• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is still trying to make NFTs happen with new game partnership

Draugoth

Gold Member
Champions_Tactics.png

Ubisoft has joined forces with Japanese web3 studio Double Jump Tokyo to bolster another upcoming web3 project and "accelerate global web3 game adoption."

A press release sent out by Double Jump explains Ubisoft has tapped the company to support web3 integration and become a "key marketing partner" on multiplayer project Champions Tactics when it arrives Asia.

"As a first initiative, Champions Tactics: Grimoria Chronicles will integrate with the Oasys Layer 2 HOME Verse blockchain, developed and operated by Double Jump Tokyo,"

Says the company

The Assassin's Creed maker has already minted 9,999 'Warlord' NFTs ahead of launch, and intends to grant owners early access to an upcoming 'Champions mint.' Warlords were free to claim, but owners had to pay a transaction fee to mint them on the Ethereum blockchain.

Source

simpatico

They never stopped, they just stopped doing press releases about it. All the big pubs are stuck with this "it's the gamers who are wrong" line of thinking. They never course correct. Each one of them has either a sports title or a shooter that does well enough to keep the company alive (FIFA, Siege), but in every other project they try their hardest to tank it all.

Kacho

Ubisoft is wholly committed to fleecing their customers. It’s not enough to charge us $120 for content complete products.

StereoVsn

Fahdis

Seems more like crypto play from another division of Sony vs NFT push in internal games.

Essentially any crypto play has to deal with AI, Tokenization, DePin and NFT's at this point. Yea, they're gonna nickel and dime us soon enough in the name of Decentralization.

Last edited:

yurinka

Since I work in Blockchain, I can also drop another Bombshell on you guys. Sony also just bought a whole Exchange and yes they also deal with NFT's. It's called S.Blox changed from Whalefin :messenger_grinning_squinting:.

In case you guys don't believe me: https://cointelegraph.com/news/sony-subsidiary-rebrand-expands-crypto

The acquisition happened quite recently.
What exactly does that company, what is an exchange? Some sort of a digital items 2nd hand marketplace where you can buy and sell stuff? Or does this company also produce some of stuff they sell? Is that "exchange" limited to sell and buy their cryptocurrency or do they have also a store to buy stuff with it?

Last edited:

Raven77

You all are in denial. This is going to happen and become prevalent in games the EXACT same way that paid add on content like Horse Armor in Oblivion did.

I don't like every aspect of it, but nothing will stop this from happening. Come back to this post in 10 years...

Avengers Endgame GIF

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Large companies will never stop trying to sell worthless digital goods for real money and create scarcity around some digital BS that can be copied with cntrl c.

It may not be nfts but it will always be something .

StereoVsn

Essentially any crypto play has to deal with AI, Tokenization, DePin and NFT's at this point. Yea, they're gonna nickel and dime us soon enough in the name of Decentralization.
They certainly might, but again, this is another division. That said I wouldn’t be surprised.

Neon Xenon

Any time I even remotely consider that I should give Ubisoft a little benefit of the doubt, they do something else to make that even more difficult.

I'm not even surprised Ubisoft is trying to get their grubby fingers into some other NFT shit after Quartz was just about universally rejected by the public. Of course they would - Plan B would just be to try another NFT thing, but more quietly.

Last edited:

SHA

They went down hell since far cry 6, it's not a surprise to look back on older games and see what we aren't really missing, that's the easy thing to do but obviously doesn't align with these anti consumers behavior, these are definitely the same people who would pull older games from existence if they could to limit the choices we got.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Then don’t buy them. People buy cosmetics all the time without ownership. Not sure why this gets so much traction.
And just like the folks who buy cosmetics that are worthless, the folks who will end up doing this are just as moronic. I’m leaning that most people did not pay attention in sixth grade economics and there after at any point in time.

People will always call out the retards who buy them and the companies who push them, just life.

Last edited:

Fahdis

What exactly does that company, what is an exchange? Some sort of a digital items 2nd hand marketplace where you can buy and sell stuff? Or does this company also produce some of stuff they sell? Is that "exchange" limited to sell and buy their cryptocurrency or do they have also a store to buy stuff with it?

An exchange is a place where you can pretty much sell or buy crypto/currencies/assets/NFT's. When we talk about Blockchain, it basically means either a Public ledger of any of these own assets or Privacy Preserving with Zero Knowledge Proofs. Basically, from my understanding these things will happen:

- Earn to Play
- NFT Market based on Skins will explode (the infrastructure for this already exists) however, with proprietary tech you can lose your "items/skins" since you need a peer to peer system which blockchain allows as a network. At some point these "things" will be tokenized and given fair market value on the blockchain and sold through smart contracts online with an "exchange/infrastructure" being the intermediary to gain fees. Think Steam with CS Skins. However, this means scarcity on very popular games with "Dubai Number Plates" or "65 of these cars ever made" ideology.
- Tokenization of your digital games/DLC as well that can have its own marketplace. "Oh hey, I was the 4th person to buy this game in the world" just to give a "proposed" value example. Think Forza Horizon Auctions.
- I expect a PlayStation Home type of Metaverse again where all these systems work seemlessly with a community consensus or DAO.

Actually I can see alot of benefits, moreso than the cons. But gamers are very against crypto/NFT's (for obvious reasons), not understanding that the tech of Blockchain gives you more personal power and freedom if used the right way. However, I cannot endorse NFT's unless its in a Metaverse environment. Its stupid af otherwise.

They certainly might, but again, this is another division. That said I wouldn’t be surprised.

Looks how they merged that Movie bs within PS Premium. It'll come in the next 3-5 years.

yurinka

An exchange is a place where you can pretty much sell or buy crypto/currencies/assets/NFT's. When we talk about Blockchain, it basically means either a Public ledger of any of these own assets or Privacy Preserving with Zero Knowledge Proofs. Basically, from my understanding these things will happen:

- Earn to Play
- NFT Market based on Skins will explode (the infrastructure for this already exists) however, with proprietary tech you can lose your "items/skins" since you need a peer to peer system which blockchain allows as a network. At some point these "things" will be tokenized and given fair market value on the blockchain and sold through smart contracts online with an "exchange/infrastructure" being the intermediary to gain fees. Think Steam with CS Skins. However, this means scarcity on very popular games with "Dubai Number Plates" or "65 of these cars ever made" ideology.
- Tokenization of your digital games/DLC as well that can have its own marketplace. "Oh hey, I was the 4th person to buy this game in the world" just to give a "proposed" value example. Think Forza Horizon Auctions.
- I expect a PlayStation Home type of Metaverse again where all these systems work seemlessly with a community consensus or DAO.

Actually I can see alot of benefits, moreso than the cons. But gamers are very against crypto/NFT's (for obvious reasons), not understanding that the tech of Blockchain gives you more personal power and freedom if used the right way. However, I cannot endorse NFT's unless its in a Metaverse environment. Its stupid af otherwise.

Looks how they merged that Movie bs within PS Premium. It'll come in the next 3-5 years.
ok thanks

Three

I'm not a fan of this type of monetisation but NFTs are no different than the crazy monetisation Valve set up for Counterstrike gear or TF hats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom