• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two new HALO 2 Screenshots

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hot damn, those (especially #2) are by far the most impressive shots yet released (multiplayer or single)! that just looks... the picture in the rifle scope is rocking, the sky bow is sexy, the sheer amount objects to hide behind, incredible. of cant wait to see single player, and like sai said, only a little more then a month away...

GhaleonEB

H2MP_TGS_assault.jpg

H2MP_TGS_sniper.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
hmm...is it an elite on elite match or something? the two in the top shot seem to have slightly different colouring and insignia. They are really simillar colours though...

Fans of looking through their sniper scopes from afar should check out Far Cry, Firewarrior 40,000, and then get in a time machine and go play the original Unreal Tournament with some random mutator I downloaded.

GhaleonEB

Ghost said:
hmm...is it an elite on elite match or something? the two in the top shot seem to have slightly different colouring and insignia. They are really simillar colours though...

Each player can have custom colors, even on the same team.

ced

Ok so according to a reliable person who has played more than the latest beta, the first pic is the map Ascension, and that is a assualt bomb in hand, not oddball(though the assualt bomb we saw in vids was glowing red, this isnt, who knows).

Oh and the elite is doing a barehand melee attack :D

Rorschach

Sai said:
* Sai sighs...

My poor thread...

It's all your fault, Bluemercury. Damn you. :mad:

Bluemercury fueled it, but this was started by giving Halo2 credit for something that had already been done in multiple games (hey, it's Halo all over again!):

shpankey said:
Now that they've shown that, expect it to be stolen by at least 10 FPS, as publishers rush back to devs and demand they add it in their games.

Anyway, those blow up shots look good. I'm looking forward to it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Rorschach said:
Bluemercury fueled it, but this was started by giving Halo2 credit for something that had already been done in multiple games (hey, it's Halo all over again!)

In all fairness, this is once again something that is new to console gaming. Most people who are serious PC FPS whores aren't going to claim Halo is revolutionary or brings anything new to the genre, but rather that it just does all of the major elements (story, graphics, weapons, interactivity) very well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nerevar said:
In all fairness, this is once again something that is new to console gaming. Most people who are serious PC FPS whores aren't going to claim Halo is revolutionary or brings anything new to the genre, but rather that it just does all of the major elements (story, graphics, weapons, interactivity) very well.

Wanna know something? I'm probably more of a serious FPS whore than anyone on this forum. I'm just not short-sighted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, I think both Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 will be REALLLLLY good games. Why even argue? People will tend to prefer one or the other, but just remember what we are getting here!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
DopeyFish said:
Wanna know something? I'm probably more of a serious FPS whore than anyone on this forum. I'm just not short-sighted.

Your tag is very appropriate, as that made absolutely no sense.

shpankey

not an idiot
dark10x said:
Honestly, I think both Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 will be REALLLLLY good games. Why even argue? People will tend to prefer one or the other, but just remember what we are getting here!

agree

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nerevar said:
Your tag is very appropriate, as that made absolutely no sense.

It made a lot of sense. I compete in tournaments, I play in several leagues across several games.

But I can't deny what will be the better game.

Sai

We need a Interview Video, y'know... Like what Joe Staten(Cinematics), and Marty O' Donnel(Music) did for the original game. It was a 7 or 8 minute video that had lots of great footage of Halo's enemies and enviroments and gameplay, with some commentary and banter from those two...

[EDIT] - Here is a link to the news story on HBO about the vid in case you've forgotten.

You guys remember that? I think I'm going to post about that on the Bungie.net forums.

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
It made a lot of sense. I compete in tournaments, I play in several leagues across several games.

But I can't deny what will be the better game.

Wait - you are saying:

A) You know which of two unreleased games that you have not played through will be better, and
B) You are not short-sighted.

Um.......contradiction.....head hurts........WTF.....

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
We need a Interview Video, y'know... Like what Joe Staten(Cinematics), and Marty O' Donnel(Music) did for the original game. It was a 7 or 8 minute video that had lots of great footage of Halo's enemies and enviroments and gameplay, with some commentary and banter from those two...

[EDIT] - Here is a link to the news story on HBO about the vid in case you've forgotten.

You guys remember that? I think I'm going to post about that on the Bungie.net forums.

I'll do you one better - Bungie actually put out FOUR version of this video, with different people doing commentaty on each - the O'Donnell/Staten was one of them.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/makingofmirrors.html

Sai

Ah! I didn't know there were 4 of them. I just got through watchin' them all, it's interesting how small effects like the shader used for the Energy Shields of the Jackals, and the stationary Energy Shields were changed for the final release. And the Covenant Turret was actually useful then. Wow. :lol

Yeah, we definitely need a video like this for the release of HALO 2.

GhaleonEB

Camillemurs said:
This game does not look anywhere near as good as it did in the original trailer...

Two things: One, the environments we are seeing are different than the one in the first trailer. All of the effects are there - the lighting, animation etc. The only detail I hve not seen in the new shots is the reflection on the MC's visor, and that likely isn't in the MP version, similar to how the specular map on the MC's armor from SP cinemas wasn't in MP. I'd wait for Campaign shots/movies to make that call.

Sai

Dynamic lighting and Shadows/Self-Shadowing isn't as prominent in Multiplayer, if I remember correctly. Still, it's quite consistent and I think the end product will wow us even more than the X02 Announcement Trailer.

shpankey

not an idiot
yeah, they have to downgrade the multiplayers graphics in order for it to play and run smooth (16 players going crazy online can be tough on a network connection and hard to keep a framerate up on).

Single player is what you seen in that trailer (which I would imagine looks even better now).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wouldnt get your hopes up about SP looking that much better, a little bit more lighting is probably all we're gonna get, i seriously think if it looked that much better they would have found a spoiler free way of showing it off.

GhaleonEB

Ghost said:
I wouldnt get your hopes up about SP looking that much better, a little bit more lighting is probably all we're gonna get, i seriously think if it looked that much better they would have found a spoiler free way of showing it off.

SP Halo is a few notches higher than MP, and some Bungie guys have been hinting that SP is much, much more impressive than MP in Halo 2. You just have to know where to look.

Kon Tiki

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
SP Halo is a few notches higher than MP, and some Bungie guys have been hinting that SP is much, much more impressive than MP in Halo 2. You just have to know where to look.

Can you please link me to the scale, I would like to learn about these magical notches.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Bluemercury said:
HL2 will destroy H2.......i think in preety much all areas....
Bullshit. Halo 2 is set to make unprecedented strides in areas of the genre that HL2 doesn't even touch on.

teepo said:
that farcry screen really made halo2 look ugly now!
Sadly, it's true. Far Cry does look a lot more impressive. At least in screens. I have a feeling Halo2 will have a lot more chaos on screen, if that makes any sense.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Comparing what Halo 2 SP sounds like to Metroid Prime is a fucking joke. Was this on the Daily Show last night or something?

Deg

Banned
demon said:
Bullshit. Halo 2 is set to make unprecedented strides in areas of the genre that HL2 doesn't even touch on.

This is true. I saw two guns being held in one video :p

demon said:
Comparing what Halo 2 SP sounds like to Metroid Prime is a fucking joke. Was this on the Daily Show last night or something?

What does Metroid have to do with it?It isnt even a real FPS....

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
RUH-ROH!

10-page thread a-comin'.

*Hangs head*

It was such a nice young post, but they all seem to go wrong a tthe end of page two.

Much like horses at the end of a parade, the trolls come in to leave their mark.

You buncha shitheads

If you insist that one sux and one rox then you get one great game

If you allow for the possibility that both games are very good and represent some of the very best of western work, then you get two great games!

Don't fuck up the best year we've had in a long while for yourselves

SantaC

halo2 will be a fantastic game. I wish the cube was capable of capturing hi res screenshots though. Would be nice to see RE4 in same res as halo2 shots :D

GhaleonEB

ArcadeStickMonk said:
You buncha shitheads

If you allow for the possibility that both games are very good and represent some of the very best of western work, then you get two great games!

Don't fuck up the best year we've had in a long while for yourselves

This was a three-way flame-fest a few months ago when Doom 3 was thrown into the mix.

All three will be great.

And different.

Different and great.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ArcadeStickMonk said:
You buncha shitheads

Don't fuck up the best year we've had in a long while

I didnt read anyone saying either game would suck, are you all in the US? isnt it a bit early for you to be drunk?

and demon...MP = Multiplayer not Metroid Prime

Forsete

Hmm, looks so so.

The characters need more detail (polygon wise).

I just hope it will be more fun than the first (which was good in the beginning, and just before the flood).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sai said:

halo 2 LE dvd. duh

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
GhaleonEB said:
Two things: One, the environments we are seeing are different than the one in the first trailer. All of the effects are there - the lighting, animation etc. The only detail I hve not seen in the new shots is the reflection on the MC's visor, and that likely isn't in the MP version, similar to how the specular map on the MC's armor from SP cinemas wasn't in MP. I'd wait for Campaign shots/movies to make that call.

Well that's one...

dark10x said:
How dare you bring logic into this thread.

Sai

Forsete said:
Hmm, looks so so.

The characters need more detail (polygon wise).
That's what Bungie was aiming for. The character models in HALO 2 use fewer polygons than the ones in the original game, but have much more bump-mapping to make up for it.

More resources for other things.

op_ivy said:
halo 2 LE dvd. duh
... Oh yeah. :(

Top Bottom