• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Spider-man Season One |OT|: Because Being "Spectacular" is just not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

I've read the twist and how the series ended, but that happening on a Saturday morning super hero show for 7 year olds was pretty fucking nutty. Especially considering how the show was just brutalized with restrictions. I mean, Morbius the fucking vampire couldn't even say blood.
Marvel's mistake is thinking their source material could even be work as a kid show. If they really wanted these to work, they'd have to be way more creative with violence and character drama in the comics. 90s Spider-Man did just that in many aspects.

They couldn't translate everything from the comics, but they did have some great ideas. For example, how Peter manages to redeem Spider-Carnage. Madame Webb spends 1-2 seasons training Peter to fight with his mind and heart. This creates scenarios where Peter can actually struggle but not have the kind of darkness featured in the comics.

It is kind of hokey after so many years, but the voice acting really sold me on it and X-Men.

strobogo

Banned
X-Men holds up much, much better. In terms of pretty much everything. VA, animation, writing, general awesomeness. I can deal with the iffy animation at times on Spiderman, but the colors always bothered me. Everything looked like those generic Fisher Price family figures. The ones with the mom in her mom jeans and dad in a sweater. Everything just seemed overly pastel. And the copious awful CGI that just made the colors looking even worse.

I just don't get why X-Men and Batman could get away with so much more than Spiderman.

X-Men holds up much, much better. In terms of pretty much everything. VA, animation, writing, general awesomeness. I can deal with the iffy animation at times on Spiderman, but the colors always bothered me. Everything looked like those generic Fisher Price family figures. The ones with the mom in her mom jeans and dad in a sweater. Everything just seemed overly pastel. And the copious awful CGI that just made the colors looking even worse.

I just don't get why X-Men and Batman could get away with so much more than Spiderman.

I think both X-Men and Batman were far superior to 90s Spider-Man, but...

Marvel can do these darker Spiderman stories like DC does with these animated films. I honestly don't know why Marvel just doesn't copy and pastes DC's formula when it comes to animation.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel can do these darker Spiderman stories like DC does with these animated films. I honestly don't know why Marvel just doesn't copy and pastes DC's formula when it comes to animation.

Maybe their animation department needs a shake up? I remember Weisman saying he'd love to do a Death of Gwen Stacy animated movie for Spectacular Spider-Man, but alas we all know how that's no longer a possibility.

Maybe their animation department needs a shake up? I remember Weisman saying he'd love to do a Death of Gwen Stacy animated movie for Spectacular Spider-Man, but alas we all know how that's no longer a possibility.
They should just go ahead and do it anyway, get the same crew together and knock it out of the park. There doesn't need to be more connection to spectacular than the voicecast, we'll know what's up anyway.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There doesn't need to be more connection to spectacular than the voicecast, we'll know what's up anyway.

The entertainment industry higher ups don't really hold audiences in such a high regard, hence why they keep doing origin stories and DC had dumb stuff like an embargo on Batman villains in the rest of the DCAU because they thought it would confuse people.

The entertainment industry higher ups don't really hold audiences in such a high regard, hence why they keep doing origin stories and DC had dumb stuff like an embargo on Batman villains in the rest of the DCAU because they thought it would confuse people.
Crushing dreams, one at a time.

Anybody still watching this show? Lol only Loeb could make a show featuring Siderman, Nova, Iron Fist, Wite Tiger boring as all hell. What a fucking disappointment. Well season two premiered tonight. Lol

Weenerz

Banned
I watch and enjoy the show, even if it is directed more to kids. Did not know S2 started tonight, will check the dvr.

Silkworm

Anybody still watching this show? Lol only Loeb could make a show featuring Siderman, Nova, Iron Fist, Wite Tiger boring as all hell. What a fucking disappointment. Well season two premiered tonight. Lol

Tonight? I thought new episodes would air on Sunday mornings like Season One? Oh Disney with it's crazy scheduling (though this is still better than midnight on Monday for poor Tron:Uprising and Motorcity).

Edit: There better damn well be new episodes of Gravity Falls sometime in the near future >:-\

Still enjoying the show here. However, I hate how terribly inconsistent it is. There'll be a really awesome episode (like the recent Lizard episode) and then a really uninspired and terrible episode (the Electro episode)

Also, the little easter eggs they throw in like the news ticker ("Mistress Death opens bakery. The cupcakes are to die for") are pretty awesome.

Still enjoying the show here. However, I hate how terribly inconsistent it is. There'll be a really awesome episode (like the recent Lizard episode) and then a really uninspired and terrible episode (the Electro episode)

Also, the little easter eggs they throw in like the news ticker ("Mistress Death opens bakery. The cupcakes are to die for") are pretty awesome.
How many stupid asides, Family Guy humor and other BS did they have tonight?

I gave up about five episodes in. Everyone was so one dimensional and annoying. I really prefer spidey when he works alone.

I gave up about five episodes in. Everyone was so one dimensional and annoying. I really prefer spidey when he works alone.
It's the Loeb effect. Nova and Iron Fist are great characters in their own right. Super hero training program is a great concept. Just a bad "creative" team.

How many stupid asides, Family Guy humor and other BS did they have tonight?

Honestly, it was the shoehorned moral they kept hitting you over the head with in Electro that was worse than any of the cutaways which were just pretty uninspired to begin with (but not quite as frequent as other episodes either)

Lizard actually had an awesome little homage to Amazing Friends and a clever (at least in my mind) 8 bit chase scene. Like Family Guy, USM has the basic hit or miss "Like the time..." gags and then they actually have competent jokes and parodies.

Wow, people really don't like this show.

Over a year since it was last updated.

Anyhow bumping this because apparently Spider-verse is coming to season 3

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...man-web-warriors-animated-exclusive/10626739/

I was thinking of making a new thread myself, but apparently Steve Wacker is really cleaning house now that he's in charge of Animation.Getting rid of Man of Action as writers getting Paul Dini to write more episodes. And finally introducing Cloak and Dagger in Animation. I'm actually very excited.

danielcw

The "worst Marvel shows got renewed" thread reminded me, that this show existed.

And season 3 just got its free-to-air premiere over here in Germany, and what can I say, I still like the series.
I missed the first episode of the opening 2-parter, but the second part was a nice action romp, which apparently also laid the groundwork for some more Venom story lines.

In the next episode Flash formed a symbiosis with Venom, which turned out to not make him evil (so far), but actually makes him a super hero ("Agent Venom").

After some Googling, I saw that the "Agent Venom" storyline comes from the comics (of course), but for me it is all new, as is most of the stuff that apparently lies ahead of me in season 3.

As I really liked that episode, I am looking forward to see the rest of the season over the next few weekends, and see some new stuff from the Spider-Man mythos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom