• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if/when I meet people from this forum in real life, do I call them their names, if I know them, or their usernames?

Just mention GAF, introduce yourself, mention your username but just go by actual name, and call people their real names. I guess? Seems the most sensible. I wouldn't want people calling me "Green Scar", because ugh.

daviyoung

Banned
Rules of Sumo Sundays:
- £19.50 - As much food as you want off the belt (but no grey or yellow plates), unlimited miso and green tea. No custom orders.
- One hour time limit.
You can rack up the £20 of food very quickly and then it's just pure savings from there on out. I ate £35 of stuff today as I wasn't feeling too hungry.

You ate £35 of Yo Sushi! sushi, which is like £5 worth of fish and rice. Yo! is such a huge rip-off, £20 for an hour is ridiculous. Are there no other sushi restaurants in your area?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
With his posting history i conclude he only eats at chain places without taking the time and effort to finding an awesome local place.

We can't all be the masters now.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Got £40 of Yo! Totally free once on a Facebook promotion.

Some top Sushi places in Newcastle though, I fucking love chinatown.

SmokyDave

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

It's lovely out there for a Monday Morning.

Still not smoking, even though I spent a chunk of the weekend ripped to the tits. Not even been tempted for the last week or so. Feels great!

With his posting history i conclude he only eats at chain places without taking the time and effort to finding an awesome local place.

I'm fairly sure one of your most recent posts in this thread was anti-local and pro-chain (maybe the burger discussion?)

Be consistent, Kent!

Suairyu

Banned
You ate £35 of Yo Sushi! sushi, which is like £5 worth of fish and rice. Yo! is such a huge rip-off, £20 for an hour is ridiculous. Are there no other sushi restaurants in your area?
All other Sushi restaurants are mega expensive.

But breaking any restaurant down to base food cost will seem a rip-off. You're not paying for ingredients; you're paying for service and location.

I don't post about the awesome local places because none of you schlubs live in Plymouth so you wouldn't understand.

daviyoung

Banned
But breaking any restaurant down to base food cost will seem a rip-off. You're not paying for ingredients; you're paying for service and location.

Yo! is especially expensive though, you're paying more because they're in a shopping mall and so rent is super expensive, and what service? It's the Nando's of fish and rice. The quality isn't all that either. Pay more and support your local joint.

Jiro am cry

Suairyu

Banned
Yo! is especially expensive though, you're paying more because they're in a shopping mall and so rent is super expensive, and what service? It's the Nando's of fish and rice.
let me put it this way: I wouldn't expect £20 to get me the amount of food I had yesterday in another restaurant that wasn't called McDonalds. And it was all tasty.

I was happy with my purchase. Stop being an organic hipster. Next you'll be telling me the S3 is the nandos of phones.

daviyoung

Banned
let me put it this way: I wouldn't expect £20 to get me the amount of food I had yesterday in another restaurant that wasn't called McDonalds. And it was all tasty.

I was happy with my purchase. Stop being an organic hipster. Next you'll be telling me the S3 is the nandos of phones.

You disgust me, shouldn't you be the one in sandals extolling the virtues of hybrid cars?

What's happened to you man, to turn you into this jellyfish of consumerist apathy?

Suairyu

Banned
You disgust me, shouldn't you be the one in sandals extolling the virtues of hybrid cars?

What's happened to you man, to turn you into this jellyfish of consumerist apathy?
The only jellyfish I see here is you. You're so peanut butter and jellyfish about my amazing food deal.

daviyoung

Banned
The only jellyfish I see here is you. You're so peanut butter and jellyfish about my amazing food deal.

Pizza Hut All-You-Can-Eat is like £7 and they don't care how much you leave, and they don't shoo you off after an hour. You even tighten your purse strings the wrong way.

Suairyu

Banned
Pizza Hut All-You-Can-Eat is like £7 and they don't care how much you leave, and they don't shoo you off after an hour. You even tighten your purse strings the wrong way.
Pizza Hut will send you to an early grave and they never have enough food out yo satisfy everyone.

daviyoung

Banned
Pizza Hut will send you to an early grave and they never have enough food out yo satisfy everyone.

Yo! will too, most of their rolls have mayonaisse in, their rice is the cheapest and starchiest you can get, who knows how lean the cuts of fish they get are or the state of the fish itself. How good are the chefs at Yo! to be dealing with delicate cuts of fish really? Why would they choose to work in a chain if their finely-honed sushi skills are so exemplary?

At least any 16-year-old can work at Pizza Hut, ensuring consistency. They have their business down, and you know exactly what you're getting. They have everything and you can wait as long as you want for freshly-cooked pizza, you can eat £7 worth of salad if you want and at least the salad's just salad, no dressing. I'd rather be fat and jolly and full than having mercury sickness and a hungry rumbling stomach from the fish and rice I'd consumed at Yo!.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair my regular pizza is cheap Pizza Express pizzas from the super market so I'm not really in a position to criticise.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You guys do anything except eat and drink?

I've been tackling some deep-forest gardening for the last five hours - damn brambles everywhere. Got to hoover the car, do the month end accounts, clear the garage and rustle up a roast in the next seven. Hell of a day. Anyone up to give me a hand?

I've been tackling some deep-forest gardening for the last five hours - damn brambles everywhere. Got to hoover the car, do the month end accounts, clear the garage and rustle up a roast in the next seven. Hell of a day. Anyone up to give me a hand?

I work, looking at a big page of numbers right now, it makes very little sense and I have to turn it into a report that other people can read.

Kentpaul

I'm fairly sure one of your most recent posts in this thread was anti-local and pro-chain (maybe the burger discussion?)

Be consistent, Kent!

That was Grocery/Kettles,irons ect discussion.

I support tesco in these cases. When it comes to pizza some people will not look past big chain places like pizza hut/domino's. Thats what really grinds my gears and makes me as a person give up faith in the public.

I support tesco in these cases. When it comes to pizza some people will not look past big chain places like pizza hut/domino's. Thats what really grinds my gears and makes me as a person give up faith in the public.

Because Tesco is clearly a better choice, that lovely independent green grocer...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
When it comes to pizza some people will not look past big chain places like pizza hut/domino's.

With you. Best place to go is somewhere with a huge Italian population and sniff out the local restaurants - Bedford and Peterborough spring to mind as (IIRC) each has their own Italian Consulate. Spent many years in Bedford, for a tiny unexceptional market town it has a ton of good Italian places.

SmokyDave

I've been known to complain here 'n' there.

My current 'interest-boner' is pointed firmly toward mountain biking and there's not much call for chatter on that subject 'round these parts.

Absolutely but I think my colleagues might kill me. I'd much rather do that than spend today making sure my Welsh customers are groovy with their new fee-scales.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I had a donner/chicken tortilla kebab last night. Fuck I was in all kinds of heaven.

Kentpaul

Because Tesco is clearly a better choice, that lovely independent green grocer...

I hate going into smaller shops and feeling like i have to buy something. A tiny ass store playing breath wars with the clerk.

No thank you.

tesco-extra.jpg

Choice. Choice is EVERYTHING

Yes the UK will be a great country when all we have is Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's. All of those independent retailers and green grocers can wither and die because all we need is three choices.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I hate going into smaller shops and feeling like i have to buy something.

Know the feeling - and I get it with my customers too. People HATE coming into an empty shop, particularly when they don't know what sort of (if any) greeting/response/experience they are going to get. My solution to this is to clean the window. Up on a ladder swishing the window on the street I can talk to people without them feeling threatened, tempt them in if they are interested, help them feel comfortable. That's way better than watching people walk by thinking about coming in but not daring to.

Some days I do that so much I have the cleanest windows in the universe and worry about whether I am wearing the glass away.

EDIT: plus, I never expect people to buy stuff. Looking is good, and looking (and touching) is free. It all works out in the end because they all tell their sister/cousin/aunt about us.

Meadows

Banned

I'd give you a hand if I lived in the South West!

Damn I love the South West. Fuck you South East/Yorkshire/North East, you mean nothing to me.

Midlands are alright because Alton Towers is there.

SteveWD40

Yes the UK will be a great country when all we have is Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's. All of those independent retailers and green grocers can wither and die because all we need is three choices.

To be fair, as much as I love independents, some of them need to wake up and smell the fucking coffee, it's not 1950 anymore and having opening hours based on women being housewives and doing their shopping during the day is laughable.

Sick of these whining shopkeepers who open 9:30 till 5:30 yet whine they have no customers, that's because they are all at work you plebs, and when I finish work and want some food, guess who is open: the chains.

There is a butchers / pie shop near my in-laws who closes...for lunch! Reams of workers from the nearby mill and they are shut cos they want to watch Jeremy Kyle with their ham roll.

If Butchers / Grocers / Bakers opened at lunchtime till 9pm they would work the same hours and actually be open when working people can shop there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

This is why I make a terrible grownup. Weekends are for videogames, drinking and shameful onanism.

daviyoung

Banned
To be fair, as much as I love independents, some of them need to wake up and smell the fucking coffee, it's not 1950 anymore and having opening hours based on women being housewives and doing their shopping during the day is laughable.

Sick of these whining shopkeepers who open 9:30 till 5:30 yet whine they have no customers, that's because they are all at work you plebs, and when I finish work and want some food, guess who is open: the chains.

*raucous round of applause that lasts for hours*

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'd give you a hand if I lived in the South West!

Damn I love the South West.

Come down any time, just drop me a note first (and that goes for zomg, Smokey and the rest too).

For those of you who only do the eating and drinking bit our shop is sandwiched between two restaurants and there is a pub across the road, plus we are right in the middle of nightclubland - about four clubs within 50 yards, which is why we don't open in the evenings.

For accommodation you might be on your own, unless I can find that tent in the garage (garden done, car done, garage next).

I thoroughly recommend coming down for the Carnival on November 9th. Spectacular stuff. Until I moved here I had no idea the Somerset Carnivals existed, but Wow.

Gosh, thread is a lot more lively today!

I had pizzu hut yesterday. It always seems like a good idea until I start eating it and remember it's terrible. Still, needed something to mop up the hangover.

Agreed with the shop stance, I'd love to get my meat from my local butcher and my veg from the grocer and my bread from the baker, but as mentioned above they all close before I get home from work, plus they're normally a lot more expensive too. Supermarkets offer convenience, cheapness, and a massive variety, so that's my choice made.

Oh and well done Smoky, keep up the good work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I finish work really early and I still see the local greengrocer and butcher closing shop. Don't know how they expect anyone else to buy from them.

They even had a sign outside saying something about saving your local shops from the big chains.

SteveWD40

I don't often mind paying more for quality, there is a great Butchers near where we want to move who is actually open on Sundays (not sure about evenings) and I love the idea of supporting your community, it's just they need to get with the times and play along rather than be typical, set in their ways little Englanders.

Morrisons pizzas > all other supermarket pizzas.

Yessir, their curry counters are a marvel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom