• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Nert

Great games, everyone. That was a lot of fun!

For Azure's and Solar's benefit, it's worth noting that Salva pretty much downloaded me after you both left. I got him back once, but he took five straight games off of me :p

For Azure's and Solar's benefit, it's worth noting that Salva pretty much downloaded me after you both left. I got him back once, but he took five straight games off of me :p

Great matches! Sorry i had to leave. I have homework to do :)

Your tron is crazy!

Ready to play anytime! And yah, assist calls are something I need to work on aside from other fundamentals. In our last session I had the same problem but you said I was ok! And yah I could tell since you were switching everywhere. Also that god damn Skrull, i've never played against someone who actually has Skrull setups so it was devastating me left and right. Thank goodness for Dark Vergil!
Skrull is such a joy to play, but he doesn't have any good fundamentals. It's weird, they gave them this really shitty air dash, and there's nothing safe for him to do out of it. j.S (charge) can be air thrown easily and has a much smaller hitbox than the graphic would lead you to believe (that thing should cover the screen - I had to charge it up damn it!), and j.d+H is both unsafe on block and only hits where he lands. So if I air dash and someone like Wolverine dashes behind me...I got nothin'. He just gets a free mix-up unless I want to Meteor Smash down.

If Skrull had an 8-way, he'd be my point character. He's fantastic at starting matches. I love playing him, second favorite character in the game. He just doesn't go with Dormammu at all.

You don't have to hold back, I got bodied so if you have other tips don't be afraid to share. As you could tell my makeshift Spiderman team sucked =(
I'm not holding back, I just think you make really unsafe and/or predictable assist calls, and it leads to a lot of dead characters. Personally, that's one of the reasons I absolutely love Morrigan. It's impossibly to punish the assist call, you just have to know it's coming. Strider is kind of the same - I have to Chaotic Flame ahead of time.

Aside from working on assist calls, and us both obviously being inexperienced with some of the characters we were using, I'd suggest learning the inputs for Chris' level 3, haha.

I thought your Spider-man team was fine, and your Spider-man was really good. Skrull is probably one of his most frustrating matchups, because you realistically want to be zipping around and that means you're Meteor Smash food. Plus Sentinel is huge and eats Meteor Smashes even when I'm not aiming for him. It would have been better if you called Hidden Missiles more in that matchup, for sure.

Any thoughts on the characters I used? I'm glad I impressed you with the Phoenix combo. OCVing someone with normal Phoenix is one of the best feelings in the game. The neat thing is that you can loop the Stalking Flare -> Phoenix Rage until you're out of meter. When that was my main team in Vanilla, if I was doing well I'd finish the match with that (since I had the 5 bars for Dark Phoenix). It was way easy to get her Dark every time in Vanilla...sigh, poor Phoenix. If she were a normal character with about 900K health and no Dark form, I'd use her as my point character forever. I love playing her. None of the characters I enjoy playing fit well on point it seems. -_-

I'm going to take up some advice I got from...someone (some competitive player, I forgot who) and give Strider a try. I like Strider, I'm just not sure if he'd fit well in this team. Maybe I'll go back to Doom. :-/

Edit: Oh yeah, and I think Vergil might also be above my execution level. Those first 20 matches we went even, and I kept losing Vergil because I find it hard as hell to move him around and play while holding a button. Once I stopped bothering with charging Round Trip, I won a lot more. -_-

Edit2: I'll also note that part of the reason you lost a lot of those matches is Doom. He's just so free to my team, it's like you're playing with two characters.

Edit3: Maybe I'll mess with Frank West, too.

Actually I am thinking of retiring from Marvel and going back into the MOBA genre. Probably HoN or DOTA 2. Even then I will be playing casually until I finish licensing exams. Marvel is too heavy of a crack to be using at this point in my life.
I'm all about taking breaks from this stuff when your life needs it, but IMO DotA is even worse than Marvel. I'm not sure how different DotA2 is from the original, but DotA was 45 minutes per game, and if you lost, goddamn did you want to spend another 45 minutes playing. Marvel is maybe more addictive, but you can satisfy the craving easier.

Dahmoba

I just realized that with Dahbomb down, there's nobody left to champion Iron Man. *evil laugh*
Uh, Enzo?

Azure J

Box Dash Tron is so alien to me. Like, I know what the right answers are with either zoning or interrupting the horizontal assist so you can dash under Tron's nonsense, but fuck me if I can ever do s much. I also still cannot believe how insane her Drill is.

Box Dash Tron is so alien to me. Like, I know what the right answers are with either zoning or interrupting the horizontal assist so you can dash under Tron's nonsense, but fuck me if I can ever do s much. I also still cannot believe how insane her Drill is.

Yeah, his team was tough to play against. He uses characters that aren't frequently used ;b.

Nert

For the ground versions of her drill, all of them are negative on block and can usually be punished with a crouching light move (this is why I cover the drill with the dagger assist whenever possible). The aerial version is safer, but it can also be punished with an air throw when blocked. It can definitely be hard to anticipate when it's coming out (its startup is fairly fast and it travels almost full screen). Once you are able to predict it, though, you can always jump out of the way.

If you have the meter, EX Thunder Knuckle can blow through both Tron and Arthur when I call him, leading to a happy birthday. Rapid seismo spamming also forces me to super jump, allowing you to fish for an air grab or attempt to cross me up. Nova players often give me a rough time because they can pretty easily grab me out of the box dash -> air H crossup nonsense.

Of course, it may not be worthwhile to fret over the Tron matchup too much, given that almost nobody plays her anymore : /

Edit: I haven't really put much time into it, but that Hsien-Ko/M.O.D.O.K/Arthur team was very fun to mess around with. I might go into training mode with it just to have an even more confusing alt team.

Solune

Skrull is such a joy to play, but he doesn't have any good fundamentals. It's weird, they gave them this really shitty air dash, and there's nothing safe for him to do out of it. j.S (charge) can be air thrown easily and has a much smaller hitbox than the graphic would lead you to believe (that thing should cover the screen - I had to charge it up damn it!), and j.d+H is both unsafe on block and only hits where he lands. So if I air dash and someone like Wolverine dashes behind me...I got nothin'. He just gets a free mix-up unless I want to Meteor Smash down.

If Skrull had an 8-way, he'd be my point character. He's fantastic at starting matches. I love playing him, second favorite character in the game. He just doesn't go with Dormammu at all.

Yah I wanted to make a Skrull team but, I had no idea how to even start the composition other than maybe Drones. But I get sick of sticking Drones or Missiles into every team.
And man I was free as hell to Skrull still =p.

I'm not holding back, I just think you make really unsafe and/or predictable assist calls, and it leads to a lot of dead characters. Personally, that's one of the reasons I absolutely love Morrigan. It's impossibly to punish the assist call, you just have to know it's coming. Strider is kind of the same - I have to Chaotic Flame ahead of time.

Aside from working on assist calls, and us both obviously being inexperienced with some of the characters we were using, I'd suggest learning the inputs for Chris' level 3, haha.

Hey... It's not my fault when I'm holding M it doesn't move the crosshair like its supposed to =/. I blame netplay! What did you think of my Chris? I thought I did well with the Chris Team in both assist calls and general play, aside from level 3 mess ups haha.
Any thoughts on the characters I used? I'm glad I impressed you with the Phoenix combo. OCVing someone with normal Phoenix is one of the best feelings in the game. The neat thing is that you can loop the Stalking Flare -> Phoenix Rage until you're out of meter. When that was my main team in Vanilla, if I was doing well I'd finish the match with that (since I had the 5 bars for Dark Phoenix). It was way easy to get her Dark every time in Vanilla...sigh, poor Phoenix. If she were a normal character with about 900K health and no Dark form, I'd use her as my point character forever. I love playing her. None of the characters I enjoy playing fit well on point it seems. -_-
This is totally a compliment, your playstyle is very methodical, but when I saw that combo I was like YO DAMN. It was kind of out of the norm fancy =p. I think Phoenix should've just been a normal character as well. As for your characters. I like how, when you set up the firebrand unblockable, I was like oh no, i've seen this before. HELL IVE DONE THIS BEFORE OH NO SHIT FUCK DAMN. And then i lost :lol. Umm outside of that Your Skrull impressed me the most.
I'm going to take up some advice I got from...someone (some competitive player, I forgot who) and give Strider a try. I like Strider, I'm just not sure if he'd fit well in this team. Maybe I'll go back to Doom. :-/

Edit: Oh yeah, and I think Vergil might also be above my execution level. Those first 20 matches we went even, and I kept losing Vergil because I find it hard as hell to move him around and play while holding a button. Once I stopped bothering with charging Round Trip, I won a lot more. -_-

Edit2: I'll also note that part of the reason you lost a lot of those matches is Doom. He's just so free to my team, it's like you're playing with two characters.

Edit3: Maybe I'll mess with Frank West, too.

Strider Anchor ? I guess that's not too bad, the way you play you generate so much meter you could get a free super off Vajra anyways. I know you'd want to save the meter for Dark Strider though, kind of a conundrum.

Don't go with Doom, you saw me struggle and what's he gonna do with excess meter? Also stay the hell away from Iron man =p. Oh i forgot to mention that Hsien-ko team you were talking about before in action was pretty cool.

Weren't you saying Vergil is not high execution? =p. He's harder than he looks!

Edit: I'm also looking for someone to replace Doom, but can assist Spencer the same way he does. Otherwise I might have to change my entire Vergil team. I haven't even considered that once yet....

Edit 2: I feel like training SPECIFICALLY for your team. Poor Doom and Spencer... Dahbomb I need help putting together a new Vergil team, what say you?

Someone posted Frank West's picture hitbox for me:
http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2012/01/24_umvc3hitboxes01.jpg

I might try Frank/Dormammu/Morrigan. Dormammu gets Frank to level 3 in a combo, and if I ever THC it's an instant level 4 as long as my opponent isn't in the corner because Finishing Shower takes so long to finish.

Yah I wanted to make a Skrull team but, I had no idea how to even start the composition other than maybe Drones. But I get sick of sticking Drones or Missiles into every team.
And man I was free as hell to Skrull still =p.
I think the Firebrand/Skrull/Sentinel team is the best there is for him unless you want Skrull on point, then I'd do Skrull/Sentinel/Haggar. Sentinel is Skrull's best assist, flat out. If you want to go crazy with Meteor Smash, the only other assists that let him do so that I know of are Molecular Shield (lol, right?) and Bolts of Balthakk. Bolts gives you full combos off of Meteor Smash like drones do.

Hey... It's not my fault when I'm holding M it doesn't move the crosshair like its supposed to =/. I blame netplay! What did you think of my Chris? I thought I did well with the Chris Team in both assist calls and general play, aside from level 3 mess ups haha.
I loved the Chris team! I hate the damn trolling with prone shots. -_-

I recommend superjumping across the screen more with Chris and using gunfire on the way down. It's way more effective than you would think.

This is totally a compliment, your playstyle is very methodical, but when I saw that combo I was like YO DAMN. It was kind of out of the norm fancy =p. I think Phoenix should've just been a normal character as well. As for your characters. I like how, when you set up the firebrand unblockable, I was like oh no, i've seen this before. HELL IVE DONE THIS BEFORE OH NO SHIT FUCK DAMN. And then i lost :lol. Umm outside of that Your Skrull impressed me the most.
Hahahaha, thanks. I tend not to stick with any one team long enough to become fancy. I've had fancy stuff with my teams in the past, but I stopped bothering because I never kept the characters anyway. :p

Also, one of the reasons I tend not to have fancy looking combos is that Dark Harmonizer is my main assist, which means no combo extensions or anything. When I used to use other assists, my combos were more fancy.

I like Phoenix as she is. I think she'd be the best of the best if she has 900K life.

Strider Anchor ? I guess that's not too bad, the way you play you generate so much meter you could get a free super off Vajra anyways. I know you'd want to save the meter for Dark Strider though, kind of a conundrum.
That's one problem, definitely. However, maybe I don't need Ouroboros with him. I think he's an amazing anchor without it.

Don't go with Doom, you saw me struggle and what's he gonna do with excess meter? Also stay the hell away from Iron man =p. Oh i forgot to mention that Hsien-ko team you were talking about before in action was pretty cool.
That's the worst that Hsien-ko team has ever done. Goddamn Zero! Ideally, if Doom is on the team he never sees play. I consider Doom, even though he's a good character, to basically be a trade off of having 2 super characters vs. 3 normal characters. If I get to Doom, it's game over.

Weren't you saying Vergil is not high execution? =p. He's harder than he looks!
He's not high execution, but it's very demanding on my execution to play him without assists. For the people who use him with at least one assist, you can charge Round Trip and just teleport + assist to get in and start stuff. I have to footsies my way in, and it's way hard without any assists while holding that button.

Edit: Also, it's more about him being boring than beyond my execution level. It's kind of like a "eh, I'm not enjoying him enough to put the effort in" thing. I don't like that Vergil is so ground based. All of his aerials blow aside from Helm Breaker.

Edit: I'm also looking for someone to replace Doom, but can assist Spencer the same way he does. Otherwise I might have to change my entire Vergil team. I haven't even considered that once yet....
One thing I love about Dark Harmonizer is that it taught me to play the game without relying on assists. I used to feel the need to wait until missiles were on the screen before doing anything, and now I just feel so freeeeeeee.

Edit: Definitely going to give Frank West a try. My team can get him to level 5 in one combo. :)

c.LMH, sj.MMHS, Dark Hole, qcf.S, c.HS, sj.MMHS, A+S, A1+A2, qcf.S.

Basically, use Dark Hole to hit level 2, which gives you your roll. After your relaunch, Barrel Roll behind your opponent and THC cancel. Finishing Shower will take long enough to finish that you'll have time to snap one picture.

Last Edit:
Solune, you need to get me on your PSN friends list.
Also, weirdest thing that happened in our matches was when I raw tagged Morrigan in while you were throwing a bunch of dogs out via Strider, and she "hit" one (hit animation appeared) and it didn't hurt her. Wild.

mr. puppy

Banned
well, I think my annoyance of cold star getting bopped and general frustration with only being able to situationally use it (seriously, its not hard to punish at all) is leading me to reconsider Vergil/Strange/Ammy. Its kinda fun on paper, but its a bit better Doom/Ammy against zoning but far worse against rushdown. I'll play with it from time to time, but I'm gonan start fooling with a new team for the weekend.

This morning I'm gonna fool with Magneto/Dante/Shuma (Chrisis theorycrafted it the other day, want to try it out) and lets see how it goes. I really like Dante second more than Vergil, and I miss being in a situation where I always have assists to help the character.

Strange on point with Vergil/Ammy behind him does not really get a lot of support unfortunately besides the Ammy THC.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Sentinel takes a ton of skill to play right.

In what way? Execution not so much. What's the hardest things Sent has to do execution-wise? I'd say harddrive loops, that hot as fuck grab to command grab to HSF option select, or the infinite.

Nearly no one hits the infinite so that doesn't count, it's not like it vital to playing Sent anyways, at least not now. The other two are easy. Do you know how to tiger knee? Did you know you can cancel normals into specials into hypers? Good then you know how to do these two.

So I take back my original statement.

Sentinel is not hard to "play as". He's fucking hard to "win with".

Dahbomb

Doing fly/unfly while spacing normals is where the difficulty comes in playing Sentinel.

Also as Vergil you aren't charging Round Trip 24/7 like Zero.

Darksim

Darksim, did you get time to test the data on Deadpool's teleport?

I won't be home for a while, last time I turned my xbox on I was consumed with testing out the new Dante combo route, and didn't even hook up my capture card. Hopefully I will remember when I get back home.

Also as Vergil you aren't charging Round Trip 24/7 like Zero.

I charge Round Trip 24/7..

But, only because it's a Zero habit. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though.

Azure J

It's just the Cold Shower > Standing M > etc. combos that were posted a few days ago.

Oh, ok.

Edit: Striders in here, when you do the Excalibur jump loops, you confirm with j.MH then Excalibur L or do you just hit j.M then Excalibur? I'm trying to put some work into non-Dark Strider, but it's weird that nothing new has developed since SaisshuKessen put out his combo scraps videos. There are seriously no tutorials for him anymore.

Darksim

Edit: Striders in here, when you do the Excalibur jump loops, you confirm with j.MH then Excalibur L or do you just hit j.M then Excalibur? I'm trying to put some work into non-Dark Strider, but it's weird that nothing new has developed since SaisshuKessen put out his combo scraps videos. There are seriously no tutorials for him anymore.

I don't do that combo because it scales pathetically, but you do j.MH then Excalibur. I just do j.M > dj.HS > Summon Formation B > Dash > Fire Formation B > Dash > S > j.M > dj.HS > blah.

Azure J

I don't do that combo because it scales pathetically, but you do j.MH then Excalibur. I just do j.M > dj.HS > Summon Formation B > Dash > Fire Formation B > Dash > S > j.M > dj.HS > blah.

Literally my only Strider combo of note without X-Factor on is the Wall Cling sequence with three Grams in there. Everything else is just positioning, attempts at Tiger/Bird Bomb Oki, resets and lots of movement. I still feel like there's some method of solo damage dealing there for Strider (Formation B - Gram L loops are the closest to what I'm thinking) that we haven't thought of yet, but I'm at a total loss discovering it.

It's cool though because if a 480 - 500K combo can turn into a throw reset and be done all over again, I'd say that's a big boon to his non-Dark anchor play as well.

Dahbomb

I think I am done with this CJ showstoppa avatar. Someone hook me up with an avatar of DmC Vergil rocking the fedora.

Man seems like this topic is moving at such a faster pace than the last one. It must be cause the new OT is still fresh.

And despite RE6's flaws I am still enjoying it very much, thank you.

Yeah, why is it that there are no good non-XF3 Strider combos videos? He should have some sweet possibilities...

well, I think my annoyance of cold star getting bopped and general frustration with only being able to situationally use it (seriously, its not hard to punish at all) is leading me to reconsider Vergil/Strange/Ammy. Its kinda fun on paper, but its a bit better Doom/Ammy against zoning but far worse against rushdown. I'll play with it from time to time, but I'm gonan start fooling with a new team for the weekend.

This morning I'm gonna fool with Magneto/Dante/Shuma (Chrisis theorycrafted it the other day, want to try it out) and lets see how it goes. I really like Dante second more than Vergil, and I miss being in a situation where I always have assists to help the character.

Strange on point with Vergil/Ammy behind him does not really get a lot of support unfortunately besides the Ammy THC.
Hahaha, Magneto/Dante/Shuma-Gorath is not a good team IMO. You're basically playing 2 characters because Shuma-Gorath is such an ass tier anchor, and Dante and Magneto already have such good vertical control that Mystic Ray isn't as necessary as many other, stronger horizontal assists.

In what way? Execution not so much. What's the hardest things Sent has to do execution-wise? I'd say harddrive loops, that hot as fuck grab to command grab to HSF option select, or the infinite.

Nearly no one hits the infinite so that doesn't count, it's not like it vital to playing Sent anyways, at least not now. The other two are easy. Do you know how to tiger knee? Did you know you can cancel normals into specials into hypers? Good then you know how to do these two.

So I take back my original statement.

Sentinel is not hard to "play as". He's fucking hard to "win with".
By "play as", we mean "use well". Every character is equally easy to "play as" if you just mean selecting the character. Sentinel means having to constantly fly/unfly everything, having a duty to completely control the area around you because he's so huge, and needing to perfectly mess up your opponent's mind for command grab setups. I have massive respect to anyone who uses Sentinel and does well outside of XF3. It's a lot of constant stress, which is part of why I dropped him.

I won't be home for a while, last time I turned my xbox on I was consumed with testing out the new Dante combo route, and didn't even hook up my capture card. Hopefully I will remember when I get back home.

I charge Round Trip 24/7..

But, only because it's a Zero habit. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though.
I just can't get a grip on charging Round Trip 24/7 while also playing strong footsies. It's just too hard, and I'm missing my L button (no way do I have the execution level to swap buttons; my brain is so bad at this stuff that when Vergil dies I hold L with Dormammu when he comes in).

Alright guys, I'm leaving for the tourney. My Marvel pool is at 3 PM, so wish me luck or something.
Good luck! Will it be streamed?

I think I am done with this CJ showstoppa avatar. Someone hook me up with an avatar of DmC Vergil rocking the fedora.
Is this acceptance of DmC I am seeing?

Man seems like this topic is moving at such a faster pace than the last one. It must be cause the new OT is still fresh.

And despite RE6's flaws I am still enjoying it very much, thank you.
New OT and a major always changes everything up. Watching the level of play at Season's Beatings rejuvenates the spirit.

Dahbomb

I am not leaving the thread just retiring from playing the game in a competitive manner.

I am a man of my words, that avatar will be worn on the day of evo 2013. I ain't going anywhere until then.

I am going to ease myself into that avatar by first rocking the Vergil fedora one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alright I finished 3-2 in the tournament. Feeling pretty good here, I did much better than I expected for my first US Marvel tournament. My strategies generally worked out well. I think I finished somewhere in top 8.

I was playing the team of Firebrand/IM/Sentinel almost exclusively throughout the tournament. I had a simple plan: Fill screen with hitboxes using assists and then get in with Firebrand, make the opponent guess and initiate the FB vortex. After every hard knockdown I called Repulsar Blast and no matter where they rolled they had to block it after which they got hit by the instant overhead. The first 2 players that I played against didn't catch on to this too quick and just kept getting opened up. They were able to get past by my Firebrand but IM cleaned up, their remaining characters couldn't get in. First 2 players were using Wolverine/Doom/Wesker and Wolverine/Ryu/Nova. I caught them mashing Swiss Cheese a lot so that pretty much tells you the level of play here. The Wesker was really random during XF in terms of his choices but I just flew around until he made a mistake. Same for the Nova anchor. Most people here still believe Wesker is god tier so it was a shocker when IM closed out the match against Wesker... felt real good there.

Next match was against a regular here and he bodied me fairly convincingly. Team was Zero/Dante/Vergil and he had the LL down pat. After not being able to play the first match I switched order to Sentinel 2nd which helped out a lot as after FB died I got to play the game even win a match thanks to derp Sentinel play. Cr.M is unblockable everywhere and people don't give Repulsar Blast the respect it deserves which allowed me to squeeze out the game. However once his Vergil got started my team was done. Surprisingly only my Sentinel was able to do something as I knew all the Vergil tricks that are possible and used his armor to beat his block strings/mix ups and even Helm breaker. Thank god for the machine but I lost here and was in losers.

First match in losers was against an anchor Morrigan player with Vergil on point, he usually switched around Doom and Magneto in there. The Vergil was good, the Morrigan was ass it was basically a 2 man team. I was able to get Vergil a couple of times mashing hyper/Helm Breaker on incoming with a meaty Bon Voyage. Magneto also wasn't that hot, I was able to catch him in a SJ combo with IM which got some buzz in the crowd (it was the easy mode combo but no one noticed). I played a super defensive and super simple game with IM, went for the KK combo only when the opponent was out of reach from the launcher otherwise I did the fraud cr.L, cr.M and S, I was too afraid of missing combos but it paid off. Everyone in the tournament was dropping mad combos and I knew this before getting in as the regulars here missed combos on the regular. I got super salty for missing an Iron Avenger for a loss but I won against that one.

My final match was against an optimized Hawkeye team (Doom/Strider backing him up), it was a wash out 0-3. Team didn't have a chance, everyone on the squad gets beat by him. I didn't run into the DP + Strider player, he made 2nd place and another Zero + Vergil player won the tournament.

All the team members on the team pulled their weight even Sentinel who got me some scrubby wins. People don't respect Sentinel anymore which allows you to squeeze out a few undeserved wins. People don't respect IM either and push buttons in the air, even though a lot of those hits from IM didn't lead into full combos like they should in theory land... the damage still added up and eventually they got frustrated by the zoning. Vergil and Hawkeye consistently beat this team bad, I tried all sorts of things and gimmicks but couldn't beat them. I promised I wouldn't use Vergil but in those match ups he would've been brought out for sure.
Good stuff.

Actually I am thinking of retiring from Marvel and going back into the MOBA genre. Probably HoN or DOTA 2. Even then I will be playing casually until I finish licensing exams. Marvel is too heavy of a crack to be using at this point in my life.
Oh so your retiring from Marvel after not playing it for months now? :p

But seriously MOBA games are a bigger crack IMO. Larger investment of time every time you go in too. That's why I can't play them. Fuck playing 45 minute endurance tests at a time.

Alright guys, I'm leaving for the tourney. My Marvel pool is at 3 PM, so wish me luck or something.
Godspeed dude! Post your progress here or in the FGW thread!

Dahbomb

I am playing mid wars in HoN these days. They are usually just 15 mins long and there is a shit ton of killing that happens in a single game. Some of the people who play here have MMR of 1900+ which means they are among the best in the country.

Solune

Someone posted Frank West's picture hitbox for me:
http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2012/01/24_umvc3hitboxes01.jpg

I might try Frank/Dormammu/Morrigan. Dormammu gets Frank to level 3 in a combo, and if I ever THC it's an instant level 4 as long as my opponent isn't in the corner because Finishing Shower takes so long to finish.
I wonder how long you'll be before you switch him out again =p.
I think the Firebrand/Skrull/Sentinel team is the best there is for him unless you want Skrull on point, then I'd do Skrull/Sentinel/Haggar. Sentinel is Skrull's best assist, flat out. If you want to go crazy with Meteor Smash, the only other assists that let him do so that I know of are Molecular Shield (lol, right?) and Bolts of Balthakk. Bolts gives you full combos off of Meteor Smash like drones do.
That's one of the reasons I don't want to play him other than his strange execution that's required. And yah if I was going to play Skrull I want to play him on point.

I loved the Chris team! I hate the damn trolling with prone shots. -_-

I recommend superjumping across the screen more with Chris and using gunfire on the way down. It's way more effective than you would think.
Prone + Vajra is a legit strategy, wasn't trolling!
That's one problem, definitely. However, maybe I don't need Ouroboros with him. I think he's an amazing anchor without it.
He's great as long as you have X-factor, once that's gone though... I mean theoretically he can kill in two combos, but getting that off requires godlike execution and nerves of steel.
That's the worst that Hsien-ko team has ever done. Goddamn Zero! Ideally, if Doom is on the team he never sees play. I consider Doom, even though he's a good character, to basically be a trade off of having 2 super characters vs. 3 normal characters. If I get to Doom, it's game over.
You're the first and only player that makes me feel that, putting Doom on my team is pointless lol. It's why I've started my team crisis.
He's not high execution, but it's very demanding on my execution to play him without assists. For the people who use him with at least one assist, you can charge Round Trip and just teleport + assist to get in and start stuff. I have to footsies my way in, and it's way hard without any assists while holding that button.

Edit: Also, it's more about him being boring than beyond my execution level. It's kind of like a "eh, I'm not enjoying him enough to put the effort in" thing. I don't like that Vergil is so ground based. All of his aerials blow aside from Helm Breaker.
Ah I see what you meant now. Most people prefer to put Vergil as 2nd or Anchor which makes sense. He is pretty repetitive and getting the most mileage out of him is abusing his DHC or Dark Vergil. I can see why most people consider him boring. I think It'll take a while longer before his play starts to evolve and stuff comes out like Maximum Vergil videos.
One thing I love about Dark Harmonizer is that it taught me to play the game without relying on assists. I used to feel the need to wait until missiles were on the screen before doing anything, and now I just feel so freeeeeeee.
I think I will try playing like this again, I used to do it to save assists for Spencer's damage output. Maybe I can learn proper control!
Last Edit:
Solune, you need to get me on your PSN friends list.
Also, weirdest thing that happened in our matches was when I raw tagged Morrigan in while you were throwing a bunch of dogs out via Strider, and she "hit" one (hit animation appeared) and it didn't hurt her. Wild.
Your friends list is full, I deleted someone from my list to make room for you so either send me a request or let me know when you've made a spot. And yah I guess the rawtag beat the Formation A1 clean. They have really poor durability.

Godlike combos as per usual.

I wonder how long you'll be before you switch him out again =p.
Probably not too long! I'm not sure if you remember me during Vanilla, but I used to do this with both teammates for Dormammu! It wasn't until a month before Vanilla that I decided that I liked Dormammu/Morrigan as a permanent combination. My launch team was Ryu/Dormammu/Sentinel, and then it became Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom (Missiles), and then...well, it has been all over the place, I'll tell you. I don't consider it a bad thing to keep switching it up. I might never even figure out a third I really like, but it's best to keep working on getting there. In fact, there were even points where I came here and said I was going to drop Dormammu, because I couldn't find any team combinations I liked for him. Who knew that playing without assist support could work so well?

Strider and Frank West might last a month like Vergil did. They might last 3 months like Firebrand did. They might last a day like Skrull did. I still use the old combinations when I'm bored, though. It's good to go back to old things and remind yourself why they didn't work. Sometimes you learn to approach things in new ways. Near launch I tried to use Morrigan, and quickly said "fuck that" because she was waaaaay beyond my execution barrier. I still mess her stuff up a lot, but she's playable to me.

I've even considered giving Wesker a run, because he plays pretty well without assists if you have the patience to troll for gunshots all day. I'll also give Spencer a shot, likely.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to play him other than his strange execution that's required. And yah if I was going to play Skrull I want to play him on point.
He has some weird stuff going on. Especially Rolling Hook. A triple forward? -_-

Prone + Vajra is a legit strategy, wasn't trolling!
Oh, it's trolling alright! :p

He's great as long as you have X-factor, once that's gone though... I mean theoretically he can kill in two combos, but getting that off requires godlike execution and nerves of steel.
I've made plenty of comebacks with Morrigan outside of X-Factor. It's a weird combination in one person, but I need the ability to be a threat to my opponent at any one moment, but I also have a lot of patience.

You're the first and only player that makes me feel that, putting Doom on my team is pointless lol. It's why I've started my team crisis.
Great! Haha. Doom is getting overestimated in the scene right now because everyone plays rushdown, and Doom not only has great assists, but he's an anti-rushdown character. At Season's Beatings we started to see people wisen up, and people are starting to recognize that Doom is free to zoners. Even characters like Taskmaster just obliterate Doom because his movement is so limited.

Ah I see what you meant now. Most people prefer to put Vergil as 2nd or Anchor which makes sense. He is pretty repetitive and getting the most mileage out of him is abusing his DHC or Dark Vergil. I can see why most people consider him boring. I think It'll take a while longer before his play starts to evolve and stuff comes out like Maximum Vergil videos.
Even if he has fancy stuff, that's not what it's about for me. I like that, with Dormammu, I can do anything in this game. Rushdown through trijumps, teleport, zone, punish - it's amazing. He has shortcomings that I accept for all of that, namely his slow normals, huge hitbox, slow movement, and having the worst goddamn blocking animation in the game (I cannot stress enough how frustrating this is).

I think I will try playing like this again, I used to do it to save assists for Spencer's damage output. Maybe I can learn proper control!
I think the lack of assist control is why so many happy birthdays happen even at high level play, and people think the game is random. I'll walk you through some common situations I see happening with a lot of players at all levels; these are all general "you"s, not you in particular:
1) You are zoning. You just threw a projectile while calling an assist, and I didn't see it coming, so I had to block it all. I decide to sit and see what you'll do next. You fire another shot, and I block it. I see that your assist has cooled down, and I bet you're feeling confident in your control of the match, so you're probably going to call the assist while firing another shot. So I throw Chaotic Flame out - I can do this because I have so much meter, and one Chaotic Flame block/whiff means nothing. It generally turns out I am right, though, and I XFC into Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame and kill two. Now it's your anchor vs. Dormammu+Morrigan.

2) You are mid-range against Dormammu. You want to approach but are scared of getting anti-aired by Dormammu's c.M. So you call an assist while jumping toward me, thinking that your normals will cover your jump and the assist will lead to a mix-up, or that I will hit you out of the air, but your assist will hit me, so you'll get a combo anyway. I see all of this, though, so as soon as you reach the peak of your jump, I Chaotic Flame and catch you and the assist.

See, the problem in both of these situations, and the reason people lose assists so often, is they think the assist is there to create their offense. It's often really effective, so I don't want to pretend that this is a bad way to go about your business. It's one of the things that make assists so good. However, this means that your assist is protecting you, and not the other way around. So if your opponent happens to sense the assist call coming, it's not going to be pretty.

Your friends list is full, I deleted someone from my list to make room for you so either send me a request or let me know when you've made a spot. And yah I guess the rawtag beat the Formation A1 clean. They have really poor durability.
But raw tags have no durability, so how did that happen?!

I cleared some people off my friends list and sent you a friend request. I wish PSN let me annotate names. Some people I look at and think "How do I know that person?" It's probably someone I know, but I know them by another username. Gah.

Edit: I wish the costume pack would go on sale...

Solune

Probably not too long! I'm not sure if you remember me during Vanilla, but I used to do this with both teammates for Dormammu! It wasn't until a month before Vanilla that I decided that I liked Dormammu/Morrigan as a permanent combination. My launch team was Ryu/Dormammu/Sentinel, and then it became Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom (Missiles), and then...well, it has been all over the place, I'll tell you. I don't consider it a bad thing to keep switching it up. I might never even figure out a third I really like, but it's best to keep working on getting there. In fact, there were even points where I came here and said I was going to drop Dormammu, because I couldn't find any team combinations I liked for him. Who knew that playing without assist support could work so well?
Of course I remember OG Marvel minions. Hell Beef didn't get Marvel until Ultimate.
I don't consider it a bad thing either to switch teams. It's just I have OCD when it comes to playing multiple teams I don't like to have repeat characters. Though recently I have been experimenting with multiple team orders. Most frequently The Brotherhood™. I'm actually looking to play Tron team like Nert to abuse lunch time DHCs. So order of the day is probably to train with Tron and Spiderman.
Strider and Frank West might last a month like Vergil did. They might last 3 months like Firebrand did. They might last a day like Skrull did. I still use the old combinations when I'm bored, though. It's good to go back to old things and remind yourself why they didn't work. Sometimes you learn to approach things in new ways. Near launch I tried to use Morrigan, and quickly said "fuck that" because she was waaaaay beyond my execution barrier. I still mess her stuff up a lot, but she's playable to me.

I've even considered giving Wesker a run, because he plays pretty well without assists if you have the patience to troll for gunshots all day. I'll also give Spencer a shot, likely.
I like that now that Marvel has been grounded longer, people have multiple teams and certain players like Chris G have alot of pocket teams. I don't understand why people were so hard on Flocker when he was trying to counterpick Chris G at GFs of SB. I mean they kept telling him to PICK his shit, when the first set he got completely dominated. I like the fact that he tried to mix it up, ultimately it didn't work but I mean, if you're getting bodied 0-3 and you KNOW your strategy isn't working you should try something else.
He has some weird stuff going on. Especially Rolling Hook. A triple forward? -_-
Yup, that and I hate characters with DD inputs. She-Hulk and Jill, *shudder*
Oh, it's trolling alright! :p
It's smart stuff
I've made plenty of comebacks with Morrigan outside of X-Factor. It's a weird combination in one person, but I need the ability to be a threat to my opponent at any one moment, but I also have a lot of patience.
I don't think Strider is terrible in non X-factor, I'd like to see more people try to use him on point actually. He's like Akuma in that he's completely self-efficient but does less damage overall.
Even if he has fancy stuff, that's not what it's about for me. I like that, with Dormammu, I can do anything in this game. Rushdown through trijumps, teleport, zone, punish - it's amazing. He has shortcomings that I accept for all of that, namely his slow normals, huge hitbox, slow movement, and having the worst goddamn blocking animation in the game (I cannot stress enough how frustrating this is).
You can remove all of those negatives by playing Zero! Which I caught a brief glimpse of haha.
But raw tags have no durability, so how did that happen?!
Reading the guide "Tiger features 3 low durability points...can even be negated by almost any basic attack..." Sort of serves as a one-hit shield because it absorbs that attack.
I cleared some people off my friends list and sent you a friend request. I wish PSN let me annotate names. Some people I look at and think "How do I know that person?" It's probably someone I know, but I know them by another username. Gah.

Also agreed with the assist talk, I had to cut it because I don't want to become the "A Black Falcon" of Marvel GAF.

Will get to you once I log in later today.

Of course I remember OG Marvel minions. Hell Beef didn't get Marvel until Ultimate.
I don't consider it a bad thing either to switch teams. It's just I have OCD when it comes to playing multiple teams I don't like to have repeat characters. Though recently I have been experimenting with multiple team orders. Most frequently The Brotherhood™. I'm actually looking to play Tron team like Nert to abuse lunch time DHCs. So order of the day is probably to train with Tron and Spiderman.
Cool. By the way, Lunch Rush -> Astral Vision = 4 Soul Drains.

I like that now that Marvel has been grounded longer, people have multiple teams and certain players like Chris G have alot of pocket teams. I don't understand why people were so hard on Flocker when he was trying to counterpick Chris G at GFs of SB. I mean they kept telling him to PICK his shit, when the first set he got completely dominated. I like the fact that he tried to mix it up, ultimately it didn't work but I mean, if you're getting bodied 0-3 and you KNOW your strategy isn't working you should try something else.
I'm not big on counterpicking. I'd like for the game to not revolve around that. So I try to make teams that have counter-ordering instead.

Yup, that and I hate characters with DD inputs. She-Hulk and Jill, *shudder*
Amaterasu was supposed to be a day 1 character for me. :-/

Smart can still be trolling! :p

I don't think Strider is terrible in non X-factor, I'd like to see more people try to use him on point actually. He's like Akuma in that he's completely self-efficient but does less damage overall.
Indeed. I like that Strider can strike from anywhere at any time.

You can remove all of those negatives by playing Zero! Which I caught a brief glimpse of haha.
Yeah, on that match my dogs were going crazy around the house, so I had to run and coop them up. When I got back I only had time to pick two characters. So my Zero was...yeah, haha. It's pretty bad. I did some lightning pick-ups with him in training mode earlier that day, but I don't have his inputs down.

Zero would be a good third for my team if Vajra didn't exist.

Reading the guide "Tiger features 3 low durability points...can even be negated by almost any basic attack..." Sort of serves as a one-hit shield because it absorbs that attack.
Oh, interesting!

Also agreed with the assist talk, I had to cut it because I don't want to become the "A Black Falcon" of Marvel GAF.
I don't get the black falcon reference.

Will get to you once I log in later today.
No rush. I have to grade a bunch of papers today.

Solune

Cool. By the way, Lunch Rush -> Astral Vision = 4 Soul Drains.
Chris + Morrigan.

c.MH F+H xx Grenade Super DHC Astral Vision > Call Chris (combination punch) Soul Drain xx fly xx Soul Drain.
I'm not big on counterpicking. I'd like for the game to not revolve around that. So I try to make teams that have counter-ordering instead.
I think that's one of the things that bugs me in tournament matches. All assists and team orders have to be the same going into the next match... Why can't you keep the order and surprise the next match by having someone else take point.
Amaterasu was supposed to be a day 1 character for me. :-/
Same.
Yeah, on that match my dogs were going crazy around the house, so I had to run and coop them up. When I got back I only had time to pick two characters. So my Zero was...yeah, haha. It's pretty bad. I did some lightning pick-ups with him in training mode earlier that day, but I don't have his inputs down.
For some reason I thought you went to change diapers for kids.
I don't get the black falcon reference.

Have some sample reviews
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491352
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486617
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473262

He's a pretty cool dude. Just likes to fill the screen with text.

Dahbomb

There used to be a reference on the IGN DMC boards "wow we got ourselves a Dahbomb here". That meant wall of text. It was a smaller community and people actually read what you had to say and back then I had a lot to say. As funny as it may sound, my posts in GAF have been on the very short end especially lately.

Well, I pretty much ended up going 1-2 in every tournament...in 2 out of those it was because my opponent didn't show though.

Still, I didn't do bad in Marvel (I could've gotten to the second round in winners if Rocket hadn't gotten himself killed as assist >__<), and I DID get to play Combofiend in KoF and managed to not get totally steamrolled, so it's good >.>

Mmm, felafel and chicken shawarma for dinner. :-D

Well, I pretty much ended up going 1-2 in every tournament...in 2 out of those it was because my opponent didn't show though.

Still, I didn't do bad in Marvel (I could've gotten to the second round in winners if Rocket hadn't gotten himself killed as assist >__<), and I DID get to play Combofiend in KoF and managed to not get totally steamrolled, so it's good >.>
What was RR thinking? ;-)

There used to be a reference on the IGN DMC boards "wow we got ourselves a Dahbomb here". That meant wall of text. It was a smaller community and people actually read what you had to say and back then I had a lot to say. As funny as it may sound, my posts in GAF have been on the very short end especially lately.
I hope the brevity of your posts doesn't have anything to do with the folks here. It may please/displease you to know that the weekly FGC thread had someone talking about "Dahbomb thesis papers". I love how much you type out, personally.

I'm disappointed we never got a Season's Beating analysis from you. I always repost them on GFAQs and get a lot conversation over them.

Chris + Morrigan.

c.MH F+H xx Grenade Super DHC Astral Vision > Call Chris (combination punch) Soul Drain xx fly xx Soul Drain.
When do you DHC?

I think that's one of the things that bugs me in tournament matches. All assists and team orders have to be the same going into the next match... Why can't you keep the order and surprise the next match by having someone else take point.
Really?

For some reason I thought you went to change diapers for kids.
No kids yet! They cost too much money. :-(

He's a pretty cool dude. Just likes to fill the screen with text.
Oh. Type as much as you like, as long as it has good content.

Dahbomb

I hope the brevity of your posts doesn't have anything to do with the folks here. It may please/displease you to know that the weekly FGC thread had someone talking about "Dahbomb thesis papers". I love how much you type out, personally.

I'm disappointed we never got a Season's Beating analysis from you. I always repost them on GFAQs and get a lot conversation over them.
Oh no it had nothing to do with GAF. I don't mind people saying that stuff, in fact I take it as a compliment. I used to think people don't read it but someone always ends up doing and they get something out of it, I have gotten enough PMs to know this. The reason why I haven't been doing longer posts as of late is because most of the time I am not on a PC these days when I am making posts, I am on my phone. It's extremely difficult to type out long posts on a phone as you would imagine so I cut it short. Plus despite my posting frequency I am actually quite busy most of the time and usually just check my phone for GAF updates, post in between stuff. Phone GAF is pretty awesome.

As far as Seasons Beating go, in terms of what characters were used I think someone already posted the statistics for it. Nova was the most used character in top 16 which was a very interesting statistic for me personally but as the players dwindled more and more Dooms remained until at the end there were like 3/4 Dooms in top 4 and if you include Flocker's fraud Doom then that makes it 4/4. Honestly speaking the later portion of the SB beating tournament lacked in pizazz and the way the players were playing plus the atmosphere in the room was evident of it. Tournament went on too late, SSF4 was super hype with the international match up and HUGE upset and everyone was just so tired after so many of those money matches. The peak of Marvel was the FChamp vs ChrisG set at SB, everything after that was just running through the motions. ChrisG out played and out picked every body and as you would imagine there isn't much to talk about when ChrisG beats everyone like that.

What's more interesting to take away from SB is not the tournament (well the infamous tie could be talked over some more) but the Ft15 set. I was actually going to do something different for that set where I had a system in plan for calculating damage inflicted by point characters (chip included of course) and then used that to project the efficiency of particular characters in the match up. It would give empirical data in the match up. I realized after watching the set for a second time that Hawkeye did a lot of damage over time in the set due to chip and just sniping with Gimlet and on the other side Dormammu did the heaviest work on FChamp's team. Both Dooms were pretty much secondary characters in that set which is interesting when you consider that he is technically considered a top tier. Only problem with my system was that because there was so much Dr Doom missile hitting around and chipping people it's hard to take that into account. Of course the system was mostly estimation but the proportions would've been more or less accurate and that's what the important statistic is.

Seriously, give me thesis on Mahvel. Love reading the long essays intelligent posters have to write. Really interesting.
Motion seconded.
Indeed! Also, I'll note that if I only respond to a part of your post Dahbomb, it's just because I'm trying to cut down on page-scrolling-ness. Sometimes I just have nothing to contribute.

"God fucking damn it, I asked for a bear trap, not a spitfire!"

...no wait, that's when he was on point.
I don't even understand why he has so many traps...

DahBomb said:
What's more interesting to take away from SB is not the tournament (well the infamous tie could be talked over some more) but the Ft15 set. I was actually going to do something different for that set where I had a system in plan for calculating damage inflicted by point characters (chip included of course) and then used that to project the efficiency of particular characters in the match up. It would give empirical data in the match up. I realized after watching the set for a second time that Hawkeye did a lot of damage over time in the set due to chip and just sniping with Gimlet and on the other side Dormammu did the heaviest work on FChamp's team. Both Dooms were pretty much secondary characters in that set which is interesting when you consider that he is technically considered a top tier. Only problem with my system was that because there was so much Dr Doom missile hitting around and chipping people it's hard to take that into account. Of course the system was mostly estimation but the proportions would've been more or less accurate and that's what the important statistic is.
I would love to see this. Hidden Missile chip isn't too hard to calculate, since you can figure out it's chip damage in training mode and just apply to every situation it hits in. The more difficult part is when Hidden Missile hits.

Which is why somebody needs to calculate how much chip Hawkeye does to an opponent before he performs his BnB. Then add the two together to get the damage output against certain archetypes. I think the information will be very mind shattering.

Dahbomb

The reason why I thought about doing something like that is watching the set you realize the bulk of damage inflicted by both players is mostly chip damage. I am talking 2 whole characters being chipped and no clean hits are made from both parties in the process.

mr. puppy

Banned
As far as Seasons Beating go, in terms of what characters were used I think someone already posted the statistics for it. Nova was the most used character in top 16 which was a very interesting statistic for me personally but as the players dwindled more and more Dooms remained until at the end there were like 3/4 Dooms in top 4 and if you include Flocker's fraud Doom then that makes it 4/4. Honestly speaking the later portion of the SB beating tournament lacked in pizazz and the way the players were playing plus the atmosphere in the room was evident of it. Tournament went on too late, SSF4 was super hype with the international match up and HUGE upset and everyone was just so tired after so many of those money matches. The peak of Marvel was the FChamp vs ChrisG set at SB, everything after that was just running through the motions. ChrisG out played and out picked every body and as you would imagine there isn't much to talk about when ChrisG beats everyone like that.

So the big thing about Nova vs. the other most favorite tourney point characters (lets say.....Mags, Morrigan, Vergil, Zero, Wolverine, Dante) is that he has a beam to punish assists, in particle missiles. Thats pretty much the reason he always does well. From that point on, people are so afraid to call their assist that its Drones/Beam+Nova vs. Their point (assuming start of the round goes well). After that point, you either win using Nova's throws or you are bad at nova.

For Hawkeye with ChrisG, I'd say the most surprising part of the whole set was how little of a fact Hawkeye's weak mobility was. He was able to come in safely, not get mixed up, and had a lot of ways to get out of things. This was, of course, largely due to ChrisG, but it was still awesome to watch.

I almost forgot to ask, what do you guys think about the synergy in a Vergil/Raccoon team? I'm only considering it to have a team with a son of Sparda in it, but still.

smurfx

get some go again
the most amazing thing to me is that dahbomb after hyping up vergil for ages doesn't even use him!

Top Bottom