• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Skab

To this day I still don't know what to do against Ryu, Chun, and Gief as Makoto. I know it's probably scrubby, but the just completely shut me down every time.

vulva

Get a knockdown on chun then do a safe jump with makoto's axe kick to either blow up wakeup SBKs or just continue pressure. Chun crumbles once you're up close.

dankir

Who else just loves watching Smug's Dudley play? It's the most entertaining shit ever.

Dat reaction time and pokes.

I didn't even know Dudley could pull 99% of the shit Smug does. Are there any better Dudley players out there?

Onemic

Playing Fei really makes me realize how bad my AA game is.

Who else just loves watching Smug's Dudley play? It's the most entertaining shit ever.

Dat reaction time and pokes.

I didn't even know Dudley could pull 99% of the shit Smug does. Are there any better Dudley players out there?

Kokujin, if he was serious about sf4.

sixghost

I realize this is probably too broad a question to actually answer, but do you guys have any general advice for dealing with tons of aggression. I feel like anyone that knows how to follow up a knockdown or a combo with block strings and frame traps just crushes me. I don't really know enough about the game to be 100% about what I can punish on block, so I just kind of sit there and do my best to block while looking for a way out, or just mash lk/lp. I'm playing Makoto btw, so she doesn't really have a panic button like dragon punch. These are always the most frustrating matches because it feels like one knockdown and it's over.

mbpm1

I realize this is probably too broad a question to actually answer, but do you guys have any general advice for dealing with tons of aggression. I feel like anyone that knows how to follow up a knockdown or a combo with block strings and frame traps just crushes me. I don't really know enough about the game to be 100% about what I can punish on block, so I just kind of sit there and do my best to block while looking for a way out, or just mash lk/lp. I'm playing Makoto btw, so she doesn't really have a panic button like dragon punch. These are always the most frustrating matches because it feels like one knockdown and it's over.

Narrow your focus and learn the block strings and frame traps. Experiment with what way if any you can do to beat the ones that are giving you trouble and use them when you can.

For me it's the NFL season plus Fantasy Football. Last year I didn't play the game for 2 months from October till January of this year. Right now I checked my Steam profile and it says I've only played 1.9 hour in the past 2 weeks(this is the only game I play) and it was already declining before then compared to what it was normally. Right now I'm so locked into the season both following the playoff race and constantly checking in on my fantasy league whether its looking for free agents or studying my players match ups.

If it's anything like last year, I may not start playing more heavily until February of next year. It's not like I can't play of course, it's just that my attention isn't there so I don't want to force myself to play when my mind is constantly on something else. I'll still play if one of you guys ask me though. But I'll probably avoid randoms for a little while and mainly stick to stream/youtube monstering for my USF4 needs.

BTW do one of you guys go by the name "Gungnir". I received that invite but I'm not sure I know the name. Just want to know it's a GAF'er first before I accept.

alstein

At this point SFIV is what I do when I only have a few minutes and want some games, though I might get sucked in the vortex if I'm annoyed.

Rather play FFXIV, AOW3, or some roguelike right now. I'm waiting for 98UM really, just hope that November date is solid- starting to get a little worried.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, please help. I don't know what the hell's going on, but recently there has been Extreme lag on Japanese PSN. I always had a silky smooth connection with almost everyone I played online before, as if playing versus. Tons of players, all with full green bars, both during the search and in lobby.

Lately, it's been absolutely unplayable. Lots of people flash during the search, but there are still usually a bunch of greens. Sometimes when you get into a lobby it's suddenly yellow or red bars (at which point someone naturally leaves or gets kicked).

Sometimes the green bars stay green, but once you get into a match, it's horrendous. Very frequent pauses of "Waiting for other player..." and very little responsiveness. It's not even "lag" at this point, you literally have no control at times. The bizarre thing is that often the other player seems completely unaffected. They are moving all over, pulling off combos and reacting well to stuff, while I can't even get a fireball out because not all the motions go through.

I had one particularly frustrating encounter tonight, where I convincingly demolished a Ken player during r1 (the connection seemed fine), only to be taunted at the start of r2, followed by unbearable lag and a painfully slow, drawn-out defeat. He did U2 from full screen, and I just held back - only to have it connect. It was not only crazy and annoying, but also somewhat suspicious.

Does anyone have any insight into the above symptoms? This isn't a one-off thing. If anyone has experienced something similar or plays in Japan and knows what I'm talking about then please chime in.

I'm playing WIRED with no other devices plugged into the router, and nothing using wi-fi. (And yes, I was definitely using my JP account as always).
Thanks in advance.

I really hate PC netcode, having at tough battle with my friend he's Chun Li i am messing around with Dan, both have little health left, a medium punch kills either of us, so he Jumps in lands in front of me then magically appeared behind me.

kiaaa

I really hate PC netcode, having at tough battle with my friend he's Chun Li i am messing around with Dan, both have little health left, a medium punch kills either of us, so he Jumps in lands in front of me then magically appeared behind me.

huh? The PC netcode has always been perfectly fine for me in endless. That doesn't sound like lag anyways.

mbpm1

I had one particularly frustrating encounter tonight, where I convincingly demolished a Ken player during r1 (the connection seemed fine), only to be taunted at the start of r2, followed by unbearable lag and a painfully slow, drawn-out defeat. He did U2 from full screen, and I just held back - only to have it connect. It was not only crazy and annoying, but also somewhat suspicious.

JP players on them lagswitch tactics.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
JP players on them lagswitch tactics.

For reals, this was the first time I've suspected a genuine case of lag switching.

I mean, he was playing as Ken so I could give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was just being cocky. But still... surely it can't be everyone doing this!

cackhyena

I cannot believe what a piece of shit the PC version still is. It's absolutely ridiculous. Is anyone else getting kicked out of matches because you get a sign saying disconnected from Steam? Every single time I start up this game, it says performing first time setup. I don't even...

USD

I think Alioune said at one point that Poison loses to Juri. Apparently Juri's EX DP punishes cr.MK on block and none of her options are true blockstrings. I'm a scrub so I have no clue how the matchup goes though, but Juri does have a divekick lol.

Crouch MK into L Whip of Love (very space dependent), EX Whip of Love or EX Aeolus Edge are true block strings. She can also cancel into Backflip. Crouch MP is a better poke overall anyway, it just lacks the range of MK and doesn't hit low.

Also just testing in training mode quickly, with a well-spaced Crouch MK, EX Senpusha will simply whiff.

Myn

I cannot believe what a piece of shit the PC version still is. It's absolutely ridiculous. Is anyone else getting kicked out of matches because you get a sign saying disconnected from Steam? Every single time I start up this game, it says performing first time setup. I don't even...

I was getting kicked yesterday with the disconnected from Steam message yesterday in particular but I looked and they were doing Steam maintenance, although if it's been a consistent problem for you, it's probably on your end.

cackhyena

I was getting kicked yesterday with the disconnected from Steam message yesterday in particular but I looked and they were doing Steam maintenance, although if it's been a consistent problem for you, it's probably on your end.
It's not consistent with the kicking, but the problems still persist with lag and straight drops from people that otherwise say green or yellow bars. It can't be on my end. Whenever I'm on, my speeds are fine and my computer is more than up to the task for the game. I know it's still a shitshow having checked the STEAM forums for the game yesterday. It's just crazy to me that I had a much smoother experience on my 360 back when.

i also randomly get the "logged out from steam" message and kicks me off once in a while. not consistent enough to notice a pattern, but annoying when it happens.

k_hop

Hi, first time really looking for games here and I'm bound to be rusty af from not playing regularly in a while--but looking to get back in the swing. Anyone (preferably EC) wanna play on PC at some point today? Steam ID's in profile.

mbpm1

Played against a Guy player about my level. We both got each other to pixel health. For like 30 seconds we ran around trying to hit each other with tatsus, fireballs, random bushin flips, random slide and overheads. It was ridiculous lol

Destiny is the only game within four years to make me not play SFIV in a month.

Same. You on PS4? We should get all the Fight GAF people on a raid or strike team some time. I see jlai on destiny often as well.

I still love SF4, though. I think about this damn game every day.

ethanny2

Is there any good way to clear distance with Makato? I keep getting shut out by fireball characters who can keep me at bay. I keep getting perfected, gettin saltly.

stn

Is there any good way to clear distance with Makato? I keep getting shut out by fireball characters who can keep me at bay. I keep getting perfected, gettin saltly.
Unless its Guile or Poison you shouldn't be having issues with fireballs. Her forward dash and focus attack are both amazing, use them in conjunction with smart jumping. And I say this as a very defensive Gouken player who has huge issues with Makoto.

ethanny2

Unless its Guile or Poison you shouldn't be having issues with fireballs. Her forward dash and focus attack are both amazing, use them in conjunction with smart jumping. And I say this as a very defensive Gouken player who has huge issues with Makoto.

Lol, it actually was Guile and poison. Well I guess, I am just bad at this game =<, I can't hit any of Makoto's combos. Like C.lp C.lp C.lk lp.hayate. Any tips?

stn

I don't play Makoto but you want to try the following to avoid fireballs:

1. Focus forward and dash a lot.
2. Neutral jump at the right distance.
3. Build U2 by focusing fireballs early on.
4. Use instant axe kick at the tip to make it safe.
5. Once in range, you should be able to stuff projectiles with cr. mp

As for her combos, just grind it out.

Onemic

I don't play Makoto but you want to try the following to avoid fireballs:

1. Focus forward and dash a lot.
2. Neutral jump at the right distance.
3. Build U2 by focusing fireballs early on.
4. Use instant axe kick at the tip to make it safe.
5. Once in range, you should be able to stuff projectiles with cr. mp

As for her combos, just grind it out.

I don't play Makoto, but I've tried this and I keep getting punished for it. I'll focus dash a fireball and I'm usually either in a situation where I'm at frame disadvantage because the opponent will recover before I recover from my dash, or I'll focus dash and they'll recover with enough time to punish the focus dash. This happens most often with Ryu/Akuma

Top Bottom