• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber driver who got beat up by Taco Bell Executive is being sued by attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

These are tactics of a desperate man.

He will never get a regular job of his caliber again since employers do social media checks.

There was man that told off a Chick Fil-A drive thru employeesduring their gay marriage legal involvement and posted it on YT.

Let's just say he wasn't very nice.

It created a huge backlash and he's never been able to get a job since.

Think the exec is just trying to stall the process out making any attempt at fighting against him so expensive it no longer makes economical since to pursue damages?

Think the exec is just trying to stall the process out making any attempt at fighting against him so expensive it no longer makes economical since to pursue damages?

A combination of that and pure intimidation tactics, yes.

I hope they hit him with maximum sentencing. He has made it abundantly clear he is not remorseful and believes he should be able to get away with doing this sort of thing, to say nothing of the fact he's wasting judicial resources. Drop the hammer.

Suppose you have video footage of someone pressing a button for a nuke and blowing up Washington, D.C.

So then it's thrown out just because the state law says you can't film the supervillain without his permission?
I mean I kind of said it generally pertains to audio only, so...... Other than that, ultimately laws and due process have to be followed, so it may very well be wiped out. It's not exactly unprecedented.

Then again, if a nuke was launched, there'd probably be retaliation. So the person who launched it would probably just be vaporized or shot by someone and it wouldn't even matter as the courts would probably be not a thing anymore. For awhile at least.

Syriel

Eh, in general that seems pretty simple. On the criminal side, the argument would be made it should be thrown out because it was illegally obtained. That usually pertains to audio, IIRC. Not video to my knowledge. Both assuming he was not otherwise made aware of the recording. It's basically falling back on wiretapping type laws if there was no expectation of privacy.

I'm not sure if there is an expectation of privacy in a public transport for hire, though. Even if a sign isn't posted. But you do notice that some cabs or public transport areas, stores, etc. post signs warning you that you are being recorded. From there, it's up to you if you "consent" to that and keep your presence there or leave.

On the civil side, due to the recording being "illegally" obtained, the release of such info has been "damaging" to the fuckface and therefore he is entitled to compensation.

Cross posting my response from the original thread regarding the video:

Because the Uber driver made him look bad?

EDIT:
There's also that issue about recording sound without consent though.

Only if there was an expectation of privacy. It's perfectly legal, for example, for an informant to record you in your home if you invite them inside.

United States v Wahchumwah said:
We are persuaded that it is not “constitutionally relevant” whether an informant utilizes an audio-video device, rather than merely an audio recording device, to record activities occurring inside a home, into which the informer has been invited. When Wahchumwah invited Agent Romero into his home, he forfeited his expectation of privacy as to those areas that were “knowingly expose[d] to” Agent Romero. Wahchumwah cannot reasonably argue that the recording violates his legitimate privacy interests when it reveals no more than what was already visible to the agent.

https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/wahchumwah_opinion.pdf

And given that there was a visible dash cam, it's difficult to claim that the recording was secretly made.

This was a camera that was in plain view, not a hidden camera of any sort, so there is no expectation of privacy. If you don't want to be recorded by a camera you don't have the legal right to make the person stop. You do have the legal right to leave.

Plus, as others have pointed out, even if it did apply, it would only apply to the audio. Video would still be allowed.

Benjamin Golden is scum for suing the guy he assaulted while drunk.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Did he wake up one morning and say "you know, people don't think I'm cunty enough"?

This is likely a case of sueing and counter-sueing to get a better deal. But both cases are ridiculous, sueing for 5 million in damages because your hair was pulled is just as stupid as 4 million because of unlawful filming.

Tesseract

Banned
This is likely a case of sueing and counter-sueing to get a better deal. But both cases are ridiculous, sueing for 5 million in damages because your hair was pulled is just as stupid as 4 million because of unlawful filming.

nope, one thing isn't like the other

those hits could've killed him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom