• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

nampad

You don't have to - just need to wait for that autosaving sign in the bottom right to go away.

Starts up so fast too!

Is no one else getting a friends score screen like I had on the previous page?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100502717&postcount=283

Ok, but you still have to push it after you start up the game?
The friends leaderboards is another thing I don't like. I don't need to see my whole friends list, just people who actually played it.
The level selection is also quite excentric. So do I change the game mode and the level together or what? Where is the survival mode?

Gameplay and the music is awesome though.

SmokyDave

Man I'm rusty. Struggling to get past about level 20 or so. Boy am I having fun though. It's so beautiful *sniff*.

I've been playing this every few hours since launch. I didn't think I could love a game more than Space Giraffe, but this is seriously the best work Minter has ever done. The way a level collapses, the 'zone out' sections, the music. All so good. The only thing I miss from SG is bulling.
Agreed. Took me a while to get used to playing without it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
People are raving about this, it looks trippy and fun, and it has a ps plus discount for a couple weeks. But I have enough Vita games right now. I dunno.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So got up to level 30ish with a score of about 1.3m. Pretty happy with that for now.

My first thoughts are that it's easily one of the best games on the Vita and over time might become one of my favourite games ever. I got that adrenaline rush when the webs started spinning and the music just seems to get better and better.

It's weird : I played a bit of Resogun inbetween and Resogun feels like a slow-paced strategy simulation by comparison.

nyarla

Neo Member
The level selection is also quite excentric. So do I change the game mode and the level together or what? Where is the survival mode?

On the level select screen, when starting from level 1, you press Select to change between Pure and Survival mode. Starting from any other level = Classic mode.

So Pure is like playing from the start on one credit.. Survival is, of course, the same but without being able to get extra lives.. and in Classic you can restart from any level you've previously reached. It saves your best score & lives left for each level, so you can resume your best game from any point.. so it's like you can build up your overall high score over time... genius feature!

Skyzard

Banned
Ok, but you still have to push it after you start up the game?
The friends leaderboards is another thing I don't like. I don't need to see my whole friends list, just people who actually played it.

Gameplay and the music is awesome though.

Not for me...I'll triple check in a bit but pretty sure. Not sure what's up with the friend board.

panda-zebra

Haven't really played Pure, been trying to see what's in the later levels in Classic but hit a wall. I found it tough on 54 and 56 and only got a few more levels done before ending up stuck on 1 life. Still got into top 20 with that though, I think most are playing Pure! Being able to go back and start again 1 or 2 levels sooner is such a great feature, will be handy tomorrow.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
On the level select screen, when starting from level 1, you press Select to change between Pure and Survival mode. Starting from any other level = Classic mode.

So Pure is like playing from the start on one credit.. Survival is, of course, the same but without being able to get extra lives.. and in Classic you can restart from any level you've previously reached. It saves your best score & lives left for each level, so you can resume your best game from any point.. so it's like you can build up your overall high score over time... genius feature!

It really is. It was also in space giraffe and probably Minter's greatest contribution to arcade score-attack games. Too bad no one noticed. :p

Pure high scores will always be the most impressive, but being able to just pass over the slower, less interesting tutorial stages while keeping your score is a godsend.

nampad

Thank you. Classic mode is quite nice for someone like me, I suck at highscore games.

Some levels are really a mindfuck
like level 16 Taurus
. Wish the music tracks would change faster, getting to the higher levels to hear those tracks will take some time.

Btw, <3 AI droid. He makes the job much easier :)

Edit: Does this game not support friends list >100? I always get an error when I scroll down after 10 pages.
Hope we can get real friends leaderboards soon. The way it works right now is just horrible. No need to show friends who haven't played the game.

krossj

Wow! just played for an hour or so and had a lot of fun. I played a version of tempest 2000 on the Mac way back when but couldn't get into Space Giraffe when it was released. It Just had so much on the screen and I couldn't keep up with the visuals a lot of the time from what I remember.

But this is great. Seems like the perfect mix of style and gameplay so far. Only reached level 19 so far and really looking forward to playing some more.

The Vita looks like it is going to have a great year in 2014.

Arukado

You should watch out for them when they are still yellow dots outside the grid, from here you can see where they will "land", once they are on the grid just continue to keep an eye on them. They will advance on the grid quite a while before they shoot the first time, if you are aware of them, you can easily kill them off, before they start to electrify the grid.
Yes, this is what i've been trying to do, but sometimes i lost sight of them because of the the colors, effects and flowers. I need more practice.

Game is crushing my head. The music once you reach level 25 or so is just...

As an aside, Anybody else have this experience?

Level 2:
"Beauty."
"Haha what a hip powerup!"

Level 27:
"Beauty."
"OH PLEASE JESUS GIVE ME THE AI DRONE!!"

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Very surprised at the price, kinda expected it to be £9.95. I had £11.50 in my wallet and had been resisting the urge to buy anything else. Now I have about £7 left so might get OlliOlli or Spelunky.

Thanks Jeff! Been a Minter fan since the original Hover Bover and Mutant Camels on the C64.

dugdug

Banned
Why are all the journos on twitter talking about fucking Flappy Bird clones, but not TxK?

This shit is unreal. So good.

Shaneus

Having played this, I'd really, really love seeing a version of Space Giraffe on Vita as well. I don't think there's any issues with IP ownership or anything because it came out on PC too, I think as a self-published/indie title.

I still love the shit out of this game (obviously) but I occasionally get the itch for some bulling and alas, I cannot. Anyone else get that random craving?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Having played this, I'd really, really love seeing a version of Space Giraffe on Vita as well. I don't think there's any issues with IP ownership or anything because it came out on PC too, I think as a self-published/indie title.

I still love the shit out of this game (obviously) but I occasionally get the itch for some bulling and alas, I cannot. Anyone else get that random craving?
If that price resonates with users, and he makes a nice shiny profit, I don't see why he wouldn't consider it.

Sony should be getting every Vita developer some help doing cross-platform development to the PS3/PS4. Or, as happened with the PSP, some sort of PSV emulator on the consoles.

(I still don't understand why Sony never let more than minis run in the emulator...)

Skyzard

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game. Broke past 1million in pure mode and worked up to level 37 in classic [love the best run/max lives system in addition to having pure]. Love that my song comes on at 25 and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the levels are like and getting more accustomed to the game. When shit starts rotating fast, you can barely blink or you'll get disorientated as it changes the rotating direction quickly.

I want to see my friend scores properly though, not the people without scores taking up all the spaces.

I hope you guys are taking breaks btw, don't go dying from overplaying this :p

Over 2hours and no posts? I am disappoint. It's so good in the dark.

I'm really enjoying the game. Broke past 1million in pure mode and worked up to level 37 in classic [love the best run/max lives system in addition to having pure]. Love that my song comes on at 25 and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the levels are like and getting more accustomed to the game. When shit starts rotating fast, you can barely blink or you'll get disorientated as it changes the rotating direction quickly.

I want to see my friend scores properly though, not the people without scores taking up all the spaces.

I hope you guys are taking breaks btw, don't go dying from overplaying this :p

Over 2hours and no posts? I am disappoint. It's so good in the dark.

Do you mean my song in the colloquial or my song as in you wrote and recorded that?

Also totally agree that this thread should be getting more love.

Skyzard

Banned
^ My current favourite I mean. But I think a gaffer knows the person who did make it though (in the 60fps trailer thread).

Yeah what's up with the lack of posts? Too tired to play maybe, looking forward to reading tomorrow's posts.

sheaaaa

Made it to level 70 today, starting from level 58. Being able to pick up from wherever, with your best score and lives, is such a godsend. Great design.

Havoc2049

Long time Minter fan, Tempest fan and Atarian, so I guess I'll buy a PS Vita tomorrow! ;-p

My Jaggy T2K shrine....
DSCN0225.jpg

Happy Machine! ;-p

Shaneus

Jeff Minter has just tweeted that the soundtrack will be made available to buy, with profits being shared between the musicians.

EDIT: He's also quoting GAF, I've just noticed. :p
Glad to hear that!

Which bits did he quote? Anything of mine? ;)

Long time Minter fan, Tempest fan and Atarian, so I guess I'll buy a PS Vita tomorrow! ;-p

My Jaggy T2K shrine....
DSCN0225.jpg

Happy Machine! ;-p
You glorious motherfucker! Have the arcade pads or whatever as well... and the jog wheel one. So incredibly jealous.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Game is crushing my head. The music once you reach level 25 or so is just...

As an aside, Anybody else have this experience?

Level 2:
"Beauty."
"Haha what a hip powerup!"

Level 27:
"Beauty."
"OH PLEASE JESUS GIVE ME THE AI DRONE!!"

Hahahaha! That's exactly what I think too!

I also, weirdly, thank the AI Drone when it helps me out and my brain thinks "hey, buddy" when I get it.

Shaneus

Epic update to the OP:
  • Posted some more "more info" links... worth checking out.
  • Updated the ID heading, henceforth to be known as the NeoGAF TXK Leaderboard Club/TXKLC.
  • Updated *all* the PSN IDs up to this point.
  • Posted a shitload of reviews. People: Let me know if a site isn't worthy of being posted there. But best I could tell, none of the reviews were poorly written, so I assume the sites themselves cut the mustard somewhat.
If there's anything you think should be in there, let me know!

Wow yeah just played the first level and the 'slip' of the craft is pretty high, T2K used to stop when you stopped. Not sure I like that tbh.
That was the first thing that grabbed me, and it's probably the only thing I don't genuinely "like" in the game. I mean it's there and I play with it, but I'd prefer it to be a lot more... I dunno, snappy? Even if there was still inertia but only a fraction of what's there now.
Having said that, one of the early levels where you glide up a wave, it feels so smooth. Like skateboarding on porcelain.

I sort of wish the music track order was randomized in pure mode. First tracks fucking incredible, but I feel like I'm missing out on the later tracks. Up to level 17 now.
I'm the same. But I guess once you get good enough to power through levels it becomes less of a thing. At least, I assume I'll get that good.

I'd like the option of a Time pilot style control, where pressing down moves your ship towards the bottom of he screen, pressing left moves it towards the left - regardless of where your ship is on the screen.
Then the waves that twist and fold over each other wouldn't work/be as fun. I love it when it messes with my head (first off with Taurus @ 16).

Man I'm rusty. Struggling to get past about level 20 or so. Boy am I having fun though. It's so beautiful *sniff*.
Likewise. I fancied myself as being half decent at the Jag (both emulated and real) T2K, but this is taking me ages to wrap my head around completely. Still, loving every second of it.

Agreed. Took me a while to get used to playing without it.
I'm kinda hoping (I think I posted it earlier in this page) we might get something Space Giraffe-related after this. Hell, I even think that might be the difference in why SG wasn't as big as it should've been... there was a 12 year difference b/w T2K and SG, so SG was more of a shock to people who hadn't played T2K in a while. But if SG2 (we can hope!) makes an appearance only a year or two after TxK, maybe it'll win more people over.

BTW I don't have your ID down at all (and there are a few others who have appeared in this thread I don't have)... lemme know if you want in.

gunstarhero

Maybe I'm not understanding how it works, but how come the online leaderboards are showing one of my lower scores instead of my highest score? Both are in Pure Mode, but the score I just got isn't overwriting the lower score I got earlier today...

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to be thesyncing issues people are reporting. Hope this gets fixed.

SmokyDave

Likewise. I fancied myself as being half decent at the Jag (both emulated and real) T2K, but this is taking me ages to wrap my head around completely. Still, loving every second of it.
I haven't played Tempest in ages, but I thought my Space Giraffe dabblings had left me in good stead. Apparently not!

I'm kinda hoping (I think I posted it earlier in this page) we might get something Space Giraffe-related after this. Hell, I even think that might be the difference in why SG wasn't as big as it should've been... there was a 12 year difference b/w T2K and SG, so SG was more of a shock to people who hadn't played T2K in a while. But if SG2 (we can hope!) makes an appearance only a year or two after TxK, maybe it'll win more people over.

BTW I don't have your ID down at all (and there are a few others who have appeared in this thread I don't have)... lemme know if you want in.
I dunno, I suppose it depends on how much work the port would need and how well TxK sells. I'd love to see it ported and I'd triple-dip in a heartbeat. I think it's my favourite of Minter's games, though we'll see how I get on with TxK.

My PSN ID is SmokiestDave :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Epic update to the OP:
  • Posted some more "more info" links... worth checking out.
  • Updated the ID heading, henceforth to be known as the NeoGAF TXK Leaderboard Club/TXKLC.
  • Updated *all* the PSN IDs up to this point.
  • Posted a shitload of reviews. People: Let me know if a site isn't worthy of being posted there. But best I could tell, none of the reviews were poorly written, so I assume the sites themselves cut the mustard somewhat.
If there's anything you think should be in there, let me know!

That was the first thing that grabbed me, and it's probably the only thing I don't genuinely "like" in the game. I mean it's there and I play with it, but I'd prefer it to be a lot more... I dunno, snappy? Even if there was still inertia but only a fraction of what's there now.
Having said that, one of the early levels where you glide up a wave, it feels so smooth. Like skateboarding on porcelain.

I'm the same. But I guess once you get good enough to power through levels it becomes less of a thing. At least, I assume I'll get that good.

Then the waves that twist and fold over each other wouldn't work/be as fun. I love it when it messes with my head (first off with Taurus @ 16).

At the moment I'm funding it easiest to overlap areas, so if there's a wave coming ill quickly move back and forth so I can spray bullets over an area.

Taurus is almost like a gating point. It's a little difficulty spike before it eases off for a few rounds. If you like the spinning levels, you're in for a treat once the webs start rotating!

PS thanks again for the OT. It's really heartwarming seeing all the llamasoft / arcade game love. I thought I was alone in being far more excited about games like this than all the AAA waypoint type games (even though they have their place) .

roxya

I've never impulse bought something so fast on GAF hype alone, but for £4.39 how could I resist? And it's brilliant!

Never played a Tempest game before, but these reviews and the low price have convinced me to bite on TxK. I'll purchase it at some point today.

edbrat

I'll be getting this later today, very excited.

I will suck at it however, just like I suck at Gridrunner despite playing it a lot.

I will also enjoy sucking at it.

Number45

Glad to hear that!

Which bits did he quote? Anything of mine? ;)

I think I have all of them. You missed out. Clearly not enough eulogising! :p

GAF (Beer Monkey) / Llama

"OH YEAH THIS GAME IS IT."

GAF (luka) / Llama

"In Minter we trust."

GAF (Shinriji) / Llama

"Best vita exclusive since FOREVER. Game is the shit."

GAF (gingerbeardman) / Llama

"Bought a Jag for T2K, a NUON for T3K and a Vita for TxK."

GAF (Freaky Fred) / Llama

"Man this game is so good. Takes me back to when I was 9 years old and last played T2K and that soundtrack.. my lord"

GAF (luka) / Llama

"this is the best game. my god i've never seen such sharp, colorful vectors... seeing it on your tv/monitor does not do it justice."

GAF (jvm) / Llama

"I feel like I have my Jaguar back. Thank you, Jeff Minter."

GAF (Agent X) / Llama

"The game is fantastic! It looks so crisp, and the frame rate is silky smooth. It's a real joy to play!"

GAF (Freaky Fred) / Llama

survival mode - So far I like it more than pure mode cuz I don't get myself killed trying to grab extra lives and I suck at bonus stages."

GAF (HueyFreeman) / Llama

"well this is f***ing incredible LET ME BUY THE SOUNDTRACK MINTER"

GAF (DCharlie) / Llama

"Game is utterly incredible. Good god. Another vita nugget"

GAF (Beer Monkey) / Llama

"this is THE T2K successor. F**k T3K, f**k Space Giraffe. This is it. Finally. Thanks, Jeff."

... and then he had a power cut. Which is good, because I'm supposed to be working not cross-referencing GAF and Twitter all morning.

sheaaaa

I think I may be doing all of this wrong - I use the d-pad exclusively and have not touched the L button once. Haven't had any issues. Anyone else play this way?

SmokyDave

Added hope you don't mind.

Noticed that Jeff is currently playing it as well, must be nice for him to have some down time and play what he has created!
Of course not, my man. I'll accept as soon as I'm home.

Didn't dare bring my Vita today. It would've destroyed any semblance of productivity I could muster.

I think I may be doing all of this wrong - I use the d-pad exclusively and have not touched the L button once. Haven't had any issues. Anyone else play this way?
Yep :)

I'd imagine the other buttons are probably useful, I'll get around to using 'em at some point.

Number45

I found it tough with the d-pad because of the inertia, the analogue seemed to work better for me. I can't get by without L at the moment - trying to avoid jumping when I can.

Best score is only around 500k in Pure, think I managed about the same in Survival as well.

Shaneus

PS thanks again for the OT. It's really heartwarming seeing all the llamasoft / arcade game love. I thought I was alone in being far more excited about games like this than all the AAA waypoint type games (even though they have their place) .
No problemo. I just have a feeling that there are games that could almost live or die on whether they have a half-decent OT or not. This is kind of one of them, the only other OT I put a lot of time into was for Assault Android Cactus Steam Early Access, a game I'd almost class as being very similar in... spirit? Coincidentally, also coming to Vita (but not exclusive).

I like that the indie scene is getting bigger and better, but I'm more glad that with the larger pool of developers such an explosion comes with, more games that are basic on aesthetics but are strong in arcade-style addictiveness are appearing. Basically taking the best of the "just one more" feelings from so many iOS games (that usually have IAP) and mutating them into something beautiful.

... and then he had a power cut. Which is good, because I'm supposed to be working not cross-referencing GAF and Twitter all morning.
God damnit, no love for the OT! ;) I don't even think I got an RT for making it when I tweeted him about it, but that's all good. I've helped raise awareness of TxK, and hopefully helped with a few sales as well :)

At least he's aware (and obviously reading it) though!

I won't be adding any more PSN IDs tonight folks, but I'll quickly chuck in that Eurogamer review (I swear to god it wasn't live when I did my last edit. Honest).

PS.
cPuUHP2.png

So fucking happy for him. Seemed like he didn't do that well out of iOS (despite my Llamasoft-only folder!), I think he was dicked around a bit by MS (although he does still live on in every-single-goddamned 360 via the visualiser) and I believe SG didn't do that well on PC... but this almost looks like it's been worth it for him.

I'm just glad so many other people will get to experience his style and (hopefully) retroactively purchase his titles on other platforms.

Yo.

Shaneus

Grr. Just did my first solid Pure run after burning through Classic for a bit, got a respectable (for only my second real go at said mode) ~1.2m... find I wasn't signed into PSN.

I'm not blaming anything, but I'll definitely be more wary of it when I'm doing anything more than a quick sesh. Other people may want to take note :)

Top Bottom