• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Kyle Machlachans grown as an actor over the years, huh.

Maybe because some people are holding off on eps 3 and 4 until next week, but I feel like there's been very little discussion of how well Kyle is pulling off
multiple characters so far. You've got real Coop in the Lodge, where a lot has to be communicated with very little; Bob/Doppelganger-Coop; real Coop back on Earth, but in a fugue state; then some shorter turns, like Dougie Jones or Bob robotically pretending to be the real Coop.
And it all works!

Well, except for maybe the wigs. :lol

At first I was like "Oh god , this is so drawn out and stupid" but it's sooo drawn out that it loops back in to being great and I was laughing so much.

Kyle, the gentleman that he is, will be responding "helllooooOOOOooo!" to people on Twitter for years to come.

Seriously, he's one of the nicest guys ever. I've tweeted at him a few times and he responded each time.

Me -

0759b2845a6f87fc3b58bca173d66900.gif

That was me after that glass booth attack, shit had me 0_o for the rest of the episode

Helllllllloooooooooooo

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It sucks that Netflix Brazil doesn't have the original show available, I've always wanted to get more people into it and now would be the perfect time.

They're also releasing the new season here as "season 1"... I can see quite a few confused viewers trying this for the first time thinking it's a new show.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe because some people are holding off on eps 3 and 4 until next week, but I feel like there's been very little discussion of how well Kyle is pulling off
multiple characters so far. You've got real Coop in the Lodge, where a lot has to be communicated with very little; Bob/Doppelganger-Coop; real Coop back on Earth, but in a fugue state; then some shorter turns, like Dougie Jones or Bob robotically pretending to be the real Coop.
And it all works!

Well, except for maybe the wigs. :lol
Lynch is doing for Kyle here what he did for Laura Dern in Inland Empire.

Fun fact, Ray Wise didn't know his character was the killer until they shot the reveal episode.

Also fun fact, Jack Nance didn't know the Tojamura character was Piper Laurie in makeup until he read the script for that episode. He had several scenes with her thinking she was just an asian male actor.

I absolutely refuse to believe that's true.

3rdman

It is. As I understand it, the idea that
Leland
was the killer was always in the minds of Frost and Lynch but never to be disclosed (perhaps at the end of its intended run?). Aside from them, Lynch's daughter knew because she was told for the purpose of writing the secret diary.

Ray Wise
was told soon after they gave into ABC's pressure to solve the mystery.

Leland
was the killer was always in the minds of Frost and Lynch but never to be disclosed (perhaps at the end of its intended run?). Aside from them, Lynch's daughter knew because she was told for the purpose of writing the secret diary.

Ray Wise

No need to spoiler tag Season 1, 2 or FWWM stuff in here. Just FYI.

It's true. They talked about this in the special features (Blu-ray collection) of Twin Peaks 1+2

edit: The first part at least. No idea about the second part (Tojamura)

Leland

Ray Wise

Sorry, I meant the Tojamura part of the post. Should have bolded it.

robotrock

Banned
Fun fact, Ray Wise didn't know his character was the killer until they shot the reveal episode.

Also fun fact, Jack Nance didn't know the Tojamura character was Piper Laurie in makeup until he read the script for that episode. He had several scenes with her thinking she was just an asian male actor.

I need more fun facts. So good

I need more fun facts. So good

My favorite fun fact is how Harry Goaz went back to driving limos after shooting the pilot, and found out it had been picked up for series after he picked up Philip Nevins at the airport, completely by coincidence, and Nevins told him, offering to drive the car himself.

Mauddib

Banned
Man I feel like a lot of people are misinterpreting a scene from episode 4.

When Bobby starts crying and the music hits, it's not really intended for the 'feels'. It's intended to show us how much television has changed since those days. You don't get characters break out crying for a long period with melodramatic music set in the background with several cuts away and back to the crying character. That whole Dawson's creek/soap opera style was intentionally jarring when Bobby started crying because of how different the entire show is now.

Granted I was high when I was watching it so maybe my perspective was a stoned perspective and not the actual intention of the writers. Need to watch it sober. But did anyone else feel like how I did?

I fucking love how surreal episode 4 was. It was like an entire piss take on audience expectations. Genius stuff.

As somebody who only ever watched Twin Peaks in binge marathons on Netflix, having to wait for more episodes is excruciating. This is not how I should have to live. They should have released them all. I understand what they're doing (getting people to talk in between episodes), but there ultimately isn't enough to talk about without being able to watch more episodes quickly for more insight.

Funny, saying there isn't enough to talk about and the thread has 3,500+ posts. I mean of course it's tough to wait for new episodes of a show this good, but if you enjoy discussing and analyzing TV shows at all, then surely you realize the Netflix 'dump it all ' strategy is absolutely TERRIBLE for that.

And if you don't care about that and just want to binge, then the strat was to start watching after the finale, whenever that is, in August or something. Any show can be binged.

That's one thing I don't get. Doop isn't Bob, but why did he have Bob's reflection?

He was checking on the doppelganger. That seems to be the easiest explanation. We see them as two separate things in the lodge... and Mr C doesn't act like Bob at all. They're both crazy cats, but they each have their own MO.

MODUS OPERANDI

Yes I know I already did that joke.

Plus you can look at Bob randomly showing up in the mirror in the pilot as evidence that he can manifest in mirrors even outside of the possessed person looking in the mirror thing.

Bob's inhabiting the doppelganger.

There is nothing in series three to suggest this yet.

Bob's inhabiting the doppelganger.
So the evil spirit is possessing an evil spirit?
He was checking on the doppelganger. That seems to be the easiest explanation. We see them as two separate things in the lodge... and Mr C doesn't act like Bob at all. They're both crazy cats, but they each have their own MO.

MODUS OPERANDI

Plus you can look at Bob randomly showing up in the mirror in the pilot as evidence that he can manifest in mirrors even outside of the possessed person looking in the mirror
This works for me.

Incredible. These are the funnest of fun facts.

robotrock

Banned

MODUS OPERANDI

Plus you can look at Bob randomly showing up in the mirror in the pilot as evidence that he can manifest in mirrors even outside of the possessed person looking in the mirror thing.

So if he isn't Bob, any idea on who he is?

Also the Harry Goaz thing is amazing

So if he isn't Bob, any idea on who he is?

Also the Harry Goaz thing is amazing

He's Coops doppelganger, who managed to escape in place of our dear Dale.

The arm, Leland and Laura were all shown to have them. Philip Jeffries believed Dale to be his doppelganger when he manifested in Philadelphia in February 88, and Coop seemingly had a premonition about seeing his doppelganger that day, judging from what happens with the CCTV camera.

3rdman

So the evil spirit is possessing an evil spirit?

This works for me.

I think of Mr. C and Leland
(and Dougie???)
as walking golems or husks...Bob chooses to go in and out of them at his leisure, I suppose. Nowhere except in our head cannon is bob confined to just one vessel...

However it does seem to be clear that the actual vessel needs to be at the lodge for all of this to work. Perhaps that explains
why Mr. C clearly acts differently and detached when he is talking to Gordon and Albert...As I read elsewhere, perhaps Dougie is a creation of Mr. C's (or Bob's???) to act as a surrogate in case the real Cooper manages to escape.

KTallguy

Banned
Can anyone tell me more about the Owl Ring? I'm confused on what it represents, why Keifer's character in FWWM found it and then disappeared, and what effect it has on BOB or any of the other Red Room characters.

Blader

You're triggering me by calling evil Coop bob.

That's not who he is. :/

Well, it's BOB in Coop's doppelganger. Jeffries, or the guy pretending to be Jeffries, wants the doppelganger to return to the lodge so he can be with BOB again, so clearly BOB is in that body too.

Can anyone tell me more about the Owl Ring? I'm confused on what it represents, why Keifer's character in FWWM found it and then disappeared, and what effect it has on BOB or any of the other Red Room characters.

No one really knows. I think the most common theory around its appearance in FWWM was that wearing it prevents BOB from possessing that person. But I don't know what that has to do with its usage here,
where it seemed to play a role in creating Dougie.

Snagret

It's true. They talked about this in the special features (Blu-ray collection) of Twin Peaks 1+2

edit: The first part at least. No idea about the second part (Tojamura)

Sorry, I meant the Tojamura part of the post. Should have bolded it.
Piper Laurie talked about it in her autobiography. According to her almost nobody on set knew it was her, although several were suspicious. Peggy Lipton (Norma) thought that it was Isabella Rossellini underneath the makeup.

Zousi

I'm just so happy that
Coop is out from that miserable place
. I bet that there were not even toilets available. Phew!

3rdman

It wasn't Keifer...it was Chris Isaak that found it. That is assuming that any of that actually happened. My preferred theory is that the first 30 min of FWWM is actually Coop's memories of his investigation of Teresa Bank's murder but that is for another place.

The Ring "seems" to protect the wearer from the residents of the Lodge. Teresa Banks wasn't wearing it when she was murdered. Leland was made to murder Laura because she put the ring on. She died but she didn't become a vessel for Bob so in some weird, crazy way, the end of FWWM is a happy ending. :p

The Ring also marks the wearer...I can only assume but I think that
Mr. C must have given the ring to Dougie...to mark him and take his place should Coop escape.

PolishQ

- Laura put it on and was shortly thereafter pulled into the Lodge.
- Chet Desmond touched it and was (presumably?) pulled into the Lodge.
- Teresa Banks wore it for a time but took it off prior to her death. She was not pulled into the Lodge, as far as we know.
- Dougie wore it and was pulled into the Lodge. I think his wearing the ring was what ensured he would be pulled in instead of Evil Coop.

I finally went ahead and watched the first episode last night and can't say I'm impressed and/or terribly interested in continuing but it showed enough promise and atmosphere to keep going, so let's see.

My main issue so far are the visuals. It's not really the show's fault, but I just don't like the HD digital look combined with the Sci-Fi channel style special effects. I think that's where nostalgia is a bit hard to override for me. Lynch 'surreal acting' + ultra-crisp resolution makes me feel like I'm in the room for an awkward audition or play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom