• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFO 50 - an Action 52-like

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
UFO 50 is a collection of 50 single and multiplayer games from the creators of Spelunky, Downwell, and Catacomb Kids. Explore a variety of genres, from platformers and shoot 'em ups to puzzle games, roguelites, and RPGs. Our goal is to combine a familiar 8-bit aesthetic with new ideas and modern game design.

This thing has been in the making for 7 years and it comes out in 2 days, haven't seen any threads about it so I figured I could make one.

Anybody else getting it? I might bite if the price is right, loved both Spelunky and Downwell and this should be good fuel for the Steam Deck.
It's also worth noting that those aren't just minigames, but actual full games including a JRPG.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's insane how somebody out there had the idea of taking Action 52 and trying to make it good. Like tf????

It feels like this game is the result of a bet that somebody lost.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
neat something GIF

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
My most anticipated game, a definite day 1 buy, and I have a feeling it'll be near the top of my GOTY list.

Crazy reviews so far, too:

EDGE: 9
The result, though, is the feeling that every advance, however minor, is pushing towards some overall total, in a way strangely akin to an Ubisoft's completion percentage. In fact, that's how we come to think of this library: as a kind of flattened-out open world, its many diversions not hidden over the horizon but constantly within reach. Just as in an Assassin's Creed or Far Cry, each activity is enlivened by the knowledge that you have chosen to do it right now, out of many alternative options available in every other direction. So when one does hold your undivided attention for an extended span, it must be something special indeed. And of those, UFO 50 has more than its fair share.

Eurogamer: 5/5
How unexpected. And how valuable. This is what 50 games will get you, then. The surprise of it: a premise that seems to be all scrolling and endless variation and swiping for something new, is actually about the pleasures of ignoring everything except for this one glittering thing that's in front of you right now. UFO 50's an improbably rangy confection that's secretly absolutely all about focus.

PCGamer: 83
The way the collection encourages me to casually flit around its well-crafted delights virtually guaranteed I'd "discover" something new every time I played for nearly a full week. The reliable quality and raw inventiveness of it all makes me wish UFO 50's treasures weren't quite so well hidden.

Digital Trends: 4.5/5
UFO 50 will remind you why you fell in love with video games in the first place.

Siliconera: 9
We've called out a few examples, but we're making a point not to explain absolutely everything, because a lot of the joy of UFO 50 is stumbling upon and exploring a new game. It's best approached as a goodie bag, with discovery and learning through playing as its key tenets. The difficulty is perhaps a bit higher than we'd like in spots for some of the games, but overall it really is a can't-miss release.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This thing has been in the making for 7 years and it comes out in 2 days, haven't seen any threads about it so I figured I could make one.

Anybody else getting it? I might bite if the price is right, loved both Spelunky and Downwell and this should be good fuel for the Steam Deck.
It's also worth noting that those aren't just minigames, but actual full games including a JRPG.

Wow I thought this was out already. Wasn't this announced ages ago. Before spelunky 2 even

amigastar

Looks interesting.
91 on MC right now

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So, anybody else playing this?

I've only played 2 games but so far, it's pretty cool. They come in "chronological order", so the first game is like the oldest of the bunch. I like it, it's a simple metroidvania with tons of secrets and barely any clues of what to do.

ufo-50-barbuta-standing-on-the-edge-above-spikes.jpg

Also tried Valbrace, a dungeon crawler with a neat battle system that kinda reminds me of Punch-out.

fAcFGr0.jpeg

So far this game seems to have a lot of quality, and between the amount of games and their "classic" difficulty, I can see myself playing this for quite a long time.

Last edited:

calistan

So, anybody else playing this?

I've only played 2 games but so far, it's pretty cool. They come in "chronological order", so the first game is like the oldest of the bunch. I like it, it's a simple metroidvania with tons of secrets and barely any clues of what to do.

ufo-50-barbuta-standing-on-the-edge-above-spikes.jpg

Also tried Valbrace, a dungeon crawler with a neat battle system that kinda reminds me of Punch-out.

fAcFGr0.jpeg

So far this game seems to have a lot of quality, and between the amount of games and their "classic" difficulty, I can see myself playing this for quite a long time.
I’m really looking forward to playing this. Out at the cinema at the moment so I can’t download it 🥶

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I've been playing this like crazy since yesterday, and the quality of everything I've tried has been incredibly high. This is a must-buy and maybe the best game this year. These really are full-fledged NES-ish games with the lessons from decades of game design applied, from creators at the peak of their powers. I'm convinced most of these would be megahits if something like them released back in the 80s.

They're tough as hell, though. I've only "finished" Party House so far, and only because I have lots of experience with this type of strategy game from the tabletop world.

I know there have been lots of reviews of UFO 50, but comparatively few for the underlying games themselves. I'm looking forward to hearing people's thoughts once they dig into this (Game Design Toolkit would be awesome); there's a hell of a lot of brilliant design to dig into.

This looks cool…but man, that thread title needs a bit of work 😂. I kid I kid…kind of lol

Especially for someone who doesn’t know about Action 52, which was me before I had to search.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

This looks cool…but man, that thread title needs a bit of work 😂. I kid I kid…kind of lol

Especially for someone who doesn’t know about Action 52, which was me before I had to search.
OT title made you learn something new! Can't get much better than that. :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom