• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

MadFuzzy

Looks like it's up via search on the Vita store.
It costs £5.49 on the UK store (£4.39 with Plus discount).

(Ha, beaten).

keenest

On the ZA store the price is R52 for PS Plus members. Normal price is R65.

So it works out to about USD 4.72 or 2.862 British Pound Sterling.

Quite the bargain.

blahness

Torture until I get paid on Friday! I cannot wait to pick this up and I am up for some good leaderboard competition. Space Giraffe was one of my favorites last gen and I love most of the Minter iOS games. PSN: Mecha-blahness

L-button usage seems pretty important on especially the higher stages. i feel the craft physics are more slippy than giraffe and t2k, to the point i almost need to use the L-button to ensure a full stop

Wow yeah just played the first level and the 'slip' of the craft is pretty high, T2K used to stop when you stopped. Not sure I like that tbh.

Drek

This game makes my brain melt and the melty brain goo pours out my skull and melts my eyeballs. Then the melty eye and brain goo pours down my face and melts my face off. Then all the melty eyeball, brain, and face goo runs down my now exposed esophagus and melts my internal organs.

Minter, you crazy beautiful bastard, what have you unleashed upon the world?

Also, OLED über alles!

Skyzard

Banned
Really enjoying this game, clicked with me straight away pretty much. Never played tempest or space giraffe though so I'm a newcomer. Played now a bit and got to 0.42mil and level 12 (that's the one that I can start with on classic now at least), will jump back in a sec.

Anyone know what level "I feel cosmic all the time" plays?

jvm

Gamasutra.
No, the numerical significance of 420 isn't widely recognised outside of the US.
Ah, well, learn something new each day. Thanks!

Maybe he'll run a US$4.20 sale here in North America someday. I wonder if SCEA would permit that to happen...

Haha, I woke up this morning seeming to remember that the original arcade used that dial controller, and I come into the thread and see it's already been discussed

nampad

One thing dislike about this game, it is one of the games that really want you the push start instead of every other button on the first screen.
With the Vitas start button, it is a little annoying.

I feel like I have no idea of what I'm doing but it's amazing

Gotta go to work now unfortunately :(

You and me both :(
So hard to stop playing.

So do I have to learn the jump ability on every new level and there is no idicator for the bomb so I guess you always only get one for each level?

Hanmik

So hard to stop playing.

So do I have to learn the jump ability on every new level and there is no idicator for the bomb so I guess you always only get one for each level?

one bomb each level.. make sure to use it, it give double points..

Skyzard

Banned
^thanks

So hard to stop playing.

That's what I figure.

Hitting that jump button constantly lol! I know about the no points while jumping but damnnn

Looks so good too:

j4QTrN5dfNgpG.jpg

0.71mil, level 20

Love it!

sub_o

This game becomes very epilepsy-inducing in later levels. What a fun game!

2014-02-12-1631024ykar.jpg

You can play the music tracks from the credit screen.

2014-02-12-163249snjrx.jpg

"Wedi ei wneud yng nghymru" - Love you, Jeff, you're awesome :)

So, so tempting to buy a Vita for this. I keep seeing it mentioned that it's in the store and i'm just about to check when i realise i only have PS4 :(

Redhood

So I was debating whether to get this game or not! Saw the 60fps trailer again, got hyped and immediately bought it halfway through the trailer. Will post impressions later.

Was mentioned earlier that yes it does crash and a patch is incoming soon.

Surge Deluxe?

I'm a terrible searcher, sorry :p

Got 1,144,213 which isn't great but it's been years since I touched Space Giraffe or any other tempest esqe game so it's a decent start. That teacup level is death.

Edit: I know that score was closer to 2 million than that but oh well.

Edit 2: Ok, it is listed as 1,674,285. Guess it just takes time to update?

Daigoro

im not really a fan of Minter's games, but i probably havent given them a fair shake.

on the other hand i have a friend who is a Minter fanatic, and at $10 for a Vita release like this, i feel kind of obligated to buy this game. so i think i will.

hopefully ill enjoy it.

One thing dislike about this game, it is one of the games that really want you the push start instead of every other button on the first screen.
With the Vitas start button, it is a little annoying.

hah! that annoys me in every game that does that on any system. :p can you not use the touch screen to start either?

Hanmik

so jeff just tweeted that he "left us something at the top of the Pure leaderboard"..

I didn't go *too* far, threw all my lives away at that point. Didn't want to take the piss :D

how big is his score..? and who wants to beat him?

sub_o

This looks amazing. What exactly is doing the shooting here? Is it just a reticle?

You're small abstract spaceship that looks like the letter C, and it shoots particles.

The ship movement is restricted to the plane (the plane changes from level to level). For example on the plane below, you can only left or right along the yellow line.

You have one single bomb per level, you earn bonus that gives you more firepower, jump ability and a droid.

I was overcharged for this game as I paid 9.99 rather than the PS Plus price of 7.99. I went into chat with Sony over this to get the 2 bucks back on principle. For some reason, they refunded the full 9.99 on 'goodwill'. I didn't ask for that, but thanks Sony? Sorry, Jeff. :(

Can someone explain to me what a "long distance rescue" is? I know it's to do with the droid who has saved me once or twice(as in actually had "nice rescue" show up but none of them are long distance.

DodgerSan

It's up on UK Vita store - £5.49 (£4.39 with Plus discount).

Ok, both Jeff & Sony need rewarding for the sensible price point. As a life long Minter fan, the man has provided me with countless hours of entertainment.

In other words, blind purchase incoming.

I totally suck at this game. Furthest I've gotten is Lvl9. Then again, haven't played Tempest since...well, since I was a kid.

Love the graphics, but moreso I love the sound design. Very crunchy.

9/10 in EDGE.

"This is twitch gaming at its finest"

"TxK isn’t just one of the best games on Vita: it might just be the best Minter’s ever made, too."

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
Nice! Was expecting a 10€ price tag, it's even more of a no-brainer now!

Added a couple gaffers to my psn list. Feel free to add me too so I can make you feel better about your own highscore :p.
Psn: geengrenzuh

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
9/10 in EDGE.

"TxK isn’t just one of the best games on Vita: it might just be the best Minter’s ever made, too."

Great minds! I'm so excited to play this. And really happy at all the attention it's getting too.

Anyone else having trouble with the controls? Seems very imprecise. Also the normal to inverted left/right controls feel wonky and pretty difficult. Am I in the minority here?

SmokyDave

9/10 in EDGE.

This, OlliOlli and Surge Deluxe have made for a fantastic start to the year for the Vita.

My download queue has TxK sitting in it. Can't wait to get home.

Top Bottom