• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK retailer GAME not stocking any EA games after SSX (includes ME3) [&Nintendo?]

Linkified

Collectors edition just went up for pre-order on Amazon. Good price too.

Yep switched my order over from play.com.

Now the big question is are Game still getting the exclusive Witcher 2 Dark Edition and are they still getting the exclusive pack for Darksiders 2.

It certainly makes more sense for it to be an end rather than a break, because if you were going to make it a break barring one game, *surely* you'd have the break after ME3?

Why though? GAME might not sell any ME3 copies this month, but they haven't had to buy any either. Maybe they feel its better to try and clear current stocks before they buy more...

The thing is, both GAME and EA know that ME3 has the brand power to be a success. EA are probably only offering the inventory at set bulk prices and GAME, rather than taking on extra stock that might not sell, doesn't want to take their deal. Maybe they want fewer copies or a cheaper price.

They're still the biggest high street chain, so they probably thought they could twist EAs arm and get a better deal... to be honest, it probably will hurt EAs sales of ME3 in the UK a little bit, but is that going to make them more amenable to offering GAME group a good deal? I doubt it.

Rather than allowing themselves to go into freefall by taking on new inventory that won't sell, they're trying to stem the blood-loss by managing things -- so this *may* be just a break.

If they can recover from this point forth, I'll be really impressed and maybe it was the right thing to do... if not... well. Maybe they picked the wrong battle.

Patryn

Why though? GAME might not sell any ME3 copies this month, but they haven't had to buy any either. Maybe they feel its better to try and clear current stocks before they buy more...

The thing is, both GAME and EA know that ME3 has the brand power to be a success. EA are probably only offering the inventory at set bulk prices and GAME, rather than taking on extra stock that might not sell, doesn't want to take their deal. Maybe they want fewer copies or a cheaper price.

They're still the biggest high street chain, so they probably thought they could twist EAs arm and get a better deal... to be honest, it probably will hurt EAs sales of ME3 in the UK a little bit, but is that going to make them more amenable to offering GAME group a good deal? I doubt it.

Rather than allowing themselves to go into freefall by taking on new inventory that won't sell, they're trying to stem the blood-loss by managing things -- so this *may* be just a break.

If they can recover from this point forth, I'll be really impressed and maybe it was the right thing to do... if not... well. Maybe they picked the wrong battle.

I'm actually guesssing that EA is asking for cash up front, and GAME doesn't have the liquid funds to afford that. Keep in mind that most pre-orders only put down a small deposit, which is not enough to cover the cost of the actual game.

So while GAME may know those are all-but-guaranteed sales, they simply have no way of actually acquiring the games.

I am worried that Game leaving the market will allow the other shops to raise they're prices. :(

I don't think this will be a major problem. Amazon,Play, Grainger, Supermarkets and other retailers still have to compete. The only reason I still use brick and mortar shops for games (mainly Grainger Games) is because they are cheap and have decent deals (like deals of the week). They won't want to lose that by rasing prices.

Link83

GAME's website has just gone down 'for maintenance'....is this the end?

<EDIT> Now back but most (all?) of the product pages seem to lead to a 'Generic Error' page which says 'Ooops! Something has gone wrong'

FFS, this is a joke right, Got an email from them at 3 telling me my order for the CE was cancelled just reordered it from Amazon, However i have zero idea about preorder DLC now.

Will i be getting the Argus Rifle and N7 Warfare Gear still?

Kyoufu

FFS, this is a joke right, Got an email from them at 3 telling me my order for the CE was cancelled just reordered it from Amazon, However i have zero idea about preorder DLC now.

With the CE? I doubt it unless you contact customer services and yell for it.

With the CE? I doubt it unless you contact customer services and yell for it.

I dont understand why not, im putting more money down than the regular purchase of the game im more entitled to getting the Preorder content and i was going to get it with my game.co.uk preorder

jono51

Banned
Lol. just listening to the radio and they mentioned this. People on the street they asked were pretty much like "well, they're gonna lose a lot of money because everyone else will be selling it anyway lol". GAME over man, GAME over.

Kyoufu

I dont understand why not, im putting more money down than the regular purchase of the game im more entitled to getting the Preorder content and i was going to get it with my game.co.uk preorder

Yeah, well.. I just called ShopTo and they said "not at this time". :/

Zoibie

That would be even worse than having GAME.

Good god, I hope that doesn't happen.

I don't think it would be that bad. Game and GameStop are pretty similar as it is, I'm sure GS realise they can't just be the same store and expect to succeed.

clockpunk

Looks like no where in the UK has The N7 warfare pack then. At this rate the argus and the N7 pack should just get put on the marketplace for free download day 1

Here's hoping - the CE has 4 weapons, this preorder DLC plugs the gaps (as it were) - bloody cheek of Bioware/EA.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
I've got a gift card I wanted to use for either the Jak and Daxter or Metal Gear Solid HD collections, but of course my local Game never seemed to get MGS in and the one copy of Jak they had seems to have been sold. No idea if they'll get them in again.

Thought I might hang on to it to use to get some money off of Mass Effect 3 when it launches, but then of course this all this happens!

Game aren't the greatest retailer ever but I really don't want them to go out of business, I just hope the shop survives long enough for me to find something worthwhile to spend the gift card on.

That Warfare pack is advertised as a Standard Edition bonus though. Says nothing about the CE :/

And it did previously with game, Honestly im pretty annoyed at the whole situation, Im a completionist when it comes to mass effect games,

Click to make bigger

Kyoufu

All of those DLC packs are content cut from the game and bundled/sold as a "bonus" to make it look like you're gaining something.

Such a massive scam.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
And it did previously with game, Honestly im pretty annoyed at the whole situation, Im a completionist when it comes to mass effect games,

Click to make bigger

Looks like mine except for the weapon DLC, which I never really support in games.

Got it all free through EA support as well because it simply wasn't available here.

Mideon

Now the big question is are Game still getting the exclusive Witcher 2 Dark Edition and are they still getting the exclusive pack for Darksiders 2.

Haha those are the exact 2 games I have left pre ordered at Game.

Hopefully other places will offer those soon.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks like no where in the UK has The N7 warfare pack then. At this rate the argus and the N7 pack should just get put on the marketplace for free download day 1

They said they would update us today, but it seems like we will find out tomorrow.
We will confirm the details of the Standard Edition N7 Warfare Gear pre-order tomorrow (Thursday 1st), apologies for the delay.
EA

disco

Goodbye GAME, no one gives a shit lol.

*Sorry for people losing their jobs though. They do have a passionate workforce.

You probably won't hear about the retail store incentive DLC till tomorrow according to EA :-

EA said:
We will confirm the details of the Standard Edition N7 Warfare Gear pre-order tomorrow (Thursday 1st), apologies for the delay.
Republic Of Ireland Customers: The N7 Warfare Gear in-game pack remains only available at Xtra-vision when you pre-order the standard edition

http://www.ea.com/uk/1/mass-effect-3-update-1

Whilst it is sad for the employees of GAME it is kinda nice to see retail exclusivity bite EA in the arse. Let's hope they learn from this (but probably won't).

Yeah, went to GAME to get Resident Evil: Revelations, said they were out of stock and were 'having stock issues with Nintendo'... sucks, because I have a £15 GAME card to use, so I'm holding out to buy it from there.

Going to London tomorrow, might try at Covent Garden.

Brera

Banned
GAME have made a pretty ballsy decision.

The mistake they made was to start taking pre-orders for ME3. They should have decided earlier whether they would commit or not. EA must be playing pretty hardball and GAME called their bluff and EA didn't blink.

It's going to hurt their rep short term but long term, not many will remember this. I predict 9p a share by November and back to around £1 in 18-24 months depending on WiiU and Nextbox releases.

What is clear is that their banks are backing them. I wouldn't shop with them but many do.

GAME have made a pretty ballsy decision.

The mistake they made was to start taking pre-orders for ME3. They should have decided earlier whether they would commit or not. EA must be playing pretty hardball and GAME called their bluff and EA didn't blink.

It's going to hurt their rep short term but long term, not many will remember this. I predict 9p a share by November and back to around £1 in 18-24 months depending on WiiU and Nextbox releases.

What is clear is that their banks are backing them. I wouldn't shop with them but many do.

Well, I admire your optimism but who is gonna shop there if there is nothing to buy? Perhaps they could branch out into pastries.

Regarding this latest decision all I can say is "you stupid...ahahaha" as its crazy.

just been to my local game store, wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjUO2YSjn0
Nice summary.

Out of interest...

I've always thought Game had approximately the same MO as Gamestop over in the US - heavy focus on preowned, actively seeking retailer-exclusive offers, pricey but a good range of product...

How come GameStop's thriving while Game... isn't? Just through massive overexpansion with the Gamestation purchase?
UK market is very competitive and online being cheaper kind of (slowly) kills high street and/or erodes its profits. Thing about America is also its a very large country so ordering a game online you might save sales tax (otherwise a new release will be the same price, though stores have started doing vouchers you have to spend 10 minutes later) but you could be waiting more than say the day (or minus days) we enjoy here unless you go for courier.

ejLfC.jpg
Oh boy, I can't wait to shop at Ganon!
Replace Ganon with the Gamestop logo or Grainger Games branded condoms...

They were reportedly looking to close some of their non-UK stores.
They're trying to flog the non-UK stores and well...Gamestop is the only person big enough to buy them in one clean swipe...but the rumors now of "yes all but Australia"...

Heh, I'm a Watford dweller too. I hope we aren't just left with the filthy CEX at the bottom of the high street.
I remember when a friend of mine wanted Gulity Gear X2 (this was in the days they still did new...) and a few weeks later they specifically ordered it. Gulity Gear x2 alright...as in two copies of Gulity Gear X...I then ended up buying my GBA from CeX and well...he never forgave me :(

Did NinjaFusion get his money back yet?
I don't think so. At this point it being the automatic bank cancels pending transaction after 10 days will be the thing that gets his money back.

Casp0r

Banned
Hahahha I despite GAME. Over priced games, awful staff and a generation of terrible games funded and supported because mom's don't know better.

Good Riddance.

Zomba13

I used my £5 code and my left over Gamestation points to get 1200 MS points for £3.29.

Need to use up the points on the GAME card at some point too.

Top Bottom