• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqorgar

Banned
I've been watching the second season of Breaking Bad, almost done with it, and...I just don't enjoy it that much. Cranston is great and the premise of the show is so interesting on paper, but it's simply not doing it for me. For whatever reason I don't find a single character other than Walt at all interesting. Really doubt I'll watch much more. It's a bummer because I really wanted to like it and everyone I know is in love with it.
I'm in the same boat, sadly. I can see the quality and understand why people like it, but I have to force myself to watch the show - especially during the slow early episodes of each season. Basically, any time Walt isn't onscreen, the show suffers greatly. His stuff is so consistently excellent that it carries the show and keeps me watching, but I can't say that I like the show.

Messi

I'm in the same boat, sadly. I can see the quality and understand why people like it, but I have to force myself to watch the show - especially during the slow early episodes of each season. Basically, any time Walt isn't onscreen, the show suffers greatly. His stuff is so consistently excellent that it carries the show and keeps me watching, but I can't say that I like the show.

Had the same feeling until near the end of season 2 then it all clicked. I even like skylar now, kinda.

Season 2 ending spoilers *do not read either of these spoilers unless you have finished the seasons, I dont want to ruin anything on people*
Stay out of my territory :D, must have watched that scene 50 times

Season 3 ending spoilers
Holy shit at walt running over those 2 guys, I was watching the tv with my mouth wide open

Eagerly awaiting the season 4 Blu.

Boardwalk Empire set me down this road, so I'm now getting into watching TV shows. I'm mostly glad that some of these shows are done, because if I had to wait for episodes and seasons (like Boardwalk Empire season 2) I'd probably kill myself.

Watched so far...

Breaking Bad up to season 3 - amazing show with great dark comedy

Mad Men seaon 1 - Surprisingly I can't get into it. I'm all about the time period and business, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

The Wire - just started seaon 2. I finally understand what all the hype is about. Can't wait to get through it, but it might mess me up as far as other shows go.

What should I hit up next? I didn't hear the ending exactly, but I think I want to stay away from Lost.

- Sopranos
- Game of Thrones
- Dexter

dave is ok

aztek is ok
What should I hit up next? I didn't hear the ending exactly, but I think I want to stay away from Lost.

- Sopranos
- Game of Thrones
- Dexter
Sopranos is great. Falls off a little in the last season or two, but still very good.

Dexter isn't worth watching past season two.

Messi

Boardwalk Empire set me down this road, so I'm now getting into watching TV shows. I'm mostly glad that some of these shows are done, because if I had to wait for episodes and seasons (like Boardwalk Empire season 2) I'd probably kill myself.

Watched so far...

Breaking Bad up to season 3 - amazing show with great dark comedy

Mad Men seaon 1 - Surprisingly I can't get into it. I'm all about the time period and business, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

The Wire - just started seaon 2. I finally understand what all the hype is about. Can't wait to get through it, but it might mess me up as far as other shows go.

- Sopranos
- Game of Thrones
- Dexter

Sons of Anarchy.

Sopranos is great. Falls off a little in the last season or two, but still very good.

Dexter isn't worth watching past season two.

The john litgow season was amazing.

Like Nappuccino said: you missed some jokes. I didn't say you "probably" missed some jokes, but factually you missed some jokes. And let me correct that further: you missed a lot of jokes. The jokes that were explained outright were not inside jokes. Inside jokes are stuff like
all the buster's hand foreshadowing, the monopoly games

Those are inside jokes? Inside jokes are something only fans of a specific thing understand. Hidden, subtle stuff like that is something even fans could miss.

\

Yeah this is normal. I honestly didn't start to really enjoy the show until season 3. Season 3 and 4 are fantastic.

Definitely skip Dexter and Lost.

Check out Homeland, which recently wrapped it's excellent first season. Also, I recommend Treme, i personally find it more engaging that The Wire (the first two seasons at least) but it doesn't seem to be for everyone.

Into comedies?

sruckus

^ umm do not skip Dexter or Lost. Both are great dramas that can have you on the edge of your seat. Worth watching if you enjoy that type of thing.

^ umm do not skip Dexter or Lost. Both are great dramas that can have you on the edge of your seat. Worth watching if you enjoy that type of thing.

Dexter is skippable, arguably, after season 4 (some would argue with 2).

Lost is actually worth watching, a super strong beginning, but it becomes insane near the end.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

- Sopranos
- Game of Thrones
- Dexter

Justified. Season 1 starts out shaky, but the second half is quite good. Season 2 on the other hand, is AMAZING. Season 3 starts on the 17th, so you still have time to catch up.

big ander

There was one episode after the Blue Man Group thing with Tobias. Michael
Is talking to someone in the house and in the background you can see a blue handprint on the kitchen cabinet.
Blue handprints are all over during that storyline, yeah

Those are inside jokes? Inside jokes are something only fans of a specific thing understand. Hidden, subtle stuff like that is something even fans could miss.
Well fine, yeah. You complained about the jokes often being explained, I'm telling you that more often they are not, at all. Inside joke isn't precisely the right term, but that hidden subtle background humor is a large part of what makes people go insane over AD.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Blue handprints are all over during that storyline, yeah

Well fine, yeah. You complained about the jokes often being explained, I'm telling you that more often they are not, at all. Inside joke isn't precisely the right term, but that hidden subtle background humor is a large part of what makes people go insane over AD.
Callbacks

Yeah, I can complain, but it's still easily one of the funniest show I've ever seen. I'm not bitching about the flashbacks because they detracted from the joke or something, I'm bitching about it because that time could have been used for more of a new episode.

Also, it's amazing how much removing the laughtrack improves a sitcom. I love Community, Modern Family and now Arrested Development. Is there anything else that should be in that list?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Yeah, I can complain, but it's still easily one of the funniest show I've ever seen. I'm not bitching about the flashbacks because they detracted from the joke or something, I'm bitching about it because that time could have been used for more of a new episode.

Also, it's amazing how much removing the laughtrack improves a sitcom. I love Community, Modern Family and now Arrested Development. Is there anything else that should be in that list?

Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Raising Hope

Sqorgar

Banned

- Sopranos
- Game of Thrones
- Dexter
I'm glad I watched Lost, if only because everybody else did and there are references to it everywhere. It starts strong, slows down, picks up, slows down, picks up, then falls off a cliff. I think that if you watch it close together, rather than spread over seven years like most of us did, it might not be as excruciating. But yeah, the ending SUCKS.

For Game of Thrones, read the books. The show is good. The books are so, so much better.

Dexter is uneven. The first season (which follows the first book closely) is great. The fourth season is pretty darn good. The other seasons range from okay to terrible.

Sports Night. First season has a laugh track though.

Archer, Parks and Rec and Cougar Town are musts. Also give Happy Endings a shot, not one of my faves but a lot of people love it.

I don't think so, I have to like more than a couple of the characters to ever be on the edge of my seat. I just think there are plenty of better shows they could be watching, especially ones that aren't so wildly inconsistent in quality.

Thanks guys, I might as well give Lost a shot then, I'll keep my expectations in check.

That and The Sopranos will be next (I'm a mafia buff afterall)

sruckus

Okay guys I watched the first episode of season 3 of Misfits. I'm sorry, Roody doesn't hold a candle to Nathan. I am back to hating Robert Sheehan for leaving.

Also, to anyone seeing recommendations for Archer - definitely check it out. Hilarious show.

Just watched the first 3 episodes of Justified. It was a blast.

I hear season 2 is even better. I think that justifies buying the first blu-ray set tomorrow at lunch. Yeah I went there.

Currently Watching

House
Supernatural
Castle
Sherlock

Previously watched and enjoyed

Star Trek (TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY)
Star Wars Clone Wars S1-3
Game of Thrones
Spartacus (B&S/GotA)
Buffy
Angle
Chuck
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Firefly
Life on Mars
Ashes to Ashes
Numb3rs
Stargate (SG1/SGA/SGU)
Heroes
Fringe

Based on what iv watched what would you suggest gaf?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Currently Watching

Based on what iv watched what would you suggest gaf?

Misfits sounds like it would rock your shit. (I haven't seen it though)

Also, based on what I've heard, you might also like Grimm, Once Upon A Time, Vampire Diaries, and Alphas. I haven't seen any of them however, so I can't attest to their quality.

Also, maybe True Blood or The Walking Dead?

Just finished the entire Six Feet Under series.... Gotdamn, what a show. After most episodes, I was compelled to call my family, just to talk with them. Sure, some of the plots veer into unwanted territory, but it was refreshing to have characters that did not dramatically change- only in increments, only in degrees. Ruth and David really made the show, though.

Also, truly, that series finale.

I'd recommend it for people who love character dramas and serious explorations of life and various interpretations of its "meaning" .

So I'm just about done season 4 of Breaking Bad. Unbelievable. Season 1 started somewhat slow with the character development and such, but damn does it pick up! I got through seasons 3 and 4 in only a few days.

For other shows, here's what i'm thinking :

Justified
continuing Boardwalk Empire season 2 (after skipping season 1 due to boredom)
The Wire
Sopranos? (should i start at season 1?)
trying to continue Mad Men (got to ep. 6 of season 1 then skipped to season 2, and couldnt get past the first episode) when does it get awesome???
Homeland (at ep.3 and its ok)

any other recommendations?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So I'm just about done season 4 of Breaking Bad. Unbelievable. Season 1 started somewhat slow with the character development and such, but damn does it pick up! I got through seasons 3 and 4 in only a few days.

For other shows, here's what i'm thinking :

Justified
continuing Boardwalk Empire season 2 (after skipping season 1 due to boredom)
The Wire
Sopranos? (should i start at season 1?)
trying to continue Mad Men (got to ep. 6 of season 1 then skipped to season 2, and couldnt get past the first episode) when does it get awesome???
Homeland (at ep.3 and its ok)

any other recommendations?

Watch Justified. It starts out slow, but don't skip any of it.

Most people agree that Mad Men picks up with the 5th episode of season 1 so if you got to episode 6 and you still didn't like it, then it may not be for you.

I also wouldn't skip Boardwalk Empire season 1. Season 2 is only great because all of the stuff that season 1 built towards comes to fruition.

I don't believe in skipping episodes or seasons, especially with heavily serialized shows like the ones you listed.

Urgh I started watching Happy Endings again, why are the episodes aired out of order?
Season 1 Episode 10 and 11 are set really close to after the wedding while the episodes before were later on. This is really annoying.

Episode 11 aired as like episode 2 or 3 when I watched them on Aussie TV.

big ander

Urgh I started watching Happy Endings again, why are the episodes aired out of order?
Season 1 Episode 10 and 11 are set really close to after the wedding while the episodes before were later on. This is really annoying.

Episode 11 aired as like episode 2 or 3 when I watched them on Aussie TV.

abc fucked it up. Season 2's been fully in order and everything. And even better than season 1.

Bruiserk

I'm going through Justified right now. I was recommended it by a friend. Up to Season 1 episode 4.

I might start up the Wire after.

Started watching this show called 'The Event'. Its pretty decent, has its moments. Some nice effects for just a tv show.

I'm having massive Lost withdrawal though, damn i miss that show :( Nothing else like it. I'm hoping the new show 'Alcatraz' might fill the void, but i doubt it.

.GqueB.

Banned
Started watching this show called 'The Event'. Its pretty decent, has its moments. Some nice effects for just a tv show.

I'm having massive Lost withdrawal though, damn i miss that show :( Nothing else like it. I'm hoping the new show 'Alcatraz' might fill the void, but i doubt it.

Ive come to terms with the fact that nothing will fill the LOST void. There isnt any other show that I HAVE to catch every week. Even after I got dvr finally I wouldnt miss an episode. It just had me.

But as for the thread, Im currently watching Friday Night Lights. Amazing show that Im surprised I missed given the fact that I loved the movie. Still not sure why I chose to ignore it. Though part of me is glad I did since I can just watch the show back to back with no breaks.

Loved Season 1. Season 2 not so much as I didnt see the point of the first few episodes and the entire season overall was less about football and more about forced highschool drama.
Landry killing someone... really?
But season 3 is definitely back on track. Loving it.
I actually cheered when Smash got into college.

I watched all of Arrested Development for the first time in my life.

Guys...I don't know if you're aware of this, but that show is quite funny.

I have a rather huge problem with it though. For a show with "inside joke based humour" it suuure likes to constantly explain every single reference they make. There were only a few jokes that remained inside jokes and didn't get immediately followed by a narrated flashback.

I think at the time, the show was jumping around in time slot so much and they were worried about new viewers. So they had to do quite a bit of explaining because so many of the jokes had the potential of going over peoples heads. It was also annoying to people like you and I who watched the entire series at once since it felt like we were seeing the same explanation practically every half an hour as opposed to every other week or so.

Mustve heard what a "never nude" was about a million times.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I know a 2011 Shows thread was done and there was some talk of a refreshed Best Shows Ever thread. Is anyone planning to do it? Do others want a new one? I think it'd be nice to have a more current one. If nobody wants to do it I might be persuaded do it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know a 2011 Shows thread was done and there was some talk of a refreshed Best Shows Ever thread. Is anyone planning to do it? Do others want a new one? I think it'd be nice to have a more current one. If nobody wants to do it I might be persuaded do it.

I was going to do it later this year, but I may need some help! ;p

Jay Sosa

Watched quite a few season premieres so here we go..

ROB - I'm almost sure that A. GAF will hate this show and B. it will get canceled pretty soon. That said I loved the first episode. Lots of stuff you expect from Mr. Schneider if you've seen the Gigolo movies (which imho are funny as hell)..definitely will keep watching this. Not even the laugh track could make me not like this.

Todd Margaret - Daaaaamn, I already like the first season but the first episode of Season 2 was just sensational.

30 Rock - Funny as always, I just hope they cut back on all that relationship crap that kinda "ruined" the last season for me.

Hey it's snowing! Hell yeah.

Also back into watching OZ, currently on Season 4 and I completely forgot how depressing this show can be.
When Beachers (sp?) kids get kidnapped and they send the hand..daaaamn that's some heavy stuff

It's also amazing how many actors are in this that went on to star in other award winning shows..Batista, La Guerda, Tony Sopranos wife, lots of dudes from the Wire and so on. And they all do such a nice job that you completely forget that you know them from somewhere else.

Also tried to watch House of Lies but I had to stop when I saw Jean Ralphio..how am I supposed to take this serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom