• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Helscream

Banned
Let's help build a custom playlist, Gaffers

What's everyone's favorite song from the demo and what is your ideal custom playlist going to be? I know PS3 doesn't do custom music yet, but we can dream ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBtVQ0TxWA This song from the game, I love so much. Cruising down the road, and getting into the chaos with this blaring feels awesome. It just fits so perfectly. I feel like putting on my sunglasses whenever it comes up. Compton from NWA is also so badass. Oh, and Rob Zombie is a given.

Would love some custom suggestions, I don't normally listen to this kind of heavy music, but I am wanting to build an awesome set for Twisted Metal

I know I am putting in Superbeast my Rob Zombie for sure, perhaps the whole TM3 tracklist, but outside that I don't have a clue.

Well I think what was got to listen to in the Twisted Metal demo was pretty cool. I am more of a speed/thrash metal guy and felt that theme of music fits Twisted Metal well. But hearing stuff like "Straight Out of Compton" is cool as well, it fits the theme of Twisted Metal and does not feel out of place.

A few off the top of my head would be,

MetallicA
MegaDeth
Rage Against The Machine
Pantera
Judas Priest
Testament
Iron Maiden

Really just music that is fast and heavy and/or rebellious in nature. I think the thing that will scare most people is the heavy metal stuff. I can imagine some guy reviewing Twisted Metal "What is Metal? I thought they said this had Lady Gaga" or some dumb shit.

One thing I would like to comment on the possible turnout for the reviews of Twisted Metal is this. If Twisted Metal does well, it is because journalist take the time to soak in the depth and complexity of this game. They find themselves having a hard time putting down the controller because they are like "holy shit I didn't know you could that" type feeling. Like they get overwhelmed (in a good way) by how much shit you can do in Twisted Metal.

If Twisted Metal gets bad reviews its because we are in a generation of gamers who are too damn lazy and are just too damn casual to invest the time to understand the depth and complexity of this game. Meaning that the reason why shit like Call of Duty sells is because it is a extremely accessible game that takes zero effort or brain power to successful defeat another player. So many people just want the game to hand the victory to you without trying. And a game that lacks complexity/depth/elaborate challenges means it takes less effort from the casual gamer to win. I posted something to this similar in the Twisted Metal Demo Impressions thread. But people want a game instant accessibility that showers them with praise for doing the most mundane things. There are so many damn games out there that have gameplay that is just downright flat and one-dimensional in nature.

I understand it is the job of the developer to help communicate to the gamer the mechanics of the game. But I am convinced that most gamers are really just too damn lazy to invest the time and go through a little trial and error to hone their skills.

2 Days / 9 Hours / 1 Minute / 30 Seconds

Till the sky rains fire.

Chaplain

Will the retail version of the game support custom soundtracks? I ask because the demo did not support custom soundtracks. Thanks in advance.

ElRenoRaven

Damn. Game has now dropped to 9th on Amazon overall and 2nd on PS3 charts now. I was so hoping that the momentum would continue upward. The damn MWF3s jumped back up over it.

10dollas

Banned
Damn. Game has now dropped to 9th on Amazon overall and 2nd on PS3 charts now. I was so hoping that the momentum would continue upward. The damn MWF3s jumped back up over it.

Don't drive yourself crazy watching its ranking like an investor watches the NASDAQ charts nonstop.

ElRenoRaven

Don't drive yourself crazy watching its ranking like an investor watches the NASDAQ charts nonstop.

Oh I'm not taking it seriously. After all it changes hourly and it was amazing to see it get as high as it was to be honest. It was just interesting though to see that it peaked. LMAO

Thirty maps? The OP looks like eight...

There are 8 large maps. They then went and created maps set within those larger maps. Also they didn't just create those smaller maps by putting a wall here or there. So they didn't take the easy way out with them too.

Oh I'm not taking it seriously. After all it changes hourly and it was amazing to see it get as high as it was to be honest. It was just interesting though to see that it peaked. LMAO

There are 8 large maps. They then went and created maps set within those larger maps. Also they didn't just create those smaller maps by putting a wall here or there. So they didn't take the easy way out with them too.

That said, I really hope there's DLC Support so we can see older maps + newer ideas, especially ones set in other countries. Seems like all of the new TM is in America, would like to see some amazing DLC of other famous places.

God I hope people support this game.

ElRenoRaven

That said, I really hope there's DLC Support so we can see older maps + newer ideas, especially ones set in other countries. Seems like all of the new TM is in America, would like to see some amazing DLC of other famous places.

God I hope people support this game.

I'm torn. DLC would be nice yes but man I'd almost rather a TM2 (PS3 or PS4) with a World Tour like approach like TM2 was and maybe a return to individual drivers per car. I'd also love to see more crazy specials again. But either way I do want more Twisted Metal be it DLC or sequels.

I'm torn. DLC would be nice yes but man I'd almost rather a TM2 (PS3 or PS4) with a World wide approach like TM2 was and maybe a return to individual drivers per car. I'd also love to see more crazy specials again. But either way I do want more Twisted Metal be it DLC or sequels.

I actually think any possible sequel to THIS Twisted Metal next gen should be a "World Tour" tournament with MASSIVE level wide destruction events that make players to move around the map, or change the map entirely.

Example: Boost the player count to 24, and have a map in Dubai that starts in the desert and after 4-5 minutes, a huge sandstorm pushes everyone into the city while still battling the whole way there. Like a large scale Twisted Metal rally raid. Then the actual city map would have a destructible Burj Khalifa which would cave in part of the map and open up some sort of sewer system. Just really huge events. Paris, Tokyo, London, Washington DC during a war like Modern Warfare 2, etc. etc.

Imagine recreating the Bad Boys 2 Hummer chase with a Cuba map *drool*

Tokubetsu

I actually think any possible sequel to THIS Twisted Metal next gen should be a "World Tour" tournament with MASSIVE level wide destruction events that make players to move around the map, or change the map entirely.

Example: Boost the player count to 24, and have a map in Dubai that starts in the desert and after 4-5 minutes, a huge sandstorm pushes everyone into the city while still battling the whole way there. Like a large scale Twisted Metal rally raid. Then the actual city map would have a destructible Burj Khalifa which would cave in part of the map and open up some sort of sewer system. Just really huge events. Paris, Tokyo, London, Washington DC during a war like Modern Warfare 2, etc. etc.

Imagine recreating the Bad Boys 2 Hummer chase with a Cuba map *drool*

I know it's not a racing game, like at all, but a kart mode in the next TM, even as a small jokey thing (like MK Puzzle Fighter in one of the later MK games) would be cool as hell.

Helscream

Banned
I know it's not a racing game, like at all, but a kart mode in the next TM, even as a small jokey thing (like MK Puzzle Fighter in one of the later MK games) would be cool as hell.

Well from what I understand in the single player campaigns you will have a race type game mode where everyone has a bomb strapped to their car. And the more checkpoints you successfully nail the longer your bomb will be delayed from detonating. Obviously you will be shooting each other in the process. I could be wrong, but I "think" there is a game mode like this in the single player. Hopefully I am somewhat accurate.

About DLC

Depending on the sells of the game (which I hope are high). I remember David Jaffe saying something about not wanting to segregate the community with DLC. So possibly start off with Vehicle DLC. That way the community will stay completely integrated. And if the sales for DLC do well and if the community demands for more maps then maybe we will see a new big map for nuke and other modes. At least that is how I see it playing out in my head.

RagnarokX

You know they've added racing missions in single player in this one, right? You have a bomb on your car and the first to the finish doesn't explode. Looks like fun.

I'm torn. DLC would be nice yes but man I'd almost rather a TM2 (PS3 or PS4) with a World Tour like approach like TM2 was and maybe a return to individual drivers per car. I'd also love to see more crazy specials again. But either way I do want more Twisted Metal be it DLC or sequels.

Never played TM2, was a Gameboy/DC boy growing up...

How much more crazy were these specials? Every vehicle having their own driver is a must, it's what makes Twisted Metal what it is as much as the weapons, vehicles, etc.

I am hoping DLC for proper skins lol.

You know they've added racing missions in single player in this one, right? You have a bomb on your car and the first to the finish doesn't explode. Looks like fun.

The SP Racing has me so excited, it sounds like that mode from Burnout 3, Lap Elimination, where the last player in each lap was destroyed lol

That sounds soooo fun, I really hope they add it to the MP! Actually, I'm surprised it isn't

Would also love an infection mode where players convert enemies into the infected by ramming them. More modes, especially ones that sound easy to program with what is already there, would make this game have longer legs without the need for DLC, if the game really ends up not having any

RagnarokX

How much more crazy were these specials? Every vehicle having their own driver is a must, it's what makes Twisted Metal what it is as much as the weapons, vehicles, etc.

Roadkill: boomerang missile that does more damage if you hit with it as it is coming back.

Twister: car spins and creates a tornado that picks up other cars.

Mr. Slam: picks up cars with frontloader and repeatedly slams them into the ground.

Outlaw: tases everyone nearby.

Grasshoper: leaps into the air and slams nearby opponent.

Mr. Grimm: powerful non-homing skull missile.

Spectre: ghost missile that goes through everything.

Hammerhead: monstertruck drives over opponents.

Warthog: 3 patriot missiles (red white and blue) that do more damage from longer range.

Thumper: flamethrower.

Shadow: a shadow fires along the ground straight forward; goes through anything.

Axel: shockwave.

Sweet Tooth: homing napalm ice cream cones. Pink flaming cones that fly up and down in a wave pattern.

Minion: fires 3 missiles and a freeze (anyone can use this special as an energy attack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM50lKtsdpQ

SUdCa.jpg

Claiming this sexy new avi.

EDIT: with edits :p

j-wood

Is anyone else leery about buying this day 1 now knowing that basically after a month, the development team is gone and there will probably be no more patches or dlc?

Let's help build a custom playlist, Gaffers

What's everyone's favorite song from the demo and what is your ideal custom playlist going to be? I know PS3 doesn't do custom music yet, but we can dream ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBtVQ0TxWA This song from the game, I love so much. Cruising down the road, and getting into the chaos with this blaring feels awesome. It just fits so perfectly. I feel like putting on my sunglasses whenever it comes up. Compton from NWA is also so badass. Oh, and Rob Zombie is a given.

Would love some custom suggestions, I don't normally listen to this kind of heavy music, but I am wanting to build an awesome set for Twisted Metal

I know I am putting in Superbeast my Rob Zombie for sure, perhaps the whole TM3 tracklist, but outside that I don't have a clue.

Here's mine, I think it could work well.

drive_ost-592.jpg

just wondering, can you play online wit your custom skin vehicle? wouldn't that mean you have to download custom skins for every player in the match so you can see it in your game? I hope that doesn't affect loading or matchmaking time

ElRenoRaven

Was beaten but as you can see from his post and descriptions There were some crazy specials. I know there are still a couple that are in this one like watching a video I saw Axel do his shockwave as one of his. Also Crimson Fury has the flame thrower one so that's cool. I really would love to see a next gen take on Mr Slam. and Twister.

Denzar

I want to import the game from the U.S. (eurotrash here). Can you guys recommend me a fast and trustworthy website for importing TM?

I want to import the game from the U.S. (eurotrash here). Can you guys recommend me a fast and trustworthy website for importing TM?

Deepack - According to people on TMA this is a good importing site for euro peeps...

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/produc...17861&osCsid=acaa32773a016c8bff2539a0542571ba

Its Canadian site, but of course has US version...

things to note: You will need to make a US PSN account in order to redeem that online pass and play online(as the online passes ARE region locked).

Liamario

Banned
Deepack - According to people on TMA this is a good importing site for euro peeps...

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/produc...17861&osCsid=acaa32773a016c8bff2539a0542571ba

Its Canadian site, but of course has US version...

things to note: You will need to make a US PSN account in order to redeem that online pass and play online(as the online passes ARE region locked).

With Uncharted 3, the online pass was region locked. But once I unlocked it in the appropriate region, I could play online on all multiregion accounts.

The Lamp

It was supposed to be extended until the 13th but Sony decided against it for whatever reason.

I thought the purpose of a demo (not a beta) was so players could try it to see if they want to buy it...lol. Stupid. The game isn't even out yet.

Vaporizer

Banned
I have recently played the demo and the game is fun! Seriously fun. But there is one minor gripe. Can we change/map the controls?

And jaffe please give the man who designed the soundtrack a praise. Really good choice in music!

Endo Punk

Sony doesn't seem to have much trust in this game, reminds me of Demon's Souls when they thought it would be hated in the West. It seems Sony believes a game has to be cinematic in order to do well WW. You would think they learnt their lesson after DS.

ElRenoRaven

Sony doesn't seem to have much trust in this game, reminds me of Demon's Souls when they thought it would be hated in the West. It seems Sony believes a game has to be cinematic in order to do well WW. You would think they learnt their lesson after DS.

Sony has never aggressively pushed Twisted Meta sadly. It's like their bastard child. It does well enough that they'll let more be made but they'll never truly put their weight behind it marketing wise. You might be lucky to find 1 or 2 commercials after launch if lucky.

In fact all this talk of the commercials I decided to go back and look. Looks like each game got 1 commercial except Twisted Metal 1. Seems that Head on got one but can't find it anywhere on the net. Same with the PS2 port.

Twisted Metal 2 commercial
Twisted Metal 3 commercial
Twisted Metal 4 commercial
Twisted Metal Black commerical
Twisted Metal Small Brawl commercial

*Edit* Found the Head on one. Still up on the UK site for the game.

http://games.yourpsp.com/twisted-metal/

The Lamp

I have recently played the demo and the game is fun! Seriously fun. But there is one minor gripe. Can we change/map the controls?

And jaffe please give the man who designed the soundtrack a praise. Really good choice in music!

There are numerous control schemes....I changed it to Racing the moment I started playing and was relieved.

Top Bottom