• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Spider-man Season One |OT|: Because Being "Spectacular" is just not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

LOL they are right, cause people are acting like comic fans regarding this show.

It's not the worst thing in the world to go after a young demo but there are shows which can do that without sacrificing the writing quality. I hope Dini leaves the two shows if he hates working on them. Someone on comicbookmovie was saying how the facebook accounts for Loeb and Man of Action are getting bombarded with negative comments. I hope some one at Marvel Animation is paying attention.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, the Venom ep was bad. Like, really, really bad. I'm really close to give up on this show :/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
and if the rumors are true of Earth's Mightiest Heroes demise in favor of an Ultimates (Avengers) cartoon in the same style and universe. . . you better get used to it :|

Good god; Leob's rationalization for canning EMH sounds really out of touch. Everywhere I look, people are responding positively to better, deeper western dramatic cartoons that have arcs and long game scripting. In fact that's the direction most of the dramatic animated shows are going.

he is the man of spiders!
LOL

Good god; Leob's rationalization for canning EMH sounds really out of touch. Everywhere I look, people are responding positively to better, deeper western dramatic cartoons that have arcs and long game scripting. In fact that's the direction most of the dramatic animated shows are going.
Just look at Young Justice im surprised they attempt half the stuff they do with almost no fear for the young viewers.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The Thor show was good. Character development, great action sequences. NOT SO MANY DAMN CUT AWAYS!

I might have seen a different episode then, mine was full of cutaways, featured thor turned into a disney parody frog (yes, I know what's this supposed to reference), thousands of unfunny, repeating jokes, a stupid Loki, close to none character development and uru for everyone.

Funnily enough, EMH's episode this month shows how to make a Thor episode right. Even featured the dwarf and everything :/

SykoTech

Man, what a disappointing read. It's bad enough that this show is currently so lackluster, but I hoped that it might improve in the future after listening to some fan feedback. Doesn't sound like it.

This is so fustrating. First I get my whole family in love with Spectacular Spider-Man when it was on Disney XD, only for it to get cancelled and replaced by this mediocre show that everyone but my brother and I gave up on 3 episodes ago. Now it seems like the same thing is happening with the Avengers. Everyone loves Earth's Mightiest Heroes and it was the main reason we all went and saw the Avengers movie the first night it came to theaters. The cartoon had us pumped. But it seems it's going to get cancelled for another shallow show that will interest nobody.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There's still a chance Spectacular can come back, right? Right? :(

Why did I let GAF get me into that show. Marathoned it and loved it and now it's dead. I can't even watch this show after having read all the impressions.

Well, at least now I can go back to being an unabashed DC animation fanboy...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
There's still a chance Spectacular can come back, right? Right? :(

Why did I let GAF get me into that show. Marathoned it and loved it and now it's dead. I can't even watch this show after having read all the impressions.

Well, at least now I can go back to being an unabashed DC animation fanboy...

People hated on it after the first episode. It was never gonna live up to the hype that spectacular left. The only major issue is that they ran this series so close to it instead of holding off for a few more years.

Wiseblade

People hated on it after the first episode. It was never gonna live up to the hype that spectacular left. The only major issue is that they ran this series so close to it instead of holding off for a few more years.

The actual lack of quality in this show doesn't help either.

Parallax

The actual lack of quality in this show doesn't help either.

Its not bad for what it is. The animation and design is better than spectaculars, but the characters are off. Cut down two douchebags, and make it spiderman and the heroes for hire, and the show becomes much better.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So far the other characters have had very little chance to shine.

Slayven

Its not bad for what it is. The animation and design is better than spectaculars, but the characters are off. Cut down two douchebags, and make it spiderman and the heroes for hire, and the show becomes much better.

SO you say, but it is plenty fuel for my Ayala/Peter/Ariana fic.

CorvoSol

I can't stand Peter Parker's voice, that's all. And I wish they'd spend more time focusing on the Peter Parker section of the show, since Peter's relationship to Harry and MJ has always been a big thing in Spider-Man. But otherwise, I'm enjoying the idea of Spidey touring the who's-who of Marvel. GIVE ME X-MEN.

Wiseblade

I despise the character designs, and this show has yet to truly demonstrate fluid, dynamic movement in the same way Spectacular did.

But really, this show just screams of missed potential. When I originally heard the "Ultimate" title and of Bendis' involvement, I thought we'd get a more grounded show that was a light deconstruction of the Superhero genre. Instead, I was presented with Scott Pilgrim meets the Superfriends.

SRidge52

Banned
So I finally got around to watching this show and....

Terrible. Just terrible.

But instead of going on and on about how great Spectacular was and how awful this is, I'm going to throw a swerve...

Any of you guys remember Spider-Man Unlimited? It only had like 7 or 8 episodes back in the 90's/early 00's, but it was one of my favorite Spidey cartoons. I loved the idea and the premise. Voice actors and story telling was great and it's a shame it didn't last long at all.

I think Pokemon was to blame for that one.

Poyunch

Terrible. Just terrible.

But instead of going on and on about how great Spectacular was and how awful this is, I'm going to throw a swerve...

Any of you guys remember Spider-Man Unlimited? It only had like 7 or 8 episodes back in the 90's/early 00's, but it was one of my favorite Spidey cartoons. I loved the idea and the premise. Voice actors and story telling was great and it's a shame it didn't last long at all.

Too bad the villains were a bunch of Beastmen. I still wish the design got some love in Spider-man cameos though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Terrible. Just terrible.

I liked that cartoon and was very confused when it ended with a cliffhanger. No internet at the time and I thought the local channel didn't want to air the new episodes. Most people don't seem to have much love for this show but I thought it was interesting at the time.

Parallax

people liked unlimited outside of the pseudo 2099 costume? i must have taken some crazy pills.

Well you like this show, so :p

But I actually did enjoy Spider-Man Unlimited a bit. Ended on a cliffhanger, but whatever, I guess.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still pissed Spectacular season 2 isn't up on NetFlix streaming. I never bothered to watch the show when it was originally on, then was bored one day a few months ago and decided to check out season 1. It was waaaay better than I had anticipated, but was bummed to find out season 2 was only available via disc. Screw that.

Its not as bad as spec fans are claiming, but its got a bunch flaws that need to be worked out.

No, I tried to watch this show for a while. Tried to ignore that Spectacular was. I wanted to put that aside because, let me be honest, I just wanted a good Spider-Man show. Six-ish episodes and... I hate this show.

the chris

Posted this information in the 'Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes' thread but I figured it pertained to this show too.

http://www.marveltvnews.com/2012/06/13/exclusive-agent-x-spills-the-bean-on-the-future-of-marvel-animation-and-did-he-just-mention-a-new-x-men-tv-series/

- Marvel knows how much fans hate the show. They know, that they messed up when they could have brought both kids and adults fans together, instead of focusing on the children. Regardless of what their PR BS makes it sound, the reason Ultimate Spider-man has been renewed for a second season, is that the network ordered the second season WAY before the series debut. The publicity stunt Marvel pulled by stating the show has been renewed by popular demand, is just a strategy to try and tell fans that people like this show maybe you should give it a second chance.

- Ratings for the show are not good. He then gave me the following example: If you have 10 people watching a channel, then you introduce a new show, and instantly 200 are watching, but after 2 weeks the number goes down to 60 you still have bad ratings drop, yet its way better than the original 10 they had before the show. Agent X wants you to look at that statement carefully and you will know the “TRUE” meaning of Marvel ratings PR stunt.

- Chances are more than high that Ultimate Spider-man will conclude after season 2. There will be some minor changes to the show during its 2013 season (a bit less in your face humor, a tiny bit more drama, and less scripts from “man of action” while more from Bendis and Dini). If by chance, the fans embrace the show in its second season it will be renewed, otherwise a new Spider-man show will replace it. Early talk about a series in the same tone as the upcoming movie reboot have been discussed, but nothing more than just that: discussion. Agent X also still urges the fans to show their disapproval of the show, since Marvel is listening, although it takes months and years for the company to answer the cries.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Who is "Agent X"? Who is "Man of Action"? Why can't anyone in this business just use their fucking name?

the chris

Who is "Agent X"? Who is "Man of Action"? Why can't anyone in this business just use their fucking name?

Man of Action is the alias of a group of comic writers consisting of: Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau, Joe Casey and Steven T. Seagle. Agent X I believe is someone who works in the Marvel animation department that doesn't want to make his identity known because he is leaking information like this.

abundant

Wait...so...a second season but real change won't happen unless it stays for a 3rd and people continue to whine?

No, season 2 will have some slight changes like less cut away gags and a little bit more drama. Episodes like "Venom" and "Exclusive" show that with just a little tweaking, which they are going to do in season 2, this show can be good.

SykoTech

I found both Venom and Exclusive to be lame. Especially Venom.

The Taskmaster episode is the only one that I felt was (somewhat) good so far.

No, season 2 will have some slight changes like less cut away gags and a little bit more drama. Episodes like "Venom" and "Exclusive" show that with just a little tweaking, which they are going to do in season 2, this show can be good.

Ahh, ok then I'm all for that then.

SykoTech

They had this odd weird, round shape to them

But I forgave it because it animated so damn well.

The episode where he fights the giant Sandman.. mah heavens

Definitely agree there. I was turned off by Spectacular's designs back before it came on, but the animation more than made up for it. The animation in Ultimate can even begin to compare to the fight with giant Sandman or Blacksuit Spidey vs Sinister Six.

Definitely agree there. I was turned off by Spectacular's designs back before it came on, but the animation more than made up for it. The animation in Ultimate can even begin to compare to the fight with giant Sandman or Blacksuit Spidey vs Sinister Six.

I still love Spectacular for this, but USM has had some good sequences IMHO: The first Venom fight, Batroc the Leaper, and the Taskmaster fight really impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom