• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twinsen's Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 remasters announced

iorek21

Twinsen_remaster.png

Twinsen’s Little Big Adventure 1&2 Remastered are underway! A demo of Twinsen’s Little Big Adventure 1 Remastered will be available during the next Steam Neo Fest, from June 19th to 26th 2023.

Each game will benefit from a graphical and technical overhaul with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 5. This means that we will faithfully rebuild both games from scratch. In order to improve the experience, we will also rework Twinsen's controls and adding new features. The option to use the original game controls will of course remain available for those who wish to play as in the original games. This work will also be the occasion to remaster the original music of the composer Philippe Vachey, to guarantee you the best possible experience.

https://twinsenslittlebigadventure.com/twinsens-little-big-adventure-remastered/

Steam pages are up:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic
Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation
Excited Ultimate Warrior GIF by WWE

Hell Yeah Dancing GIF by collin
Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T
Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office
Jim Carrey Yes GIF
shaquille-o-neal-oh-surprised-6fhjrw1993xpmlhm.webp

I'm not sure if you can't tell but I'm unncessarily excited about this, I LOVE LBA 2 so much and I had never played LBA 1 and was about to play the mordernised version very soon but I've deleted it and will wait for this now!

Last edited:

Denton

Blast from the past, I remember reading about these games in local gaming magazines in like 1995, screenshots always looked nice but I never played them (although I did buy them on GOG at some point). With controller support I might actually finally play these.

I was just thinking the other day whether remakes for these games would ever come! So happy with this news. 2 of my most fondly remembered games.

asker

I bought this not that long ago, such beautiful music, both original form and new orchestral version supervised by the artist:

I7Qv1NP.jpg
r9ZClvX.jpg
3PZsoMP.jpg

Pajamas Doxxed!
I'm a bit disappointed in the orchestral rendition of the main theme. It's like he did his utmost to not stick to the motifs of the original for more than a few seconds at a time. The amazing and nostalgic notes from the intro can just barely be heard at the end of this version.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Bump, there's a new demo out for the remake.

Gave it a whirl, it's pretty good! It seems like they've rewritten the script and fleshed it out a little, and the new voice acting is much better (the original's VA was unbearable). The controls are a lot better, with all of your abilities accessible at once without the need to switch modes. The whole game feels pacier and more fluid, even though the basic scenario and level design is pretty much identical.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

And the voice acting is ultra cringe.
I encourage you to replay the original sometime and then tell me about cringe. I had to set the language to French just to get through the game back in the day, and the French voices weren't great either.

I think the voices are massively improved and actually pretty decent for a low budget game with full VA.

Not that it was great in the original, but yeah. Animations also look really bad. Overall, this just looks amateurish. This series deserves better.
It's an indie game with a team of like 10 people. Set expectations accordingly. We'd all love it if this got a AAA remake but let's just be glad they're getting it done.

Playing the demo it definitely feels like a big improvement/refinement on the original. The art style is probably the biggest weak point, but if we have to be honest art style was also not the game's strong suit.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I encourage you to replay the original sometime and then tell me about cringe. I had to set the language to French just to get through the game back in the day, and the French voices weren't great either.

I think the voices are massively improved and actually pretty decent for a low budget game with full VA.

It's an indie game with a team of like 10 people. Set expectations accordingly.

Playing the demo it definitely feels like a big improvement/refinement on the original. The art style is probably the biggest weak point, but if we have to be honest art style was also not the game's strong suit.

Yeah, it's just that this is one of my most cherished childhood franchises. It's very special to me, so I really want this to be good, but right now I'm not sure it's gonna be worth $40 over just replaying the original.

SF Kosmo

Loved LBA2. Werent there plans for a third part.
Yeah as well as a spiritual sequel called Trium Planeta or something like that, and a reboot. All of them collapsed before getting to fill development.

So yeah, I am happy to see this remake come to fruition, even if it is less ambitious in scope, it feels like a nice improvement on the original that fixes some of the biggest issues.

Yeah, it's just that this is one of my most cherished childhood franchises. It's very special to me, so I really want this to be good, but right now I'm not sure it's gonna be worth $40 over just replaying the original.
Based on the demo it's much more playable than the original just on the controls and mechanics alone.

But beyond that, this is the chance to vote with your dollars. They wanted to make an all new game, but that was the compromise because they lost funding. If it does well, someone might actually back a sequel.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah as well as a spiritual sequel called Trium Planeta or something like that, and a reboot. All of them collapsed before getting to fill development.

So yeah, I am happy to see this remake come to fruition, even if it is less ambitious in scope, it feels like a nice improvement on the original that fixes some of the biggest issues.

Based on the demo it's much more playable than the original just on the controls and mechanics alone.

But beyond that, this is the chance to vote with your dollars. They wanted to make an all new game, but that was the compromise because they lost funding. If it does well, someone might actually back a sequel.

Yeah, but if it's not good I don't want to vote with my wallet, lol. Then the sequel or reboot or wherever is better off not getting made.

ShadowNate

I do like the new art, and the controls feel better once you get used to them (pending seeing how they would work on the most challenging areas of the game). The demo did not have the sneaking / stealth mode, which was confusing because clearly on one occasion it seems to expect you to make use of it (although you can just use normal walk and that would work too, albeit counter-intuitively). Maybe they'll add it in the final game?

They've made some changes in the story and characters. Not sure why. They probably thought they would introduce the lore more organically during the game... But I am not very fond of the replacement of Twinsen's wife (who is apparently also in the game but not seen during the demo) with his little sister (who came across as spoiled and annoying).

Anyway, the original is still available and fun -- well, when you're not stun locked into oblivion or missing jumps or misjudging throws or...

Shin-Ra

LBA was one of the earliest games I played on my first PC. One of those ribbed Packard Bell’s with the CRT attached side speakers, media stand and a shit load of bundled CDs.

I say ‘played’ but ‘struggled’ is more accurate. The new for me combination of ‘tank’ controls on a keyboard, mixed polygon/pre-rendered graphics and stance peculiarities made just getting out of the jail a task.

For some reason I was gifted LBA2 and got nowhere with that too. Still have some nostalgia for the games even though I didn’t play much of them. I can’t remember if there was a cheat code or title screen demo that shows later parts of the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do like the new art, and the controls feel better once you get used to them (pending seeing how they would work on the most challenging areas of the game). The demo did not have the sneaking / stealth mode, which was confusing because clearly on one occasion it seems to expect you to make use of it (although you can just use normal walk and that would work too, albeit counter-intuitively). Maybe they'll add it in the final game?

They've made some changes in the story and characters. Not sure why. They probably thought they would introduce the lore more organically during the game... But I am not very fond of the replacement of Twinsen's wife (who is apparently also in the game but not seen during the demo) with his little sister (who came across as spoiled and annoying).

Anyway, the original is still available and fun -- well, when you're not stun locked into oblivion or missing jumps or misjudging throws or...

Yeah, I don't know exactly why those changes were necessary. I guess to make Zoe a strong independent woman (seems like she's with the rebels now, perhaps even their leader) rather than just a damsel in distress. So instead the sister is now the one who needs saving, as I understand it. Which is fine, I just don't quite see why. But maybe it will make the overall plot more interesting, we'll see.

I'm also not sure why the change to Twinsen's skin color was necessary. Not that I care as such, it's just a change from the original that seems a bit random and pointless. I guess the answer is diversity, and yeah, the original didn't have much of that I suppose.

Last edited:

digdug2

LBA was one of the earliest games I played on my first PC. One of those ribbed Packard Bell’s with the CRT attached side speakers, media stand and a shit load of bundled CDs.

I say ‘played’ but ‘struggled’ is more accurate. The new for me combination of ‘tank’ controls on a keyboard, mixed polygon/pre-rendered graphics and stance peculiarities made just getting out of the jail a task.

For some reason I was gifted LBA2 and got nowhere with that too. Still have some nostalgia for the games even though I didn’t play much of them. I can’t remember if there was a cheat code or title screen demo that shows later parts of the game.
My first PC was a Packard Bell too. It was older though, a 386SX. I think it had a 20MB hard drive or something equally pathetic, but my dad upgraded it with a Sound Blaster card. It couldn't run Doom... I tried.

I remember seeing LBA in advertisements and just remembered how weird the game looked. I never played it, but I have some nostalgia for it also.

Shin-Ra

Elephants are diverse.

My first PC was a Packard Bell too. It was older though, a 386SX. I think it had a 20MB hard drive or something equally pathetic, but my dad upgraded it with a Sound Blaster card. It couldn't run Doom... I tried.

I remember seeing LBA in advertisements and just remembered how weird the game looked. I never played it, but I have some nostalgia for it also.
Yeah I missed out on the pre-Pentium PC era, jumping from Amiga to Mac to 133MHz Pentium PC and a rarely used Game Gear mixed in somewhere.

It was a long time before I got any good at action games and started finishing them consistently. Probably around Dreamcast time.

Last edited:

I think I got the demo from a demo disk in a PC Gamer magazine with Magic Carpet I believe (oh my how the mighty have fallen).

I agree it was tough to get the hang of, but seeing as I didn't have may other games I just kept playing it over again and fell in love with the characters and the style and especially the soundtrack.

Didn't end up finishing the original but then when LBA2 came out I played that through to completion and then started 1 again and played it through.

Always held out hope they'd release the third but it never came. Stoked that this remaster is coming out and I'll play day 1.

SF Kosmo

Yeah, I don't know exactly why those changes were necessary. I guess to make Zoe a strong independent woman (seems like she's with the rebels now, perhaps even their leader) rather than just a damsel in distress. So instead the sister is now the one who needs saving, as I understand it. Which is fine, I just don't quite see why. But maybe it will make the overall plot more interesting, we'll see.

I'm also not sure why the change to Twinsen's skin color was necessary. Not that I care as such, it's just a change from the original that seems a bit random and pointless. I guess the answer is diversity, and yeah, the original didn't have much of that I suppose.
At some point in the last 20 years games flipped from rescuing your girlfriend to rescuing a kid, so I don't know if it's less tropey but it is more modern at least haha

Hopefully they do use the opportunity to develop Zoe as a character more.

Top Bottom