• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC's problem with science.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2012/jan/26/1

A nice article about the BBCs current approach to science, if your bored or interested.

SAved this on ReadItLater the other day, haven't got around to reading it yet.

For any London gaffers out there, have you ever done the Parkland Walk? I did it yesterday with my gf and tagged on an extra four miles at the beginning/end. Had a tasty salt beef bagel in Brick Lane as a post walk treat,

SmokyDave

Where do you live: Nottingham.
Where are you from: Nottingham, born & bred.
University: In my day we taught ourselves. Using wood.
Sports team of choice: Do I look American to you? Couldn't give a shit. Rizla Suzuki, I guess.
Current political party of choice: Fucked if I know, like choosing my favourite STD.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: COB. No alternatives accepted.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Probably Sherlock. Boring but true.
Oasis or Blur: Then: Oasis. Now: Blur. Radiohead and The Prodigy kill 'em both though.

Morning UK-GAF. Not much time to post ATM because we're settling into a new house. That means I have to do lots of Man-Jobs and leaves very little time for Man-Play :(

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Where do you live: Dawlish, Devon (A place for country bumpkins, black swans and middle class idiots who think they are Hard, talk like they're a rapper from London e.g Pro Green or Giggs and dress like they fell off a burberry tree and hit every clothing store branch on the way down)

Where are you from:Yeovil

University:Not yet, from what i here its a great investment these days

Sports team of choice:Liverpool-if i'm asked, i couldn't give a flying fuck really..

Current political party of choice:I tend to stay out of such affairs for now, seeing as none of them address any of the problems UK actually has.

Barm, batch, cob or bun:Bun?

Favourite (current) UK TV show:Twas Sherlock, As of yesterday? Top Gear

Oasis or Blur: Oasis

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Maaaaaaaaaaan, looking through Amazon for TV boxsets is depressing. I was wondering if Party Down ever got shown over here- nope. The search also let me know that Parks & Rec and Freaks and Geeks are also absent. So many other shows are just out-of-date too. Ugh.

What happened to Channel 4 picking up almost every NBC sitcom going? Comedy Central could easy use some Always Sunny or Community in it's schedule, too. But New Girl gets picked up. Weird.

Indeed, it is absolutely awful. 4 has Community, but they started showing season 1 while 3 had just begun airing in the US. Similarly, they got rid of Colbert when they made that 10'o'clock news current affairs show. Abysmal.

Omikaru

Finally got around to filling this in. Hi again, UK GAF!

Where do you live: Cardiff (finally home from Bridgend)
Where are you from: Cardiff
Occupation: Currently unemployed, was a freelance journalist (no longer -- I hated it)
University: Glamorgan
Sports team of choice: Cardiff Blues (rugby union)
Current political party of choice: Plaid Cymru
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Bun
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock (but I don't watch much UK TV; gone off Doctor Who, and I really have no interest in anything else)
Oasis or Blur: Neither

Moss

Where do you live: Oxford

Where are you from: Winchester

University: Birmingham

Sports team of choice: Harlequins (rugby union)

Current political party of choice: REDACTED

Favourite (current) UK TV show: Peep Show

Oasis or Blur: Blur

Number45

Where do you live: Basingstoke (North Hampshire)
Where are you from: Barnet, North London
University: College was enough, screw school
Sports team of choice: West Ham
Current political party of choice: Probably Conservative
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Er, pass?
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock/Top Gear (the only non sports programmes I've watched since ER)

elseanio

Where do you live: Liverpool
Where are you from: Liverpool
University: Didn't go to University
Sports team of choice: Liverpool FC
Current political party of choice: Labour
Barm, batch, cob or bun: They are all separate things. A barm is soft and usually bigger than a bun, mostly used with chippy chips. Cob is hard and used with soup. Bun is what you have burgers on.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock has just finished, so I will say QI. I will also add The News Quiz and I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue (Radio)
Oasis or Blur: Neither

Maaaaaaaaaaan, looking through Amazon for TV boxsets is depressing. I was wondering if Party Down ever got shown over here- nope. The search also let me know that Parks & Rec and Freaks and Geeks are also absent. So many other shows are just out-of-date too. Ugh.

What happened to Channel 4 picking up almost every NBC sitcom going? Comedy Central could easy use some Always Sunny or Community in it's schedule, too. But New Girl gets picked up. Weird.

Party Down was kinda shown over here... by that I mean that both series were (are?) available on Virgin's TV On Demand service. In HD no less. T'was glorious. I think only Season 2 is on there now, not really looked in a while though.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Hello UK GAF how are you? Good.

Where do you live: Birmingham
Where are you from: Birmingham
University: Barely made it through school
Sports team of choice: Only recently got into football, i like going to the Birmingham City FC games. I'm not a fan of keeping up with score's and the like but i am quite the fan of causing a ruckus at the grounds. Spiffing good fun.
Current political party of choice: None of them interest me
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Soft white baps for me, Deirdre.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: It's all pretty wank at the moment but i do like Phoneshop.
Oasis or Blur: Blur mainly for the fact it spawned Gorillaz

Party Down was kinda shown over here... by that I mean that both series were (are?) available on Virgin's TV On Demand service. In HD no less. T'was glorious. I think only Season 2 is on there now, not really looked in a while though.

Crap. I'm on Sky. Well, I was, now I'm on iPlayer shiz only coz I'm a student :/

Indeed, it is absolutely awful. 4 has Community, but they started showing season 1 while 3 had just begun airing in the US. Similarly, they got rid of Colbert when they made that 10'o'clock news current affairs show. Abysmal.

Channel 4 has Community? I know it was on Viva. I think you might be mistaken, Google says so.

And yeah, 10 O'Clock Live, not too hot.

Where do you live: Luton/London
Where are you from: North London
University: BSc in Bedfordshire, MSc in Royal Holloway/University of London
Sports team of choice: Manchester United in football, Wigan Warriors in Rugby League
Current political party of choice: lol
Barm, batch, cob or bun: :S
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Have I got News for You
Oasis or Blur: Skinnyman/Klashnekoff

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Where do you live: Brixton/London
Where are you from: Sale (just south of Manchester)
University: Manchester Metropolitan
Sports team of choice: Manchester City
Current political party of choice: Ehhhhhhhh. I'm fairly liberal.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: I'd have a sausage barm but call it a bap.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock, Doctor Who, ISIHAC, QI etc.
Oasis or Blur: Blur. Even as a Manchester lad.

Nice to see this thread, not sure how I missed it. Recently moved to London from Manchester so looking to find a bit of a community around here.

MooSeePoo

Neo Member
Where do you live: Coventry
Where are you from: Solihull
University: Didn't go
Sports team of choice: Arsenal
Current political party of choice: Conservative
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Hate most UK TV, but at a push I would say Top Gear
Oasis or Blur: Never got into either of them, but I would say Oasis

Chopper

So... Do any UK Gaffers wanna come to my pub? You'd get a pint on the house, and I'd let you look at my DS collection. :)

Rourkey

Where do you live: Portsmouth
Where are you from: Portsmouth
University: Portsmouth
Sports team of choice: Portsmouth FC (for the next couple of weeks at least)
Favourite (current) UK TV show: I tend to watch US dramas ours seem cheap by comparison
Oasis or Blur: <-------------------

THE:MILKMAN

Where do you live: Leicester
Where are you from: Leicester
Occupation: Warehouse order picker/packer :(..Soon to be back driving:)
Sports team of choice: Leicester City FC
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Crusty Cob
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Top Gear
Oasis or Blur: Oasis at the time

BluWacky

Where do you live: London
Where are you from: Bristol, my doves.
University: Oxford, and now part-time at SOAS (although not on a proper course or anything, just evening classes)
Sports team of choice: Um, England? Occasionally?
Current political party of choice: Lib Dems, always, although I am one of those people who goes unaffected by pretty much every major policy decision.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Loaf?
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock
Oasis or Blur: Oasis. I'd like to say Blur but I only like Coffee and TV and that was because of the dancing milk carton.

Greetings fellow UK Gaffers :)

Where do you live: Wolverhampton
Where are you from: Dundee
Occupation: Business Systems Analyst, also manage our IT Helpdesk team
University: Dundee College, served an Apprenticeship as an Electrician before moving into IT
Sports team of choice: Wolves
Current political party of choice: None of them - Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich argument
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Dunno if it's a Scottish thing but none of these, I'd call it a roll :/
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock, Doctor Who

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And how would that work, would you walk up to the barman and say "Believe." then bam free pint?
Or "Are you ready? 3 2 1 GO! I was born in a cross-fire hurricane..."
That was an Elite Beat Agents reference since I'm guessing most of |OT| hasn't played it.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Hey London GAF, fancy being this close to Norwich haha?

And I simply must pay a lovely visit to the city of Cornwall, somehow that's something that has escaped me in 40+ years of being a Brit :D

o-CNNLONDON-570.jpg

Doh! CNN :)

Trick question of course, no-one wants to be close to Norwich :p

Coppers on tonight! :D

Sports team of choice: Portsmouth FC (for the next couple of weeks at least)

Good result on Saturday. Let's hope they manage to keep hold of all of the players until the end of the transfer window - I would say hopefully get one or two in but that's never going to happen. lol

The BBC's problem with science.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2012/jan/26/1

A nice article about the BBCs current approach to science, if your bored or interested.

I agree with that wholeheartedly and have thought as much for several years. Science permeates everything. I have a feeling that politicians and pseudo-intellectuals wouldn't want people with actual facts and clear definitions of things arguing with them on TV, simply because they'd get their arse handed to them.

The best debate I've seen recently actually did things right. It was on 'The Big Questions' on the BBC on a Sunday two weeks ago. It was a debate show and had scientists and people of faith discussing whether their is evidence for the existence of God. Was a good show.

I think BBC One should step up and actually take on Quantum Mechanics and run series about important scientists. There have been some really nice things done on BBC4 and I couldn't help but feel that more people should be exposed to that quality of programs.

A typical example of people not liking facts is the government giving professor David Nutt the heave ho after he actually presented facts that had been verified by several scientific journals. . . just because it didn't fit the political rhetoric.

Omikaru

University: Oxford, and now part-time at SOAS (although not on a proper course or anything, just evening classes)

Oooh! What do you think of SOAS? Is it a well-run place, good area and so on? I may be going there in October to do an MA, if I'm accepted of course.

Madness. I like living outside London after being there most of my life.

When I go back to Essex I'm surprised (for a few seconds) that everyone isn't walking around like they've a) left the gas on at home or b) think they are an emotionless tank. London is like playing RollerCoaster Tycoon and upping the speed setting.

In Essex I can chillax.

When I go back to Essex I'm surprised (for a few seconds) that everyone isn't walking around like they've a) left the gas on at home or b) think they are an emotionless tank. London is like playing RollerCoaster Tycoon and upping the speed setting.

In Essex I can chillax.

Funny thing is, Essex still feels like the speed of light compared to a lot of the UK. :D

Funny thing is, Essex still feels like the speed of light compared to a lot of the UK. :D

Yeah. I went to visit a chum in Norwich and it felt like everyone was ambling around. Essex has the double edged sword of being very close to London and therefore some of the people have Londoner aspects about them.

North Essex is really nice. My part of Essex (Thurrock) is essentially a shittier version of East London.

defel

I cant wait to get back to London. Cardiff is great but I prefer big cities and London is the only true big city here in the UK.

Bleepey

Whenever i go outside LDN i bitch like a whiny school girl. Bus fare costs how much? Food costs what? What do you mean the last bus? Wait i have to pay to use the internet at the library? Shops are closing how early? Are you klidding me that fucking much at the Library!? London is more expensive for somethings but it's better value for money IMO.

Whenever i go outside LDN i bitch like a whiny school girl. Bus fare costs how much? Food costs what? What do you mean the last bus? Wait i have to pay to use the internet at the library? Shops are closing how early? Are you klidding me that fucking much at the Library!? London is more expensive for somethings but it's better value for money IMO.

When I went back to Thurrock after I did my first degree in Portsmouth I couldn't believe how shit my place of birth is, despite it having Lakeside and good connections. In Portsmouth I could get fried chicken delivered to my door up until 4AM. In Thurrock the fucking bars close at 11PM. Such crap.

Covfan

Where do you live: Coventry (Home to genii like this)
Where are you from: Coventry
Sports team of choice: Coventry City *cries*
Current political party of choice: Erm, Green Party
Barm, batch, cob or bun: It's a batch, all the other answers are pointless
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Pointless

TV really is poor at the minute, nothing to fill the gap of Sherlock (Although Whitechapel is back this week which is really good).

Chopper

Where is your pub?

And how would that work, would you walk up to the barman and say "Believe." then bam free pint?

It's on the Goodwood Estate, just outside Chichester. It's beautiful.

And yes! I think "Believe..." is a totally valid codeword, but you might have to show me a smartphone with you logged in to prevent piss-taking lurkers!

Rourkey said:
I'm in Chichester this week but am worried about ending up in a gimp mask so will pass
Haha ha! Well, if you change your mind, let me know. My beer is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom