• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

LordGouda

How so? Are people subscribing?

Yep. There are people with the Subscriber Symbol. It's not as common, but it still means they could get in trouble with Nintendo. It's weird because being a subscriber means nothing:

Subscribers

Subscribers do not get to bypass the slow mode restrictions on chat. The reason for this is because unlike most Twitch streams the chat is an critical component of the content. I think it's best if everyone has the same capacity of input.

I've previously considered enabling sub-only mode for short moments to overcome difficult sections but I've cooled off on that idea and doubt I will consider it again.

Please don't subscribe with the expectation of special treatment.

You know what I think is even more amazing that there is an entire new internet/gaming sub culture born with its own language and meme's websites fanart etc etc etc.

IN 4 DAYS !!!

Truly insane truly an amazing time we live in right now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
OMFZ! How did they get out of the arrows maze?? I though that they will be stuck for an hour at least!

Nah you gotta keep in mind that the number of options at any section of the maze is severely limited. While its possible they could have been trapped in a loop for hours, I suspected they'd get through it relatively quickly because the possibility space is so much smaller.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
W6Mi2BT.png

seems accurate

Faddy

Banned
Cease and desist order from Nintendo/GameFreak confirmed.

Twitch would fight it. If they give in to that sort of thing their business is basically gone. I know LoL and other big games have agreements and everything else but the masses of smaller streams are a huge part of the site as well.

It would be the end of almost all popular speedrunning channels. Siglemic, Cosmo, Werster being the obvious casualties but probably hundreds more with Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon and Mario being the most popular titles to play. Twitch would have to step up and defend that.

Youtube has to be more pro-active in copyright claims since the core business could be at major risk after DMCA provisions on hosting sites seems to have taken a hit after MegaUpload and Torrent hosting sites have been taken to task by the authorities. Plus Youtube is looking at more content deals so they have to play ball with content creators to try and grow into a bigger business. If Gaming happens to be a casualty it is no real harm to Youtube. The big stars like TotalBiscuit and PewdiePie need Youtube more than YT needs them

LordGouda

Twitch would fight it. If they give in to that sort of thing their business is basically gone. I know LoL and other big games have agreements and everything else but the masses of smaller streams are a huge part of the site as well.

It would be the end of almost all popular speedrunning channels. Siglemic, Cosmo, Werster being the obvious casualties but probably hundreds more with Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon and Mario being the most popular titles to play. Twitch would have to step up and defend that.

Youtube has to be more pro-active in copyright claims since the core business could be at major risk after DMCA provisions on hosting sites seems to have taken a hit after MegaUpload and Torrent hosting sites have been taken to task by the authorities. Plus Youtube is looking at more content deals so they have to play ball with content creators to try and grow into a bigger business. If Gaming happens to be a casualty it is no real harm to Youtube. The big stars like TotalBiscuit and PewdiePie need Youtube more than YT needs them

Yeah, you could be right about that.

Seems like everyone is trying to ride the wave now. The original will always be the best.

I thought it was a legit one, but nope. Just a copy-cat.

wmlk

I WAKE UP and Abby's gone. We actually lost a potential Charizard...

Man, Junichi Masuda composed a crazy-good soundtrack. The Rocket Hideout music is an example of that.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah, as tempting as it is to teach Double Edge to Flareon (Or Pidgeot if it can learn it), we REALLY don't want Flareon to learn another move before level 31. After that, fair game.

In other news, I suck at MS Paint.
ltul.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I dunno. I keep the blue stream up because its nice to see cooperation. Obviously the red stream is hilarious. I'm just waiting for the blue stream to get ahead of them so maybe there will be more cross stream pollenation.

Also because its Helix vs Dome.

LordGouda

I WAKE UP and Abby's gone. We actually lost a potential Charizard...

Man, Junichi Masuda composed a crazy-good soundtrack. The Rocket Hideout music is an example of that.

The soundtrack in Pokemon has always been good. Though, because how disharmonious the chat is; the music ends up messing up, causing me to just cringe.

Koren

It would be the end of almost all popular speedrunning channels.
I don't think it's an obvious/unavoidable consequence...

- this stream works on an emulator, even if you could do it without one (PC > microcontroller > GBPlayer in SNES or Gamecube > capture card > Twitch) which can be a specific "problem"

- I think the fact that the twitch visitors can issue commands is a bit different than looking a broadcast.

In fact, if this becomes allowed, that means that anyone could be running a Playstation-now-like service via Twitch, the ONLY think preventing it would be the (currently) big lag. I could understant why editors wouldn't want this to be allowed.

Such a stream should be safe, though, although I think they should have avoided paying suscribers (could they disable it?)

Damn, the streams pretty much at 70,000 viewers. I bet this things gonna easily get to 100,000 by the end of the week. How far will it go?!?

Top Bottom