining to collective blowjob fest, that's something wrong with you, not the reviewer.

If the review is terrible on its own merits, that is what you need to be calling out. Not advocating hivemind mentality.
This is kind of why I stopped reading reviews. The actual context of the review is ignored and the end result can be something completely random. Example: "this fps is the same old same old...9/10!" Or in the case of Kotaku/ other sites that lack a number: "...you should still check it out!" I sometimes wonder if reviewers look at the average score out there and throw a number/reaction in accordance to it - so as to not piss anyone off.

I haven't played Tumble yet but after reading that IGN review the score makes sense. The reviewer seems frustrated with the game's look, physics and a gamebreaking glitch in multiplayer.

jax (old)

Banned
gotta to say, I think Tumble on screens = wtf is this generic shit. But the actual game is fantastic. 3D space and how youinteract with it is very nice!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
+1 for the minimalistic OT title. I'm sick to death of all the "clever one liners" in the OT title. They are neither clever nor funny.
Hah, thanks...I'm starting to feel the same way with most titles too.

Except for the Civ 5 one, which is pretty clever.

I was a little underwhelmed by the demo (the exploding stuff was kind of boring), but this thread made me buy it anyway :D. I'll try it in the morning.

Is everyone constantly calibrating your move while playing or just me (pressing circle)?

teiresias

BomberMouse said:
I was a little underwhelmed by the demo (the exploding stuff was kind of boring), but this thread made me buy it anyway :D. I'll try it in the morning.

Is everyone constantly calibrating your move while playing or just me (pressing circle)?
I don't really consider the centering as calibration. It's meant to let you change the reference home position of the on screen controller if you change your seated position. If you don't move you shouldn't have to mess with it, but I tend to start leaning forward as I get more into it, so I need to recenter it to account for the fact the physical controller is now more forward than it was.

I've been meaning to ask, how is move? I saw it at Wal Mart when I picked up Bad Company 2. I was split between the move and BC2, but I ended up with BC2 because I remember my roommate's Wii being kinda boring. We mostly played Marvel Ultimate alliance.

Top Bottom