• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is quitting Tokyo Game Show 2024

BbMajor7th

There is no difference, it's still people jobs not that for once sec do I think Ubisoft going under and lay off its staff

It's funny how some who complain the most about how horrible the video game industry is when it comes to layoffs don't seem to care when it comes to Ubisoft or EA and almost celebrate any of their games flopping
Also, if one looks at the cold hard facts of Tango Works none of their games have been massive commercial successes and the likes of HI-Fi Rush, and Ghost Wire dire failures even when Ghost Wire was a SONY exclusive

And people need to get their heads around that quality and rave reviews don't always equal good sales as the likes of Okami prove.
Hi-Fi Rush was an exclusive new IP from a smaller studio whose only prior pedigree was in the horror genre. It was shadow-dropped into the market with almost no promotion whatsoever and launched day-and-date into a subscription service - it never stood a chance. An effective go-to-market strategy with even a modest budget from a huge, experienced publisher like Microsoft could have made a massive difference. Even a basic owned-channel, below-the-line campaign - CRM, web and social - (which cost almost nothing) could have made a difference, but even that went begging.

Studios exist to make good games, publishers to market them. Publishers who own studios are responsible for both: funding and greenlighting high-quality games, overseeing development and eventually connecting those games with appropriate market segments. Ubisoft has failed on a lot of fronts in recent years, made obvious PR gaffes and become too reliant on a shrinking number of now-ailing tentpole IPs and cynical mega-franchise tie-ins.

That they're struggling financially is good - if the market doesn't respond to performance, the market isn't functioning. It's natural selection - and while nobody wants to see folks lose their jobs, the bigger picture is that a healthy market matters for everybody and short-term losses for some are preferable to long-term decline for everyone. This is the basis of all sensible things: prudence (thinking long-term) over passion (worrying only about the immediate).

Saw a comment on Era

All the recent outrage about this game really made me realize how seriously people take video games these days. Whatever happened to just not buying something if you don't like it, instead of getting obsessed and offended on behalf of others? Maybe I'm just starting to show my age, but it feels like most people lost the ability to just let things be.

I can't believe that somebody posted that on Era, a place where they like to be offended on behalf of others :messenger_tears_of_joy:

YuLY

Saw a comment on Era

I can't believe that somebody posted that on Era, a place where they like to be offended on behalf of others :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They only do it because they feel they need to defend the game cause it has a black gay guy and a female. This is coming from people who banned threads or even mention of Hogwarts Legacy, fuck the hundreds of devs working on it, just cause Rowling said something. They take this much more seriously than "chuds", they just think they have a responsibility to defend AC Shadows. Disingenuous fucks.

Nydius

There is no difference, it's still people jobs not that for once sec do I think Ubisoft going under and lay off its staff

Why is it that when it comes to entertainment industries, we’re all supposed to be more obligated to care about their jobs than any other industry?

Won’t someone think of the poor devs?

I worked at Gateway Computer as the ship sunk and they went bankrupt due to piss poor management and Dell just eating our lunch. Did anyone care when we all got laid off? Of course not. We got the “sucks to suck” treatment and a trip to the unemployment line.

No one in any industry is guaranteed a job. Ubisoft has been making mediocre, cookie cutter, “modern audience” games. That, along with mismanagement that wants/needs every game to sell tens of millions to meet “expectations”, is coming back to bite them on the ass, simple as that.

Saw a comment on Era

Yeah that thread is amazing cause they are speedrunning all the stages of grief.

Also they are acknowledging that in addition to the obligatory denouncement of the chuds (which is required not to catch a ban), Ubisoft may not be their brave white knight and kind of suck. They maaaaayyy not have done their due diligence towards researching Japanese culture... all too well. So... progress. Progress is happening.

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member
we know why they're quitting.

Because there's a black man in their new AC game and folk would get mad. They could've just shown Naoe gameplay if they wanted to, but they'd be hung, drawn and quartered by the left for doing that also.

They're in a position where they can't win lol, so quitting altogether is a better option.

Look nobody gets more pissed off with this woke nonsense than me, but I care more about how the games play than what sex a character is
In this day and age men can be women and children cats or wolves and that nonsense that we get these days, but the game doesn't look that bad and last year's game was really good and getting back to how the older games played

I'll take your word on that as I haven't personally touched AssCreed in a long time.

But I do think it's a bit mistaken to say those upset about the game maybe wearing an agenda too on its sleeve, don't care about the game from a gameplay POV too. You can care about both; I bet most commentating about the game are still going to end up buying it.

Ubisoft could've had a slam dunk with Shadows while still having Yasuke & the female samurai if they also had a Japanese male samurai in the playable cast. But they went out of their way to avoid that, and they're paying the price for it (particularly now because they've gotten so many historical details completely wrong despite professing they were staying accurate and had expert cultural/historical consultants who turned out to be frauds).

They only do it because they feel they need to defend the game cause it has a black gay guy and a female. This is coming from people who banned threads or even mention of Hogwarts Legacy, fuck the hundreds of devs working on it, just cause Rowling said something. They take this much more seriously than "chuds", they just think they have a responsibility to defend AC Shadows. Disingenuous fucks.

Don't forget, they tried doing the same thing to Stellar Blade and Black Myth Wukong as well, and it blew up in their faces both times.

Wild part is a lot of so-called progressive posters there aren't actually progressive. A lot of them bought Hogwarts despite banning discussion of the game, I'm sure quite a few did similar with Stellar Blade & Wukong despite painting those games in a negative light too. I'd say a lot are more prog-corporates if anything: their progressive values are malleable if only to serve the corporations they favor.

We saw a LOT of that last year with MS & ABK.

Last edited:

draliko

Why should we have sympathy for who's ruining gaming? Get better or die trying... It's always the same... If ubi fail tomorrow, who's good enough will find a job in 2 days, and not necessarily in gaming, I mean shit happens and job changes too.

Kacho

we know why they're quitting.

Because there's a black man in their new AC game and folk would get mad. They could've just shown Naoe gameplay if they wanted to, but they'd be hung, drawn and quartered by the left for doing that also.

They're in a position where they can't win lol, so quitting altogether is a better option.
I genuinely believe had Shadows come out in the 'before times' i.e. pre-2016, no one would have bat an eye. These companies pushed representation so hard in recent years that it poisoned the well. Everyone is just immediately cynical now.

Z O N E

Saw a comment on Era

😂

All the recent outrage about this game really made me realize how seriously people take video games these days. Whatever happened to just not buying something if you don't like it, instead of getting obsessed and offended on behalf of others? Maybe I'm just starting to show my age, but it feels like most people lost the ability to just let things be.

The same forum that banned saying Hogwarts and called it "The Wizard Game". 😂

There was also a comment saying this:

Obviously, there's Western chuds using the controversy for their own agenda but let's not forget that Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries with a racist, homophobic leader. I doubt that the controversy is mainly caused Western media.

So apparently it's okay for Ubisoft to be racist and offensive to the Japanese people because according to the poster Japan is extremely xenophobic.

You heard it guys, you can fight racism, with racism and the least racist you are, means you win.

/s

Why is it that when it comes to entertainment industries, we’re all supposed to be more obligated to care about their jobs than any other industry?

Won’t someone think of the poor devs?

I worked at Gateway Computer as the ship sunk and they went bankrupt due to piss poor management and Dell just eating our lunch. Did anyone care when we all got laid off? Of course not. We got the “sucks to suck” treatment and a trip to the unemployment line.

No one in any industry is guaranteed a job.
That's just the way of the world. No one cares when a lot of people lose their jobs, but when a super-rich corp like SONY or Microsoft does it, it is news
I've always said that job losses and long hours have been part of the video industry for as long as I can remember.

Not that I look to hope for people to lose their jobs not even at scum ridden Nintendo

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Jeez, what could be the reasons!

Private Joke Smile GIF by Death In Paradise

Elios83

They have probably determined that the reactions can only hurt the reception of AC Shadows before launch so it's better to call off the whole thing.
This speaks volumes of their current state...and the confidence they have in their games

simpatico

Probably can’t afford airfare. You can buy Ubisoft for the low prices of 2 Concords. Company won’t be alive next year unless they go private and restructure.

I'll take your word on that as I haven't personally touched AssCreed in a long time.

But I do think it's a bit mistaken to say those upset about the game maybe wearing an agenda too on its sleeve, don't care about the game from a gameplay POV too. You can care about both; I bet most commentating about the game are still going to end up buying it.

Ubisoft could've had a slam dunk with Shadows while still having Yasuke & the female samurai if they also had a Japanese male samurai in the playable cast. But they went out of their way to avoid that, and they're paying the price for it (particularly now because they've gotten so many historical details completely wrong despite professing they were staying accurate and had expert cultural/historical consultants who turned out to be frauds).

Don't forget, they tried doing the same thing to Stellar Blade and Black Myth Wukong as well, and it blew up in their faces both times.

Wild part is a lot of so-called progressive posters there aren't actually progressive. A lot of them bought Hogwarts despite banning discussion of the game, I'm sure quite a few did similar with Stellar Blade & Wukong despite painting those games in a negative light too. I'd say a lot are more prog-corporates if anything: their progressive values are malleable if only to serve the corporations they favor.

We saw a LOT of that last year with MS & ABK.

To be honest with you I haven't enjoyed a Creed game since Unity, but last year Mirage was a massive step in getting the series back on track and I'm looking forward to the next game. Also, I don't look for any AC game to be historically accurate, the premise of the series is utterly made-up bullshit, what next believing the Chronovisor is really and the Vatican can see back in the time

At the end of the day, it's a game and people need to remember that fact

To be honest with you I haven't enjoyed a Creed game since Unity, but last year Mirage was a massive step in getting the series back on track and I'm looking forward to the next game. Also, I don't look for any AC game to be historically accurate, the premise of the series is utterly made-up bullshit, what next believing the Chronovisor is really and the Vatican can see back in the time

At the end of the day, it's a game and people need to remember that fact

Tangent: Unity gets a lot of rightful shit for the bugs but the crowd density and mechanics were fucking goat. I wish I was in a timeline where that version of Ubisoft kept on trying to experiment and grow with immersive open world like that.

ssringo

Well, that might explain why this particular meme keeps popping up here in particular.

Never knew this is where it came from. TIL

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Typical woke assholes playbook. It is exactly what they do on twitter whenever people hold them accountable for their actions. Block everyone that disagrees with them or deactivated their accounts instead of facing the heat.

They know they are dead wrong and can't answer for their actions. Run away and hide instead.
Actually they don't think they're wrong at all. They've been indoctrinated to think everyone that disagrees with them is evil.

Right wingers have this issue too.

Tangent: Unity gets a lot of rightful shit for the bugs but the crowd density and mechanics were fucking goat. I wish I was in a timeline where that version of Ubisoft kept on trying to experiment and grow with immersive open world like that.
The game was never has bad as some loved to make out, but for sure you couldn't overlook the bugs. The scale and scope of what that game was trying to do, is still to this day is unmatched IMO.

I so wish Ubisoft would remake the game far more than making new games in the series

lachesis

UBI should have made Yasuke a pretty black anime character... like how Japanese media/manga/games change historical figures into bishojo JK... (both eastern/western culture).... and all problem could have been solved. :)

The game was never has bad as some loved to make out, but for sure you couldn't overlook the bugs. The scale and scope of what that game was trying to do, is still to this day is unmatched IMO.

I so wish Ubisoft would remake the game far more than making new games in the series

I do not want to give modern AC rpg-lite slogfests any undo credit, but I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded.

There has been no game that has gotten close to the ambition of the population size and dynamic crowd actions as Unity. Like it felt like a city in a full scale revolution. It's a shame too. I remember thinking back then competitors or Ubisoft themselves would shoot for that scale again. It's sad no one really has. (Edit: Updated and modded Night City in Cyberpunk gets close-ish) Forget giving me a small country of collect-athon with sparse populations and gratuitous landmarks. Just give me one city like that.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Well Ubi should act as a business that protects the wealth of their shareholders and stop being an agenda-driven political arm for radical leftist

There has been no game that has gotten close to the ambition of the population size and dynamic crowd actions as Unity. Like it felt like a city in a full scale revolution. It's a shame too. I remember thinking back then competitors or Ubisoft themselves would shoot for that scale again. It's sad no one really has. (Edit: Updated Night City in Cyberpunk gets close-ish) Forget giving me a small country of collect-athon with sparse populations and gratuitous landmarks. Just give me one city like that.

I couldn't agree more with you on this matter

This story ends with some private equity firm taking Ubisoft private and then selling off their IP’s one by one for whatever value is left of them.

Hopefully there’s enough time for them to spend a few hundred million dollars re-imagining the historical heroes of some culture as being trans or something in the next Assassins Creed before that happens.

Kurotri

Unity released in 2014. 10 years later, you still have people longing for that game in particular. People cannot let go of it, they go back and play it, watch and/or make videos about it, keep reminiscing about it in discussions etc. The reason why Unity has such a hold on people and why it has its own community is because it simply follows the philosophy and vision of the original Assassin's Creed to the highest degree while being super ambitious about it. There's no bullshit going on in that game, no woke controversy, no fantasy beings to fight, it's completely serious and grounded.

- Amazing visuals that still look fantastic even today, 10 years later (!!)
- Respecting the pillars of what AC is supposed to be: Parkour, historical background with an urban jungle, Assassin vs Templar conflict, stealth
- No gargantuan open world, the city of Paris is the star, the experience is condensed into one city
- Tech that modern Ubisoft seemingly can't replicate to save their lives, especially the parkour animations. It is painfully obvious in some Shadows clips of Naoe where they try to emulate Unity's flashy parkour moves but they look stiff and sloppy

And much much more. It is still imo a flawed game, it has issues and I'm not talking about the bugs. Be it story or music or some of the side activities, the infamous icons and what have you. But Unity's strength is that it represents exactly what Assassin's Creed is supposed to be and why fans cannot let go. It was a time where Ubisoft was incredibly ambitious and really wanted to push the series to new heights while fully respecting the vision of the original and delivering a game that was truly next-gen.

Also I need an excuse to post this cutscene:

Top Bottom