• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Spider-man Season One |OT|: Because Being "Spectacular" is just not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

jHhu9.jpg

The centerpiece of an upcoming Marvel programming block on Disney XD, this animated series from Marvel follows Peter Parker who, as the storyline begins, has been Spider-Man for just one year. He’s fought villains, saved lives, but still has much to learn about being a super-hero. Now, Nick Fury gives Peter the chance to go to the next level — to train to be a real super-hero and become The Ultimate Spider-Man. But before he can do that, Peter will have to learn how to work with a team of fellow teenage super-heroes.

The series’ award-winning creative team includes Paul Dini (“Batman: The Animated Series,” “Lost”), the creative powerhouse Man of Action Studios (creators of “Ben 10 and “Generator Rex”), comprised of lauded creators Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau and Steven T. Seagle; and Brian Michael Bendis (visionary behind Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man comic series).

Premiere Date: April 1, 2012 11 am Eastern, Part of Marvel Universe Block on Disney XD
Characters

Peter Parker (Spider-man)
Bu6nY.jpg
NDDgF.jpg

Despite being a Super Hero, Peter is very much an average 16-year-old. With the added responsibilities of being Spider-Man, juggling all the aspects of his life will continually challenge him. Whether it's dealing with getting home in time for dinner with his Aunt, keeping up his grades, or capturing the Super Villain of the week, Peter will always have his hands full.

Nick Fury
TIEGp.jpg

The DIRECTOR OF S.H.I.E.L.D and the world's top cop. Fury can't have super-powered kids like Spider-Man running around untrained, unsupported, causing damage, and risking the lives of innocent bystanders in the process… so he's decided to train them.

Power Man (Luke Cage)
8Bsiz.jpg
rdO59.jpg

A former street kid who's not quite used to the Super Hero world, Luke is a no-nonsense tough guy who serves as the emotional heart and big brother of the group. He is fiercely loyal and nearly fearless in battle. Luke's unbreakable skin and super strength make him the bruiser out of all the trainees. He's the first guy to jump into a fight. However, he can still be hurt by concussive blasts and other forms of energy.

Iron Fist (Danny Rand)
r3vho.jpg
7EMlc.jpg

Danny is always focused yet relaxed - more Zen-focused than chill surfer dude. But when Danny turns into Iron Fist, he becomes very rigid with perfect posture. A very Yin/Yang character. Danny is THE Danny Rand - the 17-year-old head of the giant Rand Corporation. His wealth rivals Osborn's - but you'd never know it from his laid-back attitude. However, as Iron Fist, he takes his powers very seriously.

White Tiger (Ava Ayala)
CgvDg.jpg
x1ZOa.jpg

White Tiger takes everything very seriously. A constant overachiever, she wants to be better and wants the group to be better. With less flashy powers, she feels like she has to work the hardest. A skilled acrobatic fighter with feline sense and claws. Ava wears a small Tiger amulet on her belt that gives her supernatural powers.

Nova (Sam Alexander)
yJYf0.jpg
NchUy.jpg

The hyperactive loose cannon of the group. Sam always feels like he has something to prove. Sam's powers derive from the Nova Force, which is channeled through his helmet. These powers include flight, enhanced durability, and the ability to absorb and release pulses of energy. However, Sam does not know the extent of his powers, let alone how they work.

Villains (who will appear in first season)

Dr. Doom
ccO0A.jpg

Ruler of the European nation of Latveria. One of the most infamous villains on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Most Wanted List, he has escaped capture due to his powers and diplomatic status. Early on, Spidey and the S.H.I.E.L.D. trainees travel to Latveria and try to capture Doom, but quickly find themselves in over their heads.

Venom
N7DNT.jpg

A symbiotic created by Doc Ock using Spider-Man's DNA. Has the ability to latch onto anyone and use their powers while taking control of their bodies.

Doctor Octopus
an47X.jpg

Doc Ock cannot move or breathe without the high-tech Octo suit. Like a real octopus, Doc Ock is always hiding in the shadows, concealed in the cracks of his lab. Doc Ock's lab is under the HUDSON RIVER- with a secret tunnel that leads directly back to the OsCorp Tower.

Others

Flash Thompson
zY10A.jpg

Still Peter's tormentor while being Spidey's biggest fan.

Mary Jane Watson
Wt8du.jpg

Agent/Principal Coulson
(voiced by Clark Gregg)
WV9UK.jpg

Stan the janitor
(voiced by Stan Lee)
yKIK8.jpg

Trailers and preview
Preview 1
Preview 2
Trailer 2

Behind the scenes Video

One Hour Premiere Description

April 1st, 2012 at 11:00am - 11:37am (ET/PT) - "#1 Great Power"
One year after becoming Spider-Man, a teenage Peter Parker is approached by Nick Fury to train with S.H.I.E.L.D. Spidey turns Fury down, but soon finds that villainous forces may require him to join the big leagues after all, in the series premiere of Ultimate Spider-Man.

April 1st, 2012 at 11:37am - 12:00pm (ET/PT) - "#2 Great Responsibility"
When Spider-Man accepts Nick Fury's offer to be trained by S.H.I.E.L.D. to become the Ultimate Spider-Man, he discovers that he will be joining forces with four other teenage Super Heroes - Nova, White Tiger, Power Man and Iron Fist, in a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
No fucking way this lives up to Spectacular. Fuck off Disney.
A lot of people didn't think much of spectacular initally based on the style. I say give it a shot

And wow at luke rocking the current power man suit.

Nesotenso

No fucking way this lives up to Spectacular. Fuck off Disney.

sigh, I was expecting this.

Spectacular was solely owned by Sony.

I haven't seen this yet but the preview comic was good. One of my concerns was that Peter's larger cast would be ignored but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Slayven

Too cheap to buy the name from them. They could have retained the same creative team and continued the story without the name.
From what I understand even if they did do that they would still have to pay Sony. So better to start new for them.

Edited the OP to include Nova, can't believe I forgot him.

No Rich?

Nice to see Luke Cage is in the series.

Weird seeing a teen Nova and Iron Fist.
The original Nova started as a teen.

When I first heard about this show, I thought that it would be a literal translation of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics; but this actually looks pretty fun.

Nesotenso

Too cheap to buy the name from them. They could have retained the same creative team and continued the story without the name.

Wiseman moved on to Young Justice.

Animation studio was Sony's and Marvel recently opened their own animation studio in California. This is their own first in house project.

Marvel has an in house branch now just like WB animation.

f0rk

The Ultimate Spiderman comics had such a great run I wish they didn't keep spreading the use of Ultimate around to unrelated spin offs.

Nesotenso

No Rich?

The original Nova started as a teen.

From what I understand, Loeb named the character after his son and just like White Tiger it carries over into the 616. I would have loved Rich but it's ok. Comic Rich better not be dead (or forgotten )

I'll be honest and admit I'm still pissed that Spectacular ended on that cliff but I'm open enough to give this one a chance. And Tara Strong's take on MJ should be interesting to listen to.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really miss Spectacular but will check this out.

CO_Andy

Jeez. I find it hard not to hate this after so much goodness from Spectacular Spidey.

+ Doc Doom

- Mary Jane
- Super hero squad

Ithil

Eh, I'm bored of MJ after the movies. Would have preferred more Gwen (especally with the same voice).

I will give this a chance of course. Just will be tough to see yet another SM world being developed from scratch after so much of Spectacular was devoted to putting together a huge and detailed world for the show to explore (which it only got to do in the second season).

FillerB

in the ultimate universe Venom is actually part of the super soldier program, or maybe it was a medical thing, I don't remember. Either way it was man made and not an alien.

This is all from vague memory
Was an attempt at a cure for cancer made by peters and eddie brocks father. Thing didn't work out as intended and iirc SHIELD took over and weaponized it like they try and fail with everything else. Years later Eddie Brock stole the stuff from a research laboratory and shit hit the van

2th

Banned
This is all from vague memory
Was an attempt at a cure for cancer made by peters and eddie brocks father. Thing didn't work out as intended and iirc SHIELD took over and weaponized it like they try and fail with everything else. Years later Eddie Brock stole the stuff from a research laboratory and shit hit the van

sounds about right. Its been ages since I've read that stuff.

Slayven

That's because Venom's "true" origin sucks. There's a reason it's been tampered with in almost every incarnation since.
Being from The Secret Wars makes it awesome. And impacts Spidey more because he is directly responible for Venom being on earth. Instead of just being a space accident.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That's because Venom's "true" origin sucks. There's a reason it's been tampered with in almost every incarnation since.

The alien symbiote part of it is manageable. The entire setup around it is too much of a hassle and not worth it if you're going to include it.

yencid

Smart to put it on Sunday at 11 because if they put it on Saturday at 11 no one would watch.

Ill keep my eye out on this. I really want a new X-Men cartoon again.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I like Spectacular's take on Venom best so far. They did an excellent job distilling the dynamic. Only the visual design was a bit iffy.

Cwarrior

well the art couldn't be more ugly then Spectacular spiderman.

spiderman sure looks like a douche in this.

started marathoning avengers earth's mightiest heroes on episonde 8, I've never liked the avengers groub by god damn best thing to come out of marvel in forever.

Wiseblade

Like I said in the last USM thread we had, I'll try my hardest not to hold the fact that this isn't Spectacular against it. Man of Action and Bendis working on it give me hope that it'll be at least decent.

Can't believe they replaced SSM with Spider-Man and his shitty friends. SMH at teenage Iron Fist, zombie Doc Ock, and random ass Venom powers. Sick of Marvel continually shoving Nick Fury into everything, fuck this.

Cwarrior

Spectacular is so overrated it's not even close to avengers earth's mightiest heroes good(what a shitty name) so I don't get the big deal.

2th

Banned
Like I said in the last USM thread we had, I'll try my hardest not to hold the fact that this isn't Spectacular against it. Man of Action and Bendis working on it give me hope that it'll be at least decent.

Paul Dini should be the biggest sign that this should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom