• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 'has stripped 150 jihadists and criminals of citizenship'

Audioboxer

I don't like the idea of having different classes of citizenship.

This was a big issue in Canada a while ago.

It's not different classes. It's having citizenship or not having it.

They're essentially committing treason and then returning with the intention to cause harm/violence/further radicalisation. When they're successful "everyone" in the country is saying RIP victims and this is terrible the Government didn't do enough. Now that the Government is doing something proactive and in proportion to these individuals disregard for a country that welcomed them in, it's slippery slope fallacies and acting like this is simply petty/ordinary crime by some.

I really don't get the obsession with it always being the problem of the secondary country to deal with terrorism. It's about time some of these countries where the terrorists are from take responsibility for citizens originally born on their soil and stop refusing to take them back. As many will say we take responsibility when it's our homegrown terrorists, and in this instance we are not making anyone stateless. If you fight in wars against the country you have a citizenship and then you also have the intention to blow up, stab, vehicle ram or commit conspiracy to terrorist acts within the country you deserve the harshest legal penalty possible. With those that have dual citizenship that should be revoking your privelege to say you are a UK citizen. It's the 0.01% of severe dual nationality extremists this will effect. Not citizens who are only UK born.

dumbo

Like I said earlier in the thread, if it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt someone joined a terrorist group willingly I don't see what's wrong with making them stateless, either that or increase sentences for joining those groups to life.

As far as I know, one of the practical purposes of a passport is so that "if the bearer causes trouble, you can deport them". If you rescind a passport whilst a citizen is in another country, it means other countries can't trust your passports. (not a problem with dual-nationality as they can be deported to the other country. With single-nationality you're creating a big problem).

In a similar manner, if you strip someone of their only passport in the UK, what the hell do you do with them? No country is going to willingly allow them across their borders. Do we get into a crazy situation whereby "the UK government smuggles them into France, and the French government smuggles them back again?"

Top Bottom