• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmmV

Not to mention how much more difficult life will be for Abbott. Imagine having a constant stream of people telling you that you shouldn't have your job or worse, imagine the toll that would take on your mental health, and yet she's kept going for 30 years. The amount of strength that has to take is incredible, and I will always show absolute solidarity with her

I have a lot of sympathy for Abbot, but in all honesty a lot of the stuff she says is pretty hard to defend.

Most of the time if I defend her its because what she has said doesn't warrant the level/type of abuse it gets in response

Of course she would. Politicians are in the game to be as close to the top of pyramid as possible, they all that power, influence and prestige. None of them really give a shit about changing the world, maybe they did when they were first starting out but not after 30 years of playing the game. They're all soulless husks, even the good ones (probably).

Jesus. And I thought I was cynical...

The notion that Theresa May was a "bad" Home Secretary is laughable.

If you disagree with her policies then that is one thing, but she lasted the longest in that job - considered the hardest to do in Westminster - for anyone since the 1800s. She failed on the immigration cap - but that wasn't her target, it was Cameron's and she always argued it was impossible given EU migration.

There were no notable terrorist attacks in her time at the helm and she was never caught up in any large scandals.

She is only the 2nd of Home Secretaries to become the PM since WW2, amazing given it is regarded as the 2nd/3rd highest tier job in politics (chancellor might be higher).

If there is such a thing as a politician being "good" in these incredibly partisan times, then surely this is the best example possible.

Here is a video on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-35107297/why-has-may-lasted-as-home-secretary

_70647873_70647872.jpg

nitronite

If you disagree with her policies then that is one thing, but she lasted the longest in that job - considered the hardest to do in Westminster - for anyone since the 1800s. She failed on the immigration cap - but that wasn't her target, it was Cameron's and she always argued it was impossible given EU migration.

There were no notable terrorist attacks in her time at the helm and she was never caught up in any large scandals.

She is only the 2nd of Home Secretaries to become the PM since WW2, amazing given it is regarded as the 2nd/3rd highest tier job in politics (chancellor might be higher).

If there is such a thing as a politician being "good" in these incredibly partisan times, then surely this is the best example possible.

Here is a video on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-35107297/why-has-may-lasted-as-home-secretary

Look, you can take the piss out of any politician's accomplishments. I think life is too short to be upset over a couple of joking posts making fun of an absurdly often repeated campaign slogan.

Meadows

Banned
Look, you can take the piss out of any politician's accomplishments. I think life is too short to be upset over a couple of joking posts making fun of an absurdly often repeated campaign slogan.

It was in response to the below post.

Our Home Secretary was Theresa fucking May.

Abbott is a mess and could also have a problem with alcohol (as does half of Westminster) - but I'm still not sure she would be worse than May.

suedester

Banned

Good luck getting a non-partisan appraisal of Theresa May in this thread. You will just be faced with Cunt, witch, strong and stable and cruella deville.

PJV3

Meadows I don't think hanging around is much of a useful gauge, Cameron just didn't move people unless he was really forced to.

During the labour years nobody seemed to stay in a position long and Cameron thought it created unnecessary instability, he's probably right.

She did well with the Jordan negotiations, getting them to drop torture based evidence, so I'm not claiming she's completely incapable or anything.

Meadows

Banned
Good luck getting a non-partisan appraisal of Theresa May in this thread. You will just be faced with Cunt, witch, strong and stable and cruella deville.

Yeah I am pretty close to giving up tbh, this UK poligaf has been such an echo chamber for the left in the last few years that any dissenting opinions or posts are treated with hostility.

This is crazy to me considering I am not a right-winger. I just wish people had more critical thinking beyond everything left = good, everything right = evil.

Faddy

Banned

Most of those "accomplishments" you list have nothing to do with her.

She was a bad Home Secretary, her record is terrible. Tories promised sub 100,000 net migration, she couldn't even get non-EU migration below that level. She was the 2nd Home Secretary to be held in contempt of court because she refused to follow a legal ruling. The Snoopers charter, attacks on encryption, retention of Web history were all strikes at personal freedom. Racist vans driving round telling immigrants to go home. Attempting to pull Britain out of the Human Rights Act.

So I would not call Theresa May a good politician

Meadows

Banned

She was a bad Home Secretary, her record is terrible. Tories promised sub 100,000 net migration, she couldn't even get non-EU migration below that level. She was the 2nd Home Secretary to be held in contempt of court because she refused to follow a legal ruling. The Snoopers charter, attacks on encryption, retention of Web history were all strikes at personal freedom. Racist vans driving round telling immigrants to go home. Attempting to pull Britain out of the Human Rights Act.

As I've said, the 100k cap was never something that May argued for. It was reported frequently that she protested this was impossible behind closed doors while freedom of movement continued.

I have to admit I am ignorant on the contempt of court matter. The bolded is your opinion, not a reflection of a "bad" politician. I strongly disagree with these policies, but they do not reflect on her capabilities.

Oh, OK.

Sorry about that.

Hope you're having a nice day!

No problem! I'm having a very nice day thank you. The weather is great here in Manchester.

Jezbollah

Yeah I am pretty close to giving up tbh, this UK poligaf has been such an echo chamber for the left in the last few years that any dissenting opinions or posts are treated with hostility.

This is crazy to me considering I am not a right-winger. I just wish people had more critical thinking beyond everything left = good, everything right = evil.

It's quite funny that I've seen UKPoliGAF called a "Tory bearpit" a few months ago :)

Spaghetti

How quickly we forget on some of these issues.

As another poster said, sticking around through a parliament isn't exactly a good barometer for good or bad; rather just the ability to keep your head down enough not to get it lopped off.

It's not particularly partisan to be concerned by some of the things she's signed off on as Home Secretary.

Faddy

Banned
As I've said, the 100k cap was never something that May argued for. It was reported frequently that she protested this was impossible behind closed doors while freedom of movement continued.

I have to admit I am ignorant on the contempt of court matter. The bolded is your opinion, not a reflection of a "bad" politician. I strongly disagree with these policies, but they do not reflect on her capabilities.

No problem! I'm having a very nice day thank you. The weather is great here in Manchester.

If she was incapable of changing these policies was she just a rubber stamp?

What is apparent is that Theresa May has no moral courage and no guiding principles. She argued for staying in the EU with factual and logical arguments about economy and security. now she is happy to throw those out for UKIP hard Brexit because it is the easiest thing for her to do.

She survived at the top because she took the path of least resistance. She only became PM because the brexiteers imploded.

Showaddy

And the fact she oversaw the shredding of Police Forces across the UK in favour of incompetent private security firms. In London the Tories seem to be happy to shift the rising crime rates onto Sadiq Khan funnily enough.

She was responsible for sweeping the large scale abuse of refugee women and children at Yarl's Wood under the carpet. If you don't regard that as a large scandal or as a mark of being a bad Home Secretary then that says quite a lot about you as a person.

suedester

Banned

Yeah, a hint of dissenting opinion and the pile in starts. Better to read and occasionally post or more often than not roll your eyes.

Meadows

Banned
She was responsible for sweeping the large scale abuse of refugee women and children at Yarl's Wood under the carpet. If you don't regard that as a large scandal or as a mark of being a bad Home Secretary then that says quite a lot about you as a person.

No Home Secretary goes six years without something horrible happening.

What happened there is horrific, but when your entire brief is "stuff running well generally in the country" there is a lot that can go wrong.

Also shoutout for saying I'm a bad person. Cheers.

nitronite

What happened there is horrific, but when your entire brief is "stuff running well generally in the country" there is a lot that can go wrong.

That sounds like something a bad person would say...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious now to see if Labours manifesto goes down with the public. I think it's such a positive version of the UK and really what we need now with brexit looming.

I also wonder how this shapes Labour going forward. Reports today that a lot of this is what Ed wanted to do but wasn't brave enough. Maybe Labour need a clearer position like this to work with.

*Splinter

Yeah, a hint of dissenting opinion and the pile in starts. Better to read and occasionally post or more often than not roll your eyes.
If you feel your side of the argument is underrepresented then not posting only exacerbates that issue.

I don't deny there are a small number of posters who can be overly aggressive and stifle discussion, but I think I speak for the majority when I say that I would prefer these threads to have more dissenting opinions, not less.

I mean we have posters resorting to playing Devil's Advocate just so the "other side" can be heard, so I'm not denying there is a problem.

PJV3

Come on, it's not really a pile on like the US political threads, it's just a lack of Tory posters, probably because the result is in the bag.

hodgy100

you're the one projecting there dude. he doesnt say you are a bad person. He's merely stating that you are gloss over some of the shit May has pulled :/

if you think that makes you a bad person, then thats you introspecting.

Meadows

Banned
If you feel your side of the argument is underrepresented then not posting only exacerbates that issue.

I don't deny there are a small number of posters who can be overly aggressive and stifle discussion, but I think I speak for the majority when I say that I would prefer these threads to have more dissenting opinions, not less.

You say that, but it is very tough. It's kind of crazy because it's not like I'm saying Trump will be good for America, advocating the BNP, or supporting Le Pen, I'm a dead centrist.

But even with this, I hesitate every time I post because I'll be on the end of personal attacks. There are some posters with superb reasoning that I learn a lot from but others are so caught up in their ideology that they take it as an affront to humanity when you post an opposing view.

Well your hat does have skulls on it...

...are...we the baddies?

you're the one projecting there dude. he doesnt say you are a bad person.

Sorry, should have taken it for the compliment it was

Faddy

Banned

Yet just a couple of posts ago

So she was unfortunate that something horrible happened on her watch. But if she has good fortune like no terror attacks, then she gets credit?

You're putting a lot of energy into burnishing the reputation of a racist, rape-enabling maggot like May

you're the one projecting there dude. he doesnt say you are a bad person. He's merely stating that you are gloss over some of the shit May has pulled :/

if you think that makes you a bad person, then thats you introspecting.

I was heavily implying it

Meadows

Banned
Yet just a couple of posts ago

So she was unfortunate that something horrible happened on her watch. But if she has good fortune like no terror attacks, then she gets credit?

Sorry missed your post.

That was not a major scandal. It is the poor running of one facility, not the poor running of all facilities.

If you understand my perspective, the success of a Home Sec is measured in how much they didn't fuck up, as there's no real positive impact they can make as their brief is "keeping things running well".

A major scandal would - as I measure it - be something like what is currently going on in NI regarding Arlene Foster. Nothing that big happened under her.

Not saying it was intended as a complement. for the record i dont think you are a bad person, i dont think many people do. They just disagree with your view on May.

I think elevating the ability to stay in the job over the disgusting things she did while in office when it comes to evaluating her performance is extremely morally questionable

Sorry missed your post.

That was not a major scandal. It is the poor running of one facility, not the poor running of all facilities.

If you understand my perspective, the success of a Home Sec is measured in how much they didn't fuck up, as there's no real positive impact they can make as their brief is "keeping things running well".

A major scandal would - as I measure it - be something like what is currently going on in NI regarding Arlene Foster. Nothing that big happened under her.

You're talking about the sexual abuse of hundreds of women as if it was a minor operational problem, and less critical than a scandal over energy subsidies. What the fuck

Maledict

Meh, there's no point having a politics thread if people use it to just bash and put down others. Like it or not the only way labour can win an election is by persuading people w ho voted conservative in 2010 and 2015 to now vote labour - that's the only mathematical solution. You won't ever accomplish that by calling those voters racist evil murders who hate disabled people.

All it does is shut down conversation and ultimately ensure labour won't ever win. So you get a quick thrill from shouting at someone, but ultimately you don't accomplish anything and actually harm what you are trying to do in the long run.

Theresa May isn't Donald Tump, or Erdogan, or Putin. There's plenty of legitimate room to criticsse her, without feeling the need to question other people's morals or behaviour.

Meh, there's no point having a politics thread if people use it to just bash and put down others. Like it or not the only way labour can win an election is by persuading people w ho voted conservative in 2010 and 2015 to now vote labour - that's the only mathematical solution. You won't ever accomplish that by calling those voters racist evil murders who hate disabled people.

...you honestly don't think downplaying mass sexual abuse is something to be criticised on a moral level?

TimmmV

I'm really curious now to see if Labours manifesto goes down with the public. I think it's such a positive version of the UK and really what we need now with brexit looming.

I also wonder how this shapes Labour going forward. Reports today that a lot of this is what Ed wanted to do but wasn't brave enough. Maybe Labour need a clearer position like this to work with.

Does anyone aside from politics nerds like us actually read the manifestos?

Theonik

But the majority of UK migration is from outside the EU. Also, like the poster you replied to pointed out, she was completely unable to lower non-EU migration bellow that threshold. Which was bad policy in the first place but let's leave that aside for now.

hodgy100

whenever i speak to Tory voters i try to make it personal to them.

Sometimes we have mutual friends that have / will be hit hard by the cuts to disability.

I tried to convince my own father by pointing out that he has to take 3 months off work due to stress after his council job was trying to make him do the job of 2-3 people due to cuts in funding. He doesnt see the link to that with him voting conservative, but I tried i guess :(

Zaph

It was in response to the below post.

Wait, your response to me was that she hung around? During an absolutely laughable period of politics where her peers were the likes of Jeremy Hunt and their main issue was UKIP? Oh, and no major terrorist attacks? She's a nasty, racist cretin who only desires power.

You're posting that while at the same time playing the no discourse/echo chamber left card? lol pull the other one mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom