• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Spider-man Season One |OT|: Because Being "Spectacular" is just not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

Like I said in the last USM thread we had, I'll try my hardest not to hold the fact that this isn't Spectacular against it. Man of Action and Bendis working on it give me hope that it'll be at least decent.

don't get this, thanks to dc/marvelgaff recommendation I watched 10 episode generation rex and it sucked really hard.

obnoxious characters and worse of all godawful butt rock music would play whenever the action starts sometimes for no reason just hurt the viewers ears.

A symbiotic created by Doc Ock using Spider-Man's DNA. Has the ability to latch onto anyone and use their powers while taking control of their bodies.

errrr....am areadly not like this venom back story

If this were to be a launching point from just before the death of spider-man in the Ultimate comics, then this would be my favorite show in the entire world.

Wiseblade

Paul Dini should be the biggest sign that this should be good.
I just forgot to mention him! ¬.¬
don't get this, thanks to dc/marvelgaff recommendation I watched 10 episode generation rex and it sucked really hard.

obnoxious characters and worse of all godawful butt rock music would play whenever the action starts sometimes for no reason just hurt the viewers ears.

errrr....am areadly not like this venom back story

Good for you.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The only problem with Spectacular Spidey was it was too good.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, the teaser for this with Spidey's SUPER SECRET SPECIAL SHIELD SPYWATCH set off enough alarm bells to evacuate any hype train on this. Will be giving it a chance but... foisting a teenaged Cage, Iron Fist, White Tiger (???) and Nova in from the off is another... clanging noise. Much more hyped for second EMH season!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The real selling point for me is that Danny Rand is in the show. Any word on how much Iron Fist actually appears?

noah111

Still Alive
I'm letting my younger nephew watch the old 90s cartoon that I used to watch in the morning as kid, and he's loving it. Even my sister gets a bit hooked sometimes; she thinks it's a good show.

Is getting him/the kids into this show worth it? Hell, as someone who has read the entire Ult. Marvel line, is it worth it for me?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm letting my younger nephew watch the old 90s cartoon that I used to watch in the morning as kid, and he's loving it. Even my sister gets a bit hooked sometimes; she thinks it's a good show.

Is getting him/the kids into this show worth it? Hell, as someone who has read the entire Ult. Marvel line, is it worth it for me?

Seems to be only loosely based on the Ultimate line so I'm not sure how many rethreads there'll be. Other than that, not much to go on although there are probably some early reviews from a Wondercon showing of the first ep on CBR.

akira28

I would have prefered an adult PowerMan and IronFist, but eh. The best thing about this is Stan the Man as the Janitor.

Splatt

I don't like Spidey's voice and I didn't enjoy a single show from Man of Action.

The only reason I might watch this is Iron Fist, but I doubt he'll be more than Michelangelo-lite :|

Really excited for this. Glad to see Nova and Iron Fist getting some love, couldn't be a bendis involved project without shoving Luke cage or Nick Fury.

Nesotenso

I'm excited about this show, just for a move away from his origins and the same old stories being retold, and onto some nuts cross-over stuff.

Also, J.K. Simmons as Jonah.

except that spider man doesnt exist in the movies, and wont in the forseeable future

Well yes, that's why they might want to do it with this cartoon. (Clark Gregg's S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent pops up in both the films and this show.)

Way more likely it just exists in its own continuity, though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well yes, that's why they might want to do it with this cartoon. (Clark Gregg's S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent pops up in both the films and this show.)

Way more likely it just exists in its own continuity, though.

most likely. it has just enough from the ultimate marvel series to use the moniker, various other characters to tie it in with similarities to 616, and a splash of the nova that i didnt want(damn you loeb!)

CorvoSol

Spectacular was fantastic but I'll check this out. Has a lot of potential.

Also nice to see some lesser known characters like White Tiger.

Can I be honest and say I thought White Tiger was a character from Dexter's Lab's Dial M for Monkey?

Because I totally thought that.

Anyway I'm all over this show. I loved Spectacular and have been craving more Spidey ever since. I only hope that this show eventually reaches the God-Tier of the Gangland arc.

Spectacular never reached amazing tier for me. Maybe it was because I marathoned it, but it was a little bit too myopic for my tastes. Would have liked to see more enemies.

Nesotenso

New interview by half of the Man of Action (Joe Kelly and Steven Seagle)

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/ultimate-spider-man-seagle-kelly.html

Joe Kelly said:
You read any old Spider-Man, or contemporary Spider-Man, you're in his head, really. His monologues, all that stuff. So we wanted to exploit that in animation. The humor that you get is not just one-liners behind a mask. It's literally, "What is he thinking?" extrapolated into visuals, and breaking the fourth wall, and seeing all this really great animation to enhanced the comedy, and that made it such a different show from anything that's come before.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
breaking the fourth wall...

my shitty spidey-sense is tingling.

CorvoSol

Why is he always in high school?

Because even though Joe Quesada is a horrible, horrible writer and One More Day was an inexcusable pile of filth, he was right that young, single, nerdy Peter Parker sells the best. Which is why there was Ultimate Spider-Man until they decided to replace him.

Although, if memory serves, there was a short-lived series where Peter Parker was a college student voiced by Neil Patrick Harris.

Nesotenso

Because even though Joe Quesada is a horrible, horrible writer and One More Day was an inexcusable pile of filth, he was right that young, single, nerdy Peter Parker sells the best. Which is why there was Ultimate Spider-Man until they decided to replace him.

Although, if memory serves, there was a short-lived series where Peter Parker was a college student voiced by Neil Patrick Harris.

TBH though Quesada's goal here was to create a new generation of Spidey fans like how many of us became familiar with him because of the 90s show. So the launching point of high school/college student is always used. Gets you closer to the earliest days of his crime fighting career.

Mumei

Like I said in the last USM thread we had, I'll try my hardest not to hold the fact that this isn't Spectacular against it. Man of Action and Bendis working on it give me hope that it'll be at least decent.

I feel the same way.

... It does have my interest somewhat piqued at this point.

PdHNl.jpg

Poyunch

I wish it was just solo Spider-man with cameos here and there. And I hate that they made Agent Coulson a character. I get why he was there in the movies to bring a presence to S.H.I.E.L.D. but he's just not that interesting.

Slayven

Can I be honest and say I thought White Tiger was a character from Dexter's Lab's Dial M for Monkey?

Because I totally thought that.

Anyway I'm all over this show. I loved Spectacular and have been craving more Spidey ever since. I only hope that this show eventually reaches the God-Tier of the Gangland arc.

White Tiger(there have been 3) were one of the first latino superheroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom