• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spookie

Haha, no you'd have to try a lot harder to upset us m'dear. Us Southerners have balls of steel and hearts of ice.

You said that, my brain saw this:

Cersei-lannister-lena-headey.jpeg

:D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mike, was your book the alternate history/clock one? If you're having trouble, the best advice I can give you is this: anthropomorphic dogs.

I actually have a talking dog in my half finished novel. I really need to finish it and actually had a blinder of an idea for today even though it'll mean rewriting a massive chunk of it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I sent an email this evening to gig a gig supporting Sucioperro next week. Honestly I'm so excited waiting for a reply that I don't know if I can sleep.

Mikeside

I sent an email this evening to gig a gig supporting Sucioperro next week. Honestly I'm so excited waiting for a reply that I don't know if I can sleep.

Awesome - they're good!
The only thing that puts me off them is knowing that an old friend of mine slept with most of them. But then, she also slept with 3 of Biffy Clyro and Frank Turner so I guess the odds weren't good...

SteveWD40

The missus landed her dream job at the BBC today and bought me a kindle to thank me for my support...(mostly talking her down from her massive worry sessions).

I really need to buy this girl a ring and make an honest women out of her.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What's a penguin's favorite footwear?

Flipper-floppers

The jokes on the back of penguins never get old.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Awesome - they're good!
The only thing that puts me off them is knowing that an old friend of mine slept with most of them. But then, she also slept with 3 of Biffy Clyro and Frank Turner so I guess the odds weren't good...

Lmao that's kind of awesome tbh. Why not? :p

I'm in the mood to drink whiskey and listen to some Bright Eyes.

That's a very 1am kinda thought. What album though?

Mikeside

Lmao that's kind of awesome tbh. Why not? :p

That's a very 1am kinda thought. What album though?

Haha, it's a rare kind of 1am thought for me - I severed my relationship with whiskey a few years ago after drinking too much Glenfiddich. I'm just starting to be able to smell it without vomiting again.

It was I'm Wide Awake It's Morning followed by Drunk Kid Catholic and some other random oldies. Oh yes. :)

Darren870

So guys, what are some good places around the UK to take day trips. Figure leave in the morning and come back at night, from London.

Haven't been around the UK much in the past 3 years and I want to start exploring a little bit more.

Even an over night would be okay also

SteveWD40

So guys, what are some good places around the UK to take day trips. Figure leave in the morning and come back at night, from London.

Haven't been around the UK much in the past 3 years and I want to start exploring a little bit more.

Even an over night would be okay also

York: very pretty, lots of cool old shit, loads of good places to eat / shop, cutest cobbled streets evah. Most Americans I know who have been are always fascinated by the pub that is circa 1400, the cathedral is obviously amazing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
York: very pretty, lots of cool old shit, loads of good places to eat / shop, cutest cobbled streets evah. Most Americans I know who have been are always fascinated by the pub that is circa 1400, the cathedral is obviously amazing.

Canterbury is a good alternative to York - I see them as very similar in terms of the atmosphere of the place. Obviously both are cathedral cities. Plus the Marlowe Theatre is brilliant. It is a lot nearer to London than York too.

Nottingham, I feel obliged to recommend. Sherwood is lovely, there is a castle, there are some fantastic restaurants such as the Victoria Hotel, which is famous for its beer (I don't drink and it is still a brilliant place). Wollaton Park/Hall is good too (Wayne Manor!), oh and it has the oldest inn in the UK - Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem. Oh and SmokeyDave!

Juicy Bob

Just seen this on the BBC website.

55ldu.png

There are so many important issues happening right here on our OWN BLOODY PLANET and people are more interested in reading about FUCKING ROCKS ON ANOTHER FUCKING PLANET? What?

I'm sorry. I'll go back into my box now.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Earth news is boring. Insert random middle east war here, Insert random uprising here. Insert random MP scandal here.

Yawn.

unusual rock > same old bs

SteveWD40

Earth news is boring. Insert random middle east war here, Insert random uprising here. Insert random MP scandal here.

Yawn.

Yep. There will always be "problems" to be solved, human nature, we wallow too much in bad news as it is thanks to the 24/7 if it bleeds it leads news culture.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Yep. There will always be "problems" to be solved, human nature, we wallow too much in bad news as it is thanks to the 24/7 if it bleeds it leads news culture.

Tell me about it.

Trapped goat's bid for freedom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19913015

The last time i was excited by the news was following the London riots. Shit had me at the edge of my seat.

It was like watching 24-7 live crime show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ne_w2rvBvU

It made for good news watching

Juicy Bob

Yawn.

I feel like you might be confusing 'boring' with 'depressing'. Middle Eastern wars, uprisings and Westminster scandals are interesting. Rocks are not. Rocks are the opposite of interesting.

You know when you're at a party or a social gathering of some sort and you meet someone who says "I'm a geologist. I study rocks for a living" and you go "wow! That's interesting!"? No you don't. Because that would NEVER HAPPEN.

Qasiel

I feel like you might be confusing 'boring' with 'depressing'. Middle Eastern wars, uprisings and Westminster scandals are interesting. Rocks are not. Rocks are the opposite of interesting.

You know when you're at a party or a social gathering of some sort and you meet someone who says "I'm a geologist. I study rocks for a living" and you go "wow! That's interesting!"? No you don't. Because that would NEVER HAPPEN.

This sounds like a Big Bang Theory joke.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think I'm getting a cold. Just my luck really. I'm going to Hong Kong next Tuesday-Thursday and hopefully it clears by then, otherwise going through those quarantine procedures will be a treat.

I find geology very interesting. And if you'd bothered to read the article before ripping in to it you would know the reason it's a big thing is because it's another indicator to there once being water on Mars. If you don't know why that's important then there's no point explaining it.

I dont think war is interesting, it's the same shit that's been happening for thousands of years for pretty much the same reasons. It's unnecessary and pointless.

Qasiel

I dont think war is interesting, it's the same shit that's been happening for thousands of years for pretty much the same reasons. It's unnecessary and pointless.
I somewhat disagree. There is plenty about war that is actually quite interesting, it's just that all you get to hear about wars these days are insurgents, terrorism and Syria trying to start something with Turkey for some foolish reason.

I think I'm getting a cold. Just my luck really. I'm going to Hong Kong next Tuesday-Thursday and hopefully it clears by then, otherwise going through those quarantine procedures will be a treat.

I've been suffering with one for the past few days and it's not nice at all. Chicken soup is on the cards for lunch.

Juicy Bob

I find geology very interesting. And if you'd bothered to read the article before ripping in to it you would know the reason it's a big thing is because it's another indicator to there once being water on Mars. If you don't know why that's important then there's no point explaining it.
I totally get why it's important and newsworthy and I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be reported. I just found it rather amusing but also strangely poignant that with all the stuff going on in the world today, the one thing BBC readers are most interested in is an article headlined "Mars rover finds 'unusual rock'".

SKINNER!

Banned
Just seen this on the BBC website.

There are so many important issues happening right here on our OWN BLOODY PLANET and people are more interested in reading about FUCKING ROCKS ON ANOTHER FUCKING PLANET? What?

I'm sorry. I'll go back into my box now.

You got a point Juicy Bob and I agree with you there. I find foreign politics/conflicts and stuff like that very fascinating and sometimes I can spent all night with people talking about it. And I mean thoughtful constructive conversations based on history and fact. Not stupid meaningless rantings like "yea! fuck those [insert relevant political party here]" or "Get 'em immigrants out! stealin' our jobs!" Although, I don't think Kentpaul's opinion is wrong here either. Space exploration (or any other uncovering/accomplishment whether it's on Earth or not) is new and fresh and it's not surprising that people prefer to read about a rock on Mars instead of an on-going political problem that hasn't been resolved in more than 50 years. I'd rather see that Mars article at number 1 instead of BS celebrity news like Jodie Marsh getting corrective face surgery.

I somewhat disagree. There is plenty about war that is actually quite interesting, it's just that all you get to hear about wars these days are insurgents, terrorism and Syria trying to start something with Turkey for some foolish reason.

I've been suffering with one for the past few days and it's not nice at all. Chicken soup is on the cards for lunch.

That's the great thing about opinions, they're yours to have and no one is wrong or right!

There are some really nasty virus' going about at the moment. You know I'm hardly ever sick, and if I am it's never for very long. Well I've had this bastard since last Wednesday, and even though I'm now getting better it's still hanging on. Hope you feel better soon dude!

Btw you haven't responded in the meet up thread, you coming to this one?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
KP_Choc_Dips_32g.jpg

Currently enjoying one of these bad boys, man I can't remember the last time I had one.

SKINNER!

Banned
Genius Lirlond! swap the breadsticks with kitkat fingers? OTT perhaps?

Right, needing UK-GAF's opinion on this one. Best S Club 7er...Rachel or Hannah?

SmokyDave

Damn Lirlond, you're the man. Might try it with those little Mikado things too.

Genius Lirlond! swap the breadsticks with kitkat fingers? OTT perhaps?

Right, needing UK-GAF's opinion on this one. Best S Club 7er...Rachel or Hannah?
Rachel, although I concede that Hannah would be far, far better in the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom