• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is quitting Tokyo Game Show 2024

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
No. Assassins Creed are fun games. Enjoyed Immortal Fenyx Rising as well. I don't care about their business practices or whatever. All I know is they have sales constantly which makes all of their games very cheap very fast. Couldn't care less about what they do as long as I'm saving cash and enjoying the games. And I sure as hell don't care about the woke stuff...this company was using minorities in its games long before anyone else.

Fun ?
Man, do i have a bridge to sell you...

It's fucking ridiculous. They couldn't just write a story about a Japanese protagonist, who is visibly Japanese - they have to appeal to the race hustlers in America, because apparently, everyone on the entire planet has to give a fuck about black Americans at all times. The optics are ridiculous, the character LOOKS ridiculous, and it's Ubisoft's horribly misguided left wing obsessions coming up against Japan - a place where they don't give a fuck about this stuff, and getting a massive backlash that cannot be placated by paying Eurogamer to call people chuds and nazis. It's a perfect storm of stupidity, rank hypocrisy, and the final form of the weird racial politics that these companies and their blue haired conspirators have been peddling for a decade, and I can't fucking wait to watch this piece of shit fail. I am going to openly laugh as people lose their jobs over it.
I think it is just a new form of a mutated neo-colonialism - "you should accept our perception of your country and our problems" or else. The hilarious part is that the same ideology is eating the country of origin too. When Japan is potraying americans, they are not asking USA to accept them as those comics are mainly targeted at native market. But when they are exported, they have to adhere to western standards. But when the west does that - the target country should agree with their standards or else.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I think it is just a new form of a mutated neo-colonialism - "you should accept our perception of your country and our problems" or else. The hilarious part is that the same ideology is eating the country of origin too. When Japan is potraying americans, they are not asking USA to accept them as those comics are mainly targeted at native market. But when they are exported, they have to adhere to western standards. But when the west does that - the target country should agree with their standards or else.
It's a part of this strange obsession that parts of the video game industry seems to have post-2016 - that being, that their interpretation of reality, in which progressivism is both historical and moral truth, must be woven into the fabric of everything that they do. They are right, they are correct, they see things that the audience doesn't see, and it is their job to 'educate' and 'inspire' people. They don't want to produce entertainment, they genuinely believe that they have some role to play in designing the moral reality that people will inhabit in the future.

Hence, the erasure of white-adjacent Asian protagonists through Assassin's Creed: Shadows is seen by Ubisoft as a completely normal, completely acceptable, and completely necessary piece of moral rebalancing. In their mind, the whining of black Americans is something that the entire planet needs to listen to and feel accountable for, and anyone who suggests that maybe a game about Japanese culture should showcase Japanese people are just 'racist'. These same people have a problem with the racial politics of Genshin Impact.

It's just fucking appalling levels of delusional hypocrisy. Ubisoft is the worst of the worst for so many reasons, but this one takes the cake as their most egregiously nauseating move yet. I'm not surprised that they are too chicken shit to face the audience due to the backlash.

FunkMiller

‘You no rikey the way we racist to Japanese people???? We reaving then!!!’

…these sanctimonious, self righteous, sexually abusing fucks need to be out of work as soon as is humanly possible.

Last edited:
scary movie run GIF

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Looks like the game was made by UBI Quebec based in Quebec city, not Montreal.

Based on a quick census check, the Quebec metro area only has about 500 Japanese people.

Who knew a bunch of French people knew so much about Japanese culture.
Le Japon s’est tiré une balle dans le pied.

Je ne sais pas ce que vous savez de la culture québécoise (je suis un expert), mais l’honneur et la honte en sont une grande partie. Ce n’est pas comme si c’était le cas en Amérique où vous pouvez réussir en étant un connard. Si vous vous moquez de quelqu’un au Québec, vous vous faites honte, et la seule façon de vous débarrasser de cette honte est le repentir.

Cela signifie que le public québécois, après en avoir entendu parler, ne voudra pas acheter de jeux se déroulant au Japon pour l’un ou l’autre système, ni acheter aucun des jeux japonais. C’est ÉNORME. Vous pouvez rire autant que vous voulez, mais le Japon s’est aliéné tout un marché avec cette décision.

Japon, excusez-vous publiquement et annulez votre aversion pour les ombres d’Assassin’s Creed ou vous pouvez dire adieu à votre entreprise.

Diddy X

Je ne sais pas ce que vous savez de la culture québécoise (je suis un expert), mais l’honneur et la honte en sont une grande partie. Ce n’est pas comme si c’était le cas en Amérique où vous pouvez réussir en étant un connard. Si vous vous moquez de quelqu’un au Québec, vous vous faites honte, et la seule façon de vous débarrasser de cette honte est le repentir.

Cela signifie que le public québécois, après en avoir entendu parler, ne voudra pas acheter de jeux se déroulant au Japon pour l’un ou l’autre système, ni acheter aucun des jeux japonais. C’est ÉNORME. Vous pouvez rire autant que vous voulez, mais le Japon s’est aliéné tout un marché avec cette décision.

Japon, excusez-vous publiquement et annulez votre aversion pour les ombres d’Assassin’s Creed ou vous pouvez dire adieu à votre entreprise.

reported

Well, this is the first time I've seen this pasta Google Translated so bravo

Kamina

Golden Boy
Smart decision
They put out so much garbage over the last weeks that it’s high time for them to stop and look inwards before making a another move.

Last edited:

Danny22

Neo Member
Unity released in 2014. 10 years later, you still have people longing for that game in particular. People cannot let go of it, they go back and play it, watch and/or make videos about it, keep reminiscing about it in discussions etc. The reason why Unity has such a hold on people and why it has its own community is because it simply follows the philosophy and vision of the original Assassin's Creed to the highest degree while being super ambitious about it. There's no bullshit going on in that game, no woke controversy, no fantasy beings to fight, it's completely serious and grounded.

- Amazing visuals that still look fantastic even today, 10 years later (!!)
- Respecting the pillars of what AC is supposed to be: Parkour, historical background with an urban jungle, Assassin vs Templar conflict, stealth
- No gargantuan open world, the city of Paris is the star, the experience is condensed into one city
- Tech that modern Ubisoft seemingly can't replicate to save their lives, especially the parkour animations. It is painfully obvious in some Shadows clips of Naoe where they try to emulate Unity's flashy parkour moves but they look stiff and sloppy

And much much more. It is still imo a flawed game, it has issues and I'm not talking about the bugs. Be it story or music or some of the side activities, the infamous icons and what have you. But Unity's strength is that it represents exactly what Assassin's Creed is supposed to be and why fans cannot let go. It was a time where Ubisoft was incredibly ambitious and really wanted to push the series to new heights while fully respecting the vision of the original and delivering a game that was truly next-gen.

Also I need an excuse to post this cutscene:

And yet, it was the single most hated ubisoft game back when it was released. Granted, it was released unpolished but I would say it single-handedly kickstarted the modern hate Ubisoft gets. There wasn't a forum you could go to back then that wasn't making fun of ac unity

Unless you avoid the internet, the controversy are not in their side this time.
Here is thing, most of the content in AC games are fake. They are obviously not real stories which means they can do anything they want.

IMO I think having a black lead was a good move because it separates their game and story from all of the other stories that are based in the same setting.

I say all that to say, there is no downside. Just a bunch of nerds and racist complaining about nothing. You think they would get in serious trouble because of their creative decision to use a black lead? It’s all non sense, but they can use the non sense for free marketing.

Kacho

Here is thing, most of the content in AC games are fake. They are obviously not real stories which means they can do anything they want.

IMO I think having a black lead was a good move because it separates their game and story from all of the other stories that are based in the same setting.

I say all that to say, there is no downside. Just a bunch of nerds and racist complaining about nothing. You think they would get in serious trouble because of their creative decision to use a black lead? It’s all non sense, but they can use the non sense for free marketing.
They didn’t pull out of TGS because the game has a black guy. They pulled out because they got exposed for having a bunch inaccuracies, AND they announced an extremely offensive statue. Don’t miss the forest for the trees here.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
No wonder UBI bailed.

You got a Japan samurai game with a black guy as the lead, and they fuck up using a torii gate that survived a WWII atomic bomb.

Here's UBI Quebec office who made this game.

Not much diversity in the way of skin colour or pants(they are all wearing jeans lmao).
This screams hivemind.

Last edited:

Emedan

They are also a French company that made a game celebrating the rapist invaders of England but few seemed to care about that.
HEY....we plundered too

What an absolute shitfest this has been. Hopefully all these Ls teach these companies some lessons.

Cyberpunkd

Dobre Malltelevize GIF by MALL.TV

Works wonder with Concord, Redfall, etc.
Same in other industry, controversy was a free marketing for Acolyte. Afterall its just a bunch of racists.
Those games weren’t good. I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. The issues isn’t that they added diverse characters it was that those products just wasn’t good.

In Concord’s case not only was the game mediocre but they decided to charge $40 when the competition is offering the same experience for free. So I don’t understand what any of these examples have to do with AC shadows.

They didn’t pull out of TGS because the game has a black guy. They pulled out because they got exposed for having a bunch inaccuracies, AND they announced an extremely offensive statue. Don’t miss the forest for the trees here.
Sure … it not like they couldn’t have just pulled the statue and “inaccuracies” in a video game with a fictional story lol. We all know what this whole thing is really about.

SJRB

Gold Member
No wonder UBI bailed.

You got a Japan samurai game with a black guy as the lead, and they fuck up using a torii gate that survived a WWII atomic bomb.

Here's UBI Quebec office who made this game.

The skin tone and composition of the dev team is hardly relevant for the success and quality of a game (see Sucker Punch and Ghost of Tsushima).

The problem with this team is that they hired awful, AWFUL advisors and the subsequent pedantic holier-than-though attitude. "WE, the Ubisoft Quebec dev team are the authority on Japanese history and WE will educate you idiots about Yasuke and all the other stuff you know nothing about, and if you're not on our side you're a bigot and a racist" which is of course a ridiculous stance to take if you're trying to sell a product.

They took an antagonistic stance from the moment this game was revealed. They were gaslighting and manipulating from day 1, riling up an entire country and subsequently basically the entire world.

They went from "This actually happened" to "this could have happened" to "what does it matter if it happened you racist" over the course of like 5 days.

It's a masterclass in how to not approach culturally sensitive material.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Those games weren’t good. I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. The issues isn’t that they added diverse characters it was that those products just wasn’t good.

In Concord’s case not only was the game mediocre but they decided to charge $40 when the competition is offering the same experience for free. So I don’t understand what any of these examples have to do with AC shadows.

Sure … it not like they couldn’t have just pulled the statue and “inaccuracies” in a video game with a fictional story lol. We all know what this whole thing is really about.

Amazing

What i've learned from participating in online discussions for more than 20 something years is that they're always rampant with generalizations, aphorisms, anathemas and selective reading.
Now, i can perfectly understand that people can't agree with others all the time but this very kind of generalization and card-playing (ie : "You're all RaCisT") not only doesn't sit well with me but it's also really something else...Antagonizing others and being this nihilistic is not the right way my man.

My opinion ? both the "woke" and "anti-woke" crowds have become insufferable.

StereoVsn

And yet, it was the single most hated ubisoft game back when it was released. Granted, it was released unpolished but I would say it single-handedly kickstarted the modern hate Ubisoft gets. There wasn't a forum you could go to back then that wasn't making fun of ac unity
It was a technical disaster both on consoles and PC. That’s why people dunked on them.

In retrospect though Unity was the most ambitious AC game overall due to scale.

King Dazzar

I did enjoy Black Flag, Origins, Odyssey (with some XP and Marc mods) and Fenyx Rising. Even Watch Dogs 1&2 were alright.
Same here (though never tried watch dogs). I also love Far Cry and loved exploring old England and its Viking past in Valhalla. Yes the open world design is tired. But I still enjoy my time with some of their games. Recent stuff like Outlaws and Avatar Pants of Pandora did leave me cold though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom