• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tumble |OT|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
teiresias said:
This happened to me, my boyfriend made a play, but then the actual fall didn't happen until a few seconds later, but the game had already moved on to my turn and I was hit with the point penalty for the entire tower having come down - even though I hadn't even picked up any of the blocks off the side of the screen yet.

Perhaps it's supposed to work like that? I mean, one player causes instability so that the tower falls on opponents' ass?

Haven't played two player much tho so I'm just asking.

Clemsontigers35 said:
I've been meaning to ask, how is move? I saw it at Wal Mart when I picked up Bad Company 2. I was split between the move and BC2, but I ended up with BC2 because I remember my roommate's Wii being kinda boring. We mostly played Marvel Ultimate alliance.

I think it's a fine addition for the PS3. Right now if you didn't care for wiisports or some party games, then it's not going to do much for you. The augmented reality in start the party is a lot of fun IMHO.

I'm not too picky and I love consolidation so having only one console plugged into my TV is a big plus for me.

I am not in a huge rush to get move, since it should pick up steam fairly quickly, but if they do a lot of Time Crisis type games, I'd be interested. I wanted to play the HOTD games for Wii, but I didn't want to buy a console soley for a light gun game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game is fantastic.

I was skeptical when almost the first thing the tutorial says is 'put the move through the hoop'. What, no spelling out how, or what buttons to press? I'm just supposed to do it?

Fuck me it just went through the hoop. Just like that. Its honestly one of the most natural things I've ever done in a game.

and in 3D its even better IMO. The whole game is about movement in 3D space, and the 3D implementation works to reinforce that beautifully. Its not in your face, it just works with the move to immerse you even more.

I think its the best use of move so far, and the best use of 3D so far (motorstorm is a very close 2nd though)

I have a couple of issues with it though. It doesn't explain the different medals, so its a bit trial and error to work them out. I didn't even know there were target medals until I hit one by accident. And whats a 'jigsaw' medal? Also, how are you doing getting the time medals? Time limit seems to go against what this game is, which is precision and planning. I've basically just ignored them as they seem a bit tight.

Nice to hear that you can use two moves. Although you can use them to pick up two blocks at the same time, I'd expect it'd be more useful to use one to tweak the camera while the other holds a block. But good that its flexible to whatever you want to do with it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So...what's the "target" medal on the first stage? I really hate it when games have objectives that are unknown.

IPoopStandingUp said:
So...what's the "target" medal on the first stage? I really hate it when games have objectives that are unknown.
The medal appears on the stage and you have to build a structure that touches it.

Loving the game, wish I had a good grasp of physics and/or construction :lol

Brannon

Best thing is when you can just jam shapes into crevices (and hope it won't split the load). Gotta use 'em all!

the demo is great, i think this is the best Move demo right now with Kung Fu Rider. though the tutorial speeches are needlessly long for such a simple game.

yes i am serious about Kung Fu Rider.

jiggles

Banned
Dual weilding in Tumble is Godly. Particularly for changing pieces that aren't at the very top. Lifting one piece with my left hand, moving the other one with my right, then putting the one on my left back on top just feels so... futuristic. Not through the actual actions I'm doing, but through the level of control I've got. Like the first time I pinched to zoom out on a multitouch screen, it's just the most natural thing in the world, and you don't even get what you're missing until you've tried it out.

And it's not even something the game suggests to you. I only picked up the second Move because I thought "it'd be cool if this worked". :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jigglywiggly said:
Dual weilding in Tumble is Godly. Particularly for changing pieces that aren't at the very top. Lifting one piece with my left hand, moving the other one with my right, then putting the one on my left back on top just feels so... futuristic. Not through the actual actions I'm doing, but through the level of control I've got. Like the first time I pinched to zoom out on a multitouch screen, it's just the most natural thing in the world, and you don't even get what you're missing until you've tried it out.

And it's not even something the game suggests to you. I only picked up the second Move because I thought "it'd be cool if this worked". :lol

how do you mean? For jiggling around blocks already in a tower? every time I try and do that the block snaps to my move, so the tower gets all fucked up. Is there a trick to being able to nudge/move a block already in a tower carefully?

I don't like those modes where you get three shapes to choose from a dispenser. You can't get a preview of the actual size or material, like you can when you point at a block on the floor. Are you allowed to put them on the floor after a bronze medal or does that still end the game? (don't know if it only ends if you put a block on the tower and it then falls)

oh, and I hate fucking eggs

jiggles

Banned
mrklaw said:
how do you mean? For jiggling around blocks already in a tower? every time I try and do that the block snaps to my move, so the tower gets all fucked up. Is there a trick to being able to nudge/move a block already in a tower carefully?
Well, obviously it's unwise to lift a block from the middle, because the thing will fall down. But if there's one near the top you want to move (with just one piece on top of it) you can do it without ever having to put the top piece down.

You can realign blocks further down the tower by lifting two other blocks and wedging at the corners, or from opposite sides to keep the structure sturdy.

Everything is just so damn convincing. One time I lost my temper at my tower falling and shouted "for fuck SAKE", throwing the two blocks I was holding to the floor. Then I smiled as I realised how instinctive the reaction was, and how the game reacted perfectly as the two blocks bounced about making an even bigger mess.

BeeDog

What's the trick to the mine stages? I can't for the life of me wrap my head around how the physics work when you try to blow up the towers.

cakefoo

BeeDog said:
What's the trick to the mine stages? I can't for the life of me wrap my head around how the physics work when you try to blow up the towers.
The mines aren't incredibly powerful, and the weight of any blocks on top of the ones you're trying to blow up is going to make it harder to dislodge them. Remember that the explosions happen in the sequence you placed the mines, so I think it's best to set the charges on vertically adjacent blocks and in order of the higher block first. For the homerun medals (hit the block with the baseball symbol out of the play area) I usually have to place a charge above to loosen, then one or two on the baseball block itself to send it flying, and hope for the best.

Also remember that all you really have to do in some cases for the main high-score medal is to get the tower to fall over and let the fall spread out the blocks naturally. You don't necessarily blow all the blocks away with the explosion itself.

Is there a summary of the bonus medal? They seem quite obscure so far :/, timed are quite obvious but the timer is somewhat hidden. And I got a homerun medal too but no luck so far with the target ones

anddo0

BomberMouse said:
Is there a summary of the bonus medal? They seem quite obscure so far :/, timed are quite obvious but the timer is somewhat hidden. And I got a homerun medal too but no luck so far with the target ones

That's one of my nitpicks as well. Some are too well hidden.

Also the announcing of bronze/silver medals during timed runs is very annoying. It really kills the momentum.

mrklaw said:
And whats a 'jigsaw' medal?

I found one, there are 3 pieces of wood with 1/3 of the tumble of logo each, you just have to align them to spell tumble and the medal will appear.

I can't beat the first bonus challenge :/

darkwing

jigglywiggly said:

you can use two Move controllers?? mind blown!!!

Bought the move starterpack on a whim just for this game. And I was not disappointed. The implementation of the move controller is not only very nicely done, the game stands on its own with engaging puzzle that never feel the same. I love solving a puzzle that looked seemingly impossible at the start.

After a while, the controller feels like an extension of my arm. Due to me moving around a bit, I frequently have to re-center the controller, but this never becomes a nuisance.

This game is the perfect showcase for the tech.

It's baffling that IGN gave this game a 3,5.

I posted this earlier in the Official Move thread, but I think this thread deserves to be bumped up, so here's my reaction to the game again:

I bought Tumble this weekend. What a great game! It's awesome you can play the main mode(s) in co-op too. Had a lot of fun playing this with my girlfriend. There were some tough challenges that had us scratching our heads, but the reward of being able to blow up new towers was worth it.

The real fun is this game however, is the versus mode. Just the basic one (haven't checked out all the other modes yet) is enough for a full evening of fun and laughter with friends.

Oni Jazar

Still going through the demo and I cannot get the two extra medals on the first destruction level (Duck and Cover)! What's the trick?

I know I need to get the "baseball" block into the home run field but can't get close and I can't hit the far target either. Gah!

Fox1304

MP is really an awesome experience, me & the wife are really loving it.
But the lack of custom soundtrack is really sad though ...

I hate those target medals btw.

I was planning to get the gold in a stage with a rotating platform. I kinda wanted to get the target medal too. But every time one block passed the target the block I had in my hand disappeared for as long as the counter ran. Getting the target medal also means you have to start from scratch to go any further. So if you reach the target by accident, you have no chance of reaching that gold or time limit.

I just love this game! Some of the puzzles are frickin genius! I just wrapped up Zone 5. The Glue Blocks, the Earthquake levels, the Light puzzles. So clever. Definitely the best Move game I have played so far.

Edit: OMG the "Russian Roulette" Tetris game! So damn fun! This game is brilliant

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
pretty sweet game

It's nice because it's a good way to test your Move, I was able to line up the first few towers so I feel good about it

I'd like a 2nd Move but this game tops boom blox or whatever for the bets motion block game, it's pretty fun

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Didn't even know Tumble had an OT. Seriously best game out of the whole Move/Kinect launch era. Perfect for playing with the wife as well. Insane value at $10.

jax (old)

Banned
worldrevolution said:
Didn't even know Tumble had an OT. Seriously best game out of the whole Move/Kinect launch era. Perfect for playing with the wife as well. Insane value at $10.

This and RR7 makes me want a 3D tv.

snap0212

I've bought the game right when it came out, played it for about 30 minutes, but have never touched it since. It's a shame, because I really liked what I played, but I just never find myself in the mood to play it again. Maybe it's time to give it another try. :)

ChryZ

snap0212 said:
I've bought the game right when it came out, played it for about 30 minutes, but have never touched it since. It's a shame, because I really liked what I played, but I just never find myself in the mood to play it again. Maybe it's time to give it another try. :)
Give it another try. They keep adding new elements to the gameplay. The more I played the game the more I've enjoyed it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, this is easily the best Move game. It's super intense when you're topping off a stack with one more block for the gold, and the tower teeters as time counts down. The controls are so damn accurate too, it feels like it's doing exactly what I want. I have a feeling that a lot of the most inventive and cool Move titles will come through PSN.

very nice, highly recommend this one

Is there any DLC for it?

patsu

Yap, Tumble, Beat Sketcher, Sports Champions, ProStroke Golf, and EyePet (only sketch recognition part) are my favorite Move elements. They are all very accurate. I would like to try Flight Control but it's not available in US.

kn4rf

Played the Tumble demo for like 4 hours last night totally losing myself in it.
Glad I picked this one up after trying the demo because the game-play videos made it look boring which tumble is anything but.

distrbnce

Banned
[Thread Resurrection]

So... how come there is no DLC for this yet? There's a store built into the game, but no word on anything ever coming out. Did it not sell well enough?

I'd LOVE some more laser levels!

Top Bottom