• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin fires in San Gabriel mountains, evacuations in Azusa & Duarte

Status
Not open for further replies.
A heads up to my all the fellow North Los Angeles gaffers here. My cube mate received an evacuation order an hour ago in Duarte. The fires are moving fast.

If you live in or near the foothills, please be in the lookout.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-reservoir-fire-angeles-20160620-snap-story.html

canyon was separating two 1,000-acre fires burning in the San Gabriel Mountains Monday from merging into one massive blaze, fire officials said.

The two brush fires broke out in Azusa and Duarte amid a blistering heat wave and forced evacuations of homes in the area.

The first blaze, called the Reservoir fire, was reported about 11 a.m. at Highway 39 in the San Gabriel Mountains, said Andrew Mitchell, spokesman for the Angeles National Forest.

About 300 U.S. Forest Service crew members, along with Los Angeles County firefighters, were tackling the 1,200-acre blaze near Azusa. Water-dropping helicopters were aiding in the firefight.

Azusa police issued mandatory evacuation orders for residents who live in the community of Mountain Cove. U.S. Forest officials said San Gabriel Canyon was also being evacuated.

Stay safe fellow gaffers.

studyguy

Santa Barbara was on fire like... two days ago?
Literal tornado of fire out there.
Looks like September fires are here early in CA this time. Stay safe.

Kevtones

Over here in Eagle Rock and I don't think it'll get this far. Wonder if this will shut down hiking next weekend. Supposed to do a run up Baldy.

WOW.

I really really hope the fire doesn't go east! I hope it stops where it is! Please don't come to Glendora!

Edit:
Pic from my place around 8PM:
qgJdzfa.jpg

That fire, burning in the Angeles National Forest in steep terrain above Azusa, was holding at 1,500 acres and was 0 percent contained at 9 p.m.
The Fish Fire fire grew to 3,000 acres — at 0 percent containment — by about 9 p.m., according to a tweet from the Fire Department.

YIKES! Hope the firefighters can stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom