• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While whoever is in charge of FB's design department should probably have a swift kick to the bollocks, the one good thing about the timeline is that it allowed me to see that my complete FB history was private.

While whoever is in charge of FB's design department should probably have a swift kick to the bollocks, the one good thing about the timeline is that it allowed me to see that my complete FB history was private.

How do you do that? I'd love to lockdown everything pre-2011 and just keep the more recent stuff, if that's even possible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How do you do that? I'd love to lockdown everything pre-2011 and just keep the more recent stuff, if that's even possible.

Well when I say private I mean it isn't visible to the general public. Friends can still see it.

But you do have the option to hide things from the timeline and if you posted it yourself you can click the little gear and choose the 'only me' option.

daviyoung

Banned
Oh yeh! Mrs Dave is here, now the party can start.

bale2.gif

Looks like I'm late, as ever.

SKINNER!

Banned

uugh, that's just horrible. and shame on you Kanye. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was outstanding stuff. Do more of that!!

Are you any good? :p Think Kent would be up for Chess at the Scot-GAF meet up? Damn that would be some depressingly boring shit.

Kent's into Wu-Tang so yes, it's safe to say that he'll be up for a game of chess. Not sure what his rules of chess are though. Capture a pawn? take a swig. Capture a Knight/Bishop/Rook? smoke a blunt. Capture the Queen? snort a line. Checkmate? Put all drugs in a blender and down it.

and no, I'm not that great at Chess. Can't think of the next move let alone 5 moves ahead and the only special moves (lol, SF talk) I know are Castling and En Passe.

Privacy settings --> Limit the Audience for Past Posts.

Might be a few things worth checking on the Timeline and Tagging part too.

I've just been timelined too. Took me ages to think up a decent cover photo.

Seanbob11

uugh, that's just horrible. and shame on you Kanye. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was outstanding stuff. Do more of that!!

Kent's into Wu-Tang so yes, it's safe to say that he'll be up for a game of chess. Not sure what his rules of chess are though. Capture a pawn? take a swig. Capture a Knight/Bishop/Rook? smoke a blunt. Capture the Queen? snort a line. Checkmate? Put all drugs in a blender and down it.

and no, I'm not that great at Chess. Can't think of the next move let alone 5 moves ahead and the only special moves (lol, SF talk) I know are Castling and En Passe.

We can play this, more up his street probably:

Although your rules do sound far more crazy and fun

SmokyDave

What a lovely morning chaps and chapesses!

Happy Friday.

Oh my.

The Duck-approved Facebook method:

You don't put personal shit on there at all. You upload three photos of yourself, tops, then just use it to oraganise events and network. Social networks are tools, and you need the tool that is the industry standard. Right now, that's Facebook. Eventually some new hot shit will replace it.

Don't get "sucked in" by following drama or even posting updates. Just use it to connect.

P.S. Musha is stalking you.
I do try and adhere to a similar set of rules but the some mofo tags me in a pic or 'checks me in' and it's all for nowt. The service makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Suairyu

Banned
Loofy showed up! The anti-social contingency is in my thread!

While we all celebrate that new law, please spare a moment to point out terrible such people are.

I do try and adhere to a similar set of rules but the some mofo tags me in a pic or 'checks me in' and it's all for nowt. The service makes me feel really uncomfortable.
You can un-tag yourself from everything, including "check ins". You control yourself.

SmokyDave

My new bike is so much fun. I actually look forward to going to work because I get to blat around on the nutty little thing. Another few months of this (and not smoking) and I'll be an Olympian. Or slightly less unfit. We'll see.

You can un-tag yourself from everything, including "check ins". You control yourself.
Yeah, but then I feel like a miserable git. Like I refuse to be associated with my friends or something. Maybe I ought to explain it to 'em and avoid getting tagged in the first place.

Suairyu

Banned
Dave right now you sound like virgin-GAF coming up with excuses as to why they can't simply go out and meet people. Stop being a pussy, man!

o shit, gendered insult!

Not only can you un-tag yourself, but I'm pretty sure you can change your settings so that people can't tag you at all, or at least need your approval for tags. You can be as anonymous as you want on fb.

I promise I won't tag you in anything Dave, and I'll only add you to the Gaf message thread if you want me to.

SmokyDave

Dave right now you sound like virgin-GAF coming up with excuses as to why they can't simply go out and meet people. Stop being a pussy, man!

o shit, gendered insult!

I guess my only 'excuse' is that I fucking hate FB. Everyone I add puts me one step closer to not being able to close the account.

Not only can you un-tag yourself, but I'm pretty sure you can change your settings so that people can't tag you at all, or at least need your approval for tags. You can be as anonymous as you want on fb.

I promise I won't tag you in anything Dave, and I'll only add you to the Gaf message thread if you want me to.
Dagnabbit. I can't do anything from work but I'll add you when I get back. In the meantime, feel free to drool over my P1....

Mikeside

Bleh, I put everything on Facebook.
It would probably worry me if I cared what people thought or who knew what, but I can definitely see why everybody doesn't want to be as transparent.

...occasional drug stories notwithstanding.

Juicy Bob

I've never had a Facebook profile. Not because I'm a sad loner with no life or friends or because I'm some hipster wanker who thinks he's too good for it, it's because I have similar concerns to Dave about having all that info and stuff up there for people to see.

Mr. Sam

Why should I be paranoid about what I put on Facebook? I'm not saying I shouldn't, just wondering. Jealous ex-girlfriends, employers knowing why I really wasn't at work...?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
It's Friday UK GAF. I'm taking the helm this week ;)
What's everyone doing this weekend?

I turn 21 tomorrow so there's plenty of drinking, eating and celebrating planned over the next couple of days and nights.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why should I be paranoid about what I put on Facebook? I'm not saying I shouldn't, just wondering. Jealous ex-girlfriends, employers knowing why I really wasn't at work...?

You should be CONCERNED becuase EVERYONE is SPYING on YOU. They're in yr fb, stealin yr indentities...

I really couldn't give two shits. I don't think I'm important enough for anyone to be searching me anyway, but I would also stand behind anything I say online. Granted, I would PREFER some people not knowing certain things, but if they did find out then I would stand behind it 100%. And if someone's not going to hire me because they can see pictures of me with a beer in my hand, then that's fine, I would not want to work for companies that spy and judge like that.

Suairyu

Banned
These days, if you apply for a job many companies will google you as a matter of course.

But mostly, it's because the more you put on there, the more you get sucked in.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I turn 21 tomorrow so there's plenty of drinking, eating and celebrating planned over the next couple of days and nights.

I'm going to a shitty rock club tonight with my besties. We're gonna get fucked up, dance like tits and laugh at the little kids. Fun!

In case I forget, Happy Birthday for tomorrow! If you remember what you did on your 21st, you're not doing it right.

Tonight I will be making around 180 mini cupcakes for my friend's wedding tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be attending said wedding, where I also have to do a reading. Not bricking it at all :/ Really looking forward to it though, it should be a wonderful day. Sunday I might be going to the Red Lion in Gravesend to see Breed 77 at the Red Roar festival.

You should be CONCERNED becuase EVERYONE is SPYING on YOU. They're in yr fb, stealin yr indentities...

I really couldn't give two shits. I don't think I'm important enough for anyone to be searching me anyway, but I would also stand behind anything I say online. Granted, I would PREFER some people not knowing certain things, but if they did find out then I would stand behind it 100%. And if someone's not going to hire me because they can see pictures of me with a beer in my hand, then that's fine, I would not want to work for companies that spy and judge like that.

Only my friends can see anything on my profile, so if any future employer tries looking they won't see shit. And the people on my friends list are all my actual friends, so I have no problem with them seeing anything about my life.

Mr. Sam

It's all coming up Cindres, huh?

But mostly, it's because the more you put on there, the more you get sucked in.

I use it for arranging events and sending funny pictures to friends. Theoretically, my privacy settings should stop potential employers from knowing my hilarious views about the Olympic opening ceremony. I think I should be alright.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Back in the UK. Paralympics sob stories and PPI story's blasting into my senses every chance they get.

Darren870

Nice! Though I never got why the brits really celebrated their 21st as a big party. Guess your just copying us Americans ;).

I will be doing errands and cleaning up the new flat. No work this weekend, though I wish I could get some as I need the overtime.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Nice! Though I never got why the brits really celebrated their 21st as a big party. Guess your just copying us Americans ;).

I will be doing errands and cleaning up the new flat. No work this weekend, though I wish I could get some as I need the overtime.

Never really sure why it's treated as a milestone either. But it's good because it means I'm getting more money than usual :p

Mikeside

I'm going to a shitty rock club tonight with my besties. We're gonna get fucked up, dance like tits and laugh at the little kids. Fun!

You're going to the Ag, then?

This weekend I'm going to try and de-stress from a hellish week at work. I feel like I'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown or something. [/overdramatic]

But seriously, I'm a little worried about myself and how work is at the minute, so I'm really hoping for a serious relaxing weekend and perhaps finding somebody to have a whinge at.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You're going to the Ag, then?

This weekend I'm going to try and de-stress from a hellish week at work. I feel like I'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown or something. [/overdramatic]

But seriously, I'm a little worried about myself and how work is at the minute, so I'm really hoping for a serious relaxing weekend and perhaps finding somebody to have a whinge at.

haha yep, rocking it old school. It's the 10 year anniversary for Quarantine which used to be based out of the Tumbledown in Farnborough, so hopefully the crowd's a little older and the music is a bit better. Last we went was about a year ago and no lie, they were playing stuff from when I was 18. But it wasn't the good stuff even, it was like Disturbed and Soil and all that terrible terrible nu metal. There must have been some good heavy music for dancing made in the past ten years surely?? Quarantine was better though, they were a bit more indie and obscure which is perfect for me since my tastes are also indie and obscure.

And yeah man, sometimes you sorely need a weekend to destress and refill your soul gauge. You have 48 hours starting... now! :D

Mikeside

haha yep, rocking it old school. It's the 10 year anniversary for Quarantine which used to be based out of the Tumbledown in Farnborough, so hopefully the crowd's a little older and the music is a bit better. Last we went was about a year ago and no lie, they were playing stuff from when I was 18. But it wasn't the good stuff even, it was like Disturbed and Soil and all that terrible terrible nu metal. There must have been some good heavy music for dancing made in the past ten years surely?? Quarantine was better though, they were a bit more indie and obscure which is perfect for me since my tastes are also indie and obscure.

And yeah man, sometimes you sorely need a weekend to destress and refill your soul gauge. You have 48 hours starting... now! :D

Nice one.

My friends and I try to do a yearly trip to the Ag as we used to go there every friday night for about 3 years so it's nice and nostalgic, but yeah - they haven't changed the music since....ever. And the music was terrible even back in the day.

You used to be able to guess the setlist in the "club" section of the evening because they had 3 different sets. One started with Pendulum (Slam, maybe?), one with Prodigy (Firestarter) and one with... a song that completely escapes me.

If you find an indie club night anywhere that isn't shit then hit me up, I'd love to go along, have a few drinks and dance like an idiot. That's the REAL GAF meetup.

THE:MILKMAN

Is anyone else amazed that the McCann story is still getting "sightings"?

Today a ridiculous story in the Sun of another sighting before a big event (Det Amaral's trial in Portugal).

I ask myself what really happened over in Portugal that over 5 years later not a single investigative reporter in the UK has seriously questioned any of the anomalies publicly?

Honestly this case has baffled me for over 5 years and I'm like WTF happened to sustain this level of Government/Police/Press interest?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Today a ridiculous story in the Sun of another sighting before a big event (Det Amaral's trial in Portugal).

I ask myself what really happened over in Portugal that over 5 years later not a single investigative reporter in the UK has seriously questioned any of the anomalies publicly?

Honestly this case has baffled me for over 5 years and I'm like WTF happened to sustain this level of Government/Police/Press interest?

Middle class white little girl.

MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE MADDIE fucking headlines. Has there been a story that got so many front pages over so long?

MORE IMPORTANT THINGS HAPPEN, YOU SHITTY TABLOID RAGS.
One of the reasons I stopped reading the paper.

Meadows

Banned

what do you think the chances are that 99% of sightings are of kids that look like Maddy looked 5 years ago

THE:MILKMAN

I don't believe for a second that Madeleine was taken. She died in the apartment. The parents know what happened.

What I don't understand is that the sighting story is so obviously bollocks it's funny. And it has happened multiple times.

Are these sightings being generated? And if so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom