• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Euro 2008 "gaf" League of Extraordinary Floppers

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
League Name: gaf
Password: canto

Settings: 7 mins, all fouls, etc. on. You play each person in the league three times. You can find them by going to XBL menu in the game, then going to leagues and My Leagues--it will show you everyone who's online. You challenge them from there.

Current Team List
AstroLad-France
bdoughty-Scotland
ChrisGoldstein-Spain
fifty-Netherlands
woodchuck-Portugal
Cedeo-Portugal
viva anticon-Croatia
kobashi100-Italy

_41852596_missed416.jpg

LET'S DO THIS GAF!

Fifty

Oh, wow, what a surprise..I was just looking to join a reliable and respectable UEFA Euro 2008 league! I will join in as the Fake Netherlands.

My gamertag is "Che Robinho"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I should add that my brother's GT is viva anticon and mine is AstroTheLad.

ps you don't need to add everyone necessarily as you can see them from the league page but everyone is free to add me certainly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
Team: France

Gamertag: Dr Tim Whatley

too late yoink! dunno if it's first come first serve or what but i nabbed my proud home country. :p get em while they're hot! (you pick when you sign up)

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
too late yoink! dunno if it's first come first serve or what but i nabbed my proud home country. :p get em while they're hot! (you pick when you sign up)

fuuuuuuuck. i'll try again. but i cant sign up until i get the game so this will have to do.

Team: Portugal

AndresON777

shooting blanks
damn i gotta get home and pick spain fast..lol 1 more hour to go!

if not i'll get england or italy, actually i'll spare england i'm sure we have at least 1 englishman

Cedeo

too late by all accounts fuck this shit

:(

replacement 360 arrives tomorrow, looks like its poland for me then :mad:

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bdoughty said:
Team Braveheart (Scotland) Gamertag: bdosg

McCulloch, McCulloch, McCulloch

braveheart460.jpg

that is truly brave

btw i set the league max to 12 and ppl can join even after games have been played so there should be room for everyone

bdoughty

Banned
Good matches today Astro. Scotland might be brave but against the French we could have used some speed and offense. It said I had a whopping 0 shots on goal. Had a few outside the box but most of the time was spent chasing you down and playing keep away.

France 1 Scotland 0

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol yeah it was definitely a grind-it-out dogfight in that rain. was relieved to net one toward the end.

woodchuck

when the person you just played on a league match shows up in a quick ranked search, thats when you know no one plays this game

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
when the person you just played on a league match shows up in a quick ranked search, thats when you know no one plays this game

hm that's weird i've played dozens of different people in the 50 or so games i've played. maybe run into the same person once or twice. then again i usually play euro cup rather than just regular quickplay (when not playing with friends, which is what I do 80% of the time) so maybe that's the reason. In Euro cup it usually says there are 100+ people playing at any given time.

edit: fyi i think most of the people playing online are in euro cup--weights points by skill of team, etc. it's just a better mode for random play.

woodchuck

god damn.

chrisgoldstein is a really good dribbler. i cant do any of those fancy moves yet. torres and villa are beasts.

is there any way to tell the keeper not to come out of goal?

also, what are the best settings for you guys?

im using this right now:

classic analog
passing - semi
through pass - assisted
shot - semi

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
god damn.

chrisgoldstein is a really good dribbler. i cant do any of those fancy moves yet. torres and villa are beasts.

is there any way to tell the keeper not to come out of goal?

also, what are the best settings for you guys?

im using this right now:

classic analog
passing - semi
through pass - assisted
shot - semi

That's pretty much what I use. Not sure if it's "classic analog" or not though--whichever one is just like PES (RT to run, X to shoot).

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Watch out for woodchuck he's real good, i got lucky....it was just a coincidence we played again in that ranked match.....there's usually lots of people playing in the ranked matches, i hardly run into the same people.

i use shot - semi
passing - auto ---tried semi a lot but sometimes it feels too buttery, idk
thru - auto
lob - auto
auto swithching - about 3 notches to the right...less than half
i set my defensive line to deep, that usually helps...though against portugal it's tough defending the wings and some thru passes

as for formations i usually use 4-1-2-1-2 unless i cant score in which case i'll alternate between 4-3-3 and it

--oh i use the default controls, i've always played fifa only...b to shoot and right trigger to run

---maybe we can pick the same teams? it would make sense instead of first come first serve, at least until fifa 09 gets here we have lots of good choices

bdoughty

Banned
Where are all the gutsy Gaffers willing to play with a non 4-5 star team? Estonia and the Faroe Islands are still available.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
didn't even know we could do same teams but if so that's fine with me i'll keep a list in the op in case people want to avoid picking a team that's already taken just to keep it interesting. pls list your teams if i haven't put them up yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bdoughty said:
Where are all the gutsy Gaffers willing to play with a non 4-5 star team? Estonia and the Faroe Islands are still available.

:lol I've actually been getting the Euro Cup achievements (win with a team of every rank) but every time I beat someone with a 6 or 7 seed they quit before I can get the achievement. Take your loss to Montenegro like a man, damn it!

Another reason why Euro Cup mode is the best--people use a wide variety of teams to get the achievements and/or more points for their wins (single win w/ Montenegro>winning the cup with Spain points-wise).

bdoughty

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
How well does this play online? Is the gameplay better than FIFA '08?

EDIT: I don't have an X360.

Online is great on the 360. Gameplay is better than Fifa 08. Fifa 09 is starting to look like the creation of crack on a stick.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
bdoughty said:
Online is great on the 360. Gameplay is better than Fifa 08. Fifa 09 is starting to look like the creation of crack on a stick.
I guess I will pick up the PS3 version of '09. Have fun guys!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bdoughty said:

i don't know if i've ever played a smoother-running lag-free online sports game. vs. random people maybe get lag once or twice a game, vs. gaffers maybe once every three games. like the way the rare lag is handled too--it just sort of pauses the game while the connection issues get sorted (1-2 secs).

definitely beats pes's method of just apparently having each person play their own little game while the connection is fixed (which would often let you score a goal and celebrate before you somehow randomly came back into the game and found the other side driving at your goal and no goal credited to you :lol).

bdoughty

Banned
Anyone up for some matches tonight? I have to drive to Dallas for business and will be gone until at earliest Friday night.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
i'm working late because my coworker is on vacatiion but i will be on after like 830 eastern, so yeah most definitely....bdoughty, dude i think it gave you a loss for that 2nd match IDK why since we didnt even start it....so idk if Astro can reset it since he's admin.

bdoughty

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
i'm working late because my coworker is on vacatiion but i will be on after like 830 eastern, so yeah most definitely....bdoughty, dude i think it gave you a loss for that 2nd match IDK why since we didnt even start it....so idk if Astro can reset it since he's admin.

Maybe it was predicting the inevitable. :lol

We never even went past the opening challenge screen so yes, I only have one loss to Chris (Spain) so far.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
bdoughty said:
Maybe it was predicting the inevitable. :lol

We never even went past the opening challenge screen so yes, I only have one loss to Chris (Spain) so far.

funniest thing i heard yesterday, to paraphrase : 'so you're from colombia eh? is that the country that lost to the us in the world cup, and killed the player for an own goal? '

i think i said something along the lines of ' he deserved it '

LOL

AndresON777

shooting blanks
bdoughty said:
Of course I did add that your country was still more level headed than Nintendo and Obama fans. :D

yeah you made me laugh pretty hard man, almost didnt score in both games...and the 2nd game went to pk's.

although i did vote for obama in the primary in georgia, and i have a wii....but in my defense it's my first nintendo console since the nes.....(old sega fanboy)

woodchuck

good games bdoughty. it's pretty evident that portugal was too fast for scotland. you got pretty unlucky on couple of my goals.

bdoughty

Banned
You too, enjoyed each of the games. I really need to work on building up my offense. You gave Austria a nice butt kicking in the exhibition proving that I still have a ways to go.

Do you ever use the headset? Not a big deal just wondering.

woodchuck

haha. one of the forwards for Slovakia would always come up with the ball in 50-50 situations.

i have a mic. i need to find it though.

Fifty

Woodchuck, you want a game now? It's probably too late for you but PM me if you're able to play tomorrow night at least. I'm not one to just hop on and hope that someone's available to play, since I don't play random (non-gaf) people in sports games often..so it'd be great if we could set stuff up in advance. If anyone has AIM that'd be cool too, but I don't want to post my AIM name in the thread.

woodchuck

Fifty- maybe tomorrow

Astrolad- I definitely did not deserve that victory. you hit the post from close range couple of times.

also, i need to stop turning the ball over in my own half.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
good games, my defense has lots of holes in it...all you have to do is score an early goal, and it throws off my game completely. I pick spain for a reason i always choke when it counts, like in quarters or whatever...i'm only good in the group stage.

But it's awesome having a league, and not just playing random people you dont know.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
kobashi100 said:
guys i will add myself after footy tonight. I will choose croatia.

Anticon, Astro's bro has Croatia....I think you can pick the same team, thought I'd let you know though...Italy is still available and Germany I think, and the fake EA dutch team (damn you Konami!!!!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ChrisGoldstein said:
Anticon, Astro's bro has Croatia....I think you can pick the same team, thought I'd let you know though...Italy is still available and Germany I think, and the fake EA dutch team (damn you Konami!!!!)

:lol I knew I forgot to add someone to the OP. fifty is using holland fwiw. Italy Germany England and a bunch of other teams not taken by anyone yet. altho as said above feel free to use whomever you want just listing out who's been picked in case you don't want to have the same team as someone else.

Fifty

I can play then, if no one else has said yes yet.. Or if you're busy and anyone else wants to play, PM me.

Top Bottom