• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Cactus

Banned
- Online pass for a game that needs to rebuild its core fanbase
- Couldn't fix the matchmaking issues for the demo
- Agreed to extend the demo until the 13th and then didn't
- Strict review embargo that ends the day the game is released
- No TV commercial

Sony is really disappointing me.

:(

All those signs sounds pretty much like how Sony does things anyway.

Their marketing has really been piss poor this generation...and a lot of their PR attempts seems to backfire.

Whether the reviews are glowing or not, I'm getting this game. Not only that, I'll be introducing the game to every PS3 owner I know!!

I wonder if there's a custom Optimus Prime skin for Darkside. I'll definitely use that one!

Playthrough of Sweet Tooth campaign

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

While it all looks pretty awesome and from that you can see how Jaffe claims this to be the best Twisted Metal singleplayer, you can also see how what he means by if you are buying this just for the singleplayer it isn't worth it (though that doesn't mean you have to be an online player to make it worth it, I imagine you'd get plenty of value playing through challenge mode on all the various maps).

do people really think some extra marketing will make twisted metal sold millions? in this current trend, even since it's first unveiling, people pretty much say this game is gonna bomb real bad and just a waste of money from Sony's part. the only reason it got made because it's made by small team for cheap. it'll never going to get Uncharted level marketing push from Sony.

ElRenoRaven

do people really think some extra marketing will make twisted metal sold millions? in this current trend, even since it's first unveiling, people pretty much say this game is gonna bomb real bad and just a waste of money from Sony's part. the only reason it got made because it's made by small team for cheap. it'll never going to get Uncharted level marketing push from Sony.

Who's the people saying that? I've not heard a single person except dumbasses on some forums say it's going to bomb. Anyone who's ever remotely followed sales knows the franchise always sells a million to a million and a half. That's without any real support marketing wise and that's certainly not a bomb. More so when it's always made money.

The Lamp

- Online pass for a game that needs to rebuild its core fanbase
- Couldn't fix the matchmaking issues for the demo
- Agreed to extend the demo until the 13th and then didn't
- Strict review embargo that ends the day the game is released
- No TV commercial

Sony is really disappointing me.

:(

Well I did my part and just pre-ordered and will blab about this game to everyone I know, but yeah they are pretty disappointing this gen in that regard.

And screw the online pass...I always buy my games new anyway but it's still a hassle, especially if I want to play my games at other people's houses 8l thanks for nothing, used games.

For a game made by a small, cheap studio their MP is much more balanced than Uncharted 3's COD-wannabe mess

RagnarokX

Sony has never aggressively pushed Twisted Meta sadly. It's like their bastard child. It does well enough that they'll let more be made but they'll never truly put their weight behind it marketing wise. You might be lucky to find 1 or 2 commercials after launch if lucky.

In fact all this talk of the commercials I decided to go back and look. Looks like each game got 1 commercial except Twisted Metal 1. Seems that Head on got one but can't find it anywhere on the net. Same with the PS2 port.

Twisted Metal 2 commercial
Twisted Metal 3 commercial
Twisted Metal 4 commercial
Twisted Metal Black commerical
Twisted Metal Small Brawl commercial

*Edit* Found the Head on one. Still up on the UK site for the game.

http://games.yourpsp.com/twisted-metal/
Sweet Tooth was an unofficial mascott of Playstation along side Crash Bandicoot durring the PS1 era. There were commercials where Crash and Sweet Tooth would drive around and promote PS1.

AEREC

Just broke down and preordered this on Amazon...mainly based on nostalgia. I never got to go online with the demo but Im hoping everything will be sorted for the retail release.

crispyben

I never played any TM games before: am I right in thinking this one is quite MP-focused, with the story mode coming as an afterthought and not being the meat of the game? Thanks.

RagnarokX

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

While it all looks pretty awesome and from that you can see how Jaffe claims this to be the best Twisted Metal singleplayer, you can also see how what he means by if you are buying this just for the singleplayer it isn't worth it (though that doesn't mean you have to be an online player to make it worth it, I imagine you'd get plenty of value playing through challenge mode on all the various maps).

::Starts with Part 3 because already seen everything before it::
::Sees player shooting stalker missiles without charging them::
::smh::

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I never played any TM games before: am I right in thinking this one is quite MP-focused, with the story mode coming as an afterthought and not being the meat of the game? Thanks.
Short answer: Yes.

The singleplayer is between 6-8 hours according to playtesting by competent players. Others took longer.
Eat Sleep Play wanted to make a multiplayer exclusive game, but Sony wanted a full retail product and thus required singleplayer as well.

The singleplayer is between 6-8 hours according to playtesting by competent players. Others took longer.
Eat Sleep Play wanted to make a multiplayer exclusive game, but Sony wanted a full retail product and thus required singleplayer as well.

single player looks awesome, I love the live action movie I've seen with Sweet Tooth, and the boss battle with Ironmaiden and Brother's Grimm (this is boss battle right?) looks really fun as well.

But with that said, the SP is said to be much more varied than the other TM games, and the unique racing modes sound like a great refreshing feature. Also, I think I remember Jaffe saying boss battles are actually hard, enduring, and intense. So, with those three things in mind, it sounds like they did some good work for the SP.

ElRenoRaven

Sweet Tooth was an unofficial mascott of Playstation along side Crash Bandicoot durring the PS1 era. There were commercials where Crash and Sweet Tooth would drive around and promote PS1.

True. Guess I forgot about those. Never really saw those as advertising the games though and more about advertising the system.

::Starts with Part 3 because already seen everything before it::
::Sees player shooting stalker missiles without charging them::
::smh::
I was watching another preview and the guy froze Darkside then switched to the Stalker missile and charged it up all the way before firing. You just have to accept that people previewing the game early don't really understand as much as the people who have been following it since the announcement.

RagnarokX

True. Guess I forgot about those. Never really saw those as advertising the games though and more about advertising the system.

Yeah, but obviously Sony thought highly of the brand if he was one of the characters they picked as spokesmen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brheKg-Ik5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXSTAj9tlhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OThA36kQ9Po

etc

I was watching another preview and the guy froze Darkside then switched to the Stalker missile and charged it up all the way before firing. You just have to accept that people previewing the game early don't really understand as much as the people who have been following it since the announcement.

Understand what? We didn't get an instruction manual. Stalker missiles are new. It's called being a friggin gamer, noticing stuff like charge meters, and figuring out how stuff works. They lack intellectual curiosity. That guy kept wasting shotguns firing them at long range.

The only thing really forgiveable are things like Death Warrant's alt special, because that's pretty unintuitive.

I can just see this in reviews: "Stalker missiles are the worst pickup in the game. They fly straight like power missiles but do very little damage."

ElRenoRaven

Oh god seeing that playthrough makes me wanna stab someone. Every damn time they go for a power up they miss it and then move on to the next one missing it too. The only time they get any is by accident. That's in the first 10 minutes too. Also how is it every time they turn to go through a doorway they run into the damn wall instead? UGH!!!!

I'm not even going off about the actual playing ability weapon wise because assuming it's their first time I can forgive that at least but the other two things hell no.

Duffyside

Banned

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Whoa... is the single-player just the maps that are in multiplayer? I mean, there are no other environments that aren't seen in the multiplayer?

RagnarokX

Oh god seeing that playthrough makes me wanna stab someone. Every damn time they go for a power up they miss it and then move on to the next one missing it too. The only time they get any is by accident. That's in the first 10 minutes too. Also how is it every time they turn to go through a doorway they run into the damn wall instead? UGH!!!!

I'm not even going off about the actual playing ability weapon wise because assuming it's their first time I can forgive that at least but the other two things hell no.
The demo was my first time playing this game and noticed stalker and swarmer missiles had a charge meter right away.

The race on diablo pass was annoying to watch. I've never even played that map but I could tell where the turns were. He was making the turns wider and missing gates instead of quick turning and he drove straight off a cliff.

It looks like Death Warrant is the car to pick for that event. I imagine his alt special is especially devastating on those who pass you.

Understand what? We didn't get an instruction manual. Stalker missiles are new. It's called being a friggin gamer, noticing stuff like charge meters, and figuring out how stuff works. They lack intellectual curiosity. That guy kept wasting shotguns firing them at long range.

Well I was confused about how a lot of the weapons worked until hearing Jaffe explain them. There's so much in this game thrown at you at once and it makes no effort to teach you any of the deeper mechanics but rather expects you to trial and error through it all which can be hard at 100 mph and enemies all over the place.

They said they didn't want to put a tutorial for it all because it would of been too long, yet they fear the reviewers won't see past the shallow end of the pool. Granted they're countering all that with the TMU series on the PS Blog, but what they should of done is put the those videos on the menu screen next to live training to make it more accessible (how are people supposed to know to look for that online?).

And it shouldn't be a problem, like you said "It's called being a friggin gamer." But that requires patience which a lot don't have.

RagnarokX

Well I was confused about how a lot of the weapons worked until hearing Jaffe explain them. There's so much in this game thrown at you at once and it makes no effort to teach you any of the deeper mechanics but rather expects you to trial and error through it all which can be hard at 100 mph and enemies all over the place.

They said they didn't want to put a tutorial for it all because it would of been too long, yet they fear the reviewers won't see past the shallow end of the pool. Granted they're countering all that with the TMU series on the PS Blog, but what they should of done is put the those videos on the menu screen next to live training to make it more accessible (how are people supposed to know to look for that online?).
Whenever I play a new game, usually the first thing I do is test every button and weapon to see how they function if there is no tutorial.

Games journalists don't tend to do this. Look at how many previews of Super Mario 3D Land there are where they don't run because they didn't know there was a run button and one of the chief complaints when it was revealed was how slow Mario was. There was one video where a journalist couldn't make a jump because they weren't running and he just quit the level after his first failed attempt.

They need their hands held, but when that happens it's a bad thing.

Rattles

There was one video where a journalist couldn't make a jump because they weren't running and he just quit the level after his first failed attempt.

They need their hands held, but when that happens it's a bad thing.

lol got the vid? Fucking games journalists what a joke.

Edit: Search "games journalists" in google this is the first result http://gamejournos.com/ lol

RagnarokX

lol got the vid? Fucking games journalists what a joke.
I'm on my phone, but I'm pretty sure it was a jeux France video. I remember before SMG came out when they showed bee Mario for the first time a Jeux France journalist couldn't figure out you needed to be bee Mario to "walk" on flowers. You could argue it was his first time, but I had never seen it before and wasn't even playing and it was easy to figure out. He fell through the flower so many times.

To be fair, I was griping on the accessibility of Twisted Metal but at the same time during that guy's playthrough right before The Brothers Grimm boss fight the loading screen told him how to jump, then during the actual boss fight there were several shock waves sent out and he didn't jump over a single one.

ElRenoRaven

To be fair, I was griping on the accessibility of Twisted Metal but at the same time during that guy's playthrough right before The Brothers Grimm boss fight the loading screen told him how to jump, then during the actual boss fight there were several shock waves sent out and he didn't jump over a single one.

Sounds about right. I tried watching some more. skipped to the Juggernaut level. Needless to say I watch them pick Reaper first. They died almost right off the bat. Course anyone with brains would go gee giant armored semi with turrets etc, maybe I should take a very well armored vehicle for it. Nope these idiots decided the least armored and lowest health vehicle would be perfect for running into the mines dropped without remotely trying to get out of the way of them. When they died I said yea no more again. Not going to bother trying to watch anymore.

Luckily tomorrow night the tools come out and then the game just one day after that. I so can't wait.

Aye, Just in case, lay off the spoilers please? I know I heard of some of the names tossed around before, like Juggernaut and Brothers Grimm, but I don't want to be too exposed.

I've limited myself from watching any MP action outside of the map from the demo. I saw a lot of the MP action from the other maps and I feel like I am ruining the experience for myself :(

Hate doing that.

As for the guy talking about accessibility, I think part of the fun is figuring these things out on your own. Sure, there's a basic tutorial that tells you about some of this stuff, but then there's the fact that sometimes you toy around and discover these things. These days, a whole lot of the excitement that comes with playing a game is ruined intentionally by gamers who spoil themselves with watching videos, spoilers, trailers, gameplay, etc. They get into the game and know exactly what to do, exactly where to go, and exactly what happens next. A friend of mine watched half of the Dark Souls game and knew exactly how to play it, and I can't ever imagine doing that

Jaffe was right when he said he didn't want to give so much that players didn't want to pick up the final game when releasing the demo, and that sort of mentality has taken a lot out of paying the money to enjoy the value of a game. I enjoyed the UC3 beta a lot, but they threw in so many of the maps, and practically all the modes, and only 1 or 2 maps in the final game were actually new. Now people are stuck buying DLC. This is aside from the fact that half of the UC3 maps are from UC2, but that's another issue.

I absolutely love the idea of playing Twisted Metal and trying out button combinations like "Hm, what if I hold this after I shoot?" and stuff like that. There are even some of these kinds of hints in the tutorial/HUD to look out for. It's stuff like "hm, I heard of doing button combinations for special attacks.. wonder what happens if I do up, up, left, left?" In split-screen that makes those awesome moments. "Whoa, how did you do that!", "Figure it out yourself!"

Reviewers always look at the shallow side of the pool, and infer "Depth" if the game has:

-tons of unlockables (at the cost of long-term balance)
-tons of ranks

That's the extent of "depth" that most reviewers get. They'll look at the multiplayer, say "Hm, it controls well, the lag isn't bad, and there are some nice custom options that, although I am not going to bother with, are plentiful in selection. It even has unlockable side arms, and a paint shop. Therefore, the game has depth and longevity"

I am sure they will notice SOME of the deeper tactics, but none of that will have much impact to the casual reader, or the reviewer, at least not much IMO. It's the hardcore community that will enjoy that, and most those guys are already sold on the game. The casual reader will look at the big shiny score, see that the game has some extent, and hopefully, when they play, they appreciate the depth that is discovered through the fundamental nature of playing a video game: interaction and discovery

Hyuga

Banned

Like I already said: "Multiplayer ONLY" Twisted Metal --> The first Twisted Metal I won't buy!
I love TM because of the story mode!

ElRenoRaven

Like I already said: "Multiplayer ONLY" Twisted Metal --> The first Twisted Metal I won't buy!

I agree. I think if they ever were to make a multiplayer only that would be the moment I don't buy I think. Luckily even though it's not the singleplayer I love from past games it's cool enough that I think I'm going to be happy with it. Considering this is kind of like a reboot I do hope that if we get a sequel there are more of the older characters brought back.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Could not agree more. I doubt I will play much if any multiplayer in the new twisted metal. If it had a nice co-op online story mode I would be down for that.

sarcoa

You get inside cover art? I wish I did. In Canada, they cheap out and don't include that. I have no idea why, I feel so ripped off.

Mind taking a pic so I can see it?
Just snapped one for you

6865631435_1a4687aaf6_z.jpg

Had no idea it was even there. Not bad really.

quick question, if its been answered sorry.

will the Axel DLC code / costume be available at all after release or is it exclusive pre order for gamestop and not releasing at all after 0_o

Tokubetsu

quick question, if its been answered sorry.

will the Axel DLC code / costume be available at all after release or is it exclusive pre order for gamestop and not releasing at all after 0_o

You can unlock him in game under normal circumstances. DLC code is just so you can get him "early."

RagnarokX

Come on, spoilers :mad:

Um... Mr Grimm trailer? It's been known for a while that one of them had that name. It's just a nod that has no real importance. We already know what all of the playable cars are so there are no surprises on that front and these cars are too ridiculous to be playable unless they made smaller versions. Maybe DLC.

You can unlock him in game under normal circumstances. DLC code is just so you can get him "early."

Pretty sure you can't unlock Axel under normal circumstances. Jaffe wasn't even sure if playable Axel was on the game disc. In about 1 month Axel will be available for everyone to get off PSN.

Yep, this is getting flipped just like my Resistance 3 cover.

Flipping the art cover? :O So simple, yet so genius! I shall do this for the few games I have that have inside cover art

Um... Mr Grimm trailer? It's been known for a while that one of them had that name. It's just a nod that has no real importance. We already know what all of the playable cars are so there are no surprises on that front and these cars are too ridiculous to be playable unless they made smaller versions. Maybe DLC.

Oh OK, my bad, just cautious about spoilers that aren't from official videos like that

On another note: are they done with the Twisted Metal University videos? I liked those

RagnarokX

Flipping the art cover? :O So simple, yet so genius! I shall do this for the few games I have that have inside cover art

Oh OK, my bad, just cautious about spoilers that aren't from official videos like that

On another note: are they done with the Twisted Metal University videos? I liked those

I would imagine that they are only releasing those on weekdays. Sony pretty much shuts down on weekends.

Pretty disappointed to see that the single-player is basically just context to fights with AI on the multiplayer maps.

It's not. First, it's always been like that, and there are boss fights that Jaffe promised to live up to the name of fighting a boss (30 minute fights, intense, etc) and there are variation events like races, and I think one other event. I *think* there are three separate events consisting of classic DM, Racing, and something else (maybe the boss fights)

sarcoa

Pretty disappointed to see that the single-player is basically just context to fights with AI on the multiplayer maps.
When you boil it down to that, sure, but context is essential. Avoiding like fifteen AI all gunning for you in a wide open Metro Square requires completely different approach than bringing down Juggernauts in smaller, confined areas.

It was already mentioned but races and boss battles feel quite different as well.

Top Bottom