• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Warms my heart when smaller games like this push people over the edge on a (fairly) major investment. Enjoy it, you'll find there's much MUCH more to the Vita than some would have you believe! :)

I've wanted one for awhile but this pushed me over the edge. I've been wanting this exact game for years

Empty

This, OlliOlli and Surge Deluxe have made for a fantastic start to the year for the Vita.

My download queue has TxK sitting in it. Can't wait to get home.

they're all made in the uk too. combined with tearaway and wipeout 2048 I have this weird sense of the vita being our gaming system even though it's japanese and barely anyone in the uk owns one.

SkylineRKR

This game is fucking great. There was 1.50 discount via Plus which meant I only had to add a fiver which was good news.

Been playing it inbetween cooking my meal and its excellent. At first glance I'd say this is the best Tempest game. Rock solid 60fps and tight controls. Great music too.

Minter is a genius.

Skyzard

Banned
Can't believe it really, £4.39. Hope it really works out for him, maybe people will take note that it's better not to "overcharge".

I sort of wish the music track order was randomized in pure mode. First tracks fucking incredible, but I feel like I'm missing out on the later tracks. Up to level 17 now.

BuzzJive

Why don't the scores always sync properly? I've got a top 20 score sitting here that doesn't want to upload.

I got to the spinner dudes. It's growing on me more and more, though I do still miss the utter shader chaos of Space Giraffe.

EDIT: I left my Vita for a bit, came back, it asked me to sign in, and it uploaded finally. I hit 24th today. Not too shabby.

Apdiddy

Wish I jumped on OlliOlli, but this...was a day 1 buy. I love it already even though I can't get past level 7.

And dat trophy list -- egads!

Skyzard

Banned
One thing dislike about this game, it is one of the games that really want you the push start instead of every other button on the first screen.
With the Vitas start button, it is a little annoying.

You don't have to - just need to wait for that autosaving sign in the bottom right to go away.

Starts up so fast too!

Is no one else getting a friends score screen like I had on the previous page?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100502717&postcount=283

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Says I have no score when I go online which I guess is a bug? Also should default to filtering friends by score, not alphabetically. Most of my friends don't even have the game, and scrolling page by page is very slow

I need to wrap my head around the controls too. Once or twice when it gets hectic and I'm at the top of a pipe I get confused. I need a dial :)

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yep, it looks so good. Managed to zone out around level 20 ha.

Yeah this :) and there are two ways to do it.. you can hold L trigger to stop your claw's movement and use the stick to lean into the adjacent lanes.. but (and I'm not sure if this is exactly the same, but with practice it's working well for me) with nice gentle stick nudging you can do the same thing without holding L. Slide up next to enemies and let one of your pincers move over into the next lane and they'll run into it.

I love the gentle inertia of your movement.. I never played Tempest with a trackball but I imagine this is made to feel kinda like that... feels amazing when you get good at it, whooshing around the rim and coming to a halt gradually (well the inertia curve is steep/quick, but not instant), with precision.

Awesome tip from the previous page. I was going to say to newbies like me - you actually fire from two different sides if you haven't noticed in the chaos!

So when those things have reached the end and are rotating - go in the lane next to it AND make sure you are aiming towards it (so tap once).

Didn't know you can also hold L to lock your lane down and just fire from both sides. Will come in handy, thanks.

-Shit, L-trigger is wicked.

gondwana

finished classic mode. proudly posting my score before it's obliterated by llamasoft fans in the UK and japanese stg players
RrYpZ5K.jpg

kind of wiped out. the later stages are taxing, to say the least. i want to do more pure mode runs before giving my thoughts, but I'll say this: michael jordan would approve of that bull

Now I understand what Minter meant, when he said, it is finally possible to replicate the aesthetics of vector graphics, the shining superthin lines on the screen look fantastic, even if I wished for a little bit more melting like in Space Giraffe, but I understand why he chose the clean look for the game.

Lhadatt

I was overcharged for this game as I paid 9.99 rather than the PS Plus price of 7.99. I went into chat with Sony over this to get the 2 bucks back on principle. For some reason, they refunded the full 9.99 on 'goodwill'. I didn't ask for that, but thanks Sony? Sorry, Jeff. :(

I got a refund too, but they also cancelled my TxK license. I simply bought it again at the PS Plus price and my Vita reauthorized the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I haaate the yellow electric things. They seem to just come out of nowhere sometimes.

Ruined so many runs.:(

I haaate the yellow electric things. They seem to just come out of nowhere sometimes.

I generally know they're coming because I look for their yellow spots down the lane and the timing is pretty generous on their laser attack but they become a pain in the more hectic, moving levels.

gondwana

Haven't had a sit down with it yet, but... better than Space Giraffe?
i think they're complimentary with each other and emphasize different aspects. SG is a more composed, strategic shooter with a satisfying scoring system and psychedelia backdrop. TxK is basically a faster, more perfected Tempest 2000. it's not as audacious as SG, but it might be the less flawed game of the two. both have their own merits.

DodgerSan

Loving it, though I'm as bad as ever at tempest-style.

Anyone else preferring dpad over stick?

Now I understand what Minter meant, when he said, it is finally possible to replicate the aesthetics of vector graphics, the shining superthin lines on the screen look fantastic, even if I wished for a little bit more melting like in Space Giraffe, but I understand why he chose the clean look for the game.

Absolutely, even down to the 'dots' on the letters. Very nice look.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like the option of a Time pilot style control, where pressing down moves your ship towards the bottom of he screen, pressing left moves it towards the left - regardless of where your ship is on the screen.

This game's so smooth. Looks exquisite too.

I've only had a couple of goes so far. One of those my two year old walked up to the Vita in my lap, plonked his face down into it, and exclaimed "wow!". He gets it!

Arukado

Those electric enemies are kicking me non stop, and sometimes i have trouble to see where they are.

Anyway, this game is great.

Hesemonni

Banned
I remember having my mind blow by Mutant Camels on C64 when I was little. Here's my first ever day one Vita purchase.

Gong

Spent 1 1/2 hours straight on this tonight, it's flippin' amazing! I loved Space Giraffe and TxK doesn't disappoint in the slightest. It just feels so right, feels perfect to control. Once you put on a pair of headphones, you have the complete experience IMO, gets you totally in the zone.

I'm currently just outside the top 100, Vita is on charge as I ran the battery down, so having a break before diving back in. Can't believe it cost under £5, bargain of the year already.

Shaneus

Well, I've worked out why there are so few reviews of this thing... you have to stop playing it to write anything up.

This game is balls-out amazing!

Loving it, though I'm as bad as ever at tempest-style.

Anyone else preferring dpad over stick?

Dpad feels better given the controls bidirectional, but I think it doesn't give you the subtlety of peeking into the next lane.

Spent 1 1/2 hours straight on this tonight, it's flippin' amazing! I loved Space Giraffe and TxK doesn't disappoint in the slightest. It just feels so right, feels perfect to control. Once you put on a pair of headphones, you have the complete experience IMO, gets you totally in the zone.

Whoa whoa whoa - everybody's playing this with headphones right?

Those electric enemies are kicking me non stop, and sometimes i have trouble to see where they are.

Anyway, this game is great.

You should watch out for them when they are still yellow dots outside the grid, from here you can see where they will "land", once they are on the grid just continue to keep an eye on them. They will advance on the grid quite a while before they shoot the first time, if you are aware of them, you can easily kill them off, before they start to electrify the grid.

Shaneus

This game makes me feel like talking in doge after I've finished... turns me into a blubbering mess. So amaze.

Dpad feels better given the controls bidirectional, but I think it doesn't give you the subtlety of peeking into the next lane.
I didn't think there was anything incremental about the joystick controls at all, but I didn't give it a good bash.

FWIW, funnily enough this game literally was the last reason I bought a Vita for... early last year. Wipeout and Lumines were the catalysts, but once I saw this was announced, I bought one. This was what... May or June last year? I know I had one for AusPAX, that's for sure (and talking about it with the folks in the retro gaming area).

Just did first run, I'm a little confused, sometimes my ship thing will run smooth but then it seems to struggle moving, what am I doing to make the ship suddenly move kind of sluggish?

I'm almost completely new to Tempest style games, so gonna suck at it a bit, though managed the first few levels somehow. Looks so good!

Just did first run, I'm a little confused, sometimes my ship thing will run smooth but then it seems to struggle moving, what am I doing to make the ship suddenly move kind of sluggish?

I'm almost completely new to Tempest style games, so gonna suck at it a bit, though managed the first few levels somehow. Looks so good!

Just make sure, that you only tilt the stick left or right, even if the grid goes up or down, the direction you have to press on the stick stays left and right.

Shaneus

I want them to make these for Vita:
cV2pGqkm.jpg

Except with, you know, the ability to use an external controller. I don't even care if it's in 3D or not, I just want this game to take up my whole field of vision.

Possibly holding the L button inadvertently?

Pure arcade sensory overload, *exactly* what the Vita needed. With headphones this is like being in all of the arcades of my youth - with infinite credits.

An absolute motherlode of a shooter.

Pookmunki

Flipping ace game, I've been a fan of Minter since the C64.

No one makes games like him, a true artist and I'm glad he has never really 'sold out'.

PSN: Pookmunki

Just in case your score needs an ego boost.

LIKE A BOSS!

I've been playing this every few hours since launch. I didn't think I could love a game more than Space Giraffe, but this is seriously the best work Minter has ever done. The way a level collapses, the 'zone out' sections, the music. All so good. The only thing I miss from SG is bulling.

Top Bottom