• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Euro 2008 "gaf" League of Extraordinary Floppers

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I'll send you a friend request Che Robinho, my gamertag is AndresON777...i like playing exibition matches better, at least until the league fills up but i'll play league games too.

Fifty

woodchuck said:
alright. ill get on live at 7

Sounds good. Don't worry about not having a mic since I don't plan on using mine (it's kind of broken, and I've found there's hardly any talk in most league games) in league games

Fifty

This is fucked up. I literally can't start a game with woodchuck. We both enter the lobby but at the teams screen A does nothing. I'm guessing it might be a compatibility issue with routers, as that's happened in previous NBA and Madden leagues with people. I can try unplugging my router and going straight to the 360. It's annoying, and it's not particularly my fault..but this is the only thing I can think of.

woodchuck

thats weird. i know theres a list of routers that dont work well with xbox live. i had a friend who had the same problem. does it have something to do with the NAT?

Fifty

Well in NBA 2K and Madden certain people would have that problem with certain other people. It's probably just something between my router and his. Annoying but not the end of the world.

We played 2 games and I got shut out both games...as Holland. I'll say you did a good job, but I also feel like I played like shit. The more I play online (not that I've played that much, see my 20 k points to your 80k) the less technically sound my game seems to be. My passing was atrocious, so many dumb turnovers and a lack of creativity and I made the same mistakes on D as I usually do.

We both came close in game 1 but there were so few shots..I had more in game 2 (which I lost 0-2), but the quality of them was so low. The one redeeming moment for me was that horrible choke job by C.Ronaldo on an OPEN NET in the 90th minute..although watch it just have been the ultimate act of sportsmanship as you didn't want to embarrass me even more.

I've got to play more single player. I did in the first 3-5 days of getting the game but then I just stopped. Some might say that it's not the same as facing a real person but at least it'll teach me patience and to not be totally retarded on offense.

Again, I'm not putting down your game, just my own ;)

woodchuck

yeah, in the beginning of the first match, you had a great chance after you took the ball away from me in the box. shooting will still take some time to get used to.

yeah. i played fifa08 a lot. the 80,000 pts carried over from that. unfortunately, i still don't know how to dribble and move with the ball well unless i'm cristiano ronaldo.

i also noticed that most of your shots came from the wings. based on past experience from Fifa08, it's generally tough to get a goal from those angles. But if you try to center the ball with a low cross, the defender AI sucks, and you can get a goal that way a lot easier.

also, like chris mentioned earlier, i set my back line to "deep". that makes it a lot harder to score on.

but honestly, i think we should have everything set to default to make the game more interesting.

Fifty

woodchuck said:
yeah, in the beginning of the first match, you had a great chance after you took the ball away from me in the box. shooting will still take some time to get used to.

Funnily enough, that was my best chance of either game and it came solely because of luck. I was holding X to get the AI to attack on D, and as is likely to happen with me, the defender got the ball and proceeded to 'shoot' it downfield..and that crazy-dumb shot resulted in the 'pass'

i also noticed that most of your shots came from the wings. based on past experience from Fifa08, it's generally tough to get a goal from those angles. But if you try to center the ball with a low cross, the defender AI sucks, and you can get a goal that way a lot easier.

Yeah, I'm still working out what the best formation for me is. It's tricky because I have almost too many great strikers. I think their ratings are 81,82,86,87,87 and two of them have insane speed and two are great at finishing. The default for NE is a 4-3-3 but something like a 4-3-2-1 like how they really play is what I'm trying to move into.

I really wish the game would let you individually move players' positions on the pitch in the formations screen, like in WE, rather than just having to use their presets. It can't be that hard to add that simple feature.

woodchuck

Fifty said:
F

I really wish the game would let you individually move players' positions on the pitch in the formations screen, like in WE, rather than just having to use their presets. It can't be that hard to add that simple feature.

are you sure it doesnt let you do that? fifa08 lets you do that

woodchuck

so is there fatigue at all online?

in fifa 08, fatigue actually mattered. but i just played 90 min with Belarus, and no one was tired

Fifty

You have to press A on a player's name for all of the fatigue changes to show up in the menu. It's really dumb, I think it's a bug. But even when it does show, with short games they don't get that tired. I do like (coming from Winning Eleven) that the R-trigger stamina bar's maximum goes down the more you use it, so subbing a fresh guy in late could have some obvious benefits.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
i think the fatigue is more of a factor in this game, i could hold down r trigger all game in fifa 08 and the guys wouldnt get tired, now i have to go slower and pace my game. i didnt play last night i was doing nothing but gears of war, i'm hooked on that game again....mustve been that trailer for part 2.

sounds like some intense matches though, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gg woodchuck another grueling battle altho you should have won imo.

where the hell is everyone else :p ah well at least we've got 5 consistent folks

woodchuck

yeah, it was a pretty even match. i need to work on my PKs. All of yours seemed to be unstoppable even if the goalie guesses correctly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
yeah, it was a pretty even match. i need to work on my PKs. All of yours seemed to be unstoppable even if the goalie guesses correctly.

pretty much just charge around halfway--i think that makes them a bit crisper although those will miss a higher %. pretty sure in the game they just count pks as ties anyway so they're more or less worthless (even more so) though the system is definitely much better than pes imo.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
the pk's in uefa have improved greatly over fifa 08, i lost tons of ranked matches because of pk's, the goalies were too good in 08

AndresON777

shooting blanks
i've been working a lot but starting tomorrow i will be on a lot and look forward to playing yall, i want to play as turkey one game too,,,,vs germany.......lol

woodchuck

i just scored my best goal ever online

i was Romania vs France. I was passing the ball around France's third when i did a one-two lob through pass and the guy volleyed it into the goal. it was amazing

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah i cant fix results afaik the game just hangs up occasionally where no one can do anything-annoying.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
yeah I had the game freeze at halftime the other day during a ranked match and i stayed on it for like 20 minutes, then i went back to the dashboard and it gave me the loss.

---but it's all good not like we're playing for money lol, are there playoffs too? after the season? that'd be sweet, although I'll prolly choke

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AstroLad said:
what are you 7-0 with no goals allowed? geez man

LOL it's been lucky, me and Woodchuck prolly woulda tied the last game but it froze and it gave me the win.

we'll play tonight if you want i'll be home late, working the night shift. *sigh* 11-ish eastern

woodchuck

the thing got stuck at the loading screen. maybe tomorrow? im going to sleep now.

and jesus christ. does david villa have magnets attracted toward the ball? it seems like he ends up with every loose ball or deflection.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
you played great with the dutch, good passing. It threw off my game completely, I'm used to having possession most of the time. those early goals kill my 'joga bonito' showboating. you deserved to win both games, but I do a lot of penalties....so I'm used to them, and got lucky in the first game. but yeah we'll play later today, intense matches. the next league will prolly be a lot tighter, as our skills develop more.

bdoughty

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
the next league will prolly be a lot tighter, as our skills develop more.

I was kinda hoping your skills would plateau or even drop a bit, lord help us if they develop. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We should try to get together for some games tonight maybe. Looks like there are about 5-6 active players and maybe a couple people who just joined the league but don't really play. I too am scared of how good some of you have gotten.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
bdoughty said:
I was kinda hoping your skills would plateau or even drop a bit, lord help us if they develop. :D

:D

Nah I play too many shooters and that always messes up my football game. I have to just play one game to specialize in and I cant do that I get bored.

---but you played real good with Italy man, I mean with Scotland you have no strikers so it's impossible, almost, to score goals. And you just need to not slide tackle in the box because I do flop quite a bit....but only in the box. :D

bdoughty

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
And you just need to not slide tackle in the box because I do flop quite a bit....but only in the box. :D

I really really do need to stop that. Seem to recall doing that two or three times last night against Woodchuck. One time in the 118th minute of a 0-0 game. I wish I was joking but it happened.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I know you map your buttons to match pro evo but just use the other tackle button, it's b on the regular control scheme. Also using the left trigger along with it to lock in works well. I only ever slide to block a shot in the box but i dont go for the player, or sometimes it's good but only on rare occasions. I'll be playing later today and tomorrow I started playing COD4 again and got hooked once again.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
damn this game is so frustrating some times, some days I just totally suck...but it's also the sweetest when you win...i guess like real soccer, damn

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
so yeah, is the league basically dead?

:lol is what it has always been, just a small group of gaffers. I know you, fifty, me, chris, and bdoughty still play at least pretty regularly so that's 5/8 right there. My brother's 360 destroyed his game so I think he's still trying to get that sorted, and I think the other two people are from England? To be fair the league interface is so basic and clunky that it really doesn't allow for it to be too much more than a friends list; hope that gets fixed in FIFA 09 so we can have a true league a la WE9 (minus all the work it took for us to put that together and maintain).

I'm always up for a game, glitches and all I still love it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
It's good practice either way, I guess with the UEFA euro tourny being over it's not as exciting....but I'm down for a game although my internet (dsl *sigh*) has been acting up recently.

Top Bottom